Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 15, 2019 6:28 PM

Jan 2018
I loved the ramen video
Nov 15, 2019 8:29 PM

Sep 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:

I don't have a very critical mindset when it comes to critiquing anime, so I'd love to hear your criticisms of the anime.

I think your writing at the top of your message could be considered criticism, and that's pretty much what I criticized about the anime.

But, if you want to hear how I can best give a quick summary of this anime, here it goes:

I like this anime, I really do, but just like every other anime I've watched, I've noticed faults. Most of it is in the writing, but that was expected because the writer of this show is famous for making another with a really great start and completely fumbling with it in the end. I love the main character, and I think some of the other characters are great too, and my criticism is not really set on the characters. I also love the music: though recycled, it works really well. The opening is perfect, in my opinion, because it's not long and drawn out and shows a whole lot of shit I don't care about, which is typical in most other animes, and this is the only show that I have yet to skip the opening for every single episode. I also like the lack of stereotypes in the show and how this is a more adult, original, and realistic type of anime, though not completely realistic, obviously, because Magase is superhuman.

Here is where the criticism comes in, so far, but it's really short:
The debate was fucking terrible, and I personally believe that it has been the worst part of this show thus far. It had zero good points, it had zero emotion, and it was clearly just a really quickly written piece of garbage that was simply to progress the story and introduce the kid as the son of Itsuki.

And actually, thinking about it again, I can't think of another criticism I've had so far. If you scroll through this thread, you may find my rants, and maybe I've said some other stuff, but I can't remember as of the moment.
Nov 15, 2019 8:32 PM

Sep 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
I don't have a very critical mindset when it comes to critiquing anime, so I'd love to hear your criticisms of the anime.

This anime's one of my top animes, and I could definitely put more criticism into a few of the animes on my completed list, namely the romantic animes.

Tip to watching a romantic anime: Always expect a nonsensical, shit ending and a really odd beginning. Just watch for everything in between and it's worth it.
Nov 15, 2019 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
@phynto

I understand why you think the debate didn't have good points, but no emotion? Most of the arguments were appealing to emotion.
Nov 15, 2019 8:36 PM

Sep 2019
phynto said:
Tip to watching a romantic anime: Always expect a nonsensical, shit ending and a really odd beginning. Just watch for everything in between and it's worth it.

For your information, that's not actually me giving you a tip on watching anime, being you have far more experience; that's just what I consider my main point when criticizing that genre.
Nov 15, 2019 8:37 PM

Sep 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
@phynto

I understand why you think the debate didn't have good points, but no emotion? Most of the arguments were appealing to emotion.

I agree, sorry, that was a really fucking dumb thing to say, I was typing in a big hurry.
Nov 16, 2019 3:05 AM

Jul 2017
Everything isn't going well with Seizaki, even his wife and kid isn't to Itsuki's ideals within the Shiniki state. And with that, his arrest isn't imminent due to the lack of evidence, but thereof, another tactic to kidnap the person instead.

The public debate about Itsuki's suicide law...was indeed interesting, but it isn't an open-and-shut case of dismissing the law, there are certainly loopholes on different POVs that make sense and not, as is with fallacy in politics. In Japan, true as though may be, suicides ARE A THING, and suicide rate is on the above-average levels when compared to levels faced in other countries, and that's insane. But how Itsuki confronted all these is with the thought that ORDINARY humans could see death in front of their eyes, whereas the others could NOT see EYE TO EYE.

BUT when that masked kid who went viral about this message the last episode appeared, to run for parliament is black-and-white, I DID NOT EXPECT THAT PLOT TWIST that it would be his son. Would it be a father-and-son battle over suicide?
Nov 16, 2019 3:08 AM

Jul 2014
ziad1419 said:
MurukoHiiragi said:
This show has some flaws but still it's enjoyable, it is clear that itsuki has trupm cards but the son was unexpected. If kidnapping doesnt work then just kill lol but ai is another problem

Brother
If you don't like this show should drop it
Don't talk shit about it
Babylon is good show

I actually liked the show, i even said it is enjoyable even if there are some small flaws. And the unexpected event was great. Im not talking shit lol
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Nov 16, 2019 5:02 AM

Jan 2016
tbh, I agree more with Itsuki's arguments. Also, I didn't expect for that boy to be his son.
Nov 16, 2019 7:26 AM

Jul 2015
MurukoHiiragi said:
ziad1419 said:

Brother
If you don't like this show should drop it
Don't talk shit about it
Babylon is good show

I actually liked the show, i even said it is enjoyable even if there are some small flaws. And the unexpected event was great. Im not talking shit lol

I don’t where in your prior post they got the ideal you hated the show.
Nov 16, 2019 12:16 PM

Dec 2013
Bro, it's twist after twist with this show. I love it!
Nov 16, 2019 9:31 PM

Jun 2013
Itsuki did a great job countering their arguments. To be honest, I don't like the concept of suicide but if a person feels like that is what they truly want and nothing can change their mind then it's ultimately up to them. Yes, there are those who regret it after they attempt suicide and eventually survive but we can't really tell how a person felt or what they thought if they successfully went through with the suicide. In my opinion, a person needs to make an effort to help themselves, who is to say they did everything or not? I'm not very good at constructing or conveying my argument but whether they ban or legalize suicide, it will still happen.

Seizaki was shooked when Nomaru brought in Itsuki's kid. That was a good move on Nomaru's part. Politicians always know how to play people. We had a local politician hold a banquet and that secured him votes because the people in our city, unfortunately, can be easily bought by something like that.

I'm wondering though, does Itsuki really want to commit suicide? What for? Or did he only orchestrate that to lead his son to make that YouTube video and everything that's happening now is being manipulated by him, Ai and the rest of his cult?
臭い-
Nov 17, 2019 3:01 AM

Mar 2014
In hindsight, it's kinda weird that the guys investigating itsuki's whereabouts didn't even consider contacting his family let alone even mentioning he had a family. Also weird that the fat politician guy who got itsuki in the mayor's seat didn't know anything about his family.

But who knows, im writing this before ep 7 has been released and they could address these problems in future episodes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Nov 17, 2019 3:07 AM

Mar 2014
terminador_2397 said:
MurukoHiiragi said:

I don’t where in your prior post they got the ideal you hated the show.

Pro tip: Generally when someone has shitty grammar it's safe to ignore their post.
That one was on the house, the next tip will cost ya.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Nov 17, 2019 12:44 PM

Jul 2012
Oh fuck, the plot thickens. I wonder what will happen next!

This is one of the few anime that make politics really exciting lol.
Nov 22, 2019 12:35 PM

Dec 2016
that debate was my fucking shit - itsuki's a fascinating character, and it's getting hard to dislike him
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Dec 4, 2019 5:44 PM
Feb 2019
OMG THAT SCRIPT AMAZING

The dialogues of this anime are also exceptional, especially the lines of Itsuki, he's a perfect character
Dec 5, 2019 3:18 PM

Oct 2013
I agree with the sentiment that the arguments were sueprficial and inconsistent, not because they are fundamentally wrong, but ridiculously diluted.

That said, I understood the crux of Itsuki's argument and I'm convinced in legalizing suicide. LET'S DO IT, BOYS.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 14, 2019 12:29 PM
Dec 2015
Okay, that is what I call an amazing plot twist.
Jan 28, 2020 5:16 AM
Apr 2016
Both sides had interesting thought-provoking arguments, really makes me think. The plot twist at the end was unexpected... I felt my chest drop as he was walking up to the child—sudden realization is scary.
Jan 28, 2020 8:43 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was very dumb. The kidnapping plan, the debate, dumb!
The mayor said he wanted to decrease the suicide numbers and no one jumped at the chance to point out how much it increased since his announcement of the new law, which just outright proves him wrong.
And there's no way that the old man wouldn't know who's the kid's father
Dumb!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jan 31, 2020 2:09 PM

Jul 2015
Some good arguments not the greatest though, I definitely felt like some of the counter arguments were weak like the one about decreasing suicide rates because people would talk about it and if they don't find another way, suicide would be the answer. I think that the flaw is that people are humans and humans can make mistakes, so even if you don't find another way that doesn't automatically make suicide as a correct answer

Feb 9, 2020 7:08 PM

Aug 2008
Got to say, Magase Ai interests me, this inane suicide law does not. The dumb plot twist at the end really does not work for me either, the show is making everyone look incompetent to hand the mayor a victory. to get "oooooh"s from the audience. Now we also have the people who are the ones defending the law are planning on kidnapping the guy. Pfft, Poor episode.

Feb 15, 2020 3:15 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah this episode just established something that's been bugging me since episode 3 that is suicide was and is currently indeed legal in Japan. Itsuki claims that "currently in Japan, suicide is not a crime" but he goes on to say that it's seen as a form of running away so by imposing the suicide law, it will be seen as a choice.

I. can. not. wrap. my. head. around. this. argument.

There was literally nothing stopping people from committing suicide before but somehow after Itsuki declared the law, the death toll spiked to bigger numbers. How does that even make sense. Unless if all those people were prompted by something else in which case it can be ruled as assisted suicide which is a crime in itself.

Every single episode... I just can't wrap my head around this suicide law that Itsuki proposes. Nomaru claims that there are roughly 20,000 Japanese citizens who commit suicide of their own accord annually and that he acknowledges that the suicide law would actually help those people. In what sense actually? That's what I want to know.

And really Nomaru? You decided to involve a literal child into politics? That was your brilliant solution to the problem? Apparently, there are no age restrictions or even qualifications to run for a position in government in this anime.

What the fuck was that plot twist? Are you saying they just dumbed down everyone else to make Itsuki seem better than he actually is? They were busy trying to find Itsuki's whereabouts and yet not a single one of them tried to contact/investigate his family or something? Nomaru was literally the one who introduced Itsuki to us and you're telling me he does not know a single thing about him?

I also don't get how kidnapping Itsuki would be a good idea. They can't issue a warrant against him because apparently, he followed all the necessary procedures and they don't know what charge to press against him but then again, literally after he announced the suicide law, a big number of people just decided to kill themselves. Shouldn't they be able to establish a correlation between the two?

There also the arguments Itsuki makes where he compares suicide to marijuana use. How is he gonna convince everyone that the suicide law will decrease the number of deaths when literally after it got announced, a fuck ton of people just offed themselves. He also claims that by implementing the suicide law, people will start taking it seriously. In what sense actually? Even before the law, people already talk about their problems and contemplate suicide as an option and even if it will be implemented in the future, there's nothing stopping people from committing suicide of their own choice.
Dull_LullFeb 15, 2020 3:21 AM
Feb 19, 2020 8:53 AM
Nov 2019
Definitely mind blown with this episode. I didnt expect the ending for sure. Itsuki is one scary creep indeed. This episode has definitely validated my views towards the government.

Also it was great that Seizaki’s wife was shown unharmed. I was worried that they’d get to them without him knowing. I mean he’s already in way too deep
Mar 30, 2020 3:30 AM

Dec 2013
I'm so scared right now. And the plot twist is very unexpected that I feel my insides clench. Can't believe that Zen will come up with the idea but I'm having pessimistic thoughts here oh god. Please

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 8, 2020 12:30 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Tbh i can't quite follow the story in this episodes. Too much perspective happen, and the scenes with the debates too boring for me. Even the twists with the kid confession do not surprised me much. I know these show really want to tease everything. But, their attempt there really poor, and i dislike the decision. Well, what is the more focuses on me was Zen's plan. Let see how he handle this whole evil plan to kidnap the major
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 26, 2020 11:41 AM
Mar 2019
It really sucks that it isn't clear what the exact law is that's being debated.
Is it decriminalization of suicide, is it legalization of assisted suicide and/or euthanasia, is it lowering the requirements that need to be met before someone may be euthanized?
We don't know and that makes it all the harder to evaluate the debate.
I'm going to assume the legalization of assisted suicide for now, because this seems to be the most extreme but still realistic position to have. And I guess this would face major position from a population that's more traditional.

I heard about the debate and that's what initially attracted me to this anime. But after this, I can only say that I'm disappointed.
The strongest argument against the law was the economic argument, but the guy barely elaborated.

I don't think I get the second argument that well. Suicide is obviously against moral rules. But why?
Plus he says something about societal collapse. I'm assuming he means that a loot more people would choose suicide.
But that's not the case. Out of the 6 countries where assisted suicide is legal, only Switzerland and Belgium have suicide rates higher than the global mean, and both are still lower than Japan.
I guess I could imagine an increase in suicides when assisted suicide becomes legal, but it wouldn't be that much. Maybe a few more per 100k people. I don't think the legality of suicide, assisted or not, matters all that much in how much it actually happens.
But then again, I also see where he's coming from, because the show mentions that suicides have increased 2.8x.

I kinda get where the 3th guy was coming from, but we don't know what it means when Shiniki's and Japan's laws conflict. Does Japanese law thriumph when it's conflicting, like it does for federal and state law in USA? We don't know, they haven't made that clear yet, so I don't know if I'd count this as a good argument.
Also, it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that the whole population would be under violation of whatever law that says that assisted suicide is illegal.

I don't get the last one. This is also the one that kinda indicates that it's not merely an assisted suicide law, but it could also be that he's just a very old and traditional geezer.

Now onto Itzuki's arguments.
Suicide wouldn't be running away but a choice, and because of that, it might actually decrease?!?!? WUT. I don't get the first half, and the second half is blatantly false, because the show mentions a 2.8x increase.
His second argument is where he compares the decriminalization and/or legalization of weed with suicide. I kinda like that one. I don't know if this is true irl, but I'll assume so for now. There is still the point that weed usage might depend a lot more on other factors besides the legality of it, and the point that suicide and drug use are very different things and shouldn't be compared that way.

His argument on laws and societal values changing over time is spot on.

His point on de-stigmatizing suicide is ok.

I think he also made a point on wether laws should even be allowed to have a say on what you do with your body (as long as you're not harming others), which is an excellent point too.

The rest, including the plot twist was emotional fluff, and while exiting, not that interesting to talk about. (well, besides the fact that the person running a background check on the boy is probably a puppet for the other side, and weird that Nomaru didn't suspect anything, especially since he and Itzuki were co-conspirators )

But yeah, there were so many actual good arguments to choose from, and they went with stupid shit.
Stuff like
the law may cause uncaring family members to push for suicides(inheritances, stop being a burden, insert reason based on greed here).
The law may remove incentives to further improve the various systems that failed.

Stuff like the needless suffering that would go away if people could get legally assisted suicide?

Or since it's japan, you could focus on the dignity aspect of choosing when/how to die instead of slowly withering away, with a lot of pain or with decreasing mental facilities, etc.

They also could've added more nuance, instead of for or against, we could've had members disagreeing on details of the law.

All in all, this was a disappointing episode, but that was mainly caused because some people really hyped me up for the debate.

Jun 30, 2020 10:52 PM

Jul 2016
Well, between four candidates, I was expecting to see at least one of them making Itsuki drop a sweat but nope. In the end, the debate was basically the Mayor playing the other candidates like a champ as well as seeing him fooling Nomaru in his face for the second time.
But man, seeing this politicians acting so "polite" sure made me feel ashamed of the ones in my country.

Now seriously, it was another highly captivating episode. The debate was truly interesting to see and I found most of the arguments and perspectives being displayed quite convincing. In particular, Nomaru resorting to the emotional side of the voters was a really smart move and I gotta say that I absolutely loved the BGM used when the kid's postulation twist was revealed.
Now this said, the fact that nobody checked the identity of the kid or his family background is completely stupid. Probably the biggest flaw in writing so far.

On the other hand, Seizaki deciding to kidnap Mayor Itsuki sounds kinda desperate from his part in my opinion so I hope he has a solid strategy behind this decision.
Aug 18, 2020 12:47 PM

Jun 2013
MassiveAtoms said:

Suicide wouldn't be running away but a choice, and because of that, it might actually decrease?!?!? WUT. I don't get the first half, and the second half is blatantly false, because the show mentions a 2.8x increase.
His second argument is where he compares the decriminalization and/or legalization of weed with suicide. I kinda like that one. I don't know if this is true irl, but I'll assume so for now. There is still the point that weed usage might depend a lot more on other factors besides the legality of it, and the point that suicide and drug use are very different things and shouldn't be compared that way.

Neither true nor false, he's cherry picking countries to agree with his opinion (France vs Netherlands). It would not works with Canada (legal and 44% of consumers) and Japan (illegal 1-2%) or basically any other country except US.
Oct 19, 2020 7:48 PM
Oct 2019
Screw this show.

4/10

Dropped
HagePotPotatoOct 20, 2020 8:18 AM
Nov 28, 2020 10:07 PM

Jun 2016
That ending was so stupid. The debate itself was mediocre.

Jul 14, 2022 10:38 AM
Mar 2018
I thought the liberal justice party was the one behind the kid. What a twist
May 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Jun 2010
Honestly, quite disappointed with the "debate". It was so incredibly shallow, both from the points and counter-points being made and the missing engagement of the participants. I kind of expected to have a deeper dive into the implications of the law and suicide in general. And to have an actual back and forth. With the participants engaging with the counterpoints and argueing against them. Stringing the whole thing together into a coherent discussion. But that didn't happen. The participants made their arguments one after the other and they were dismissed by the flimsiest of handwaves. Which just left them with shouting in opposition. Quite honestly it feels a bit like the author didn't have the wherewithal to write an intelligent discussion. Which makes me worry about the quality of the rest of the series.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Babylon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2020

118 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 7, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2019

319 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 6, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2020

442 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2019

157 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2020

98 by VanniePon »»
Feb 16, 6:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.