Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 8, 3:51 AM

I just had the idea that we could discuss about our favourite studios and what makes them great. Factors I am considering are Animation quality, fluidity, variety of shows, overall reception, seiyuu cast, background music and many many more aspects.

This is a rather open topic so feel free to contribute.

My favourite studios are Madhouse, Ufotable and KyoAni

Nov 8, 4:05 AM

Arms excels at ecchi
Doga Kobo loves to make cute girls anime
Sunrise excels at robot anime
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Nov 8, 4:06 AM

SHAFT excels at smoking weed and I love them for it

Nov 8, 4:15 AM

Gythia said:

and don't forget about dem head tilts
"Even if there's a wide world and stories
beyond the main focus, I don't think
it's necessary to end with the protagonist having
been involved in everything." - Yagi Norihiro

Nov 8, 4:16 AM

Catalano said:
Gythia said:

It's part of the package, weed does that to people

Nov 8, 4:19 AM

Kyoto Animaition excels at not only animation, but using subtle, realistic, and detailed character animation to convey drama in a believable way. I can't think of any other studio that puts that much effort into character animation. And visual storytelling. They adapt source materials in such way that they're able to properly transform it and use the strengths of the medium of animation to tell the story visually in the best way possible. They're also pretty good at building atmosphere, with hand drawn background art that look "lived in" (and not generic CGI backgrounds), along with good lighting, and immersive sound design.

Nov 8, 5:31 AM

PA Works: Grounded SoLs that are mostly set in the countryside since the studio itself is located in the sticks.

Kyoto Animation: Pure character animation to tell a story.

Trigger: Old-school, big, bombastic action shows.

SHAFT: Encapsulates the exact experience of smoking some strong weed.

Ufotable: The extremely high-quality, cutting edge digital effects and CG in anime.

Bones: Well-choreographed, hand-drawn fight scenes that blow you away. Even Akagami no Shirayukihime has great hand-drawn fights.

Doga Kobo: Basically hold a monopoly on the CGDQT manga adaptations and are damn great at it.

Stay Strong, KyoAni.

Nov 8, 5:42 AM

Gythia said:
Catalano said:

It's part of the package, weed does that to people

Getting people high with weed means high ratings.

Nov 8, 5:55 AM

It's a mix-bag feelings for me after I saw the asian boss channel - interview with a japanese animator. So studios actually works together with each other so they can survive those tight airing schedules. I'd like to assume that veteran animators are those who are able to make an anime stand out from the rest.

So getting to know those who stays around popular / recognizable people in anime industry would be helpful in picking out what anime that's worth trying out.

People talk about anime tropes, but now I think we add about digital drawing tropes.

On topic, it's ufotable for me and the obligatory kimetsu no yaiba mention. Like I can't say which studio made Sword Art Online even though it's my fav.

Nov 8, 6:34 AM
KamisamaHatatan said:
I just had the idea that we could discuss about our favourite studios and what makes them great. Factors I am considering are Animation quality, fluidity, variety of shows, overall reception, seiyuu cast, background music and many many more aspects.

This is a rather open topic so feel free to contribute.

My favourite studios are Madhouse, Ufotable and KyoAni

Madhouse used to be really good at psychological thriller and making really good animation. Nowadays they are just hit of miss.

I agree with this post 100%

raisin-kun said:
PA Works: Grounded SoLs that are mostly set in the countryside since the studio itself is located in the sticks.

Kyoto Animation: Pure character animation to tell a story.

Trigger: Old-school, big, bombastic action shows.

SHAFT: Encapsulates the exact experience of smoking some strong weed.

Ufotable: The extremely high-quality, cutting edge digital effects and CG in anime.

Bones: Well-choreographed, hand-drawn fight scenes that blow you away. Even Akagami no Shirayukihime has great hand-drawn fights.

Doga Kobo: Basically hold a monopoly on the CGDQT manga adaptations and are damn great at it.

Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s

Nov 8, 6:45 AM
I love stuff...

Toei excels at endless shonens, and making a viewer really fall in love with characters over time.

Their anime also have insane number of creme de la creme seiyu from Aoni Production.

Animation in series isn't always ideal, and sometimes it is plain bad, but when they want, particularly in OVAs, or movies, they make wonders.

Music in their works is also in most cases really good, IMO.

Nov 8, 6:50 AM

Satelight - primarily mecha (Macross, Aquarion). Of course anime like "White album 2 and Guin saga" add variety, with a healthy dose of beautiful background and relationship building between characters.

Wit - high quality visuals (beautiful character design, background, animation and fight choreography)-(Shingeki no Kyoujin, Mahou Tsukai no Yome) with compelling plots and character development, not to mention great OST.

Can't wait to watch more of what "Wit studio" makes. Currently waiting for "Vinland Saga" to finish airing.

Nov 8, 6:58 AM

I know Studio Pierrot mainly for shounen/comedy with its works being bleach, Naruto, Tokyo ghoul, and black clover
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Nov 8, 9:15 AM

Trigger studio excels in sucking d*ck.

Nov 8, 9:32 AM

Madhouse excels at not making complete adaptations of good stuff.
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Nov 8, 9:54 AM

HAL Film Maker (from the few shows I've watched from them) is pretty good at consistency and really pretty backgrounds.
Princess Tutu and Uta Kata are obvious examples, but even back in 2001, Prétear has some really pretty backgrounds and looks pretty good for 2001 in my opinion.
Too bad they're long gone...

Studio Ghibli of course is an overall great studio with most of their movies always being a good time. But of course, they're always best at overall visuals—backgrounds, character designs, animation, whatever.

Catalano said:
Gythia said:

damn straight!

Nov 8, 10:15 AM

Kyoto Animation: Absolute dedication to any anime that they work on. The leader in slice of life and capturing human emotions through gestures, close captures and unparalleled in perspectives. Second to none in background art, character expressions and fluidity in animation. The most successful studio since oricon started tracking sales in BD/DVD in the past 20 years.

The most amazing thing about their anime is they promote kindness like none other - particularly in their male characters. It's striking how common it is in their stories. Be it Akihito, Gilbert, Kanie, Kyon, Makoto, Mochizou, Oreki, Shouya, Shuuichi, Tomoya, Yukito, Yuuichi or Yuuta. The main trait of all of these male characters is they are kind. :)

SHAFT: The Father of Head Tilts and the Mother of Monogatari Series. The second most successful studio according to Oricon in the past 20 years.

Toei Animation: The biggest in the industry. With titles such as One Piece, Dragon Ball, Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon amongst others, they are popular household names both in Japan and in the West. However, I feel they have not evolved with the current industry and operating on the market they once captured between the 1980s and the 2000s.

Sunrise: Merchandising their franchises. They are the maker of the biggest franchises with merchandises in anime industry since the turn of the millennium. Their franchises today worth billions of dollars. The most notables ones are Gundam, Love Live School Idol Project, Tiger & Bunny, Code Geass and Gintama.

Ufotable: Same action scenes in all of their anime. They earn brownie points with blood and gore. And since most of the anime are for teenagers, they start thinking OMG! Blood! Best thing ever! 10/10! Exceptions are Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero. Both have legit good stories.

MADHOUSE: Either a hit or a miss now a days (more miss than hit) but has created more popular anime in the West than in Japan, generally. But they are not good in franchising.

They are a good studio to get your source material bumped up. One thing that they do have is they tend to keep things closer to the source material without any improvisation and very rarely deviate. While the West finds it better, it is not the case in Japan and hence they fail in the digital media marketing. The numbers don't lie for their BD/DVD numbers in oricon.

WIT Studio: Shingeki no Kyojin. Nothing else worth mentioning. Period

Trigger: Failed attempts of reaching the legacy of Gainax.
<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

Nov 8, 2:30 PM

J.C Staff is the king of having to let you know all the character's names in the OP

Production IMS is the studio that excels at producing shows that somehow aren't considered Hentai despite having more hentai than some actual hentai do

Studio Arms takes it even further and actually produces hentai

P.A Works somehow excels at having ridiculously annoying drama

'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Nov 8, 4:22 PM

Answer Studio
Bridging the gap between anime and Western animation, having former Walt Disney Japan staff
Having a studio that know both Disney and anime style is a rarity

See for yourselves!

Nov 8, 10:32 PM

Ghibli - gaining attention from the mainstream, but for some reason doesn't gain that much people here in MAL

Trigger and Gainax - Space, space and you guessed it.... space!

Madhouse: I haven't really seen that much shows from them, but I know that they excel in making classics as well as not making a 2nd season

IG: also several classics

Wit - modern classics

Deen: Either the best faces in anime with Higurashi and Konosuba or making shows like FSN and SDS look stupid

JC Staff: Rie Kugimiya tsunderes or making OPM look stupid

Sunrise: also space and mechas + politics, loli idols and whatever tf Gintama is

Pierrot: good at putting endless amounts of filler or cramming endless amounts of manga chapters into one episode

Gonzo: not following the manga's story

Toei: makes stuff no one but Japan cares about except for One Piece, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball

Ufotable: Making CGI in anime look really good. Also Nezuko memes.

Brain's Base and Manglobe: Being underrated (RIP Manglobe).

A1: making money, confusing sequels (cough Black Butler and Blue Exorcist cough) and animation that out shadows a disappointing story (cough SAO cough).

Shaft: drugs and head tilts

Kyo Ani: Character storytelling through animation. Also best girls and very relatable boys.

Bones: Fight scenes and having a wide variety of shows.
"Allow me to teach you something useful."
My Top 15 Japanese Cartoons

Nov 8, 11:13 PM

Madhouse, Bones, ufotable: Well animated action sequences
examples: One Punch Man Season 1, My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, Demon Slayer, Fate

Kyoto Animation: Stunning visuals and art
examples: Hyouka, Violet Evergarden

Sunrise: anything with mechas
examples: Gundam series, Code Geass, and much much more.

P.A. Works: Original stories
examples: Angel Beats!, Charlotte, Nagi no Asu kara

Studio Deen: ruining animes they've picked up from other studios
examples: Log Horizon, Seven Deadly Sins

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Nov 9, 12:42 AM
Why nobody mentions TROYCA. They are new and most of their animations have really damn good animation.

Nov 9, 12:52 AM
so much hate on studio Trigger lol at least they are one of the few studio that do mostly original anime

and they excel at making cartoons with wacky animation, energetic scenes, and snowball effect story telling

Nov 9, 1:33 AM
zero f*ckin' G, in picking up adaptations of great sourcematerials, and making them mediocre garbage at best, which are still critical suckcess because of the trash weebs.

examples: Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue and Grand Blue...

especially Grand Blue. How is it possible to make from the best comedy manga a crappy anime, linke that?..

and next year Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. for f*cks sake...

i really hope for zero g to bankrupt in the near future.

Modified by shadowarrior2000, Nov 9, 4:19 AM