Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2019 7:26 PM
Sep 2015
axel360 said:
What a bonkers episode. Some of these characters are straight-up superhuman. Sucks we have to wait two weeks for Thorkell-Thorfinn II. That one is going to be insane.

This, we have to wait, what a cliffhanger, Thorffin vs Thorkell, I can't wait...
Nov 3, 2019 7:51 PM
Mar 2019
I won't say that the animation was bad in this episode, but was definitely not par with the previous episodes in the series so far. Hope to see a good quality fight in the next episode. To imagine that Thor's was more powerful than Thorkell. It's going to be a long wait for the next episode. I might as well start reading the manga,but will try to wait till the season ends atleast.
Nov 3, 2019 8:35 PM
Apr 2015
Jfs_ said:
Decent episode with a mix of bad and good animation.
And I think the Animation and art is the weakest points of this show so far. maybe the staff couldn't keep up with makoto yukimura's art? Idk

Art and animation weak ?
You forget episodes 3.4.9.10.12.14 ?
All so good
Nov 3, 2019 8:37 PM

Mar 2019
Can't get enough of this ED song, has to be my favourite of the year easily. Can't wait for this fight next!
Nov 3, 2019 8:41 PM
Apr 2015
WarFirel said:
I just see manga readers complain it about the episode, I'm not a manga reader so... for me was a great episode

Manga readers Annoying people
Episode was good
Nov 3, 2019 8:43 PM

Aug 2017
lihle808 said:
I still can't believe Thorkell punched a horse to consciousness, that's one of the baddest moments I've ever seen this season, along with the spear attack of last week :O The guy can't stop to amaze.

Thorfinn versus Thorkell, shit, made this episode seemed like it was Ten minutes, the way I was enjoying it.

Heh bro I think Thorkell actually killed that horse instead of just knocking it out.

Dman that mofo can kill horses with his bare hands.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Nov 3, 2019 9:20 PM

May 2019
A lot of characterisation and psychological development throughout this episode. It was really cool to see Askeladd's arc fleshed out nearly completely, while Thorkell and Thorfinn's clashing ideologies reminded me of two sharks fighting over the carcass of a whale. One shark (Thorfinn) is small but desperate for food, whereas the other (Thorkell) is a great white with plenty of nourishment, just hunting the whale in order to fight another shark.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Nov 3, 2019 9:23 PM

Apr 2018
ziad1419 said:
Jfs_ said:
Decent episode with a mix of bad and good animation.
And I think the Animation and art is the weakest points of this show so far. maybe the staff couldn't keep up with makoto yukimura's art? Idk

Art and animation weak ?
You forget episodes 3.4.9.10.12.14 ?
All so good
compared to the story and character, yes the art and animation is weak.
Nov 3, 2019 9:37 PM

Jun 2015
Askeladd said it~
lol dude passed out standing up shocked.
Nov 3, 2019 9:52 PM

Oct 2017
Yep Thorkell did kill all of them except Askelad like I thght he would. Also damn Thorfinn vs Thorkell so much hype, can't wait for the next episode.
Nov 3, 2019 10:27 PM

May 2017
fuck... they sure as hell dragged that ending out. Well next episode should be great.
Nov 3, 2019 11:12 PM
Mar 2019
When Thorkell uppercuts the horse, i felt that
Nov 4, 2019 12:03 AM
Jun 2017
Love this episode as those who betrayed Askaladd had died in thorkell's army...

And im excited for this--- thorkell vs thorfill battle. Yeah
Nov 4, 2019 12:10 AM
Oct 2007
The flow of this episode wasn't the best but as a non-manga reader, my butt was still stuck to the chair and eyes glued to the screen. I didn't pause nor fast forward at least once, focusing all the way to the end. At the end of that duration, I wanted to watch the next episode so badly!

P.S. It's going to be a long 2 weeks wait... On the bright side, I hope the animators have extra time to polish up the next episode even more :P
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2019 1:54 AM
Oct 2017
This episode was damn beautiful. Finally an episode I love in this series.
Nov 4, 2019 2:03 AM

Mar 2018
Glad I haven't continued the manga yet or else I am gonna be "disappointed". Can't wait for next next week. Its getting so close from replacing The Promised Neverland as my AOTY.
TruceeNov 4, 2019 2:06 AM
Nov 4, 2019 2:22 AM

Mar 2013
Such a silly show. At least the little flashback for Askeladd was good.
Nov 4, 2019 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
Askeladd's band starts infighting
Thorkell: Am I a joke to you?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Nov 4, 2019 3:50 AM

Mar 2018
Damn this is epic
Can't wait for the fight now

Torgrim deserved to die lol. His death (is he dead?) was so lame too
I love Thorkell's personality. How he said kill all except Askeladd.

What mushroom did Bjorn eat tho? Looked like that poisonous one to me

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Nov 4, 2019 3:51 AM
May 2017
dasprn said:
If it wasn't for the censorship, this show would have famed more than GOT.

Except for the fact that its uncensored?! You see niggas getting sliced here, look at Attack on Titan or Tokyo Ghoul (S1), they're way more censored than Vinland and they're popular!! Gore isn't a factor for popularity my guy
Nov 4, 2019 4:07 AM
Jan 2019
as expected the betrayal didn't end well they didn't die as a warrior but unloyal dogs. Thorkell was like a death god he sure's like fighting unlike Thorfinn fighting for revenge but I respect Thorkell for that
Askeladd having a hard time while Thorfinn want to save the man who killed his father and fight him in dual that he never win this is mess up (I'm pointing out Thorfinn, not the story)
can't wait for episode 18 but sadly it delayed
Anoo-DominiNov 4, 2019 5:05 AM
Nov 4, 2019 6:11 AM

Feb 2014
Damn, this episode was really exciting and brutal in many ways. Even with the fighting that happened, the episode did show another flashback of Askeladd as a kid while helping his sickly mother eat some soup. The flashback added a lot of weight and emotion to Askeladd as he made his solo stand against his rebellious army. The way is called them out as filth was great, although manga translation of that scene was better.

Still, Askeladd's stand was epic, with the most brutal moment was when Askeladd lost his cool and slam his sword down on one soldier so hard that it went through his helmet, his entire head and was able to continue cutting until it hit the lower half of the now dead soldier's stomach. A shockingly brutal way to kill someone, but it had me at the edge of my seat, though.

Same goes for Thorkell as he arrived. He wanted to keep Askeladd alive, but he ordered his guys to kill everyone else from Askeladd's army. However, it wasn't long before Thorfinn showed up, mowing people down with his horse, but Thorkell made another standout moment of the episode where he made a brutal uppercut on the horse, sending it flying to its death as well as sending Thorfinn flying, too.

The only downside of the episode was the animation quality. It was a mixture of great animation shots as well as some choppy and off-model shots. With the rematch between Thorfiin and Thorkell for the next episode in 2 weeks, I hope the animation quality improves again. =)
Nov 4, 2019 7:23 AM

Apr 2015
I wonder how much WIT spent for this episode. I'm betting somewhere $300k.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Nov 4, 2019 8:13 AM

Feb 2014
Edylson said:
dasprn said:
If it wasn't for the censorship, this show would have famed more than GOT.

Except for the fact that its uncensored?! You see niggas getting sliced here, look at Attack on Titan or Tokyo Ghoul (S1), they're way more censored than Vinland and they're popular!! Gore isn't a factor for popularity my guy

Well if you've read the OG content then it would make sense. The anime lacks the dreadfulness and the sweet despair of the masses.
And about AoT and TG, they're pure fiction while Vinland is historical lore. So better scale that up.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 4, 2019 8:29 AM

Apr 2019
Things are getting exciting here. Seeing those traitors die was kinda satisfying. What happened to Torgrim was well deserved.
Thorfinn protecting his waifu catch made me laugh lol. Can't wait to see the next episode.
justaway_neoNov 4, 2019 8:33 AM
Nov 4, 2019 8:41 AM

May 2016
Probably my fav episode that i can remember from this series, I'm hyped for the
next fight.
Nov 4, 2019 8:49 AM
Apr 2016
Absolutely loved watching those lowly humans die, now i just wanna see thorfinn kill askeladd.
Nov 4, 2019 8:50 AM
Apr 2016
K1ngOfSloth said:
Damn this is epic
Can't wait for the fight now

Torgrim deserved to die lol. His death (is he dead?) was so lame too
I love Thorkell's personality. How he said kill all except Askeladd.

What mushroom did Bjorn eat tho? Looked like that poisonous one to me
Its the berserker mushroom, the same kind he ate when he fought thors.
Nov 4, 2019 9:09 AM

Dec 2018
As long as thorfinn does not win with plot armor the next fight will be good.
Nov 4, 2019 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
RIP the horses in this episode.

Nov 4, 2019 10:12 AM
Sep 2019
Ahh...! Can't wait for the next episode
Could Possibly be the best episode of the season...
Nov 4, 2019 10:34 AM

May 2012
axel360 said:
What a bonkers episode. Some of these characters are straight-up superhuman. Sucks we have to wait two weeks for Thorkell-Thorfinn II. That one is going to be insane.

You forget that this story is told in the way old sagas were told. Of course Thorkell is too tall of a human to have ever existed, even though people were generally shorter than today. Of course he's almost superhuman with his strength. Of course no teenager could ever achieve all the feats Thorfinn has done. But that's all just how sagas were told. No one would listen to the story about an average Joe with average strength - that would be boring. Instead, you make them appear larger, stronger and awe-inspiring. You make them larger than life. But you still have to keep them relatively realistic or else no one would believe you.
Nov 4, 2019 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
trenchantbaka said:
This episode was damn beautiful. Finally an episode I love in this series.
Finally, baka? Why you holdin' out?
Nov 4, 2019 10:46 AM
Sep 2019
Cycli said:
Honestly, manga was 300 times better, the animation and the censorship were pretty bad. Overall was a good episode and some parts were delivered pretty well.
eh i think everything was fine other than thorkell infront of torgrim. The animation was good and it was still pretty bad even tho they censored some things. Also thats normal for things to get censored in the anime
Nov 4, 2019 11:16 AM

Jul 2016
Way to be late for the party, Thorfinn. It was being a quite enjoyable episode until you came screaming and all.

Average animation aside, it was still a good episode. I only wish Torgrim would have died in a horrible way but I guess having a mind break is OK too... By the way, after seeing the manga panels, I'm also quite disappointed with how they portrayed "demon" Thorkell.

So, we will have a Thorfinn vs. Thorkell - Round 2 next episode, uh? Honestly, rather than the fight, I'm more interested in seeing how Thorfinn will manage to avoid being destroyed.
Nov 4, 2019 12:47 PM

Apr 2013
the hypes levels are to damn high for next episode, even tho it's delayed the hype will always stay high.
Nov 4, 2019 1:02 PM

Aug 2017
Aniik8pv2 said:
HORI SHET
things went into overdrive this episode.
"How dare they start fighting without me. Let me join! Let me join!"
ahh Thorkell, never change.

Can't wait for the next episode

Yea that's what I said too typical for Thorkell and I'm hype to see their duel.
Thorfinn will be badass here.

Nov 4, 2019 7:18 PM
Mar 2015
Thorkell and Thorfinn fighting over who gets to kill Askelaad What a country
Nov 4, 2019 8:59 PM
Oct 2017
irondark30 said:
I almost sympathized with Askeladd but I have to remember that I want that bastard killed!
When he cut that one dude in half I almost thought he had an ace up his sleeve, but Askeladd vs. Thorkell, I guess Thorkell wins 100 times over. At least I'd like to assume Askeladd is smarter than Thorkell. Dammit!! If Thorfinn loses then does that mean Askeladd lives a little bit longer?? Someone kill this man please, I don't care if it's a random soldier and Thorfinn is scarred for the rest of his life!.... ok maybe like 5 years, at least he'd go back to his loving family THE END

You'll be surprised on the final episode is all I can say...
Nov 4, 2019 10:58 PM

May 2018
Okay that was great, a duel between Thorfinn and Thorkell over Askeladd. Askeladd looks weak here, and Thorfinn looks cool here. As usual Askeladd's team has been killed by Thorkell's team sadly, looking forward to the fights it is really exciting.

Nov 5, 2019 12:01 AM

Oct 2011
finally some action !
to me it missed some bloodshed so i think it was good!
overall we got some progress with the series. cant wait for the fight next ep. it was so hyped that it made me very curious!
Nov 5, 2019 1:33 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Cool episode! It’s a real pity that we have to wait a couple of weeks for the matchup though.

Animation Quality just about dipped a notch so some of the scenes were a little jarring and lifeless to a certain extent but Wit Studio have been superb thus far so I won’t let this cloud my judgement by any means. With that said however, I do hope the Quality rises back up again for the remainder of the season.

Anyway, on to the meaty part. Askeladd and Thorkell are serious beasts in their respective ways. Having those recap scenes to give a bit more depth into the sequences for Askeladd was really cool as well! Favourite moment of the episode for me thoug has to go to the order from Thorkell to slaughter the betrayers, I knew it was coming but it was still so glorious! And of course I just love some of those Askeladd’s dialogues, Amazon somewhat ruined it but it’s a good thing my Japanese is just about good enough to note that.

Lol, Thorgim passing out on his feet though. I’m sure most would’ve given how enormous Thorkell apparently is. Is it just me or did he look bigger than even this episode? Yikes.

I’m really not feeling Thorfinn just yet, meanwhile. Hopefully, the next two episodes will change that for me.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 5, 2019 1:39 AM
Oct 2018
irondark30 said:
I almost sympathized with Askeladd but I have to remember that I want that bastard killed!
When he cut that one dude in half I almost thought he had an ace up his sleeve, but Askeladd vs. Thorkell, I guess Thorkell wins 100 times over. At least I'd like to assume Askeladd is smarter than Thorkell. Dammit!! If Thorfinn loses then does that mean Askeladd lives a little bit longer?? Someone kill this man please, I don't care if it's a random soldier and Thorfinn is scarred for the rest of his life!.... ok maybe like 5 years, at least he'd go back to his loving family THE END
welcum2savage said:
Anyone else think the amazon translation is utter garbage?
They managed to fuck up my favourite askeladd quote:
"Ive hated every last one of you with every fiber of my being. You stinking, pigfucking danish whoresons"

To
"I really hate you guys"
Theres no personality whatsoever in the subs which is really disappointing because one of the mangas best aspects is the dialogue. Here theres no punch to anything theyre saying and they all sound like retards the way they monologue in the blandest way imaginable.

Side note, the next episode had better knock it out of the park, if they want me to accept this quality animation this late into the series.

I agree with this. Dialogues in manga are incredible. They even censored the dialogue smh
Nov 5, 2019 1:43 AM

Jun 2013
Thorkell is one of my favorite characters and the way he intimidated Thorgin in the manga was much better. He looked like a fucking psychotic demon. It was downplayed this episode but I still enjoyed it.

Lots of not-so-subtle CGI in the background, especially the men surrounding Askeladd. Askeladd was more brutal with his words in the manga. This was also downplayed but not much can be done about it.

My favorite part was of course, Thorkell the fucking maniac punching that horse.

A two week wait until the next episode.
臭い-
Nov 5, 2019 2:49 AM

Jul 2016
HistoricalMaize said:
As long as thorfinn does not win with plot armor the next fight will be good.

No way he wins.

Hopefully he puts up a decent fight and Thorkell lets him go but makes him promise to come back when he is older so he can fight him propely.

If Thorfin wins it is an asspull and horrible writing.
Nov 5, 2019 5:09 AM
Apr 2019
Unbelievable episode, It's a pure gem people are just not getting at it.
Nov 5, 2019 5:15 AM

Apr 2018
Well those guys deserved it lmao. Dammit next ep has to be delayed when shit is getting fun
Nov 5, 2019 6:14 AM
Apr 2019
episode 17 is so intense
well almost each episode of Vinland Saga is a cliffhanging experiences
but this ...
I really need to see episode 18
too bad it is delayed
well the best scene was when those traitors was so shocked by Thorkhel's decision
they deserve it
Nov 5, 2019 6:50 AM

Mar 2017
OMFG next weeks episode is gonna be so fucking lit! Thorfinn was looking so cool with that entrance onto the battlefield!

I wonder when him and Askeladd are gonna admit to themselves that they actually care about each other? haha

Nov 5, 2019 7:16 AM

Feb 2019
Awesome episode as always. Lots of action here, all intense. At first I didn't like Askeladd because he killed Thors, but by now he's really grown on me as a great character. It was good to see the men who betrayed him getting what was coming to them.

Thorkell is so terrifying. But as always I'm looking forward to the moment Thorfinn jumps into action. He's always so badass. Looks like next episode is going to be a very intense fight.

Also, did Torgrim just DIE standing?
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.