Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
UQ Holder
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 2, 2019 5:06 PM

May 2019
Ill say i didn't watch the prequel, But this show gives off a sense of stability that i see normal anime Shys From nowadays

UQ Holder Is Unique, weird, but Oddly Refreshing
This show Is one of a kind (atleast out of the shows ive watched)

It has a interesting narrative and I feel Like Its Pretty unrecognized by the community
I think ill pick up the Manga

I give the show an 8 but Hell for 12 Episodes it was Easily consumable
    anime-->eat-->Sleep-->repeat

Dec 9, 2019 5:57 AM

Jul 2016
^You shouldn't watch UQ Holder, read the manga instead.
Jan 8, 2020 5:26 AM

Dec 2017
Sure. You should watch UQ Holder...

...after you've read the manga up to chapter 130ish that is.

Man, do anime production executive hate Ken Akamatsu or what? Since they keep butchering his work's adaptation like this

Fuck I'm salty
Jan 8, 2020 6:19 AM

Jul 2016
Vegetableisbadfo said:
Sure. You should watch UQ Holder...

...after you've read the manga up to chapter 130ish that is.

Man, do anime production executive hate Ken Akamatsu or what? Since they keep butchering his work's adaptation like this

Fuck I'm salty

You know what's even worse about this? It's the fact that Akamatsu joined part of anime staffs for this anime, and yet he allowed them to butchering his story whatever the hell they wanted.
Jan 19, 2020 11:30 PM

May 2019
I read the Manga
Dont watch the anime read the Manga
Manga is way more detailed and the animation leaves out way too much information.
    anime-->eat-->Sleep-->repeat

Mar 5, 2021 10:37 AM

Sep 2014
I have to point out to the people who don't read manga that this anime can be watched solo and still be enjoyed. If you don't want to read/watch prequels but still wanted to give this anime a try go for it. No need to watch or read any prequels if you think you can't put in that much effort just to watch UQ Holders!

People just keep repeating "read the manga" like some machine...
Mar 8, 2021 8:25 PM

Jul 2016
cHowaito said:
I have to point out to the people who don't read manga that this anime can be watched solo and still be enjoyed. If you don't want to read/watch prequels but still wanted to give this anime a try go for it. No need to watch or read any prequels if you think you can't put in that much effort just to watch UQ Holders!

People just keep repeating "read the manga" like some machine...

Let me ask you a question, do you actually understand WTF is going on on the last 4 episodes?

Just because you personally don't have a problem while watching this anime, it doesn't mean other people also enjoy it as well. Not only the manga readers, hell, even most of the anime-only were so confused on the last 4 episodes because of sudden change of gernes and rushed pacing (Let alone the fact they skipped OVER 100 CHAPTERS worth of contents to even make sense on all the stuffs happened in those episodes). Not to mention that the anime-only even had no idea what's happening when the whole awful Class 3-A filler showed up on the last episode.

Hell, even some Japanese anime sites also ranked this anime to be one of the worst anime ever created.
Mar 9, 2021 3:40 PM

Sep 2014
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

Let me ask you a question, do you actually understand WTF is going on on the last 4 episodes?

Just because you personally don't have a problem while watching this anime, it doesn't mean other people also enjoy it as well. Not only the manga readers, hell, even most of the anime-only were so confused on the last 4 episodes because of sudden change of gernes and rushed pacing (Let alone the fact they skipped OVER 100 CHAPTERS worth of contents to even make sense on all the stuffs happened in those episodes). Not to mention that the anime-only even had no idea what's happening when the whole awful Class 3-A filler showed up on the last episode.

Hell, even some Japanese anime sites also ranked this anime to be one of the worst anime ever created.

Hmm... I can't say if I completely understood it (I don't know how much I understood it by comparison to someone who does) but I definitely enjoyed the show. To me, that's all that matters. I never felt overly confused. There were definitely scenes where I couldn't fully grasp what they were talking about (about past events that happened and why some characters are where they are and how they ended up there) but I just needed to fill in the gaps with my imagination whenever possible.

You said "Just because you personally don't have a problem while watching this anime, it doesn't mean other people also enjoy it as well". But you see, the opposite can also be said. Just because you (and whoever else) didn't enjoy this anime doesn't mean other people won't.

I couldn't care less what other people think about this show now that I've personally experienced it myself and given it my own personal score. Their opinions won't change my score. 9/10, and finished rewatching it a few days ago. No change in score from the first time I watched it.
Mar 10, 2021 2:04 AM

Jul 2016
cHowaito said:
Hmm... I can't say if I completely understood it (I don't know how much I understood it by comparison to someone who does) but I definitely enjoyed the show. To me, that's all that matters. I never felt overly confused. There were definitely scenes where I couldn't fully grasp what they were talking about (about past events that happened and why some characters are where they are and how they ended up there) but I just needed to fill in the gaps with my imagination whenever possible.

I wasn't even talking about the back story on why the characters from previous series became evil, when the manga keep their back story on secret until way after the event of the last episode. I was referring to stuffs like how Touta suddenly able to used the exact same transformation as his grandfather did in the last episode, when Touta himself clearly said he doesn't know anything about his transformation earlier, or how the girls (Except maybe Kuroumaru) suddenly all fell in-love with Touta out of nowhere.

Also, even if you do watched the Negima anime before watching this, you would still gonna be confused at some stuffs mentioned on this anime, as the Negima anime suffered the same issues as UQ Holder anime had which it doesn't follow the manga story accurately.

cHowaito said:
I couldn't care less what other people think about this show now that I've personally experienced it myself and given it my own personal score. Their opinions won't change my score. 9/10, and finished rewatching it a few days ago. No change in score from the first time I watched it.

Good for you to able to enjoy it despite all those awful and stupid changes, then. However, please be remember that you're only part of the minority that actually enjoys this anime, so don't try to pretend your opinion as a fact whenever someone disagree with your view on the anime.
MahiaErebeaNegiMar 10, 2021 3:45 AM
Mar 10, 2021 10:47 PM

Sep 2014
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

I wasn't even talking about the back story on why the characters from previous series became evil, when the manga keep their back story on secret until way after the event of the last episode. I was referring to stuffs like how Touta suddenly able to used the exact same transformation as his grandfather did in the last episode, when Touta himself clearly said he doesn't know anything about his transformation earlier, or how the girls (Except maybe Kuroumaru) suddenly all fell in-love with Touta out of nowhere.

Also, even if you do watched the Negima anime before watching this, you would still gonna be confused at some stuffs mentioned on this anime, as the Negima anime suffered the same issues as UQ Holder anime had which it doesn't follow the manga story accurately.

Good for you to able to enjoy it despite all those awful and stupid changes, then. However, please be remember that you're only part of the minority that actually enjoys this anime, so don't try to pretend your opinion as a fact whenever someone disagree with your view on the anime.

His sudden ability to transform the same way his grandfather did? I just assumed it's because Touta has the same genes. Besides, sudden and unexplainable (and then having to train to use the same power again) power-ups aren't exactly rare in these types (shounen?) of animes. Didn't bother me at all.

I'm only part of the minority, eh... And? My opinion on this show is targeted towards people like me who stumble upon this anime and think it's interesting but feel discouraged because of all the negative reviews. It's not for people who've already watched and dislike the show. It's a fact that I like this anime and that there are other people with the same opinion as mine out there. You have the right to disagree with my opinion, I can't/won't stop you. And do tell me about which opinion I'm treating as a fact so I can explain myself if needed.

Also, exactly how do you determine who's a "minority" here? Have you checked the animes statistics page? If anything, I seem to be part of the majority who enjoy the show. Not that I care about that, either.
Mar 11, 2021 5:32 AM

Jul 2016
cHowaito said:
His sudden ability to transform the same way his grandfather did? I just assumed it's because Touta has the same genes. Besides, sudden and unexplainable (and then having to train to use the same power again) power-ups aren't exactly rare in these types (shounen?) of animes. Didn't bother me at all.

I'm amazed you would actually use that excuse for such a deus ex mechina moment lol. Also, the actual term would be "shounen action" for describe this kind of series, "shounen" itself means "teenager boys" in Japanese, just like "shoujo" means "teenager girls" in Japanese.

Okay, even if we tend to believe it was that case for Touta able to uses the Raiten Taiso transformation (Purple lightning form), that excuse doesn't work well at all as that form isn't something that he can randomly archive without even realizing how to use it. For the one with black aura and "tattoos" from earlier episodes, sure that one can use randomly whether Touta is on danger, but the same can't be applies to this form as it works differently. Raiten Taiso is a form where you had to absorb some kind of power and turns it into your own to active it.

I had to bring some manga points here just in case if you don't understand. The manga was already bad enough for him able to mastered the transformation in a fairly short time, but the anime makes it 10x worse by skipping so many contents which makes his transformation felt asspull instead. In the manga, we have a training arc to see how Touta learn his new form before his fight against his grandfather even happened. Even if he don't deserve to have that achievement, at least there's a plot point to justified how he able to use it, while in the anime he is able to transform it just simply because plots. If you want to bring that random power-up point again, at the very least those moments usually do got explained later on rather than completely ignored them like it never happen (Whether the explanation does make sense or not is a different story, however).

Before you says that scene can be explained even without reading the manga, no it can't be explained no matter how hard you tried to give an excuse.

cHowaito said:
Also, exactly how do you determine who's a "minority" here? Have you checked the animes statistics page? If anything, I seem to be part of the majority who enjoy the show.

Statistics doesn't really matter especially on the sites that can fake the scores by spam bots like MAL lol. Plunderer anime also had a lot of people rated 7 like UQ Holder did, despite almost every sites hate the anime as well and even claimed as one of the worst anime ever created on ANN and Reddit. Another example is how some older anime like Sazae-san's score on MAL being so low, and yet it's one of the most popular anime and have the highest rating in Japan.

Let's just focus on the MAL if you don't want to mention the other sites. Trust me, I have talked and read a lot of anime-only's thought about the anime back when it's still airing. For those who do enjoyed the anime like you did, they all tend to said the anime was enjoyable in some way but were either confused or hate the last few episodes. You're the only exception I had seen so far that can actually enjoy almost everything (Including the stuffs I mentioned earlier) from this anime. If you look at the last episode's discussion thread, almost every comments there were either criticizing the anime (Whether it's from manga readers or anime-only) or that they don't know what are they just watched.

cHowaito said:
And do tell me about which opinion I'm treating as a fact so I can explain myself if needed.

I didn't said that you did, my comment was just simply remind you don't do that when someone disagree with you. Sorry if that doesn't sounds clear to you.
Mar 11, 2021 5:20 PM

Sep 2014
@MahiaErebeaNegi

Shounen action. Got it.

If the "excuse" enables me to enjoy the show then I don't mind at all. I only watch anime for personal enjoyment after all.

I don't look actually look at the statistics page when I'm researching an anime but even if MAL has bots spamming fake scores there's still information to gather from statistics, I believe... Around 3600 people gave UQ Holder! 10/10 and around 4800 people gave it 9/10, according to the statistics. I refuse to believe that all of these are fake. And so should you. I gave it 9/10 but there are people who gave it 10/10 which means they might've enjoyed it more than me. I may be the only exception you've encountered so far but a little bit of common sense would tell you that that there definitely are people like me out there.

ANYWAYS, it's all a matter of preference. And oh yea, I forgot to answer your previous comment "how the girls suddenly all fell in-love with Touta out of nowhere". I f*cking love romance. I didn't find it odd that they fell in love with Touta, like you though. The show is, after all, fiction. If you still want a reason then maybe his looks? His strength? His genes? His personality?

The MAL score rarely deviates from the shows "worth". At least, not for me. Even with the fake scores from bots.

"I didn't said that you did, my comment was just simply remind you don't do that when someone disagree with you. Sorry if that doesn't sounds clear to you."...
... I see, I'm well aware that my opinions aren't facts and I do try and express that in my text. Thanks for the reminder nonetheless.
Mar 13, 2021 5:23 AM

Jul 2016
@cHowaito

Well, I guess it would be best if we just agree to disagree at this point since I don't have time and are not interested enough to continue our discussion.

I personally don't really care about the romance much, I only bring that out because that's one of the most noticeable flaws the anime had I found, and I can't remember if there's more flaws than two stuffs I mentioned earlier since I never try to rewatch it. I much rather prefer to reread the manga myself due to all those skipped contents on the anime.

Have a good day.
Mar 13, 2021 10:57 PM

Sep 2014
@MahiaErebeaNegi

Yup, agree to disagree. Nothing changed from the start :)

Have a nice day.
Mar 18, 2022 3:13 PM

Jan 2021
I did watch yesterday. It was good for me. I love these kind of anime. I'll read the manga, too. (If i don't forget.)
Roxy

More topics from this board

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2017

36 by MyAnimeList94 »»
Jun 23, 2023 4:11 PM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2017

80 by Maknae19 »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:21 PM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2017

67 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Apr 11, 2023 4:33 PM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2017

59 by Dudes3712 »»
Feb 20, 2023 12:56 AM

Poll: » UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2017

49 by DiegoSxnpai »»
Nov 5, 2022 6:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.