Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Nov 5, 2019 10:27 AM
Jul 2016
JadedFreak said:
Question/Possible Spoiler?

Currently watching episode 4 and a thought popped into my head. This is next level Paranoid Conspiracy stuff, But does everything in SAO take place in Virtual Reality?
Like when they switch from the Underworld to the "Real World" is the real world just Virtual Reality, and just no one knows?
is this some next level inception stuff? A game within a game? Am I thinking too much into this?
No, with all due respect that would be dumb as hell and awful writing. Feel free to entertain it for fun though.
Nov 5, 2019 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
Uncommon_Sense said:
Darikan said:
Two interesting characters are killed by generic villain. Even the ALO Arc is much better than this. SAO have three huge problems since season 1, Kirito needs a male partner, this series can´t function with a female protagonist, because they have a bad character development even Klein, Agil, Death Gun and Kayaba would better than Alice or Asuna. Most annoying part in this series is the unneccesary harem.
Klein, Agil, Death Gun, and Kayaba literally had zero development and stayed the same. They’re all mediocre characters imo as well. Asuna is likable at least (but not amazing). Eugeo was decent and had development. Alice imo has had the most development of any SAO character ever, so I don’t know what you mean. I think she’s a decent character too.

I do not see any development in her. At first she was hostile to Kirito (Kazuto) but with many insults (Baka) she became a tsundere and was integrated into the love circle along with Lisbeth, Silica, Sinon and Asuna. The only thing she can do is fight and sink into self doubt, as Kirito will not help her. Killing a few goblins is not development, and she is overpowered. The aforementioned ones would be much more interesting as they have a lot of potential except Death Gun, but SAO prefers a male main character. Kirito had the best development so far. Asuna is just one of many female characters, except Sinon. It´s just my opinion.
Nov 5, 2019 12:08 PM

Sep 2014
Gabriel has quite a lot of screws loose damn, wasn't expecting that.
Still what the hell man wasting such nice choco waifu, rip childhood friend cutie too.
Nov 5, 2019 5:58 PM

Jul 2016
Those were clearly werewolves, not ogres.

I get the feeling like they saw that one werewolf-ogre hybrid from Slayers, and just said "we should get some of those," but then forgot that he was half werewolf.
Nov 5, 2019 7:05 PM

May 2019
JadedFreak said:
Question/Possible Spoiler?

Currently watching episode 4 and a thought popped into my head. This is next level Paranoid Conspiracy stuff, But does everything in SAO take place in Virtual Reality?
Like when they switch from the Underworld to the "Real World" is the real world just Virtual Reality, and just no one knows?
is this some next level inception stuff? A game within a game? Am I thinking too much into this?

My guess:
Too forced since there is no evidences. The evidences, truly, point to a near future where virtuality and reality will be so mixed no one can tell which is one or other.

And the 1st person to complete transfer his existence and soul from "real" world to virtual will be Kiritokun.

Maybe the second, cause i guess Kayaba did it in advance and is still around.
Nov 5, 2019 8:00 PM

Dec 2010
Zeref is back!

Can't say the voice fits Gabriel though
Nov 6, 2019 11:45 AM

Mar 2012
So...am I the only one who finds Gabriel laughably evil?

Well, lemme rephrase that. It isn’t so much his character motivations, it’s how the animators animate him when he absorbs a soul. It reminds me a lot of Sugou when he was getting all rapey with Asuna.

Granted, he’s a far better villain than Sugou was (so far), but the animators made him way too cartoonish when he absorbs a soul.

Also, does anyone else find his method of doing that weird as shit? It’s essentially like a more polished Soul Eater with how he does it. Just seems stupidly corny with how he literally eats a soul.
Nov 7, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2009
Gabriel it's a bastard! He killed his friend in the past just to see what happened, f*ck.
Nov 7, 2019 8:06 PM

Apr 2015
God that right pissed me off that he killed her just like that. Got me strangely heated.
Nov 7, 2019 9:44 PM

Jan 2015
i have stockholm syndrome with this show
Nov 9, 2019 1:57 AM

Oct 2014
Aww just another psycho villain again... Is Quinella gone for good? Although he doesn't seem as stupid this time though. Seems like there may be more to him than we know for now.
(*゚∀゚)ノ
Nov 9, 2019 5:58 AM

Oct 2017
The villain is a total sicko, wanna see him ripped to pieces. Also rip Lipia, atleast she wasn't raped before she died. But felt bad for her nonetheless. Also that knight guy died too, rip.
Nov 9, 2019 11:53 AM

Jul 2016
The death flags from last episode are too obvious...

and fk Gabriel, another psychopath
Nov 10, 2019 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
Well this sure went full on psycho in a 'bad taste' way, not for me that's for sure.
Nov 10, 2019 11:05 AM

Jun 2017
They skipped Shasta's backstory and the assassin guild leader Fu Za's history. It is okay I guess because he had only one episode screentime anyway. I am not a big fan of Gabriel as a villain, but I like what he brings eventually to the story and how he allows for the development of many characters.

A small detail that many viewers might have missed - Fanatio stated back in episode 15 of first part that even dark knights held back while fighting her when they saw her face. Shasta was briefly shown at the time. He could have hesitated to attack because Fanatio looks similar to Lipia.
Nov 11, 2019 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
Built up 2 new characters from the Dark Territory and wipe them off. Then what's the point of those 2 characters showing up for in the first place that took good amount of screen time? I hope there's more meaning to it in the later episodes because their quick death is almost as weird, especially Shasta's death.. went berserk full power and down to zero by poison and berserk again dive onto Gab and went "is just all darkness" and poof, everything happened like 2 minutes is almost as too random, unserious hilarious in a way. Really, if the writer want to be serious about deeper story, a failed assassination could lead to path like escape, imprisonment or better ways to later assist to the smarter final battle plan, but they are gone immediately.

And how Alice's eye were healed in ep2 is still a mystery that still haunting me.
Nov 13, 2019 9:48 PM
Nov 2019
I think they use a spell or the same green thing that woman from the season 3 used to heal eugeo eye when they same thing happened to him.
Nov 13, 2019 9:49 PM
Nov 2019
Am I the only one who believe that kirito will be awaken and be part of this war???
Nov 15, 2019 5:54 PM
May 2019
SAO has lost thier minds 10/10 though
Nov 17, 2019 7:52 AM

Aug 2017
Well, we get to see some backstory of Gabriel. He really kill that girl as a kid.

I wasn't expecting both of them to die already lol.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 21, 2019 6:50 PM

May 2010
I don't mind a psycho villain rather than a relatable one, as long as he's interesting. So far, Gabriel is interesting. A man without a human soul, who can't understand a human soul, is now in a world of artificial souls. You can't tell me there's not some pretty good storytelling possibilities here!
“Money can't buy dere”
Nov 24, 2019 10:13 PM
Sep 2019
That's it I'm dropping this garbage . Why Sao villain/antagonist character always hateable ?
Dec 6, 2019 11:49 PM

Dec 2016
So they both died just like that? Seems like they killed off characters with a lot of potential. That girl was such a sweetheart too.

Another one-dimension SAO creep of a villain.... Anyone else think its kinda weird he just so happens to have an obsession with souls? Thats really terrible what he did to that little girl, it actually makes me sick to my stomach. Props to them for making me hate this guy so much I guess, but I can only imagine this is all the character development/background he will get.

How bout this ending theme though?? Such a banger. A lot different than the typical LiSA openings weve been getting out of her lately, and I am kinda glad since they were getting a bit stale.
Dec 11, 2019 9:02 AM

Feb 2017
garbage, the writing is nonsense and over the top.
antagonist is psycho crazy and missunderstand his experience.
and in this game he just staright up suck the fluctlight and get victim memory / experience? this is just fucking garbage shlt, even eromanga sensei is better.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Dec 12, 2019 8:28 AM

Apr 2011
Its deep and dark. Even as a child he's a nut job killing his cute childhood friend.

So that guy's proposal was a death flag for both of them. Such a tragic fate and they really want peace while else want war.

Dec 14, 2019 9:16 PM

Mar 2015
This episode left me pissed off but in a sad way, because of the death of Lipia.

Jesus, since when SAO had this heavy atmosphere?
Jan 1, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 2017
Not sure what's going on with this soul sucking guy. Isn't this inside a video game? Or are people still dying like in original SAO? Or do you die here like in Diablo, where you have to start all over from scratch? That's pretty bad too eh...

Brutal killing scene and head, probably the darkest so far in SAO
Jan 3, 2020 6:29 AM

Dec 2012
Aw hell, I was eating breakfast for crying out loud. Alicization has been showing what SAO can do when the data becomes blood and the pixels flesh.

First impressions of Gabriel make me think he's the most malicious SAO villain to date. This isn't just some power trip (Quinella) or fleshly desire (Sugou) he's trying to carry out. The way he obsesses over the soul seems cannibalistic and primal. To torture, defile and consume the soul is perhaps the most sinister concept of dominion I can think of.
Jan 3, 2020 12:47 PM

Aug 2016
Well at least the new bad guys isn't pervert this time. He is just psycho...

Interesting characters from "dark" side. Glad to know them for about episode. Can we get some chill with Alice and Kirito now?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2020 3:07 PM
Mar 2017
Minor comment - insects do have brains, it's just that it is not that necessary for insects for them to live. That's why when they lose their brains they stay alive for a longer period of time
Feb 20, 2020 11:15 PM

Mar 2009
Really impressed with the range of villains in SAO: psycho guy #1, psycho guy #2, psycho woman, and now psycho guy #3. I'm probably missing a few.

What a waste of a gorgeous woman, really. And they even killed off that other dude. I honestly thought they were going to have a bigger role in the story. Not a good episode.
Mar 2, 2020 9:38 AM

Jan 2017
Two episodes in a row without Kirito?!? I can't complain.
Mar 10, 2020 7:16 AM
Jul 2019
We have another psychopath on the run. If he's that strong, I wonder how strong Asuna's character may be. Since the guy's name is Vecta (Vector) then I guess Asuna will be the goddess.
Apr 11, 2020 7:02 PM

Mar 2010
Damn we lost a really good waifu, i don't really care about the antagonist... Oh yay I want to tastes souls!!! what a trivial thing.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 26, 2020 7:59 AM

Jan 2013
Clubman8 said:
God that right pissed me off that he killed her just like that. Got me strangely heated.

Yeah SAO has a tendency to make their villains so evil to the point that it's kind of the norm now ...

Gabriel is a disgusting man though, killing your friend just to see what her soul looks like.
Why do they always have to be 250% more evil than what is needed ...
May 4, 2020 9:12 PM

Aug 2015
A disturbing and a wholesome episode at the same time.
Jun 2, 2020 3:55 PM

Mar 2019
Wow Gabriel is a psycho, poor Lipia
He looks completely overpowered
Jun 23, 2020 10:12 PM

Apr 2020
I think Gabriel is the host of the replica fluctlight Eugeo, and Alicia for Alice. Just a hypothesis. But, pretty episode. Disturbing ep again. Ugh
Jun 27, 2020 1:10 AM

Apr 2011
Brutal episode!

I thought the dark night couple idea of peace be possible later somehow. Very disturbing all around.
Jul 3, 2020 12:59 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm not feeling this season the same way I did with the previous one. Maybe it's the villain? Or perhaps the sudden powerup they got!
Jul 14, 2020 6:47 PM

May 2015
I know I'm gonna get flak for this but as an anime-only watcher and a huge fan of the series since 2015, please keep that in mind if you reply. I really disliked this episode. Firstly, they gave us another Psycho as the main antagonist when we've had so many already (albeit with different motivations). He almost feels too unrealistically insane. Eating the soul of people (at least in your mind) seems too stereotypically insane/edgy. The thing that pissed me off the most was the deaths of the two most interesting members of the dark territory. They could have done so much with these characters. They could have been the spotlight at some point later in the story but no. They are killed off to make us feel sad and stupid for thinking that. What was the purpose? to display his power? You could have done that in so many other way but sacking these two is not how I would have done it. It felt like an episode of TWD where they just kill off characters for pure shock value, outrage, and viewer ratings. The one thing they did do right was make me hate the villain but for all the wrong reasons. I will keep watching to see what happens but this episode in particular really ticked me off. Thank you for reading my small rant /vent of frustration.
SaisterJul 14, 2020 11:45 PM

"The difference between a Weeaboo and an Anime Fan,
a Weeaboo wants to marry their favourite characters, a True Anime Fan wants to see them happy"
-inspired by some guy in the comments section of gogo
Jul 28, 2020 5:19 AM

Apr 2012
Aleph199X said:
Hylianticipated said:
Yawn. Can't SAO ever have a villain that is interesting and compelling and that ISN'T a complete sociopath? For ONCE they should make the antagonist an interesting and compelling character with relatable motives. Is that too much to ask? My goodness.

Shigemura Tetsuhiro from Ordinal Scale is literally just that.

Kinda hurts my soul to argue with someone with an avatar of best boi but srsly you thought of him as a good villain? He was one note as hell and the reveal was so anti-climactic. I loved OS but the finale was very rushed when it came to the villains getting any actual important screen time. Can't be arsed tho when we got such good fan service with the 100th floor boss :3
Aug 8, 2020 4:37 PM

Sep 2011
Oh good, yet another psycopath of a villain, with basically no redeeming qualities. Just what we needed.
He can see souls now? Was that during his childhood (poor girl...) just some halucination or was that also some virtual world? How can he even see souls in this game? We have seen nothing like that with the deaths so far. Is that some special skill of that account? This doesn't make any sense so far.
And wtf was that good guy's lightcube going berserk? If that was due to love or something, then why didn't Eugeo go berserk?
It's also very sad to see the only two reasonable people from the dark territory removed right away so as not to allow them to be anything other than "the evil guys". Very exciting... I wonder when we will have our next obligatory rape and/or abuse scene.
Oct 3, 2020 7:13 AM

Feb 2013
There's only one word to describe Gabriel , sick!
Oct 4, 2020 2:02 AM
Jul 2016
Ugh, I'm not surprised the new villains killed that lil girl, but it's strange that he has a power to see souls.
The girl kinda looks like Alice, I can see where this will be going --

Sigh, why do sao's villains getting more sick tho. Kayaba looks cute in comparison (´。•_•。).

Also, where's Asuna?? I thought they dive at the same time? Or was it not?
Oct 12, 2020 9:55 AM

Aug 2020
Wow, the first time I see an anime character with my name (Alicia), she dies 10 minutes after being introduced. :/

That Gabriel is creepy as;;;; He was so cute as a kid, why did he have to end up like this?
Mar 6, 2021 11:50 AM

Sep 2012
NASA hired a wrong merc for the job cause hes total nutjob
Apr 4, 2021 1:56 AM
Mar 2016
like this series tries super hard to be technical with their explanations but then they don't understand any of the concepts. The end result is just gobbledygook. Now generic bad guy is a psychopath with a "dead soul" because he doesn't know "love," so he can eat the photons inside the structures inside the cells in your brain. I hate to break it to you, but there's no light in there. There's kind of this mass of meat in the way. That's why the dub changes it to the "energy of the electromagnetic field" of your brain. Still makes no sense, but at least it's better.

This big bad looks extremely boring, and he just killed off the two interesting villains. One of whom apparently used his lightcube to become a djinn and enter the big bad's soul. Like I'm all for fantasy and creativity, but this show tries so hard and talks about it so much I can't suspend my disbelief.

I just really hope Asuna is good in this. I waited for her to show up all last season, and it still makes no sense that she didn't dive with him beforehand. But then these two seasons have been so rife with plot holes, they might as well be swiss cheese.

I'm sure Kirito won't wake up until the last possible second, but either way I just want to see some fighting. Two thirds of the last season was exposition dumps, and a good chunk of the remainder comprised of pointless dialogue. We have enough characters. I don't care what anyone else is doing. I don't want to see anymore timeskips or cutaways (I know there will be many more). Just do the fucking thing. Please.
Dec 10, 2021 8:10 AM

Apr 2013
So... he pressed the soul out of his girlfriend in real life? What the fuck?
Jan 4, 2022 8:29 PM

Feb 2012
This is actually one of the best set ups SAO has done so far. It's nice to have a good understanding of the main villain at the start of the arc instead of just appearing right at the end. The death of the two Dark Knights did a great job in establishing how powerful Gabriel is, but also the philosophy he will be following in his assumed role. He is a solidly evil character that hopefully turns out to be a great antagonist.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

261 by futurelemon »»
Apr 15, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.