Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 4 Discussion

Nov 2, 2019 7:12 PM
The best ep so far atm, unlike only the Shasta background skipped and some details about Alicia and Gabriel's past but not bad !
Shasta and Lipia dont deserves these fate :(
Next episode will be show the integrity knights again !

Nov 2, 2019 7:26 PM

SAO inputs another 1 trick cheap villain, among its other constantly reused box-standard cliches of said creepy guy doing creepy things to women. At least Quinella had some depth beyond being a psychopath. The episode itself was perfectly fine, but fucking lord if the main villain isn't a total disappointment.

@Hegar
Don't both with him, he's probably on the spectrum and feeling better than randos on the internet because he read a book is the only validation he gets. Dude's actually claiming he's a lawyer, psychologist and probably a fairy too, but acts like this.
Modified by Yautja, Nov 2, 2019 7:31 PM

Nov 2, 2019 7:40 PM

I just wondering about one thing, is this Gabriel guy got a power to obtain any soul that he murdered both in real life and Underworld?!?!? That's crazy, he's like having a supernatural power.
Life is strange

Nov 2, 2019 7:56 PM

The part 1 of Alicization was quite a let-down but I like how this second part is introduced.

Is watching the anime a waste compared to the LN ? Should I read the LN before watching the anime, or can I still enjoy the LN after watching the anime ?

Nov 2, 2019 8:16 PM
Tiande said:
The part 1 of Alicization was quite a let-down but I like how this second part is introduced.

Is watching the anime a waste compared to the LN ? Should I read the LN before watching the anime, or can I still enjoy the LN after watching the anime ?

The Former if you are fine with spoilers.

Nov 2, 2019 8:17 PM
Tyleron said:
Lipia and Shasta are such an interesting characters that of course gets wasted by the *psychopath* (dear god another one of those villains in SAO, imagine my shock) guess we'll be seeing another black and white war between the human empire and the dark territories huh?. i'm really interested in seeing them both siding with the human empire but can't have a little bit of complexity in the storyline huh? guess my last hope is somehow the Dark Knights which was commanded by Shasta rebelled or something? but i won't put my hopes too high.

Spoilers: The Fist Fighter group eventually rebels as well.

Nov 2, 2019 9:22 PM
That Emperor guy is a total psycho ...

Nov 2, 2019 9:32 PM

That was messed up. That Gabriel is a freak. Looking at those scenes gave me chills.

Poor Lipia, poor Alicia...

This guy deserves the worst possible death possible, this guy is an absolute creep.

Nov 2, 2019 9:40 PM

So basically the villain is super creepy again. This guy honestly disgusts me and his 'friend' isn't any better there.

The dark knight guy really reminded me of Bercouli ngl
They had that lil clash scene too. Don't understand why he just suddenly disappeared after trying to attack Villain's mind/fluclight 100% tho

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

Nov 2, 2019 9:48 PM

honestly, these first four episodes is just lame. an intro after an intro after an intro after an intro. basically nothing is going on. just like a certain tv series we all know that has veerrrry disappointing last season (which everyone agrees upon). the narration to introduces the background and setting of the story and character is so lame. i guess they were bound by air time/episodes, but i bet there is a better way to solve this.
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.

Nov 2, 2019 9:54 PM

Gabriel is fucked up mannn. Wonder if the humans can defeat that army

Nov 2, 2019 10:10 PM

What a episode the madlads they didnt cut out it. So the comments swarming with a SJW so my post last episode thread is true. The Alicia scene is too graphic, and the Lipia scene too. To the next episode

Nov 2, 2019 10:42 PM

what a waste Lipia has to die in a gruesome way. I found her cute and her body tho... dude, what a curved shape ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

too bad fanatio and bercouli parallel in dark teritory have to die before we get their development

fuck reki
Modified by zalapeno, Nov 2, 2019 10:45 PM

Nov 2, 2019 10:50 PM
I'm genuinely surprised as to how psychopathic of a villain Kawahara has created. Even more so, he's killed two of the main anti-heroes. Are they just going to introduce two high-ranking characters just to have them be murdered the following episode?
Talent isn't a good judge of character, self-improvement is.

Nov 2, 2019 10:53 PM
A classic in Sao use harassment and sexual attacks for the catharsis of villains.

The funny thing is that according to this article, the writer said he would not use it anymore (to make it politically correct), and in this chapter of Sao the villain had a catharsis stealing the fluxlight from a half-naked woman jkkjk
https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/01/20/sword-art-online-sexual-assault-plot-device-comments-reki-kawahara/
Edit: it seems he said it after doing the alicization, I don't know xd. Anyway, meh villain

Modified by FireCrauter, Nov 2, 2019 11:03 PM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.

Nov 2, 2019 10:59 PM
FireCrauter said:
A classic in Sao use harassment and sexual attacks for the catharsis of villains.

The funny thing is that according to this article, the writer said he would not use it anymore (to make it politically correct), and in this chapter of Sao the villain had a catharsis stealing the fluxlight from a half-naked woman jkkjk
https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/01/20/sword-art-online-sexual-assault-plot-device-comments-reki-kawahara/
Edit: it seems he said it after doing the alicization, I don't know xd. Anyway, meh villain

You seriously think that it was actual sexual assault? How dumb are you?

Nov 2, 2019 11:00 PM
Turtles_Hunter said:
I often criticized SAO for it's atrocious pacing, and sometimes for its use of cliché. But in the end, it was still a nice to follow. It was that flawded serie you still enjoy to watch despite being very uneven.

After a first part of Alicisation that was underwhelming, everything took hours, it should have lasted at least 8 episodes less to be well paced, the 3 first episode of part 2 gave me hope. And then came episode 4. That's the first time I found SAO downright awful. Villains in ALO and GGO were ridiculous, but here we hit a all new lvl of retarded. The man saw soul IRL? 8 year old psychopath killer that can roam free? At least the bad guy during ALo had some credibility outside of the game. here it's just ridiculous.

And how so? Some men can think that way. In fact, all the more that Gabriel was a child then, thus no one can suspect him.
Modified by CYCLOPSCORE, Nov 2, 2019 11:10 PM

Nov 2, 2019 11:13 PM

Now that is something....hmmm where is Asuna

Nov 2, 2019 11:28 PM

i have several questions, in the last moment of shasta did he using enhance armament? and what happened when he attack gabriel? did shasta died because his soul was eaten?

Nov 2, 2019 11:35 PM

The Light Novel already made those killing scenes bad, but the anime just made me shiver. Ive seen alot of anime death's, but these ones were cilling to the bone not your normal kills or sounds.

But its nice to see they made Gabriel so creepy and hopefuly a good villain in the anime.
Medic or Tank
Whats the difference

Nov 2, 2019 11:56 PM
It's interesting to see the split opinions when I came in to expect mostly positive comments for sure :P

For me, this season is way way more intriguing and interesting than the previous one (so far for now). I can't believe myself saying this but I'm actually looking forward to watching SAO every week. Sad that only 12 episodes are available but 8 more to go!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Nov 3, 2019 12:00 AM

Wow, what have I just seen.

A teaspoon of bloody antagonist and another one of fan-service ????

Quite dissapointing for such high hopes I had at first.

Let's see where it will take us to in the last 8 eps.

Nov 3, 2019 12:19 AM
KazutoHero
So obviously this episode was to build up the heel and OH SWEET BUDDHA did they build him up. And it was something that he did that to the couple to make us know that he could do that to Asuna and Kirito and destroy all our positive vibes
Still my goodness the animation and storytelling continues to be amazing in this season.

Nov 3, 2019 12:29 AM

Well, looks like this season will be interesting again now that Gabriel is now here. Still waiting on how Asuna will interact with AFK Kirito, and still hoping for a good episodes.

Nov 3, 2019 12:36 AM
Can someone tell me what is the issue/theme of War of Underworld arc? Usually, i find SAO villains's action & behavior to have a connection to the arc's issue and theme.

For example, Quinela's obsession towards power and superiority, led her to create the taboo index that allows no one to surpass her authority and also create the huge gap between the lower and upper class. The two nobleman from sword academy then showed us how the class gap works in the society level with that rape attempt towards the lower class noble.

Nov 3, 2019 12:45 AM
How the hell some people saw those sexual assault/rape attempt scenes as a fanservice and think that the fans like it? Is it because the women are half naked? If you think so then there's surely something wrong with you.

Nov 3, 2019 12:56 AM
Weebsteria said:
How the hell some people saw those sexual assault/rape attempt scenes as a fanservice and think that the fans like it? Is it because the women are half naked? If you think so then there's surely something wrong with you.

why a killing scene needs to have sexual fanservice then?

Nov 3, 2019 1:11 AM
deg said:
Weebsteria said:

No needs because its not a fanservice to begin with.

Nov 3, 2019 1:15 AM
Weebsteria said:
deg said:

ye man are this suggestive scenes needed for example

https://i.ibb.co/CbFyqKn/Screenshot-4.png

Mod Edit: Posts must not contain more than one screenshot.
Modified by fancyjasper, Nov 3, 2019 6:21 AM

Nov 3, 2019 1:24 AM
deg said:
Weebsteria said:

Please man, are you horny or something? This type of assassination scenes has been widely used in any other media and they mostly contains more sexual elements than this one.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
Modified by fancyjasper, Nov 3, 2019 6:22 AM

Nov 3, 2019 1:28 AM
Weebsteria said:
deg said:

Please man, are you horny or something? This type of assassination scenes has been widely used in any other media and they mostly contains more sexual elements than this one.

lol you must be so dense like those harem MC i heard about

the fact is a lot of people not just me see this suggestive scenes and its a meme about SAO too for a long time now

also

'Sword Art Online' Creator Explains His Use of Sexual Assault as Plot Device
https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/12/13/sword-art-online-anime-sexual-assault-rape-explanation-story/

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
Modified by fancyjasper, Nov 3, 2019 6:22 AM

Nov 3, 2019 1:49 AM

A different episode archetype looking at the antithesis to the themes of the main characters

I really liked the characterisation of the antagonists - it made them feel alive.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha

Nov 3, 2019 1:39 AM

Oh no, we get another creepy villain. Pretty disappointed that the two dark knights were suddenly killed off after only 1 episode. They were pretty promising characters who could play large roles in the story. I suppose we're only going to get a "good vs evil" kind of conflict now.

Nov 3, 2019 2:00 AM

Those 3 shots after Lipia's death seem straight out of a snuff hentai scene.lol. And I do agree it's disappointing that those two die here.

So in the end the villain seems like another psycho on the surface and that to me is wack.

Nov 3, 2019 2:06 AM
emperor vector just showed how powerful he is that those who are trying to betray him will suffer like that... hahaha.. SOUL EATER... mode...

Nov 3, 2019 2:16 AM

so those 2 didnt send a letter to bercouli ahead of time because why

Nov 3, 2019 3:02 AM

Man, I thought the great Sword Art Online: Alicization would bring it to another level, but that author is as repetitive as his villains.

The episodes before gave hope for a more interesting villain Gabriel, it turned out to be the usual SAO dude just more insane. The scene with the dead young girl was a little too disturbing, I don't need such things. And for what purpose and why can random guy eat souls just like that, how can that be part of the virtual world?

Lol right after diving in the fantasy world he wasted quite some time with a dead Lipia and sitting on his throne, don't forget your job or JDSF will be coming for you.

Oh and I wonder why he is invincible all of a sudden.

Nov 3, 2019 4:37 AM
deg said:
Weebsteria said:

Becouse the anime directors are weird

Nov 3, 2019 4:55 AM

Ok do not talk about insects with your kids. It can make them psychopaths and want to kill their playmates... And the poor girl could not have another name than Alicia?
I missed something or Alice's eye reappears without explanation?

Very good episode anyway. The bad guy does bad things and with style. Lipya's death was not surprising, but its effect. The final attack was really impressive too.

Nov 3, 2019 5:02 AM

fucking Gabriel killed one of the few dark skinned girls I've ever liked in anime

welp, can't be helped, I hate him for that but he's got a pretty interesting backstory ngl

Nov 3, 2019 5:14 AM
Inuki said:
Ok do not talk about insects with your kids. It can make them psychopaths and want to kill their playmates... And the poor girl could not have another name than Alicia?
I missed something or Alice's eye reappears without explanation?

Very good episode anyway. The bad guy does bad things and with style. Lipya's death was not surprising, but its effect. The final attack was really impressive too.

Alice eye has been back for a while ?

Nov 3, 2019 5:15 AM
zalapeno said:
i have several questions, in the last moment of shasta did he using enhance armament? and what happened when he attack gabriel? did shasta died because his soul was eaten?

Would be ridiculous if they imply that every "fuructolighto" person on an atack of rage can crash the system and cause that kind of destruction.

So i hope it was just be cause shasta was a Knight, with special abilities, even if it was a kind of system bug anyway, since they exposed something happening in the "CPU".

-------------

About his death and the soul eating habillity of Gabriel, he is like an Administrator now (finding his free account WITHOUT PASSWORD), with that unlimited powers that Quinella had. So for the plot, probably he can do whatever he wants.

Absorbing souls, imortality, freezing heads in glass...

The major doubt to me in the moment is if Gabriel killed that another Alice girl in the real world, what would take the SAO bullshit to another level with that "paranormal" soul leaving phenomenon.

Nov 3, 2019 5:27 AM
Fabienne said:
Man, I thought the great Sword Art Online: Alicization would bring it to another level, but that author is as repetitive as his villains.

The episodes before gave hope for a more interesting villain Gabriel, it turned out to be the usual SAO dude just more insane. The scene with the dead young girl was a little too disturbing, I don't need such things. And for what purpose and why can random guy eat souls just like that, how can that be part of the virtual world?

Lol right after diving in the fantasy world he wasted quite some time with a dead Lipia and sitting on his throne, don't forget your job or JDSF will be coming for you.

Uh, he just got a god account. Did you see properly?

Nov 3, 2019 5:34 AM

CYCLOPSCORE said:

Ok good, how convenient.
Then the staff should have given a god account to Kirito in the first place XD

Nov 3, 2019 5:48 AM
Fabienne said:
CYCLOPSCORE said:

Ok good, how convenient.
Then the staff should have given a god account to Kirito in the first place XD

And why do you think that? Kirito would not even know why. Thus better as a normal player.

Nov 3, 2019 5:50 AM

CYCLOPSCORE said:
Fabienne said:

No, his soul is already dead, so it means his soul is inviolable.

"The most strong situation consists of happiness and enrage."

Nov 3, 2019 5:52 AM
Aim1rR said:
CYCLOPSCORE said:

No, his soul is already dead, so it means his soul is inviolable.

Well, in a philosophical sense, yeah, that is what Gabriel essentially is. A walking corpse metaphorically. Thinking that “eating souls” can fill his void.

Nov 3, 2019 6:07 AM

Rob7 said:

The major doubt to me in the moment is if Gabriel killed that another Alice girl in the real world, what would take the SAO bullshit to another level with that "paranormal" soul leaving phenomenon.

Nothing paranormal happens, it was only his imagination. If you notice the way the “soul” is shown in Underworld is identical to the way he imagine that in real life. It’s the Incarnation System of Underworld.

Nov 3, 2019 6:47 AM

Another edgelord villain. I guess Quintella is the highest SAO can get.

Nov 3, 2019 7:25 AM

How did Gabriel see souls in real world? I get it he's a psychopath, but he developed this Chunnibyou since childhood?

Then ... he is going to be the only one in that virtual world to see souls fading because he is a superuser with a unique skill to see and consume those souls to gain access to those souls' memories. righttttttt okay I guess?

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »