Forum Settings
Forums

Does the disicipline towards kids in anime bothers you?

New
Oct 31, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2012
Japan is a land of discipline and its because of that disicipline that they have manage to advance their country so fast these last hundred years.

I don´t know if this is common in real life but in anime, kids or young folks sometime goes through physical disicipline from either the parents, teachers and elders. Does this sometime bothers you when it happens? Or do you just acceot it as their way of raising their generartions?

How I love a game
Oct 31, 2019 10:53 AM

Jan 2009
can you give examples of the anime youre referring to? asian culture are known for tough love anyway
Oct 31, 2019 10:58 AM

Jun 2019
Why would a depiction of such a thing, or anything really, in a story bother you? Even if you don't personally use corporal punishment and physical disciplinary tactics on your children/students/whatever and don't agree with it, it's not like you're required to somehow agree with or approve of everything depicted in a a show. If you're not a murderer, does this mean you can't watch or would be too bothered to sit through shows that depict murder routinely?
Oct 31, 2019 11:12 AM

Oct 2015
I don't remember it happening too much. There was one in Hanasaku Iroha but the grandma was depicted as an old-fashioned person and conflicted with other characters many times. The show didn't take a stance on what was the right approach, which was nice.
Oct 31, 2019 11:20 AM

Sep 2014
Its a show. There are way worth things to ruin anime for me. Like out of place comedy.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 31, 2019 11:22 AM

Jan 2018
Does this have to do with the pussy SJW mentality of regarding things like spanking your kids as physically abusive? That kind of shit makes me laugh so hard.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 31, 2019 11:23 AM

Jul 2019
The only thing I can remember is that I was scared of the father in OreImo. That guy is no joke.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 31, 2019 11:28 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Nubiellee said:
The only thing I can remember is that I was scared of the father in OreImo. That guy is no joke.

That guy did not, in fact, appear in that series so he could play around

He was in that series purely to be the most terrifying entity in existence

Like wtf why did he manage to make me feel tense when I was watching fucking *OreImo* of all things, his aura is pure intimidation

Oct 31, 2019 11:35 AM

Jan 2012
WatchTillTandava said:
Why would a depiction of such a thing, or anything really, in a story bother you? Even if you don't personally use corporal punishment and physical disciplinary tactics on your children/students/whatever and don't agree with it, it's not like you're required to somehow agree with or approve of everything depicted in a a show. If you're not a murderer, does this mean you can't watch or would be too bothered to sit through shows that depict murder routinely?

No. But when the series itself does not acknowledge that it is a bad thing then it kinda makes me question the morality of that entire series.

How I love a game
Oct 31, 2019 12:38 PM

Jun 2019
Zack312 said:
No. But when the series itself does not acknowledge that it is a bad thing then it kinda makes me question the morality of that entire series.

Can a series or film not be morally neutral or amoral though rather than necessarily having a definitive moral stance as a whole or on everything depicted within it? That's how I tend to watch anything - with the fact that it doesn't necessarily have a decided moral/ethical, philosophical, or ideological stance in mind and even if it does, I'm not obligated to agree with it in any way as I am (or strive to be) an independent thinker who can form my own conclusions.
Oct 31, 2019 12:42 PM

Sep 2012
> Does X in fictional Y bother you?

No. No, it doesn't. You can always hit that "X" button if it does and poof, problem solved.
Oct 31, 2019 12:53 PM

Dec 2012
There's too many annoying undisciplined brats in anime for that for happen. If anything some of those little whelps could use MORE discipline. There's that mean little shit from the recent Fruits Basket remake for instance.
KruszerOct 31, 2019 1:00 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 31, 2019 1:27 PM

Aug 2010
i think they should be punished harder! suplex your children people, how else will they learn?
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 31, 2019 1:27 PM

Feb 2019
In conservative societies, it's pretty common to get hit by parents or teachers if the kid does something he wasn't supposed to. It's not a bad thing in fact it's encouraged by parents.

It doesn't bother me the least, except if it's straight up physical abuse.
Oct 31, 2019 2:00 PM

Sep 2014
No. Abusive parents helps me relate with the characters.
Oct 31, 2019 2:28 PM

Jun 2015
no it doesn't, heavier themes are sometime important for the story and to understand more about the characters and how it effects them.
Oct 31, 2019 3:15 PM

Oct 2019
Doesn't bother me, I grew up with a lot of spanking and I know I deserved it. I think it's better than have a kid grow up like Bakugo. But then he's like that even if his mom beat the shit outta him. That household is crazy.
Oct 31, 2019 3:18 PM
May 2019
No I mean it isn't real and there are worst things iin anime like MURDER.
Oct 31, 2019 3:44 PM

Jul 2017
I mean it's just their culture. It doesn't really matter if it bothers you or not
Oct 31, 2019 4:56 PM

Jul 2019
i don't mind it at all, because i firmly believe that discipline needs to happen when necessary. i wasn't raised to be some sjw manlet either, soooo
Oct 31, 2019 6:14 PM

Jul 2011
No my father literally raised me with an Iron Fist.

Oct 31, 2019 6:21 PM

Aug 2012
Nope. Actually, many kids these days need the discipline of some anime around. Too weak and spoiled.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Oct 31, 2019 6:35 PM

Jun 2015
What discipline? Most anime parents are dead or gone missing lol.

But somewhat related what I find a tiring cliché in school settings is the teacher trying to decide the future of the students and being all over them in order for them to make a decision. I know where it comes from but it's always depicted in an uncomfortably invading way.
Oct 31, 2019 8:10 PM

Nov 2016
At the end of the day every society has its own moral code and its own way to go through life and that western mentality that because a certain society has a different way to deal with a particular situation makes said society somewhat regressive can really be quite disrespectful at times. In this case you felt unconfortable about how some parents disciplined their children in anime without it being portrayed as anything negative and well for a long time as someone who came from a society where elder respect is a very big part of ones daily life I've felt unconfortable with how some teenagers will conduct themselves with some of their parents or elders in western media.
Oct 31, 2019 8:19 PM
Nov 2018
Greyleaf said:
Does this have to do with the pussy SJW mentality of regarding things like spanking your kids as physically abusive? That kind of shit makes me laugh so hard.

it hasn't anything to do with some dipshit political Agenda but with love over violence and do you know that even so-called "light" physical violence can lead to subconcious trauma?
Oct 31, 2019 8:37 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Hm I'd say that depends on the severity.

In a certain anime I watched (can't say the name due to spoilers), a mother literally whipped her daughter for being a failure despite the daughter doing her very best to please her.
In my opinion that's a couple steps too far and could count as child abuse. (Using the word "could" here on purpose. Spoiler-related reasons.)

But regular spanking or a smack in the face? I'd say that's pretty normal parenting and should be allowed.
Oct 31, 2019 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
If you have read Little Women and watched the 1987 Nippon Animation adaptation, you will be dissapointed at how Amy is treated both in the OP and later at the incident with the teacher at school. It distorts the novel's message. Only major flaw to an excellent series
Oct 31, 2019 10:29 PM

Jul 2016
No. Seeing naughty lolis getting spanked is delightful.
Oct 31, 2019 10:37 PM
Jul 2018
I mean, I got hit a lot as a child. And I am still being scolded a lot.
That's just normal.
Nov 1, 2019 12:35 AM

Feb 2012
Some of these replies make me question the emotional stability of Anime fans recently lol

In some cases, yes, because the story is probably meant to. Usually it isn't with the physical discipline tho unless a relative is shown to be abusive (la chancla was a thing in my family so i don't really see an issue with a good smack to quickly correct wrong behavior but anything more intense is a no go and usually shown that way), but for me there seems to be a lot more emotional and psychological abuse with parents having high, suffocating expectations for their children to the point it usually sets off the events of the plot.
I do see a problem with it - like, I'm pretty sure the show wants you to to see why the protag is unhappy and doing things, etc. so unless you just don't give a damn about the MC or have a kink for that stuff I don't see why you wouldn't be bothered by it. It would bother me in real life, too. That's just bad parenting.
VyudaliNov 1, 2019 12:39 AM
Nov 1, 2019 7:34 AM
May 2016
It bothers me tremendously. The replies in this thread bother me tremendously
Nov 1, 2019 8:02 AM

Apr 2016
Lol my parents have beaten me many times in the last two decades. You people in the West should just get used to it and don't go, "ohmygawd they beat children!" XD Its extremely common here.
Nov 1, 2019 3:32 PM

Apr 2010
I can't say I remember anything like this... bad parents and educators are everywhere, not just Japan. But you don't really see this in media. But what bothers me sometimes it that minors live without an adult.

Nov 1, 2019 11:59 PM

Oct 2018
first of all try to understand the character's whole psychological development then writer's intention and perspective.

I am an Asian, we are known for our tough love. though it bothers me sometime, but I try think deep. I mean I try to understand why some character are good at parenting and some are not.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Nov 2, 2019 9:18 AM

Nov 2008
Kruszer said:
There's too many annoying undisciplined brats in anime for that for happen. If anything some of those little whelps could use MORE discipline.

I was gonna say the same thing. xD I hate MOST children in anime...you just want to smack them in the face. Multiple times.

Chibiusa

Nov 2, 2019 11:10 AM

Oct 2008
I find it annoying occasionally, but not always. Its one of the things that I wonder if a character were to rebel what would happen. There are parents that would just let the kid do whatever he decides, but disown him. Or discipline him, but what if the kid strikes back, I still haven't seen what would happen.
Nov 2, 2019 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
Chiibi said:
Kruszer said:
There's too many annoying undisciplined brats in anime for that for happen. If anything some of those little whelps could use MORE discipline.

I was gonna say the same thing. xD I hate MOST children in anime...you just want to smack them in the face. Multiple times.

Chibiusa

Also 99% of anime parents would have to discipline their children from beyond the grave or overseas because they're dead or never around for the sake of plot convenience.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 3, 2019 10:20 AM

Jan 2014
No it doesn't bother me, I think this also has to deal with ethnic/culture issues, I mean disciplinary abuse involving physical contact can occur in any place but Asian people hit their children, it was normal, schools in Asia physically disciplining their students. They probably still do but to a lesser extent now. It's all out of love.... I think.
Nov 3, 2019 10:27 AM

Mar 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
The difference is obviously whether the series endorses the action or not.

I find some of the endorsements of strict roles related to age, social status, and gender in Japanese media to be somewhat disturbing — I watch it notwithstanding if it be otherwise good, but I can't help but find some of the cultural ideas to be somewhat mediæval.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 3, 2019 12:01 PM

Jun 2019
Sphinxter said:
WatchTillTandava said:

I find some of the endorsements of strict roles related to age, social status, and gender in Japanese media to be somewhat disturbing — I watch it notwithstanding if it be otherwise good, but I can't help but find some of the cultural ideas to be somewhat mediæval.

But even if it's endorsing it, I just find it alien to me that it would be deemed necessary for every film, show, book, game, music, etc. that someone consumes has to agree with them ideologically on any issue. Do people only want to expose themselves to things they already agree with? I think this is poorly thought out and contributes to a lot of narrow-mindedness.
Nov 3, 2019 12:54 PM

Mar 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
Sphinxter said:

But even if it's endorsing it, I just find it alien to me that it would be deemed necessary for every film, show, book, game, music, etc. that someone consumes has to agree with them ideologically on any issue. Do people only want to expose themselves to things they already agree with? I think this is poorly thought out and contributes to a lot of narrow-mindedness.
So would you enjoy watching material that say actively endorses say going out and killing some Jews for no other reason than that they are Jews?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 3, 2019 12:59 PM

Jun 2019
Sphinxter said:
So would you enjoy watching material that say actively endorses say going out and killing some Jews for no other reason than that they are Jews?

Sure. I mean, I've watched Die Rothschilds, Jud Suss, etc. and other German wartime era propaganda films, while I don't support either arbitrary or blanket ethnic killings and pogroms of any group. Whatever the age or country of origin, it's never a prerequisite for me to agree with any latent or overt messages of a production to want to view and experience it. I guess I just don't get this mentality. I feel like such would be self-imposing a wholly unnecessary artificial limitation and restriction on my field of vision of the world and putting a monotone grey filter over all of it.
WatchTillTandavaNov 3, 2019 1:02 PM
Nov 3, 2019 1:04 PM

Sep 2011
I remember in Fate where Caster straight up killed a kid but that's different. That's Spicy Discipline™.
Uhh other than that, I remember a few times where it's like "Oh shut the fuck up" kind of discipline like towards female characters (none come to mind but it's always the "You're supposed to be a good girl you can't do xyz")((Oh Crimson Hero had that now I remember)) or the "You can't do xyz you're the heir to this company" with males but there's never been and outright like, unreasonable discipline where I've sat there, as someone who's been "overly disciplined" aka abused, and been like, oh. Oh no. I can't watch this.
I think both Japanese and Western mediums of media share the same amount of exposure when it comes down to how children are disciplined. The only time it really becomes highlighted is if it's a plot element, a whole storyline, or when it becomes abuse.
Nov 3, 2019 3:57 PM

Mar 2019
Before everyone just accepts this without questioning it, OP where the hell are you seeing kids getting hit by their parents in anime where it has not been regarded as abusive? I can only think of one example of a parent hitting their child in anime and that was in Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, in which case, it was very clear that the writers of the show and the other characters considered it to be abuse.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2019 4:37 PM

Jan 2016
if you mean by physical disciplined their kid, in reality they're just showing their love, so the kid would be mentally ready for punishment and reward when they jump onto society later on future, its just some anime took it into another level of abuse
Nov 3, 2019 7:15 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
If you mean like getting slapped in the face for bad behavior, then it's nothing new for me—not just cuz I watch a lot of anime and read a lot of manga and have seen this happen here and there a lot...
I'm an Asian-American who pretty much grew up with parents who would hit you for shit that you did wrong (sometimes a bit too unnecessarily harsh), so that's another reason why that feels like nothing to me.

It might shock me a little if it's something that feels out of character for the character doing the hitting—which I'm pretty sure is the intended reaction for some of the times where this kind of thing happens in anime.
But it doesn't really bother me, unless it's straight-up overboard like what I've heard about with shows like Magical Girl Site (don't know exactly, cuz I kinda refuse to watch the anime for the many... other things I've heard about it).
Nov 3, 2019 8:22 PM
Jan 2012
This is gonna go absolutely nowhere until examples actually get brought up because the only time I've seen this is when it's played as a slapstick gag like almost every comedy anime has, or is a scene that obviously isn't endorsing it. Even if it does happen, it's not something openly being endorsed, it's not some kind of epidemic.

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

30 by FZREMAKE »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

93 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 1 hour ago

16 by Coaghim »»
15 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.