Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 31, 2019 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I wonder if these latest practices are used to measure the characters' personalities...

Anyways, if the team wants to succeed, they need to all be on the same page. Maki and Touma's relationship seems to be improving.
Oct 31, 2019 11:33 AM
Mar 2014
Gosh, that end credit scene, and then the little hint of a flashback of Maki as a baby and his dad. This series loves to go from super light and fun to all of a sudden dark. Wonder how Maki will explain the tennis racket, or how his dad will show up in the next episode for the money? I wonder if his dad has been waiting for him before, but refused to do anything when he saw Maki with friends, so he only got to him when he was alone?

Super excited for next week!

(Also did anyone else have an issue with the subtitles on Funimation? For me, it was a bit behind the dialogue.)
Oct 31, 2019 11:43 AM
Sep 2015
I could be more surprised by Maki's dad if not the last episode Ameno actually hit the verbal bully in his head with tennis racket.
Oct 31, 2019 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
Dull episode, it seems to exist mostly as a set-up for the next episode and future plot points. I'm going to guess "the incident" refers to Maki's dad.

Mitsue is starting to get on my nerves. She's just kinda there being snarky and having absolutely no connection with the club. I'd rather they spent more screentime on actual members.

Oct 31, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2019
Maki's plan of changing the pairs worked. Rintaro needs a partner, the dude's feeling lonely.

The episode was all fun and games till maki's dad appeared. I wish he gets punched in the face atleast once by maki or toma.

Oct 31, 2019 12:09 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
They're going above and beyond with the animation, i'm so impressed with the motions in the games, they got even better IMO.

And what a fkin gut punch again at the end. There was talk of an incident when the two supervisors talked, Maki's father involved?
Oct 31, 2019 12:28 PM
May 2019
Another solid episode, this time really focused on tennis. We'll finally see them actually playing. Those council members are all assholes tho, wanna see their faces when the club win a match.
And his dad, what a fucking douchebag. It's not enough he's taking their money, he wants to be all bossy and keep him from playing, wtf. There's no backstory that will make me stop hating him.

cythraul said:
Maki's plan of changing the pairs worked. Rintaro needs a partner, the dude's feeling lonely.

What do you mean, Itsuki is his pair.
Oct 31, 2019 12:35 PM
May 2017
I just love this anime so much! Just when everything was going well maki's das had to appear. Fuck that guy

The subtitles were behind for me too.
Oct 31, 2019 12:41 PM

Feb 2019
CaioOlive said:

cythraul said:

What do you mean, Itsuki is his pair.

Yeah he is, I didn't really pay attention to that part but rather the part where he was shown sad struck me. I wonder why he is sad tho..

cythraulNov 1, 2019 6:11 AM
Oct 31, 2019 1:05 PM

Mar 2019
Besides the ending scene that was very good, the episode was kinda boring they play and get along with their new pairs but nothing really happened
Oct 31, 2019 1:08 PM

Mar 2016
I was ready to believe this anime won't have an opening, but I'm glad it does. It's beautiful, and fits the anime quite well.

Yuuta is such a nice boy. He helped Maki out with the cleaning, and also found a way for Touma to help.

I loved the new pairings. It allowed the kids to talk with one another comfortably, and actually get better.

A practice match!! This was the most sports-anime-ish feeling I have ever got from this anime. lol.

When Maki let his friends go, it was quite clear what was about to happen next, which made it difficult to enjoy the ending theme. I really hate that father!

That prick of a father actually destroyed Maki's bat! Bloody hell! I am so mad at him right now!! I seriously really loathe that man!!

My only problem with the episode was the part where the little Maki had an adult's voice. It felt so wrong and out of place.

About the controversy with the ed: I was afraid this episode might get delayed, but I am glad it aired. However, the ending still doesn't give credit to the dance choreographers. That's kind of sad.
Oct 31, 2019 1:13 PM

Nov 2017
I hope Maki's father dies soon. What a cunt, ruining my wholesome anime
Oct 31, 2019 1:21 PM

Aug 2018
holy shit that post credit scene... idk if I can handle this much drama
Oct 31, 2019 1:31 PM

Nov 2010
I understand that they want to have the tension of the father and Maki being to scared to do anything, but with his mother already having a restraining order in the works, shouldn't there be some safeguards in place from the government against that kind of thing?
I mean they know the father is mental, that is why the mother requested a restraining order to begin with.

My guess is that Mitsue will catch the abuse (living in the same building and all) and in the end be more effective than all the adults dealing with this situation.
I'm sure these kinds of situations exist, but by god there are ways to handle it, and they do nothing. That is more infuriating than the fathers behavior.
zwolf12Oct 31, 2019 1:34 PM
Oct 31, 2019 1:34 PM
Oct 2019
Nothing was wrong with the episode, but it was definitely a set up for the episodes to come, so it was a bit tedious to watch as nothing much happened. I'm looking forward to the practice match and where they go from there. I'm also interested to see what each character's family lives will contribute to the story. Loving it so far. =)
Oct 31, 2019 1:39 PM

Dec 2011
Maki's father is a piece of shit. This episode felt so good till that post credit scene...
I like how the team are bonding and they are going to have their first test against one of the best soft tennis team.
Oct 31, 2019 1:54 PM

Feb 2011
Maki's father is an irredeemable piece of shit. Don't even try to redeem his character, i will not be satisfied unless he has some horrible fate that awaits him.
Oct 31, 2019 2:05 PM

Jul 2009
Damn I was hoping his father would appear while his friends were over so he'd have some form of protection! I bet he was waiting until he saw him alone. But still as soon as he heard his father's voice he should've just ran away. The man is a disaster. He should call the police too!

Oct 31, 2019 2:21 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wtf his dad has really a big problem in his head
Oct 31, 2019 2:34 PM

Aug 2014
The start showed the creators don't really focus all that much on the sport itself and its basic rules so good thing it can make up for that with good plot. Also, why doesn't he use the very basic self defence technique his friend showed him. you know, the "pick up the racket and hit the person with it" technique ?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Oct 31, 2019 2:39 PM
Apr 2013
Hurray, another one of the episodes with the shitty dad. Do you know when a side plot should be cut out? When you CAN cut it out and nothing for the main story changes. The way it would happen in this story. That piece of shit side story is in there to create drama. Nothing more. Nothing less. Ergo, bad writing. Too bad.
Oct 31, 2019 3:17 PM

Feb 2018
zwolf12 said:
I understand that they want to have the tension of the father and Maki being to scared to do anything, but with his mother already having a restraining order in the works, shouldn't there be some safeguards in place from the government against that kind of thing?
I mean they know the father is mental, that is why the mother requested a restraining order to begin with.

My guess is that Mitsue will catch the abuse (living in the same building and all) and in the end be more effective than all the adults dealing with this situation.
I'm sure these kinds of situations exist, but by god there are ways to handle it, and they do nothing. That is more infuriating than the fathers behavior.

Yeah, it would be much better if they cut this drama short. This is a little on the unrealistic side, why are the adults being so unresponsible?? Well, maki can tell his mother that father came here but he doesn't!!

It would be much better to cut the drama short and focus more on sports and character interactions!! I am really enjoying that part of the story...
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Oct 31, 2019 3:38 PM

Apr 2018
Maki's dad is actually ruining the story for me. This one could be so good without some unnecessary "dark tones." If he dies later on it might save this story :)
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Oct 31, 2019 3:55 PM
Mar 2015
Just when things are going good the bastard shows up to ruin things
Oct 31, 2019 4:06 PM

Sep 2011
I loved the OP. It's kind of weird when the OP is calm, and the ED lively, but it's nice. The pairs Maki came up with are working well, and I love their dynamic too. He is really changing the team for the better, even their advisor, who tried to help them as he could, and it's working. I also loved to see him making, and having dinner with Touma, Yuuta, and Mitsue again. They seem to always be together, and this may be the first time in a while he really has friends.

But as wholesome as it is, I was afraid all the time that the abuser would show up, and he did. I'm so mad that the word doesn't even cover it. Maki should seek help, tell his mother, and call the police. But who knows? Maybe they tried before, and it only resulted in them being hit harder. It's revolting and infuriating, but I can already see Maki coming up with the money like that dastard asked. That flashback was gut-wrenching too. This kind of violence and coercion is so vile, and low that I can't even.
Oct 31, 2019 4:11 PM

Jan 2016
The episode was so fun until the end when it took a dark turn

I actually want Maki to go all Yuno yandere style on his dad, that's the only thing that'll take away my anger. If anger is what the producers wanted to evoke in me, they've succeeded.

shubh_jain_2 said:
zwolf12 said:

Yeah, it would be much better if they cut this drama short. This is a little on the unrealistic side, why are the adults being so unresponsible?? Well, maki can tell his mother that father came here but he doesn't!!

It would be much better to cut the drama short and focus more on sports and character interactions!! I am really enjoying that part of the story...

Well, the creators want this mainly to be a drama rather than a sports anime. Also, it's not unrealastic because aults are actually unresponsible lol

Of course he doesn't tell, this is the way that he's been brought up through psychological brainwashing by his dad. Also, he's a middle schooler, you tend to give in to fear and not think clearly or simply not believe in the system
Oct 31, 2019 4:20 PM
Jan 2019
I am hoping club advisor comes through with some kinda of Help to deal with dad
Oct 31, 2019 4:42 PM

Feb 2018
FireFistYK said:
The episode was so fun until the end when it took a dark turn

I actually want Maki to go all Yuno yandere style on his dad, that's the only thing that'll take away my anger. If anger is what the producers wanted to evoke in me, they've succeeded.

shubh_jain_2 said:

Well, the creators want this mainly to be a drama rather than a sports anime. Also, it's not unrealastic because aults are actually unresponsible lol

Of course he doesn't tell, this is the way that he's been brought up through psychological brainwashing by his dad. Also, he's a middle schooler, you tend to give in to fear and not think clearly or simply not believe in the system

Yeah,he might not believe in system, but why is he keeping this from his mother??
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Oct 31, 2019 4:53 PM

Jan 2016
shubh_jain_2 said:

Yeah,he might not believe in system, but why is he keeping this from his mother??

Fear of what his dad will do, psychological brainwashing and most likely he doesn't want to bother his mother because all she already does is work.

Think about how Katsuragi is, he don't want to join a club because he wouldn't be able to do his chores and because equipment is expensive. All of this is because he can see how hard his mother works for him and he doesn't want to bring more trouble in to her life.
Oct 31, 2019 5:12 PM

Dec 2014
Good episode, it was fun all the way up until the end which was some crazy drama.

It's nice to see the club coming together, Maki's pairs were effective.
The comparison of the boys to grasshoppers made me laugh. xD

I don't understand why Maki doesn't tell his Mom or complain, it's clear his Dad isn't supposed to be there and he should be able to get some kind of protection.
The ED is awesome. xD
Oct 31, 2019 5:41 PM

Jan 2011
man this episode was all feels good and we got to see a actual decent parent for the one kid feeling a bit left out, but the one time everyone doesn't come over this piece of shit runs the day.

all the pairings though were spot on like putting the two timid kids together and the more aggressive ones
Oct 31, 2019 6:10 PM

Nov 2016
Really enjoyable episode again. The practice segment had some nice animation again and the team chemistry is also getting better.

Sensei also does his best to support his boys.

And holy fuck, Maki's dad seriously needs a lesson that he won't forget.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 31, 2019 6:35 PM

Oct 2009
The OP is great, certainly one of those "better late than never" pleasant surprises. Their teacher setting up that practice match for them was nice to see, he actually cares about the boys, who are now all too excited to just go ahead with everything. Little bit of thinking and focus have already gotten them so far and they're just happy about it. This anime's really shaping up to be a precious gem.

As for Maki's father... Yeah, sadly, his character and the entire situation are both all legit. They're doing a great job of depicting it in a rather realistic way, I mean it's heart-wrenching of course, but then every kind of abuse is. And this is certainly not that uncommon.
Oct 31, 2019 7:03 PM

Dec 2010
I can't tell apart the quieter ones, lol. And that dad is cray. Hope it's resolved soon.
Oct 31, 2019 7:15 PM

Nov 2010
So, the pairs have changed to the pairs shown in the ending dance, but it seems someone has mixed feeling about the change.
---
And here comes today's unhappy hour at the end. Maki and almost all of the MAL users don't want it but this time he promised he will definitely come there tomorrow again. It might be a good news since we may be going to see slight solution next time, but who knows?
Oct 31, 2019 7:44 PM

Sep 2017
funimation's subs are super messed up rn but kissanime has the exact same timing? i think i'll have to wait to watch the episode til it's fixed bc it's so distracting that the sub is like 3 lines behind that's going on
Oct 31, 2019 7:47 PM

Jan 2014
shubh_jain_2 said:
zwolf12 said:

Clearly someone's never grown up in a dysfunctional, abusive family.
Oct 31, 2019 7:49 PM

Jan 2014
I KNEW that scumbag was going to show up as soon as Maki's friends said they couldn't come over that day. I hope that fucker dies.
Oct 31, 2019 8:32 PM

Oct 2018
zwolf12 said:

You know what? It's honestly just the way it is in Japan. Domestic issues go unnoticed a lot of the times because Japan has a culture that values privacy. Nobody really likes to get involved in other people's business, hence why in anime usually the first or most prominent issue we see among spouses and families with young kids is domestic abuse. Whether it's the mother or father, especially abuse against children goes unnoticed because there's so much at stake when abuse including a child is uncovered. The legal implications and process are just a lot heavier and have more to it as opposed to spousal abuse, so that's why detecting, preventing and helping children with domestic abuse is honestly hard.

The restraining order is still in works, meaning legally right now, it holds no power. The father is still allowed to see Maki until that restraining order is put through. Even then, restraining orders only pose the threat of putting the father in jail for some time, and that's if an officer is even watching him constantly. If no one watches him on a certain day and the father sees Maki (assuming Maki stays quiet about it) then it'll go unnoticed. While whoever is providing the restraining order legally and obviously understands that there is a dire enough reason for it to be filed, it's only a restraining order, people file those all the time. It's like there's no system to know which ones are more severe than others, so they don't employ officers to watch people who are getting a restraining order against them soon.

There's also the fact that children stay very quiet about abuse as a whole. Most of the time you have no clue, just like how Maki's friends have no clue that the one day they didn't come over to his house, his father harassed him and broke his racket. Neither did they know just days before they began eating dinner with Maki he was kicked and punched in the face by his father. Children who suffer from abuse hide it so well that it's so sad. Maki's personality even makes it seem like he's all good.

It may seem like the adults are being "irresponsible" or that the drama seems unrealistic, but it's actually very realistic. Domestic abuse goes very unnoticed not only in Japan but around the world. I personally know many cases of it going completely unnoticed. I hope that kinda answers your question on how in the world this is still happening. I really just wanna give Maki a hug ;(
~ These boys must be protected at all costs ~
Oct 31, 2019 8:34 PM

Oct 2018
Jotakak said:
I KNEW that scumbag was going to show up as soon as Maki's friends said they couldn't come over that day. I hope that fucker dies.

FACTS how badly I wanna smash a racket over Maki's dad's head. He has no right to treat little Maki like that, he's like a little smug ball of sunshine, I just wanna hug him and make sure he's alright, the way he was trembling literally made me almost cry ;(
Oct 31, 2019 8:37 PM

Oct 2018
WHO. ELSE. LOVED. THE. OPENING!!?

It was so pretty I almost cried, fits the anime so perfectly.
Oct 31, 2019 8:38 PM

Oct 2015
Nice pair up by Maki, the guy seems like he was doing this for a long time, he should be captain.

Bully papa is back. I thought he would smash that racket on his son's head there.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 31, 2019 8:44 PM

Jan 2014
sammyk124 said:
Jotakak said:

FACTS how badly I wanna smash a racket over Maki's dad's head. He has no right to treat little Maki like that, he's like a little smug ball of sunshine, I just wanna hug him and make sure he's alright, the way he was trembling literally made me almost cry ;(

Those scenes are always so hard to watch because I know what it's like to freeze up in fear like that. I get such bad anxiety just watching those scenes. I really wish I could protect him. I hope someone finds out and saves him soon.
Oct 31, 2019 8:47 PM

Oct 2018
Jotakak said:
sammyk124 said:

Those scenes are always so hard to watch because I know what it's like to freeze up in fear like that. I get such bad anxiety just watching those scenes. I really wish I could protect him. I hope someone finds out and saves him soon.

I know exactly what you mean, I genuinely know the fear he must have felt in that moment as well and all it makes me want to do is just protect him. It's always so hard for me to watch scenes with abuse because I truly empathize with the victim and it just hurts me to see someone so undeserving of such treatment to go through that. I really hope Mitsue or someone sees his struggle and just comforts little Maki, I love that kid.
Oct 31, 2019 9:15 PM

Mar 2016
I refuse to accept that fucking scumbag as Maki's dad.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 31, 2019 9:20 PM

Jul 2016
Why does Maki's shitty father talk like if he were a villain in a fighting shounen? Honestly, I'm starting to find his behaviour a bit "exaggerated" but I hope the next episode gives me more insight into his mindset since I'm curious about the words he said.

Overall, it felt more like a transition kind of episode for what's to come regarding the upcoming match and some plot points but that said, it was still entertaining nevertheless.

By the way, I'm also surprised with how consistent the animation has been so far. I know it's not the main appeal of the series but I personally hope this aspect remains this good.
Oct 31, 2019 9:41 PM
Jan 2017
Stars Align delivers yet another fine episode! Last week's episode didn't really impress me because of its overindulgence in melodrama. It wasn't bad; it's just felt the show used too much drama and forgot to lighten things up. Fortunately, this episode made up for it by focusing on the soft tennis training and the team becoming closer.

A complaint I had against Maki is that he came off as too much of a jerk and the show went out of its way to vindicate his opinions. This episode does a good job at helping Maki garner some sympathy from viewers with that terrifying post-credits scene with his father. After the show focused too much on his talents and skills, it felt nice that the show focused on Maki's more vulnerable side. As weird as it sounds, flaws are what make a character human. If the show focused a bit more on Maki's emotional struggles, then he could become more likeable.

Stars Align is one of the finest shows of the season. Despite some flaws here and there, I'm enjoying this show and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Nov 1, 2019 12:45 AM

Jul 2012
Alright. Another episode of Hoshiai no Sora that ended in child abuse. I just have to get used to this.

I just wish the anime would tone it down a notch. It leaves me with a bitter aftertaste each time.
Nov 1, 2019 1:01 AM

Jul 2014
This show can't go one week without torturing its characters, can it? Sheesh. I wonder what happened to the teacher? Injury? Crushing defeat?
Nov 1, 2019 1:24 AM

Aug 2013
Maki is a great character. The pair that he came up with is working nicely.

That ending... someone needs to beat up Maki's dad.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who let Kathleen Kennedy to make anime?

LostInLove - 11 hours ago

4 by LostInLove »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.