Forum Settings
Forums

What's the biggest asspull in anime history?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2019 8:50 AM

Jun 2019
Orion_Gospel said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

Any examples? The only major asspull I've seen so far is Snakeman and even that's explainable to an extent.

Best example i can give is the battle between Luffy and Doflamingo
There are forced moments considered it's taken place in the longest One Piece arc, but Luffy vs Doffy asspull/s cannon be found. If you mean about the G4, it's explained, pretty much so nope.

I would like to know, where exactly the asspull is?! At what scene?

Jyoshiro said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

I wouldn't call Hunter Gon an asspull because it obeys nen laws. Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.

I agree. With nen laws you can make conditions to gain power. And Gon makes the biggest giving up his nen and basically life altogether. Now introducing Nanika all of a sudden who can completely heal him is a huge asspull although I don't mind totally cuz Gon is back lol.
it ain't. As I replied to someone's else in this thread, it all ties with the manga although there are some stuff yet unclear but I'm sure the author is gonna give answers very soon, I hope tho.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperNov 9, 2019 8:11 AM
Oct 31, 2019 8:55 AM

Aug 2015
A few examples:

And finally the biggest asspull for me is actually in Hunter x Hunter:

Oct 31, 2019 8:56 AM

Jun 2019
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

I wouldn't call Hunter Gon an asspull because it obeys nen laws. Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.

You're right, what I meant was the fact that Gon had to sacrifice literally everything, and Alluka just recovered him back to his usual state, besides the fact that he's not able to use nen anymore. The thing is, Ging said that he still has the ability to use nen, he just have to search for something in order to use nen once again. But yeah, my bad here, I've forgotten the details because I watched it quite a long time ago.

Tista said:
It ties to the new arc in the manga, and if you read it you see that things where not so simple for Gon.

Anime only will never understand it, though. You have to read the manga.

Yeah, I think I'll read it in the near future. Internet says that anime ends on chapter 338, should I start here or read it from the beginning? Does the plot vary significantly?
It's pretty much the same but I'd rather recommend starting it from the start and appreciate it's unique yet simple style of his manga.
Oct 31, 2019 8:57 AM
Sep 2019
Tista said:
Jyoshiro said:

I agree. With nen laws you can make conditions to gain power. And Gon makes the biggest giving up his nen and basically life altogether. Now introducing Nanika all of a sudden who can completely heal him is a huge asspull although I don't mind totally cuz Gon is back lol.
it ain't. As I replied to someone's else in this thread, it all ties with the manga although there are some stuff yet unclear but I'm sure the author is gonna give answers very soon, I hope tho.

Yea I really need to read the manga. There are a few I want to read so far only one I've got around to is Kingdom. Also I'd like to wait for more to come out if that ever actually happenes.
Oct 31, 2019 9:06 AM

Dec 2017
Shinsekai Yori tends to just pull things out of thin air that the characters suddenly remember after never mentioning it throughout the rest of the series and that thing tends to be exactly what's needed to either save the characters or progress the plot

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Oct 31, 2019 9:17 AM

Jan 2019
@Mattinator95 "Even though we sore him crack his neck throughout leading up to that point which he doesn't anymore"

A Broken Neck doesn't mean you are dead. You can live with a Broken neck and still recover. https://uvahealth.com/services/ortho-trauma/neck-fracture
Oct 31, 2019 9:42 AM

Jul 2019
Water-sama said:
@Mattinator95 "Even though we sore him crack his neck throughout leading up to that point which he doesn't anymore"

A Broken Neck doesn't mean you are dead. You can live with a Broken neck and still recover. https://uvahealth.com/services/ortho-trauma/neck-fracture
Look at his face though. :'(
But maybe I' m just upset because this anime is playing with my emotions haha.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 31, 2019 9:48 AM
Jan 2018
Water-sama said:

I'm referring to his stiff neck he had which he cracked or what ever the term is. Which turns out was the cause of left over petrified skin like the girls toe
Oct 31, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2019
@Nubiellee
@Mattinator95

If your Neck is broken im very sure that you wouldn't look happy about it.
Also you wouldn't be able to move much. Your spine has alot of damage to it.
You'd basically be a vegetable like celery head Senku in the GIF.
Oct 31, 2019 9:55 AM

Jul 2019
Water-sama said:
@Nubiellee
@Mattinator95

If your Neck is broken im very sure that you wouldn't look happy about it.
Also you wouldn't be able to move much. Your spine has alot of damage to it.
You'd basically be a vegetable like celery head Senku in the GIF.
Celery head... XD It all makes sense now.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 31, 2019 10:02 AM

Jan 2019
@Mattinator95
I understand what you're talking about now.

Senku had some of the mysterious petrification on the back of his neck so it was making his neck stiff so he'd crack it The miracle stuff heals people very good. He used it as a back-up if he got hurt, Which the crazy guy did do.
Oct 31, 2019 10:03 AM

May 2016
Piromysl said:
Girls suddenly regaining all their body functions in Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
Best thing is, that in sequel they ass pulled ending again.
For the first season, you could say the God Tree decided to return their functions due to Togo's actions, but I'll admit it's still a bit asspull-y.

As for the second season, it seems like an aspull however a supplementary light novel made like a year ago (NoWaYu) explains it, vene if in a forced way.
Oct 31, 2019 10:10 AM

Aug 2018
Almost every duel in Yugioh, remember how he magically gained the Dark Magician Girl?
Oct 31, 2019 10:18 AM

Mar 2012
SuzuMine-chan said:
Piromysl said:
Girls suddenly regaining all their body functions in Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
Best thing is, that in sequel they ass pulled ending again.
For the first season, you could say the God Tree decided to return their functions due to Togo's actions, but I'll admit it's still a bit asspull-y.

As for the second season, it seems like an aspull however a supplementary light novel made like a year ago (NoWaYu) explains it, vene if in a forced way.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 31, 2019 10:20 AM

May 2018
Tista said:
It's pretty much the same but I'd rather recommend starting it from the start and appreciate it's unique yet simple style of his manga.

Alright, I'll do so then!

Asaeed said:

For Hunter x Hunter, the transformation wasn't the asspull, it's how he was healed afterwards

Yeah, some1 mentioned it before, I put it wrongly
reformed
Oct 31, 2019 10:36 AM
Jul 2017
Orion_Gospel said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

Any examples? The only major asspull I've seen so far is Snakeman and even that's explainable to an extent.

Best example i can give is the battle between Luffy and Doflamingo

I'm assuming you're talking about the gear 4th reveal? It wasn't used before Dressrosa simply because the antagonists he faced before Doffy (Hody and Caesar) were too weak to face Gear 4th and he couldn't have used it while destroying the arc in Fishman Island because there were numerous bite wounds on his body so if he used G4 in that state he wouldn't survive.

Other than that it was a pretty overwhelming battle for Luffy considering that Law had wounded Doffy's insides using Gamma Knife and Luffy had to be helped by Gyats, Sabo and the colloseum warriors to barely survive.
Oct 31, 2019 10:39 AM

Apr 2016
Code Geass episode 23

Oct 31, 2019 10:43 AM
Jul 2017
Tista said:
monkeyDberzerk said:
Nanika on the other hand is one huge asspull.
It ties to the new arc in the manga, and if you read it you see that things where not so simple for Gon.

SPOILERS AHEAD. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAG THEM.

I've read the manga and, no Gon losing his nen usage doesn't justify the kind of power up he got in exchange. He became the second strongest character in the entire series and all it cost him was his nen usage. If it was a different power up, maybe something a whole lot weaker it'd be justified but only nen usage and no other repercussions for that kinda power? That's some Naruto level asspull.
Oct 31, 2019 11:55 AM

Sep 2014
Ohh talking about biggest asspulls in anime history I have to think about some classics.

My first choice would be Star Platinum in Stardust Crusaders, I know the anime isnt that old, but the manga makes it a classic. Both the "they are the same type of stand" and the very first "the evil spirit with a range of 2 meters brings me stuff from outside the cell".

Going further back, Cell not dying from Gokus Kamehameha. The core was in his head, his entire upper body was obliterated.

Going into THE biggest asspull. Legend of Galactic Heroes. It has to be. Basically everything associated with the alliance side. From teleporting Rosenritters, to "better knowledge of this space route even though we had it for 100 years and they for 2 weeks",

PS: everybody talking about SAO season 1 while forgetting the admin was online and could do whatever he wants the entire time.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 31, 2019 12:04 PM

Jun 2012
All of Fairy Tail.

2 first big monster encounters: One gets some holes on it so it can't do shit and the other crumples to pieces because "it was sealed away in ice too long" with a shitton of build-up. Every other big antagonist encounter: Natsu gets some asspull power-up from somewhere and probably never uses it again.

If you want to see people die, but then immediately get revived or survive, that's the anime you're looking for. Erza getting hit by 200 deadly lightning bolts that were supposed to destroy a whole town. Who cares right? She's a badass so the stakes don't matter.

One of the cast members apparently died as a child, but not really. She was just isekai'd to another world. Fairy Tail is one of the only anime I have seen that has a negative body count! They bullshit people that died in the past back to life and they serve no purpose afterwards.

One of the main characters die? Just rewind time. The last season is especially dumb with the guild member deaths. There may have been 5 different fake out deaths in the span of 10 episodes, and most of them had very "emotional build-up". Didn't work on me, I knew they did not have the balls to kill anyone.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Oct 31, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2012
deg said:
whats the difference between plot twist and asspull? because some of this responses make me question this especially with Darling in the FranXX

You either like it or find it stupid. Even a hidden power can be a plot twist or asspull so I really think that's the only difference.
Oct 31, 2019 12:15 PM

Jun 2012
monkeyDberzerk said:
Tista said:

I've read the manga and, no Gon losing his nen usage doesn't justify the kind of power up he got in exchange. He became the second strongest character in the entire series and all it cost him was his nen usage. If it was a different power up, maybe something a whole lot weaker it'd be justified but only nen usage and no other repercussions for that kinda power? That's some Naruto level asspull.

That's not what happened. Gon would have died if he wasn't put under dire hospital conditions. He literally threw his life away by using his nen that way. The only reason he survived was because of Nanika's ability, and even then he had lost his nen powers. Attaining that kind of extreme power and then pretty much losing everything else but the spark of his life is enough justification in my eyes.

Nanika is the asspull part. Gon using his nen ability to the extreme in exchange for his body is not. If it was, you could say Kurapika's ability is an asspull too, but it has been established that with bigger risks, nen gives fundamentaly stronger output.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Oct 31, 2019 12:25 PM

Aug 2016
IDK about biggest in history.. but what Trunks did in Dragon Ball Super has to be up there.
Oct 31, 2019 12:56 PM

Dec 2016
Alluka in Hunter x Hunter 2011. It wasn't even a nen-based ability, it was just convenient magic.
Oct 31, 2019 2:13 PM

Jun 2015
can't remember the name at the moment.

going from memory
there was about 7 assassins all who were brought to a school to assassinate someone.

ass pull
Oct 31, 2019 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
lavah said:
Reminds me of sword art online, how asuna didn't die
Oct 31, 2019 5:26 PM
Jul 2017
Malevolent-Fae said:
monkeyDberzerk said:

That's not what happened. Gon would have died if he wasn't put under dire hospital conditions. He literally threw his life away by using his nen that way. The only reason he survived was because of Nanika's ability, and even then he had lost his nen powers. Attaining that kind of extreme power and then pretty much losing everything else but the spark of his life is enough justification in my eyes.

Nanika is the asspull part. Gon using his nen ability to the extreme in exchange for his body is not. If it was, you could say Kurapika's ability is an asspull too, but it has been established that with bigger risks, nen gives fundamentaly stronger output.

That's exactly what I was getting at (but I don't blame you cuz I didn't say a word about Nanika). The fact that Nanika cured Gon with only his nen usage being sacrificed is the asspull.
Berserk_monkEOct 31, 2019 5:30 PM
Oct 31, 2019 6:14 PM

Jan 2019
Any fight where it seems Natsu is losing, they whip out a new power up to make him op.
Oct 31, 2019 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
djshar said:
can't remember the name at the moment.

going from memory
there was about 7 assassins all who were brought to a school to assassinate someone.

ass pull

for those curious remembered the title it was
Akuma no Riddle
Oct 31, 2019 10:44 PM

Sep 2016
Darling in the FranXX, that's it. Just Darling in The FranXX as a whole. Praising the blatant thievery this show portrays is stomach-churning.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Oct 31, 2019 11:00 PM

Oct 2010
Near guessing that mikami is kira's associate was a ridiculous asspull.

Here's another: Tobi making a quantum computer out of 5 used laptops in Noein. The show stated that if you lose connection with l'acrima you will die, karasu and the other soldiers proceed to survive for ever. Haruka talking with on old man who knows everyting about space-time (almost god), no one knows who he is and why should there be a god in Noein when they stated that Dragon Torque is litterally the god of the show
CatalanoOct 31, 2019 11:15 PM
Oct 31, 2019 11:07 PM

Aug 2015
Ferien said:
Alluka in Hunter x Hunter 2011. It wasn't even a nen-based ability, it was just convenient magic.

That "magic" and the reason the Chimera Ants exists are explained later on in the manga, however Nanika is a complete asspull.

However, if you read the manga (again) you will see a bigger asspull that I put on my comment above. When it happened, I couldn't believe how Togashi used such a bullshit mechanic.
Nov 1, 2019 2:56 AM

May 2018
Catalano said:
Tobi making a quantum computer out of 5 used laptops in Noein.

I dropped Noein early on, so not sure what are you talking about but this sounds wrong only on a terminological level.
Maybe we are talking about some bad translation?
- Like you can only make/organize a "super computer" with a network of lesser machines not a "quantum computer".
- Actually "quantum computer" is a misleading term. A more accurate term would be "quantum calculator" and you need another computer to be able to use it.
- You can do quantum calculations like probabilities, entanglement ect. with regular computers (preferably "super computer") just they would be done way way slower that if had an "quantum computer" on the job (the more qubits it had, the better).
Nov 1, 2019 3:41 AM

Oct 2010
alshu said:
Catalano said:
Tobi making a quantum computer out of 5 used laptops in Noein.

I dropped Noein early on, so not sure what are you talking about but this sounds wrong only on a terminological level.
Maybe we are talking about some bad translation?
- Like you can only make/organize a "super computer" with a network of lesser machines not a "quantum computer".
- Actually "quantum computer" is a misleading term. A more accurate term would be "quantum calculator" and you need another computer to be able to use it.
- You can do quantum calculations like probabilities, entanglement ect. with regular computers (preferably "super computer") just they would be done way way slower that if had an "quantum computer" on the job (the more qubits it had, the better).

Fair, but there were strange lights flowing in mid air from them random laptops. The term quantum pc is kinda different in Noein. What I'm saying is: you can't make something so advanced using 5 junk.
Nov 1, 2019 4:34 AM

May 2018
Catalano said:

Fair, but there were strange lights flowing in mid air from them random laptops.

They overheated?

It was a weird show anyway, maybe a dramatic visual representation of the process?

Catalano said:
What I'm saying is: you can't make something so advanced using 5 junk.

Yeah but you can do some quantum maths...for months or even years...if you know how to program and organize this...with some time dedicated for the research, coding the algorithms, testing ect.
Nov 1, 2019 4:49 AM

Oct 2010
alshu said:
Catalano said:

Fair, but there were strange lights flowing in mid air from them random laptops.

They overheated?

It was a weird show anyway, maybe a visual representation about what they were calculating?

Catalano said:
What I'm saying is: you can't make something so advanced using 5 junk.

Yeah but you can do some quantum maths...for moths or even years...if know how to program and organize this...with some eventual time dedicated for researching the tools and the algorithms to do that, testing ect.

They were using that newly made device to colect some sort of energy, I agree that you can use it for calculation and stuff. Too bad you dropped it, I found Noein great.
Nov 1, 2019 5:30 AM

Feb 2015
Remember when Kirito all of sudden transformed into a giant monster in the Alfheim arc? What was up with that???
Nov 1, 2019 6:23 AM

Jul 2017
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
Deus Ex Machina? Sounds like Code Geass and TTGL! I still really like TTGL tho.

Also Hunter x Hunter

how was that an asspull though? it perfectly made sense in the story, and gon faced terrible consequences after that on his body and all.
Nov 1, 2019 9:51 AM

May 2018
Zehennagel said:
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
Deus Ex Machina? Sounds like Code Geass and TTGL! I still really like TTGL tho.

Also Hunter x Hunter

how was that an asspull though? it perfectly made sense in the story, and gon faced terrible consequences after that on his body and all.

Scroll up, it's been explained. He did, however Alluka's existence has wiped every negative effect besides the fact that he cannot use nen YET, if you remember Ging's words

edit: jesus fucking christ, stop @ me and read whats above
WrngHoleOniiChanNov 1, 2019 9:55 AM
reformed
Nov 1, 2019 9:57 AM

Feb 2015
Was thinking more about the ending of the second season of OreImo, because that shit just came out of nowhere.

And I've read from a lot of people about the ending of Kuma Miko on how it was fucking awful that even the author got pissed.
Nov 1, 2019 9:59 AM

Dec 2007
Superns18 said:
Basically, writers using Deus Ex Machinas and simply coming up with things out of thin airs for convenience instead of logical storytelling. For me war arc Shippuden.

Promare
Nov 1, 2019 11:16 AM

Nov 2008
BlakexEkalb said:
immortaluchiha said:

Guess you did not pay enough attention or you just have a really low IQ level.
Anyways here's the explanation "I firmly closed my eyes and allowed my tears to flow before asking:

"...What about those who died? Both of us are already dead, yet we continue to exist here. Doesn't that mean you can return the other four thousand dead to the original world as well?"

Kayaba's expression didn't change. He closed the window, put his hands into his pockets, and then said:

"Life can't be recovered so easily. Their consciousness will never return. The dead will disappear— this fact remains true in every world. I created this place only because I wanted to talk with you two— one last time."
I hope you at least know that there is a 10 seconds delay between dying in the game world and the nerve gear frying your brain.
Kayaba intentionally made it so that both of them dont die in real life as he wanted to talk with them and 10 seconds was nearly not enough for that.

No need to get mad, SAO fanboy. He never says “There is a 10s delay” in the anime, so it’s understandable that most people think it’s like that. Even then, it’s still pretty BS that he made it in the last minute just to talk to them.

I would assume that Asuna and Kirito won Kayaba's respect and that's why he wanted to talk to them.

Nov 1, 2019 11:24 AM

Mar 2018
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
Scroll up, it's been explained. He did, however Alluka's existence has wiped every negative effect besides the fact that he cannot use nen YET, if you remember Ging's words

edit: jesus fucking christ, stop @ me and read whats above
Jyoshiro said:
Asaeed said:
For Hunter x Hunter, the transformation wasn't the asspull, it's how he was healed afterwards
monkeyDberzerk said:

You're all wrong, remember the healing capabilities of Nen showcased in the Heavens Arena and Greed Island arcs? Objectively not an asspull, and the manga further explains what the deal is with Nanika.

edit: Lmao, how do I even forget Pitou and her insane healing ability
EsquirtitNov 1, 2019 11:30 AM
poop
Nov 1, 2019 11:26 AM
Feb 2017
Valyrian1124 said:
Code Geass episode 23

It doesn’t do it again because once you get a runaway Geass it doesn’t revert back.
Nov 1, 2019 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
anime itself was the biggest asspull that mankind has achieved by far. to this day it keeps decieving people into thinking its actually good.
Nov 1, 2019 11:39 AM

Jul 2017
The last few minutes of the Oreimo specials after season 2. That is all.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Nov 1, 2019 12:32 PM
Apr 2016
monkeyDberzerk said:
Orion_Gospel said:
Every One Piece arc, especially after the

I'd say Snakeman is pretty easy to explain, and is not an asspull. It's not necessarily Luffy's "strongest form," it's the fastest one, and since speed wasn't the most vital thing when fighting against his previous opponents...he didn't use it. That's quite the opposite from his fight against Katakuri however, the only way to fight the man was to top his observation haki by making him unable to avoid the attacks (and that actually didn't even work out, Katakuri was still able to top Luffy). People seem to forget that Oda has everything planned out already, dozens of things foreshadowed hundreds of chapters ago, yet when he actually decides to make a "surprise," people seem to be awfully Judgmental.
Nov 1, 2019 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
like 99% of all isekai manga and novels included
Nov 1, 2019 1:02 PM

Nov 2008
Boomer_Content said:
anime itself was the biggest asspull that mankind has achieved by far. to this day it keeps decieving people into thinking its actually good.

If you don't think any of it's good, why are you here?

Nov 1, 2019 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
Boomer_Content said:

If you don't think any of it's good, why are you here?

because manga exists and its why i'm here.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think we should have more realistic anime?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - Apr 14

48 by iunne »»
38 seconds ago

» Do you like when anime acknowledges the presence of the camera or screen?

WatchTillTandava - 31 minutes ago

6 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 5 hours ago

19 by Thanatos1 »»
4 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

57 by Leer »»
11 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

16 by ninjaberserker »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.