Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Nov 10] MAL Live Launched: Lantis Matsuri 2019 at Anime NYC Streams Nov 15

New
Oct 29, 2019 1:35 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

MyAnimeList and media information website Honey's Anime have announced a new streaming platform titled, MAL Live. This platform was created with the intent of bringing live performances and other anime-related live streams to international fans around the globe. The first event to be hosted on MAL Live will be Lantis Matsuri 2019, live from Anime NYC on November 15th.

Click here to go to MAL Live
Please note you will need to agree to the Terms and login to your MAL account to see the top page.

Lantis Matsuri 2019 Schedule:
Pre-Show Stream (Live; Free): November 10 - 10:00 PM EST | 7:00 PM PST | 4:00 AM (Nov 11) CEST | 2:00 PM (Nov 11) AEDT
Concert Stream (Live; Tickets Required): November 15 - 7:30 PM EST | 4:30 PM PST | 1:30 AM (Nov 16) CEST | 11:30 AM (Nov 16) AEDT
Special Program (Live; Free): November 16 - TBD
Concert Stream (Recorded; Tickets Required): November 17 - 2:00 PM EST | 11:00 AM PST | 8:00 PM CEST | 6:00 AM (Nov 18) AEDT

Tickets:
Regular Price: $17 USD
Early Bird (for Nov 15 only): $12 USD (until Nov 11 11:59 PM EST)

One ticket will permit access to a single stream (Nov 15 or 17, not both).
Please note tickets will not be available for these regions: Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea.

More Information:
https://honeysanime.com/campaign/mallive-lantismatsuri2019atanimenyc/

The MAL Live streaming platform will be supported on both mobile and desktop, including the video stream, a commenting system for viewers, and items that you can wave or toss during performances. To access both free and paid streams, you will need to log into the platform with your MyAnimeList account. Please note that since the MAL Live website has a different domain, you will be asked to re-authenticate and grant permissions to MAL Live; however, only your username will be used. The free streams will also be available on Lantis' YouTube Channel.

We hope that Lantis Matsuri 2019 is only the beginning of live concerts and anime-related events that will be available to our international community. If you can think of any events you'd hope to see in the future, please let us know!

Update November 10
The Pre-Show stream will be available for free later today!
KinetaNov 10, 2019 8:07 AM
Oct 29, 2019 2:29 AM

Sep 2012
Seems like a good move from MAL. Good luck.
Oct 29, 2019 2:46 AM
May 2018

It is such a shame that legendary Hironobu Kageyama didn't work on Dragon Ball Super.
Oct 29, 2019 5:09 AM

Oct 2010
Psajdak said:

It is such a shame that legendary Hironobu Kageyama didn't work on Dragon Ball Super.

Well, I believe it's a shame toriyama worked so little on it. Even if they say he's responsible with the overall story, I hardly believe it. I think he's in the project only with his name. Toei has a special bureau for dbs. Or I'm just rambling.
Oct 29, 2019 8:54 AM

Nov 2016
I would buy a Ticket just to see a live Performance by Gulty Kiss. They are my Favorite Aqours Sub-unit.

#YohaneGang rise Up
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2019 9:58 AM

Jan 2009
im skeptical if this will be profitable but good luck with monetizing like this MAL
Oct 29, 2019 11:44 AM

Nov 2018
I can't Japanese, are subs available?
Oct 29, 2019 3:16 PM

Nov 2013
So if I understand, $12-18 to watch a live stream on your PC with whatever crappy sound and picture you get?
And what if the internet connection goes out?
Sounds iffy.
Oct 29, 2019 5:48 PM

Jun 2016
Sounds like a good idea.
Oct 29, 2019 5:57 PM

Aug 2018
MAL: The weebs wouldn't leave their bedroom so we're bringing the concert to them

and items that you can wave or toss during performances.

This is how you know we live in the future
<Insert clever quote>
Oct 29, 2019 8:40 PM

May 2018
Where's the website link?
Oct 29, 2019 11:09 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I hope this works out well! Admittedly, I don't have much interest in the lineup, but I'm considering stopping by the free streams to at least show support! That is, unless I find my presence to be more of a hindrance.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 29, 2019 11:12 PM

Jul 2009
Waifwu said:

Click the 'Watch Virtual Concert' button at the top of this page. There should be some instruction to watch the livestream when you scroll down.
Oct 30, 2019 10:38 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
BenRyan said:
I can't Japanese, are subs available?
The free streams will have some kind of translation (either live interpreter or subs). It will not be required to know Japanese.

Skittles said:
Waifwu said:
Click the 'Watch Virtual Concert' button at the top of this page. There should be some instruction to watch the livestream when you scroll down.
You can also click the link in the announcement :'D I guess I didn't make it big enough...

KinetaOct 30, 2019 10:42 AM
Nov 2, 2019 6:57 AM
Sep 2017
I can't complete "view video on Facebook" step of the tickets giveaway. Video has been watched, but the continue button is still inactive.
Nov 3, 2019 3:03 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
mysterienspiel said:
I can't complete "view video on Facebook" step of the tickets giveaway. Video has been watched, but the continue button is still inactive.
Gleam.io runs this feature, not us, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Perhaps try it again after waiting a little while? Are you still having problems today?
Nov 7, 2019 9:20 AM

Aug 2018
I Love MAL
Nov 8, 2019 3:35 PM
Nov 2019
I love mal
Nov 10, 2019 6:31 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Update November 10
The Pre-Show stream will be available for free later today!
Nov 10, 2019 4:57 PM

Oct 2008
Free Show Yessssss
Nov 10, 2019 7:51 PM
May 2015
Will the concert stream have full video controls (and theater mode), because seeing a concert on a 640 x 360 screen is super bad. Hopefully the initial stream was just a video test on server load and whatnot.
Nov 11, 2019 3:55 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
TheLucky007 said:
Will the concert stream have full video controls (and theater mode), because seeing a concert on a 640 x 360 screen is super bad. Hopefully the initial stream was just a video test on server load and whatnot.
Thanks for asking this. Unfortunately, there will not be a theater mode option for this event. We're hoping for future events there will be, because we agree that the screen area is quite small.
Nov 12, 2019 8:14 AM
May 2015
Kineta said:
TheLucky007 said:
Thanks for asking this. Unfortunately, there will not be a theater mode option for this event. We're hoping for future events there will be, because we agree that the screen area is quite small.

Will we have full video controls instead? (Full screen, play, pause, volume controls, etc) Besides not having theater mode the other controls will be better than what the initial stream had to offer.

It’ll be pretty awkward to watch a live stream that small and on top of that when you paid 12 or 17 dollars and not get a awesome concert experience it’ll be a waste of money, hell twitch, youtube and other live streaming services offer better streaming experiences. Even free crunchyroll people have a better viewing experience.

-Posting on mobile is crap
TheLucky007Nov 12, 2019 4:58 PM
Nov 15, 2019 4:14 PM

Oct 2010
lol this player is really really bad. I honestly feel ripped off already. I expected at least a proper 720p stream

after show edit: Concert was AWESOME. Just needed to be much higher quality with a decent player. please fix it for next time and I will happily buy a ticket again!
KougeruNov 15, 2019 6:48 PM
Nov 15, 2019 4:21 PM
Jul 2011
360p quality really.. ?
Nov 15, 2019 4:56 PM

Dec 2018
Low Rez and absolutely the worst audio. You got a long way to go to provide a good stream. Very disappointed
Nov 15, 2019 5:22 PM

Nov 2019
hello

Nov 15, 2019 6:50 PM

Dec 2016
I loved the show but seriously guys, no fullscreen mode or really any other controls for the player? You can do better.
Nov 15, 2019 7:05 PM
Jun 2016
I have to agree with comments about the poor quality of the stream and service in general. I was really disappointed that the majority of the interface was devoted to chat and emoticons. The video window was really small and I am watching it on a 27" iMac screen. The actual video quality was low as well which was really noticeable when I zoomed in with the browser to get more video. The audio mixing was poor as well. I had no streaming problems but I also have a lot of bandwidth.

If MAL intends to do this again, and I hope that they do, I think they really need to improve the quality of the service the are providing. The chat was fine, the emoticons - meh. But what I really wanted was to see and hear the performers with high quality audio and video. That is what I paid for.

The performances were great, I really wish they would have all had more stage time. I must say thoght that I think it really was kind of lame to not have live bands, but that might be my bias as a hobbyist musician.

aguywithaname said:
I loved the show but seriously guys, no fullscreen mode or really any other controls for the player? You can do better.

500% agree!!

Kougeru said:
lol this player is really really bad. I honestly feel ripped off already. I expected at least a proper 720p stream

after show edit: Concert was AWESOME. Just needed to be much higher quality with a decent player. please fix it for next time and I will happily buy a ticket again!

My feeling exactly!!

Cheezenub12 said:
Low Rez and absolutely the worst audio. You got a long way to go to provide a good stream. Very disappointed

Maybe not the worst audio, and they did seem to improve it as the show went on. I feel bad for ZAQ, who was on first and great voice was poorly mixed with the canned music track. But I agree with you completely that MAL can do a lot better to provide a good stream.

Mod Edit: Merged quadruple post; please use the edit feature.
KinetaNov 17, 2019 3:38 AM
Nov 15, 2019 7:31 PM

Oct 2010
cpk said:
I must say thoght that I think it really was kind of lame to not have live bands, but that might be my bias as a hobbyist musician.

This was odd to me. I went to the first Lantis Matsuri that came to the US (Vegas, 2015) and like 80% of it had live bands playing. Even Hatsune Miku has live backing band! Today's was at a much bigger convention and nearly 5 years later, I expected it to have even more budget but it seems to have had even less. JAM Project didn't even play any instruments today! I guess it just isn't worth the expense to bring a backing band or their own instruments.
Nov 15, 2019 8:04 PM

Mar 2008
Yes this was very bare bones and definitely felt like a rip off. Who thought it was a good idea to NOT have a full screen button for a stream?
Nov 15, 2019 8:12 PM

Jun 2014
I really enjoyed the concert and i hope we will get more events like this in the future <3 Was definitely worth buying the ticket and i'll be looking forward to future events/concerts/livestreams. :3

Thanks MAL(and of course thanks to all the artists) <3

PS. Shoutout to those who translated in chat speaks from the artists between songs to those of us who didn't understand Japanese enough. :D

PPS. The last song sung by all the artists surprised me with the subtitles for it appearing on the video stream. :D

Edit: Right, as mentioned by many other people in the thread, the common video player controls(full screen, play/pause, and the volume slider) would be useful for many and definitely will improve the stream experience for viewers. Audio/video quality i can't comment much on due to lack of experience. The stream worked perfectly for me but i guess the audio mix wasn't the best in the beginning(a bit bass heavy?). I agree that the audio mix seemed to sound better later on. But yeah, on my (probably pretty easy to please) standards this was great but there's always room for improvements and learning. :D
JanmeebaNov 15, 2019 8:17 PM
I should probably make a forum signature someday...
Nov 15, 2019 8:15 PM
Jun 2016
Kougeru said:
cpk said:
I must say thoght that I think it really was kind of lame to not have live bands, but that might be my bias as a hobbyist musician.

This was odd to me. I went to the first Lantis Matsuri that came to the US (Vegas, 2015) and like 80% of it had live bands playing. Even Hatsune Miku has live backing band! Today's was at a much bigger convention and nearly 5 years later, I expected it to have even more budget but it seems to have had even less. JAM Project didn't even play any instruments today! I guess it just isn't worth the expense to bring a backing band or their own instruments.

Again, I might really be biased, but I really think that part of the appeal of a live show is live music. Vocals, to me, are just one of the instruments in music. If a song has good vocals and bad music I won't be buying it. If is has great music and okay vocals I just might buy it. So, for a live performance, I personally want to see all the musicians making the music, not just the singer(s). I was more disappointed with this than the lack of controls since I was able to control volume with my computer and zoom in to get most of my screen full of video.

I've never seen Hatsune Miku live but I've seen plenty of videos and yeah, a projected image of a vocaloid with a really good band to me is great show. I would like to see that live. But just see a projection perform - I wouldn't buy a ticket.

Janmeeba said:
PS. Shoutout to those who translated in chat speaks from the artists between songs to those of us who didn't understand Japanese enough.

I agree. That was really nice of them. I really appreciated it as well.

Mod Edit: Merged double post; please use the edit feature.
KinetaNov 17, 2019 3:37 AM
Nov 16, 2019 2:03 PM
Jun 2016
MarthKoopa said:
No full screen option and the overpowered bass making it physically uncomfortable to listen to even on Window's lowest volume and not hearing anything else over it was a pretty crappy experience

It seemed to me that they really did get the worst of the audio issues worked out after ZAQ's performance. It still wasn't great audio for sure, and GK's mics were mixed poorly for sure, but isn't "crappy" a bit harsh?
Nov 16, 2019 2:15 PM
Jun 2016
Just watched the interviews. 2-1/2" hours totals time but the interviews were all really pretty short, would rather have seen longer interviews that a bunch of repeated music video clips. It was mostly a music video clip show. Most of the songs/vids were clipped and they repeated a lot many of them. When you consider all the music and videos available from Lantis artists there is no reason to have repeated any videos and why clip them, why not show the entire song? Or, just do the interviews back to back and not waste so much time in between.

I know this is MAL's first time doing this but MAL please use some common sense; consider that if you were an anisong fan, especially of one or more of these artists, what would you want to see/hear?

MarthKoopa said:

There was barely an improvement after ZAQ.

Calling it "crappy" isn't harsh. I paid to listen to music, the song selection was great and I love Guilty Kiss... but if I can't even hear any of it, it's crap.

I certainly feel that MAL should have done better at delivering the content, and providing a better interface. If MAL doesn't promise an improvement I won't buy into it again but I don't think it was exactly "crappy" and I don't regret the $12. Obviously that is jut my opinion.

I am glad you are posting you opinion here though, I think everyone who watched should let MAL know what they think of it. Hopefully MAL will listen and respond.

Mod Edit: Merged double post; please use the edit feature.
KinetaNov 17, 2019 3:36 AM
Nov 17, 2019 3:46 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Three of our moderators were at the event live (in NYC) and concurred that the audio issues were a site problem, not a stream problem. The live audience heard the same audio problems that the live streamers did.

For the post-show talk, I'm not sure why the artists were spaced so far apart. Logically, no one would plan for it to be this way. Scheduling errors are the most likely culprit, in my opinion.

I'm confident we will have a post-review of the event and feedback will be taken into consideration for future events, so thank you for taking the time to comment here. On the above two points, I believe it's out of MAL's control, unfortunately.
Nov 17, 2019 7:51 AM

Oct 2010
Thanks for the response, Kineta!

I really appreciate that you gave us the opportunity ot enjoy this concert even though we couldn't physically go there.

I had assumed the bass/microphone issues were on the venue's end. I'll be sure to email them just in case no one at the venue complained, but I assume at least a few people did.

I hope we get opportunities like this in the future, but again I hope the player can be drastically improved. I like how YOSHIKI does his private streams on YouTube (but that requires having a monetized account with a lot of subscribers and such).

Lastly, I was really busy yesterday and missed the free stream. Is there a way to watch a recording of it since it was free anyway?

Nov 20, 2019 12:11 AM
Jun 2016
Kineta said:
Three of our moderators were at the event live (in NYC) and concurred that the audio issues were a site problem, not a stream problem. The live audience heard the same audio problems that the live streamers did.

For the post-show talk, I'm not sure why the artists were spaced so far apart. Logically, no one would plan for it to be this way. Scheduling errors are the most likely culprit, in my opinion.

I'm confident we will have a post-review of the event and feedback will be taken into consideration for future events, so thank you for taking the time to comment here. On the above two points, I believe it's out of MAL's control, unfortunately.

Thank you, Kineta, for the response!

I apologize for blaming MAL for the audio quality and interview scheduling.

I agree with Kougera and would very much like to see the player (web interface) improved. And the video stream quality. That much should be in MAL's direct control.

It is a shame their (venue's? organizer's?) sound engineer(s) didn't get the audio fixed faster. It visually looked pretty low budget so maybe they didn't hire someone with adequate skills or take the time to do a thorough pre-show sound check. Who knows.

However, even if MAL doesn't have direct control over the audio and the interviews certainly MAL paid some money to someone for the right to stream it. Money can talk. Maybe MAL can at least politely pass on suggestions for improvement to those who do have direct control. I feel sorry for all those who paid a lot to go to and stay in NYC and of course for tickets to the show and everyone like me show only paid to stream it.

I've been to a lot of live concerts/shows as a spectator and some even as guitar tech & roadie and knowing now that it was site issue irks me even more. Do the people in charge of this not care about the quality they are serving and how it could effect perceptions of the artists for people who maybe don't know that it isn't the artist that sucks but someone in charge mixing canned music and live mics for the singers? What the *!

Anyway, I do appreciate MAL doing this and I do hope they continue to do it in the future (with improvements). Anisong doesn't come to my city, or state for that matter and round ticket from here to NYC is over a grand. Then staying in NYC, one of the most cities in the States. Not happening. So the opportunity to stream events like this really positive, I just think it should be done a lot better. Roughly 50% of the interface was devoted to emoticons. I could enlarge the chat and have that take 50% instead. But I could care less about that. I was fun enough to chat pre-show and kill time in between interviews but what I really want, as it seemed did virtually everyone who commented in the chat, full-screen viewing of the show. Now what would be really cool, is if MAL started streaming shows direct from Japan so we get to see full shows, with bands. I would pay for it frequently as long as it didn't coincide with when I have to work, and of course you all improve the player, hint, hint, excessive hint. (If the horse wasn't already dead, it must be by now).
Nov 20, 2019 8:35 AM

Oct 2015
Love ZAQ music. The openning for Trinity Seven in particular. Even though the event has passed, love it.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

422 by Hayukoo »»
10 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 8:10 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

204 by Dekom »»
Yesterday, 10:52 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.