Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 25, 2019 12:38 PM

Feb 2018
The truth of the village has been told. Hope we gonna see the forgotten couple in next episode.

Oct 25, 2019 12:43 PM

Jun 2011
A very good episode character-wise and emotion-wise but I just can't get my finger around some aspects of the backstory that simply don't make much sense:

1. The astronauts have intended to land somewhere near South America and ended up missing their target and landed somewhere near an island in the Pacific.. Okay, but why instead of trying their hardest to investigate the situation and find the nearest civilized settlement (town, village) they have simply settled in the same spot and started creating families without finding a place with decent supplies and medicine first? I know it's very difficult to navigate and risky to travel but they would've realized that they would need tools of civilization and especially medicine to survive longer but they obviously didn't even try..

2. The reproduction of the next generations within such a small circle of genes in a completely uncivilized world without any major health issues is also very questionable. I guess the rest of them got extremely lucky to live long enough to have more kids and pass on the knowledge to them before catching infections or whatnot?

3. The third and the biggest question is how did their ancestors manage to reach Japan at some point. This one is beyond strange. It would even make more sense if the first generation, i.e. the astronauts would have managed that at some point within their lives as they had more knowledge and technology at their disposal (which they never bothered to reach or use) for that??

Overall, I really do like this show and don't mean to complain or anything but just can't help thinking about all of this. What do you guys think about these questions? Would there be more explanations later on in the story on how the current state of the village came to be?
Oct 25, 2019 12:55 PM
Oct 2019
What did the astronauts die from? Was it just a typical sickness and due to lack of medical drugs, they couldn’t get better?
Oct 25, 2019 1:04 PM

Mar 2019
I thought the astronauts would raid cryobanks for genetic material and find some more people hidden somewhere, but they really just created 3700 years worth of humans with just 2 couples. Unless something else happens this is quite dumb. And Senku's dad isn't really his dad even though they looks so much alike because... reasons.
Oct 25, 2019 1:07 PM

Oct 2008
Murthag04 said:
akihikosama said:
So let me get this straight, in 3700 years they only have a village of 40 adults and stone age technology? I'm really hoping there is more to it than just that.

I find it very hard to believe that the astronauts didn't leave any knowledge behind and didn't set any goals for the following generations to recover existing knowledge --textbooks etc. It's not like the whole civilization framework fell apart at the time of petrification, everything was left functional for many years to come.

Well, they were actually abandoned on an island for a long time with not much technology.. and who knows what happened to those two that took the boat? Mabye they survived, hm?

Even if they were abandoned on an Island, it shouldn't have taken them a life time to recover. They should have had a general idea on which island they lived and in what direction they needed to go. Abandoned on an island doesn't mean completely lost. Thinking rationally it would make much more sense to move to a civilized area before settling in.

yuukigami said:
A very good episode character-wise and emotion-wise but I just can't get my finger around some aspects of the backstory that simply don't make much sense:

1. The astronauts have intended to land somewhere near South America and ended up missing their target and landed somewhere near an island in the Pacific.. Okay, but why instead of trying their hardest to investigate the situation and find the nearest civilized settlement (town, village) they have simply settled in the same spot and started creating families without finding a place with decent supplies and medicine first? I know it's very difficult to navigate and risky to travel but they would've realized that they would need tools of civilization and especially medicine to survive longer but they obviously didn't even try..

2. The reproduction of the next generations within such a small circle of genes in a completely uncivilized world without any major health issues is also very questionable. I guess the rest of them got extremely lucky to live long enough to have more kids and pass on the knowledge to them before catching infections or whatnot?

3. The third and the biggest question is how did their ancestors manage to reach Japan at some point. This one is beyond strange. It would even make more sense if the first generation, i.e. the astronauts would have managed that at some point within their lives as they had more knowledge and technology at their disposal (which they never bothered to reach or use) for that??

Overall, I really do like this show and don't mean to complain or anything but just can't help thinking about all of this. What do you guys think about these questions? Would there be more explanations later on in the story on how the current state of the village came to be?

Regarding your #3, he mentioned that they should aim for Japan. Even if they missed their target by "a great distance" they wouldn't be in the middle of Pacific. Going by the fact they tried to use a row boat to get to the "main islands", we can assume they landed on one of the islands near Japan rowboat distance away, otherwise it would be completely suicide.
What doesn't make sense is that they settled on that same island and somehow ended up being on the main islands after, confirmed by the graves still being close by.
Oct 25, 2019 1:08 PM

Dec 2014
wow this episode had so many feels....the father and his ambitions passed down thousand of years.... just wow
Oct 25, 2019 1:17 PM

Apr 2016
Probably this is the best episode of the series until now. It was good, nothing very special to me, but I think it’s better than any other previous episode. It seems Tsukasa is planning to invade them, that sems interesting.
Oct 25, 2019 1:29 PM

Feb 2019
Perfect example of a manga and anime experience being completely different, in a positive way. Reading this chapter I had no emotional reaction, watching the episode, I’m in tears. Loved this. Having lost my dad at 15 I always get emotional when it’s something about a parents love.
Oct 25, 2019 1:31 PM
Apr 2016
i was so interested in this sidestory i hope one day they make another anime about senku s dad on the island
Oct 25, 2019 1:35 PM

Mar 2019
Byakuya dad of the year?!
Oct 25, 2019 1:49 PM

Oct 2008
Murthag04 said:
akihikosama said:

Even if they were abandoned on an Island, it shouldn't have taken them a life time to recover. They should have had a general idea on which island they lived and in what direction they needed to go. Abandoned on an island doesn't mean completely lost. Thinking rationally it would make much more sense to move to a civilized area before settling in.

Regarding your #3, he mentioned that they should aim for Japan. Even if they missed their target by "a great distance" they wouldn't be in the middle of Pacific. Going by the fact they tried to use a row boat to get to the "main islands", we can assume they landed on one of the islands near Japan rowboat distance away, otherwise it would be completely suicide.
What doesn't make sense is that they settled on that same island and somehow ended up being on the main islands after, confirmed by the graves still being close by.

How do you know that it's only one village? It's just big brain time

It was explained in the last few episodes. There might be other villages formed from the exiled or those that left, but this one is THE village, it has the ancestral graves. This specific village is supposed to be THE village that inherited all of the knowledge and traditions. It doesn't make sense that it is still in stone age after 3700 years.
Oct 25, 2019 1:51 PM

Feb 2018
Pretty heavy episode. I love the whole "Senku's dad passing the metaphorical torch to his son" aspect. You gotta finish what your dad started, Senku!

But also, on a lighter side, I wonder what Kohaku was thinking here lol:

*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Oct 25, 2019 1:52 PM
Jan 2016
The feels were expected, it was really sad, but i found it amusing, that backstory about what happened after the petrification, and what Byakuya managed to pass that tale through generation hoping for Senku to hear that!

Byakuya is trully and awesome dad, damn!

Seems next episode Tsukasa Empire will attack, looking forward to see what will happen!
Oct 25, 2019 2:15 PM

May 2018
Byakuya is best dad of the season
Oct 25, 2019 2:29 PM
Jun 2016
SpaceCowboyFin said:
It was a good episode but I can't help but laugh at the idea of 3700 years of inbreeding in a tiny gene pool.

I'm bothered by a simular thing which is, after 3700 years, there is only this small tribe here? They might bump into more people as the story progressesw, but they don't even seem to know about nearby tribes and such. Wouldn't just through natural population humans have spread out from this tribe?

Also inbreeding aside assuming they were all geneticly clean so most of the issues of inbreeding don't appear, there is still the question of them all having different hair colours. Most of those would have been weeded out just by genetic drift and such.
Oct 25, 2019 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
Byakuya ended up marrying Lillian the ancestor of Ruri and Kohaku

so Senku gonna marry Kohaku in the end too? foreshadowing? lol

Senku and Byakuya are not blood related too
Oct 25, 2019 2:57 PM

Nov 2017
Magnificent episode!

It's sad where Senku discovers Byakuya's tombs and founders of the village.
ElyshionOct 25, 2019 3:11 PM
Oct 25, 2019 3:09 PM

Feb 2014
I hope it's not too soon to say this, but can we give the best father of this current anime season to Byakuya? =)

Anyway, the whole episode itself was powerful and, for me at least, was emotional and tear jerking as well. Just seeing how Byakuya and the others made an ambitious return to earth and were the only humans left that wasn't petrified must've been hard to accept.

Despite all that, they did their best to live on, get married and have as many kids as possible. It was pretty sad to see the likes to Connie and the others succumb to pneumonia, though. =(

Byakuya's hundred tales was the most emotional moment for me in this episode and it was a tale that was passed down 3,700 later to Senku. It was also enough to make Senku shed some tears, too. Powerful stuff indeed.

One amusing moment of the episode was from Kohaku, whose reaction when asking if everyone in the village was related to Senku by blood was cute. =3

Anyway, Tsukasa's army is going to make a return by the sounds of it, so maybe we'll get to see Taiju and Yuzuriha again as well. Now that's something to look forward too! =D
Oct 25, 2019 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
Shamil x Connie was a lovely ship. Too bad it lasted just for an episode. ;-;

I missed Tsukasa. I can't wait to see see him again soon.
Oct 25, 2019 3:28 PM

Jul 2013
I'm always a sucker for the passing of torch story, and this one is so inspirational.

I do find it hard to believe though, that the stories were passed down without any kind of alteration for over 3,000 years.
Oct 25, 2019 3:31 PM

Jun 2012
This episode was so good. Very emotional. And I really like the storytelling of this show.
Oct 25, 2019 4:09 PM
Sep 2015
Why in 3 years or more they haven't built a boat to go to the mainland (looking for medicines, using advanced tools to study the phenomenon of petrification, etc)?
Why hasn't that village expanded in 3700 years? they have always remained in the same place, it's really weird and don't make any sense

Oct 25, 2019 4:34 PM

Mar 2014
Now we finally see why they couldn't teach future generations anything more than a bunch of stories. That damn pneumonia killed the adults before the kids could grow up to understand them

I knew it was coming but I still couldn't stop from crying. This story may be one of inspiration in the resilience of humanity, but it all started with a huge tragedy.

Also I still can't believe Senku and his dad aren't blood related. They look so alike...
Oct 25, 2019 4:38 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode.

Very compelling, the emotion hit hard. I teared up when Senkuu cried at the end. :(
The flashback was executed so well and to see Byakuya's feelings and gift reach his son almost 4 millennia later was absolutely incredible. Byakuya was an awesome character, though I'm curious who/where Senkuu's real parents are if Byakuya wasn't related him to directly.

Curious with what happened with the two who left to bring back the antibiotics.

Looking forward to what's next and how this whole Tsukasa situation is gonna go down.
Oct 25, 2019 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
Play2X said:
The story continues to be predictable as a Michel Bay Movie, and roughly as interesting. Quite honestly, the Tsukasa Empire part can go fuck itself for all I care. The only things that keep me somewhat interested in continuing this piece of shit are Kohaku and the still open mystery of what caused the petrification (so that I can that into pieces as well).

Is awesome anime what's your problem?
Oct 25, 2019 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
I don't understand why Byakuya is Senku's adoptive father he had similar appearance to him but whatever it was a great emotional episode.
Oct 25, 2019 5:04 PM

Apr 2013
prodmols said:
yellowheartren said:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN HIS DAD ISN'T HIS DAD!? Sorry. But. What did I miss and where?

Also: I wasn't prepared for this wtf. Nobody said there'd be a downpour of tears like this. But. Top notch VA there for Senkuu. Absolutely loved what he did in this episode, all the subtle details.

exactly i dont remember it either they look so similar lmao
feels indeed

they are not related by blood.
Oct 25, 2019 5:11 PM

Aug 2018
"Sweet home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you"

Did we really watched all the same episode? I can understand it's was indeed a but touching for the emotional side, but after that... I really don't like the whole incest thing for those thousand of years. I really questioning the author for making that decision. It really is not necessary.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Oct 25, 2019 5:19 PM

Mar 2010
I cried so much
Even in Violet Evergarden I didn't cry like this, didn't expect myself to cry in a series like Dr. Stone
I guess I wasn't ready to see Senkuu shed a tear... but the backstory was heartbreaking as well.
Oct 25, 2019 5:52 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, what a sad episode, never thought that i would end up in this episode will all of the connections that they made through here. Like, Senku's father and all of the astronauts made that village and it was basically waiting for "Senku" xD

I'm glad that flashback is gone, it was way too sad. Now we're back to Senku!
Tsukasa is going to war?!! Can't wait!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 25, 2019 6:32 PM

Mar 2010
I still think this makes no sense but i guess that's science fiction for you. The series is good on other aspects though so i guess that makes the plot holes bearable.

For this to make sense there must have been a lot of terrible events that prevented the new civilization from developing time and time again. I mean 3700 years is a LOT of generations assuming each generation is 20 years apart which i think is fair that means we should have had 185 generations. If you teach your kids that survival of the species takes precedence, the new generations should have had at least 4 children per couple (or per women if they did not keep monogamy as a policy). At such a rate there should definitely be very large groups.

Also on the topic of technology, It's hard to believe Senku's dad couldn't leave more detailed information beyond the 500 tales. Sure that work for children but I bet he has some info he could put in text. And on that topic. he should have definitely made paper and make the kids rewrite the stories every generation. As of now i don't even know if the civilization has written records it seems the stories were passed oraly. Making paper is not hard and worse case scenario write it in rocks.

Maybe there will be more revealed in the future but right now it's surely pretty unrealistic.
Oct 25, 2019 6:39 PM

Jan 2018
It was a really emotional episode. That gift that Byakuya gave to Senku but 3,700 years later.

Oct 25, 2019 6:46 PM

Oct 2017
Very emotional episode T^T

It made me shed tears ;-;

Btw anyone know the name of the OST playing when Shamil dies?

It would be much appreciated if anyone knows the name :D
Oct 25, 2019 6:48 PM

Mar 2016
Man, I just need a bowl of ramen to pay my respects to Senku's dad.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 25, 2019 6:49 PM

May 2018
Byakuya, you are a great guy. It was nice to see the past of Ishigami Village, and how the 6 people created the whole village. It was rare to see Senku cry, this is indeed an emotional episode, love it. Hyped for the war.

Oct 25, 2019 6:52 PM

Jul 2012
I mean, I liked the episode, it was very emtional but...

akihikosama said:
So let me get this straight, in 3700 years they only have a village of 40 adults and stone age technology? I'm really hoping there is more to it than just that.

I find it very hard to believe that the astronauts didn't leave any knowledge behind and didn't set any goals for the following generations to recover existing knowledge --textbooks etc. It's not like the whole civilization framework fell apart at the time of petrification, everything was left functional for many years to come.

yuukigami said:

THIS. This bugs me a lot. I don't understand the astronauts' way of thinking.
And... I mean Senku did more in a couple of months than the whole civilization did en 3700 years??
I hope we get further explanation because as of now it doesn't make any sense
Oct 25, 2019 7:04 PM

Nov 2013
Good episode, probably my favourite so far. I'm surprised Senkuu isn't a blood relative, that I didn't expect.

As far as the episode goes, it's not without problems, but I like how they addressed the vulnerability of the humans after the collapse. The death of Connie and Shamil from pneumonia was something that gave real weight to the story and some added realism. Also, the fact that Yakov and Dalia weren't able to come back makes sense given their location, which I liked.

To be honest, with the lack of any form of real medicine on that island, and the complications with childbirth(ie. no anesthesia for instance), it was a surprise that they lasted that long, especially the children. I'm also a bit surprised it took them until the children were born to think about the necessity of medicine, but I digress.

I think they did a better job of handling this episode than the one where they saved Ruri from what might have been a decade long pneumonia. It felt more real.

Good stuff I hope they continue along this route of storytelling, pseudo science, but with the realism to back it up.
Oct 25, 2019 7:05 PM

Apr 2018
Damnn, what Byakuya did for Senku is so interesting and amazing. Pretty sad too tho. I wonder what happened to Taiju as of now
Oct 25, 2019 7:18 PM
Mar 2010
HikariShoumeiron said:
I mean, I liked the episode, it was very emtional but...

akihikosama said:

yuukigami said:

THIS. This bugs me a lot. I don't understand the astronauts' way of thinking.
And... I mean Senku did more in a couple of months than the whole civilization did en 3700 years??
I hope we get further explanation because as of now it doesn't make any sense

The Hundredth Story is actually a simplified version of the real story of the 6, because they're not going to include every event that happened to the six people, just the main gist after a certain part. There's a manga now called Dr Stone Reboot: Byakuya which theoretically would fill in the story from Byakuya's point of view and answer questions, and show the other challenges the 6 will experience.
Oct 25, 2019 8:05 PM

Nov 2015
Sooo did Byakuya marry that girl and get some children from her or not ?
Oct 25, 2019 8:06 PM
Jun 2017
i love this episode as it highlights the 1st civilization post petrification, on how Byakuya and the others live their life there, raise some kids, and form the 1st civilizations... (its just sad that Pneumonia killed them)...

i love how how that story has been passed from generations to generations up until Senku arrives...
Oct 25, 2019 8:16 PM

Jan 2009
Ahri-is-cute said:
Sooo did Byakuya marry that girl and get some children from her or not ?

obviously since Lillian genes has been pass on to her descendants Ruri and Kohaku
Oct 25, 2019 8:20 PM

Oct 2015
When they implied Byakuya was not Senku's father, I think it was done to set Kohaku with him. They didn't want viewers to be disgusted by the notion that she could be her relative.

First time seeing Senku cry, and I must say it shows the compassionate side of him.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 25, 2019 8:23 PM
Oct 2019
For anyone who questions about Astronauts being unable to make a huge a civilization:

1) Most of them unfortunately died before they could pass the knowledge of their expertise.
2) Even if #1 is solved, they have no way to make materials of such expertise from scratch especially on what they are currently lived. For instance, the Doctors could not make the Sulfa drug without the materials needed that Senku have. As such, this lead the Doctors to disappear without returning.
3) Ishigami Village could not go beyond 50 of population due to major reason, which is actually a huge spoiler for would-be Season 2 anime.

Dominator-IVOct 25, 2019 8:28 PM
Oct 25, 2019 8:26 PM

Oct 2019
RunSpinAwaker said:
I'm 10 billion percent crying after watching this episode. I know I read the chapters adapted from it before this episode's airing, but damn, the final scenes with Byakuya and his final message to his son hit me so hard right now.

It's really a heartbreaking conclusion to the astronauts' flashback mini-arc.

So true :(, can't help myself when i see senku crying
Oct 25, 2019 8:36 PM

Mar 2012
Dominator-IV said:
For anyone who questions about Astronauts being unable to make a huge a civilization:

1) Most of them unfortunately died before they could pass the knowledge of their expertise.
2) Even if #1 is solved, they have no way to make materials of such expertise from scratch especially on what they are currently lived. For instance, the Doctors could not make the Sulfa drug without the materials needed that Senku have. As such, this lead the Doctors to disappear without returning.
3) Ishigami Village could not go beyond 50 of population due to major reason, which is actually a huge spoiler for would-be Season 2 anime.
Even with the spoiler, that's not a very good explanation. In fact it just makes it more laughable that they didn't all die out long ago with no genetic diversity due to the small gene pool with ongoing illness AND that spoiler on top of it all.

This series has been a breath of fresh air for me but eventually we were going to get to a place where science would be completely ignored for the sake of plot and storytelling.
Oct 25, 2019 8:39 PM

Jun 2019
Finally!
The battle of Science Kingdom and Tsukasa's kingdom will begin!
7 episodes later will be more fun to me.
Oct 25, 2019 8:43 PM

Jun 2019
akihikosama said:

The answer is Pneumonia.
Oct 25, 2019 8:44 PM
Feb 2016
Goddamn that was sad. Sad to see his father go like that, along with Lillian too. Sucks that she died first before him, but in a stone world without medicine life is incredibly difficult now.

And Kohaku getting worried that they were all related to Senku, only to find out he and his father aren't blood related. And we all know why she was concerned lol, she's warmin up to him.

Oct 25, 2019 8:55 PM

Jun 2019
prodmols said:
this episode got me fucked up man

I feel like Senku and his dad not being blood-related is a little weird, they look the same. Maybe it's so if Ruri and he get together it isn't prehistoric incest.

very nice episode. got me emotional which is really rare for shows

Both in manga and anime, senku said like this. I just found it confusing me.
But let consider that Byakuya is her uncle.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

150 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 7, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2019

196 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 6, 6:28 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

486 by Luban1 »»
Mar 18, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Syureria - Dec 13, 2019

335 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

161 by Matchappie »»
Mar 5, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.