Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 29, 2019 11:42 PM
May 2018
mafuyuiscutee said:

i dont ever make accounts or comment in discussions online but i do like to read them a lot… but i had to make an account now because this topic is something that is close to my heart because i know some people who get bullied. zebra does come across as a bit aggressive and agitated but he makes a good point. you should never assume a bully victim has a mental problem just because he stood his ground. that is really cruel and insensitive and also probably just wrong…and i think in this case our bully victim just needs hugs and a safe place, not mean labels like sociopath… also you should look up that word because it means a person who has some very bad disorders. a lot of really bad people like serial killers are sociopaths… now imagine being a bully victim and then getting told that you are like those kinds of people and think of how bad that would make you feel on top of how bad you already do feel. even though the person who is most likely a sociopath is the bully! i think you dont understand what that word means no offence…just look it up

I think I now understand why Zebraduck may be angry (it doesn´t justify them stalking me via private messages though), and I think it is a misunderstanding, since I have already cleared many times that I do not, in any way possible, believe that bullying victims have mental problems. I am just analyzing this particular case of Itsuki, and my conclusion is not even based on the bullying scene alone, because he has shown some defined behavior from the start.
I also do know what sociopathy is (I have studied the topic), it is not an adjective I´m throwing "just because he is bad" (which I do not believe) and while it may seems like a mean word and its usually related to bad people, it is an actual condition some humans go through and they should be helped, just in the way this anime shows (Like the fact that he has caring friends who understand him, but call out his bad behavior). And it is not related to bullying, or being bullied at all.
This analysis, is completely exclusive to fiction. I would have to be out of my mind to even imply that bullying is the bullied´s fault. Or that I would go to a bullied person and tell them they have problems. As you said, they need comprension, a safe space, and lots of caring.
FlyingcowsketchOct 29, 2019 11:51 PM
Oct 30, 2019 12:20 AM
Oct 2019
Flyingcowsketch said:
mafuyuiscutee said:

i dont ever make accounts or comment in discussions online but i do like to read them a lot… but i had to make an account now because this topic is something that is close to my heart because i know some people who get bullied. zebra does come across as a bit aggressive and agitated but he makes a good point. you should never assume a bully victim has a mental problem just because he stood his ground. that is really cruel and insensitive and also probably just wrong…and i think in this case our bully victim just needs hugs and a safe place, not mean labels like sociopath… also you should look up that word because it means a person who has some very bad disorders. a lot of really bad people like serial killers are sociopaths… now imagine being a bully victim and then getting told that you are like those kinds of people and think of how bad that would make you feel on top of how bad you already do feel. even though the person who is most likely a sociopath is the bully! i think you dont understand what that word means no offence…just look it up

I think I now understand why Zebraduck may be angry (it doesn´t justify them stalking me via private messages though), and I think it is a misunderstanding, since I have already cleared many times that I do not, in any way possible, believe that bullying victims have mental problems. I am just analyzing this particular case of Itsuki, and my conclusion is not even based on the bullying scene alone, because he has shown some defined behavior from the start.
I also do know what sociopathy is (I have studied the topic), it is not an adjective I´m throwing "just because he is bad" (which I do not believe) and while it may seems like a mean word and its usually related to bad people, it is an actual condition some humans go through and they should be helped, just in the way this anime shows (Like the fact that he has caring friends who understand him, but call out his bad behavior). And it is not related to bullying, or being bullied at all.
This analysis, is completely exclusive to fiction. I would have to be out of my mind to even imply that bullying is the bullied´s fault. Or that I would go to a bullied person and tell them they have problems. As you said, they need comprension, a safe space, and lots of caring.

ok but i honestly think in this particular case itsuki is just insecure or sensitive and has low self esteem because of his bad history with his mom and also with bullies.. i cant really believe you have studied that word beyond some google searches if you think his actions have shown that he lacks empathy like a murderer does...i dont think his behavior is bad either in at least how he hit his bully because in the real world at school you have to fight bullies in order to get them to stop most of the time. teachers and other school workers are really bad at making bullies stop and when you tell them about it the bullying usually just gets worse and more hidden and hard to prove. also him aiming the ball at maki just shows insecurity and jealousy..and i think those are common traits among middle schoolers and it doesnt take a sociopath to have them. at least i see it a lot. i fully disagree with your analysis but it is early in the season. but i would be shocked if this anime reveals a sociopath to be one of the characters because that is a really dark and horrible thing to be and i dont think this anime is about that particular twisted topic... more about common troubles we all face at home and school as well as some trauma that we dont see happen everyday but definitely does happen like parents hitting kids or people being homophobic. zebra shouldnt be messaging you and hopefully he stops or maybe you should just block him but i think you just made him really upset because he said he was bullied a lot. and i think what we saw happen with itsuki is very common at schools. so you saying his case is possibly because of him being a sociopath makes it seem like all the other cases similar to it are as well. and everyday there are a lot. so maybe that is why he thinks you mean that lots of bully victims have serious mental problems. and i can see how that looks very mean. hopefully it is just an misunderstanding though..
Oct 30, 2019 12:54 AM
May 2018
mafuyuiscutee said:

ok but i honestly think in this particular case itsuki is just insecure or sensitive and has low self esteem because of his bad history with his mom and also with bullies..

And I respect that. it is just my appreciation. Other user also said it doesn´t seems to be the case and I am willing to correct myself. Furthemore, I really am starting to think I may have done a hasty judgement the more we discuss. That´s why I like these forums because I can put my opinions in perspective.

mafuyuiscutee said:
i cant really believe you have studied that word beyond some google searches if you think his actions have shown that he lacks empathy like a murderer does...

Well that´s something I have no way to prove, but I have studied personality and mental disorders.
It also is a spectrum, and not every sociopath is a murderer! Sometimes it justs stays as a mere personal trait that have to be worked on.

mafuyuiscutee said:

i dont think his behavior is bad either in at least how he hit his bully because in the real world at school you have to fight bullies in order to get them to stop most of the time. teachers and other school workers are really bad at making bullies stop and when you tell them about it the bullying usually just gets worse and more hidden and hard to prove. also him aiming the ball at maki just shows insecurity and jealousy..and i think those are common traits among middle schoolers and it doesnt take a sociopath to have them. at least i see it a lot. i fully disagree with your analysis but it is early in the season.

Oh, I also dont think his behavior is bad! I understand that the majority of schools and teachers do not know how to face these kind of problems, specially in japan, so it would be unfair to judge the way bullying victims confront their problems.
I respect that you disagree, after all, that´s what discussion forums are for!

mafuyuiscutee said:
zebra shouldnt be messaging you and hopefully he stops or maybe you should just block him but i think you just made him really upset because he said he was bullied a lot. and i think what we saw happen with itsuki is very common at schools. so you saying his case is possibly because of him being a sociopath makes it seem like all the other cases similar to it are as well. and everyday there are a lot. so maybe that is why he thinks you mean that lots of bully victims have serious mental problems. and i can see how that looks very mean. hopefully it is just an misunderstanding though..

Re-reading the whole discussion, I think it is because of how artificial my words felt for him/her, like I was "pretending being nice", but it was not my intention. I think there is a difference between "being kind" and "being respectful", and I was aiming for the latter.
Well, my comunication skills have always been terrible, so I accept is my fault.
Oct 30, 2019 12:52 PM

Aug 2013
Still loving this show. And the dark themes makes it really interesting. What Itsuki's mom did to him though... my heart hurts for him.
Oct 30, 2019 1:08 PM

Dec 2009
i came to watch the first episode just to pass some time, i can't believe how good this show so i watched till this episode. I'm impressed and i can't wait to see what happened.

i don't get Toma's mother problem!! so what if he wasn't like his big brother?! =="

i want a re-match with the girls team to show them Maki and Toma as pair, and everyone.

itsuki
FuMomo-kun said:

Throughout most of the episode, I was worried Maki's dad might appear in the wrong time. Him not appearing is only making it scarier!

that piece of shit will appear when he needs money, and Maki needs to tell his mother what happened, keeping quite will help no one.
Oct 30, 2019 1:34 PM

Dec 2009
janiwolf said:
That scene with Itsuki's mom was traumatizing. I loved this episode it was very emotional. This anime might be the AOTS of this seasons new anime not counting sequels & such for me. Before watching this anime. I thought it was just going to be another cliche sports shounen. I'm glad to have been wrong.

thought the same thing, i only saw this anime to understand tennis, so i thought i will watch some boys doing their best to win with the power of friendship crap. So glad i was wrong.
Oct 31, 2019 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
I think that it is a good anime so far. I began to understand the characters better. It was an interesting episode.
Nov 3, 2019 11:59 PM

Jul 2013
Hoshiai no Sora continues to be the dark horse of this season. I totally didn't expect it to be this good. The characters are phenomenal and very relatable. It's not your typical sports anime where they solve everything through the power of friendship. The characters are very human. They hold animosity when they feel like they're being looked down. They say insulting stuff. They can be real jerks but that doesn't mean they're evil people. They can still band together and act casually. That's some great characterization. They don't fall into a specific character archetype intended for them. It's just so grounded in reality. Maki, Toma and the others are very interesting characters. The animation and directing is great. Those silent pauses are very haunting. This anime terrifies me in a way because I know it's gonna be tragic af.
Nov 4, 2019 5:58 AM

Mar 2010
DuoraDoll said:
Ventus_S said:

As if Hero Aca is the first one to pull this out?

In fact Hero Aca make the whole situation much more simplistic , and follow every archetypes of shonen manga's tragic past sympathetic character scenario.

Hero Aca is the only other series I know of that featured a tragic backstory that includes a moment where a mother was going through mess that resulted in her pouring a hot liquid onto her son when they were younger which resulted in a permanent scar somewhere on their body... What other series did this? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm just curious as to whether or not this has been done before.

I'm also curious (if something like this has been done before Hero Aca). But seems like since you didn't get the answer so the commentator ate his own words.

Someone should add "pull a Todoroki" to a Urban Dictionary or something :D
Nov 4, 2019 11:00 PM

May 2018
Another great episode, and at this time I realized that I liked Katsuragi's character. Well, more scene for each character, and it looks like I would expecting it on the later episodes.

Nov 7, 2019 4:32 PM

Sep 2017
What happened to one of the kids was beyond messed up.

Nov 7, 2019 5:22 PM

Aug 2009
wow...so many things happening in this anime lol.
Nov 9, 2019 11:26 AM

Apr 2011
I'm loving this show so far! I like the mix of sports and drama.

5/5

Nov 14, 2019 3:05 PM
Jul 2013
DuoraDoll said:
So do we just call that "Pulling a Todoroki" now? Anyway, we got 3 families with problems, wonder how many more were gonna get before this is over.

It's called postpartum depression, and it's a real problem, although this case is extreme.
Nov 14, 2019 7:50 PM

Jul 2015
matheoo41 said:
DuoraDoll said:
So do we just call that "Pulling a Todoroki" now? Anyway, we got 3 families with problems, wonder how many more were gonna get before this is over.

It's called postpartum depression, and it's a real problem, although this case is extreme.

By "Pulling a Todoroki", I mean the specific act of a mother pouring a hot liquid on her young son that leaves a permanent scar. But thanks for the information, I didn't know postpartum depression was a thing.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 18, 2019 8:50 AM

Aug 2018
Good episode.....
Dec 4, 2019 1:30 PM

May 2016
Well... too much drama.

You know, scars doesn't grow so they shouldn't be so much of a problem now... Postpartum depression I guess.
Dec 15, 2019 5:02 PM
Jun 2012
Seriously this is worse than turkish dramas. If you want people to watch your anime dont just add bunch of pointless family drama show the result of hardwork since it's a sports anime keep it to basics.
Jan 4, 2020 8:09 AM
Jun 2017
yo this shit is lowkey dark as heck
Jan 4, 2020 9:34 PM

Jul 2017
Lmao the "Pulling a todoroki" comments

First thing that came to my mind was todoroki's mother.
Jan 14, 2020 9:34 AM

Aug 2017
Wow, Takenouchi and Ishigami are really useless while Itsuki piss me off when he tried to hit Maki. They just copy Todoroki past lol.

Honestly, there was a bit of everything in this episode.
NurguburuJan 14, 2020 9:42 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 20, 2020 9:41 PM

Jun 2014
What Itsuki's mother did to him as an infant was insanely disturbing. I did not expect to see something so shocking. I can fully understand why Itsuki nailed that guy with his racket.

Now, hopefully Maki's plan of changing team pairs will help things.

Mar 30, 2020 2:48 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting to see the club members getting worked up playing against the newbie Maki but have totally given up against playing the girls team

Damn funny to see Itsuki smash his head in, too bad for the racket though...

Jul 5, 2020 12:28 PM

Aug 2017
Lots of parent issues in this anime.

I think he did a good job with hitting him, considering his past I can understand it.
Aug 24, 2020 5:06 AM

Oct 2009
He hit that student until his head bleed but no suspension or punishment wao

The teacher being pretty chill with the incident too by saying that other student shouldn't tease other people's family issue. Where in the world can you find this kind of teacher
Aug 29, 2020 8:51 PM
Oct 2019
Shinjo's mom kind of sucks, huh?

I thought visor boy was being rude to his teammates to motivate them. But I'm not so sure.

WHACK! Right in the FACE! Douche deserved it.

And uh, everybody has crappy parents? Wow
Aug 4, 2021 1:34 PM

Jan 2021
They did a pretty good job in this episode.
Also Toma‘s mom gets me so heated. She deserves nothing.
Sep 10, 2022 1:03 PM
Jan 2022
Started the anime for the racket scene though I didn't expect it to be this soon into the story.
Seems like the anime will get really interesting. I like how they already hinted most of the problems most of them have.
Mar 5, 2023 9:08 PM
Mar 2023
HNBGYFTVDRCFTVGYBHUNIJMKOJ
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM

» Some scenes missing in Crunchyroll?

KYSmequick - Oct 15, 2023

3 by heelyfrog »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.