Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 21, 8:01 PM

Mine are:

Denzel Curry: I feel like Curry is the embodiment of almost everything I look for in a rapper: a good voice, interesting enough subject matters, and crazy technical skill (wordplay, rhyming, double entendres). Ta18oo is one of my favorite albums of all time, I think Imperial will follow.

Kendrick Lamar: the only reason I place Kendrick Lamar below Curry is because his voice can be absolutely obnoxious sometimes. However, lyrically, I think Lamar is one of the GOATS: sure, he doesn't quite have the technical skill of someone like Eminem, but he makes up for it with how sophisticated and interesting his subject matters always are: songs like A.D.H.D (even though I myself have ADD, I wasn't able to relate to this song, but still found it very interesting), No Makeup, The Art of Peer Pressure, it seems like Lamar always has something interesting to say. His lyrics aren't very complex, especially compared to a rapper like P.O.S that requires me to look up on Genius, but he's not as simple as 2pac. I haven't listened to any other rapper whose subject matters are as consistently interesting and sophisticated as Lamar's.
Good Kid Maad City is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I think Overly Dedicated and Section 80 might be up there too later on.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Oct 21, 8:17 PM

Some examples of my fav songs:

None of these new mumble rappers and none of the auto tune nonsense. These days I only listen to instrumentals and Lo-Fi since rap is dead. And even when it was good most of it was pretty toxic anyway. You would be a fool to do the stuff that rappers talk about in their songs. It was weaponised to keep the black community dumbed down and against itself. I only listen to rap while at the gym now tbh.

Anyway here are some of my old favs. I liked rappers with flow, who spoke on deep issues or who were generally funny.
Also I don't like every single track by these artists. Every album / mixed tape has a few tracks that I don't like for various reasons. But these guys are most consistent to me compared to others.

- 50 Cent
- Beanie Sigel
- Busta Rhymes
- Cam'ron
- Dizzie Rascal
- DMX
- Eminem
- Freeway
- French Montana
- Ghostface Killah
- J Cole
- Jadakiss
- Jay Electronica
- Jay Z
- Jean Grae
- Kanye West
- Lloyd Banks
- Ludacris
- Max B
- Nas
- Papoose
- Raekwon
- Styles P
- T.I.
- Talib Kweli
- Wiz Khalifa
- Young Jeezy
Modified by FlowersInTheRain, Nov 6, 12:14 AM

Oct 21, 8:42 PM
Nyantano

my fave modern rappers off the top of my head are tyler the creator, freddie gibbs, earl sweatshirt and danny brown, i also like denzel curry

reasons

tyler the creator: because i love his personality and the stories he tells in his music

Freddie Gibbs: i like his flow and madlib on the beats

danny brown: i really like how eccentric he his

earl sweatshirt: ehhhh cant really explain why i like him, i guess i like the beats he uses lol

denzel curry: i like his flow and his word play

(im not really good at explaining why i like my fave rappers lol)
Modified by -Yokai-, Oct 21, 9:04 PM
-Neferpitou-
"She... is someone precious... to a person I care about deeply. The King became who he is because of her... If she ceased to exist, he won't... be himself anymore. She means that much... All I want... is for her to live.”

Oct 21, 8:47 PM

-Yokai- said:
my fave modern rappers off the top of my head are tyler the creator, freddie gibbs, earl sweatshirt and danny brown

just to name some

Interesting. Why are they your favorite rappers?
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Oct 21, 8:55 PM
Bmob Yrrehc

In order:

1. Tyler The Creator: Because he does whatever the fuck he wants.
2. Kendrick Lamar: Good Kid, M.A.A.D City got me to care about rap again since I got tired of people constantly mentioning Lil Wayne.
3. Eminem: Though he peaked at The Eminem Show, I still like some of his newer stuff, save for Revival.
4. ...
5. ... Biggie, I guess? I mean, I kinda like him more than 2Pac.
6. ...
7. ...Nicki Minaj, I guess? Though, I feel as though her and Cardi B can exist in the same space. They both have bangers, so, I don't get why that beef ever had to be a thing.
8. ...
9. ...
10. Jay-Z.

Look, I'm mainly a technical death metal guy, and I can't even have a top ten for that, so...

...Rap enthusiasts, don't @ me.

Oct 22, 10:57 AM

lil nas x
drake
denzel curry

thats pretty much it

Oct 22, 10:58 AM

Joyner Lucas. A lot of his songs have power and meaning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9rRhUA2Js

Nipsey Hussle (R.I.P.) He was talented.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6fkLeRAHhc

Oct 22, 5:34 PM

Travis Scott and Big Sean for the most part, but some earlier Uzi still bumps. Been feeling Wiki recently too

Oct 23, 7:29 AM
The JoJo Pleb

Jonwayne, he raps about more personal shit which is refreshing. As most rappers talk about political and social issues which I'm not against, I think it's important. It's just nice to hear a rapper talk about his issues, insecurities and all that. Jonwayne touched me so deeply, his song That's OK still makes me tear up to this day because I never heard a song I so strongly relate to.

JPEGMAFIA, He raps about political and social issues as well, in a truly unique, hard, dark and gritty way. His production is wild combining weird, off the wall with popular aspects of modern rap music tropes and it's fucking great.

BROCKHAMPTON
Kendrick Lamar
Bones
GHOSTEMANE
A Tribe Called Quest
Jurassic 5

Just to name a few, I also quite like.

Oct 23, 8:09 AM

@Loknir

I don't think rappers who rap about their personnel problems are unique anymore: NF, Bmike, XXXTentacion, and this new trend of what people call, "emo rap".
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Oct 23, 8:11 AM
The JoJo Pleb

RealTheAbsurdist said:
@Loknir

I don't think rappers who rap about their personnel problems are unique anymore: NF, Bmike, XXXTentacion, and this new trend of what people call, "emo rap".

Except that Jonwayne isn't emo rap and he does rap about how he is improving himself. Maybe it's not 100% unique but it isn't all just sadness and depression. There is positive stuff mixed in there.
Modified by Loknir, Oct 23, 8:15 AM

Oct 23, 9:23 AM

In no order

Polo G
Travis Scott
Playboi Carti
Rocky
Lil Uzi
AMG Vic

Oct 23, 9:05 PM

Chief ''Big Gucci Sosa'' Keef, the greatest and most influential rapper of all time. The man who single-handedly changed the rap game forever at the tender age of 16. The man who originated everything we see in the culture today. The man who is the culture.

Round of applause for Sosa, the greatest to ever do it ๐Ÿ‘

Take me into your heart

Accept me as your savior

Nail me to the cross

And let me be reborn

Oct 23, 9:21 PM
UwU

NEFFEX has got to be my favorite. He has great lyrics in that it speaks a message also, School boy Q.

"It's okay to look back at the past
just don't stare."

Oct 23, 10:38 PM
It's kinda late now to respond probably ๐Ÿ˜…
But I feel like I should contribute too.

I really can't choose whom I'd put in my top ten so I'm just gonna list anyone who, if they were to put out a new project, I'd be interested in listening to.

- ASAP rocky
- Aesop rock
- Ab soul
- Amine
- Big krit
- Brockhampton
- Chance the rapper
- Childish gambino
- Danny brown
- Denzel curry
- Earl sweatshirt
- Eminem
- Flatbush zombies
- Freddie gibbs
- Injury reserve
- Jay z
- JID (oh I forgot about others from dreamville... Bas, Earthgang, Cozz etc)
- Joey badass
- Jpegmafia
- Ka
- Kanye west
- Kendrick lamar
- Lou the human
- Lupe fiasco
- MF DOOM
- Milo
- Mos def
- Nas
- Noname
- Open mike eagle
- Outkast (๐Ÿ˜ญ)
- Pusha t
- Rhapsody
- Rich brian
- Run the jewels
- Schoolboy Q
- Slowthai
- Talib Kweli
- Tyler the creator
- Vince staples
- Wu tang clan (solo or as a group)
and many more lol

I can't really choose. All of them (in my opinion) have put out fantastic projects. And I realise some of them started in the '90s.

Oct 25, 8:09 AM

My favorites are 50 Cent, Jay Park, JP The Way and Salu.

Oct 25, 10:44 AM

a list of modern rappers that i think are pretty cool would be:
kanye west
danny brown
denzel curry
jpegmafia
earl sweatshirt
tyler the creator
freddie gibbs
kendrick lamar
little simz

Oct 25, 3:52 PM

Kendrick Lamar
Tyler, the Creator
Kanye West
Danny Brown
Lil Wayne (I think Tha Carter V redeemed him a bit)
BROCKHAMPTON/ Kevin Abstract
Travis Scott
MF Doom (even tho he has been on the scene a minute)
NAS
Injury Reserve
Young Thug
"How odd I can have all this inside me and to you it’s just words.”
โ€• David Foster Wallace, The Pale King

Oct 31, 10:38 AM

Kendrick Lamar
Travis Scott
Denzel Curry
X
Post Malone (if you can call him a rapper...)
J. Cole.

Nov 1, 6:17 PM

There are no good modern rappers. The entire genre is complete trash and has been since 2000. Go listen to 80s/90s rap for quality.

Nov 1, 6:37 PM

Vazka said:
There are no good modern rappers. The entire genre is complete trash and has been since 2000. Go listen to 80s/90s rap for quality.

Most rap in the 90s was focused on gangster culture, and ghetto issues. Modern rap is more diverse with subject matters, due to the huge increase in introspective rap. A list of critically acclaimed rappers who've emerged between 2000 and the present:

Denzel Curry
Earl Sweatshirt
IDK
Isaiah Rashad
Jay Rock
JID
Joey Bada$$
Joyner Lucas
Kanye West
Kendrick Lamar
Lupe Fiasco
Tyler, The Creator

And these are rappers that are considered to be great by the consensus: imagine how many great rappers there are who aren't considered great by the consensus. In other words, imagine how many great rappers you'd find if you looked hard enough.
I mean, let's be honest here: the biggest rap names of the 90s...weren't exactly known for having substance (although that's not necessarily a bad thing; a lot of style can make up for a lack of substance)

Biggie: almost always rapped about killing people, as well as women.
Big L: almost always bragged.
Eminem: mostly rapped about killing people.
Jay Z: mainly rapped about money and women.
Nas: braggadocios and rapped about killing people (although he had some meaningful songs)
Rakim: bragging was 99% of his subject matter.

Again, I'm not trying to disrespect these artists: I'm just trying to say that if you look hard enough, you can see that rap in this age has evolved: it's now more than just bragging, killing people, money, and women.
There are albums today that tell far more complex stories, like Good Kid M.A.A.D City, which tells Kendrick's life in the ghetto, with various themes I don't want to spoil, Undun, which tells the story of a man who went from being poor, to being a gangster, except it also tells this story backwards. These are concept albums that I don't think could've existed in the 80s or 90s.

Sonically, hip hop has also evolved: there's, to my knowledge, far more emphasis on other hip hop genres + trap.
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Nov 1, 10:25 PM

@RealTheAbsurdist

I don't give a fuck about the subject matter in rap. All the rappers you've named (that I've listened to) have all bragged, talked about money and murder. Infact, the only slightly decent rappers you've named are Joey Badass and Earl Sweatshirt. From what I've heard of them, their music is heavily influenced by 90s rappers. Then again, they don't even come close lmao.

I'd rather listen to Eminem rapping about rape or Rakim bragging then listen to Kendrick Lamar rapping about his life in the ghetto. That topic has been overused by rappers far too much so it's just fucking boring to listen to. It was nice when 2pac did it, but now that so many rappers are copying his subject matter, it's just bad.

and I've listened to a lot of modern rappers, including some underground ones. It's just bad music. Older rappers are just better in every single way possible. Better lyrics, better low, better production, etc.

"you can see that rap in this age has evolved: it's now more than just bragging, killing people, money, and women."

Now that's just a complete fucking lie. I've heard those topics in hundreds upon hundreds of modern rap songs. Just because some shitty rapper like Hopsin or Kendrick made some "deep" songs, that doesn't mean rap has more diverse subject matters lmfao

Nov 1, 10:58 PM

Vazka said:
@RealTheAbsurdist

I don't give a fuck about the subject matter in rap.

Then...why do you seem to care about lyrics to begin with? I mean, if someone cares about lyrics, don't they care about the subject matter?

Vazka said:
Then again, they don't even come close lmao.

I keep hearing people saying that old school rappers are better than modern rappers, but they don't explain why: how is Biggie better than Kendrick Lamar? For example.

Vazka said:
That topic has been overused by rappers far too much so it's just fucking boring to listen to. It was nice when 2pac did it, but now that so many rappers are copying his subject matter, it's just bad.

Yet braggadocios rap, which has been going on just as long, if not longer, is not repetitive?
I'm pretty sure that rappers in the 80s were talking about life in the ghetto. All 2pac did was give a better view of life in the ghetto, but I think the only song that accomplished that was "Brenda's Got A Baby".
No 2 songs that involve introspective rap, life in the ghetto, will be the same: because they involve the rapper being honest, offering their own unique perspective.
Yet any 2 braggadocios rap songs, are basically saying the same thing: how great the rapper is, but this says nothing of the rapper themselves.

Vazka said:
Better lyrics, better low, better production, etc.

How do they have better lyrics and flow?

Vazka said:
Now that's just a complete fucking lie. I've heard those topics in hundreds upon hundreds of modern rap songs. Just because some shitty rapper like Hopsin or Kendrick made some "deep" songs, that doesn't mean rap has more diverse subject matters lmfao

I didn't say that modern rap doesn't have those topics: I said that modern rap has MORE than just those topics.
How many 90s rap songs can you name that are anything like:

-"The Art of Peer Pressure" by Kendrick Lamar: a song where Kendrick tells a story about peer pressure in such vivid detail it's chilling.

-"Dance With The Devil" by Immortal Technique: Many consider this to be a masterpiece of storytelling. In my opinion, it is the greatest storytelling song of all time. Technique tells the story of a troubled young man who becomes a drug dealer, and then into a gangster, only to commit suicide after unintentionally raping his mother. It is chilling, horrifying, and told in such a length and detail, that it feels almost like a movie.

-"Gook" by Denzel Curry: Denzel goes into detail of how he was an outcast. Not something I've heard from an 80s or 90s rap song.

-"Sick & Tired" by Denzel Curry: Curry tells a story from two perspectives: the first perspective are jealous guys who want to rob him, the 2nd perspective is from Curry's perspective.

"Cloud Cobain" by Denzel Curry: where he goes into vivid detail of the consequences of chasing fame.
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Nov 1, 11:58 PM
meme connoisseur

Sheesh...I'll just name my favorite modern lyricists and try narrowing them down. I can legit give an argument for any of em to be my favorite.
-MF DOOM
-Kendrick
-Eminem
-Earl Sweatshirt
-Tyler the Creator
-Brockhampton
-Joey Badass
-Kanye
-Capital Steez
-Milo
-21 Savage
-Immortal Technique

Kendrick is this most consistent for me, like tyler has some duds and so does Kanye. Whatever he releases will be good or at least I will appreciate it. section 80 and TPAB are my favorites.

Immortal Technique his stuff is like the deepest stuff you will ever hear, the realness and grittiness in his lyrics are really not comparable to anyone. Death grips feel, Kanye production, with biggie's flow. Not something you should listen to all the time though, you can't just play his stuff in parties.

RIP Steez my boy only made one album and a handful of features, I still bop to All American corruption to this days with classics like Chicago and free the robots.

Nov 2, 8:12 AM

Does death grips count? I'll go with them. I unironically vibe with it.

Eminem sucks shit now btw.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but it's probably going to involve frogs. I freakin' hate those things."
- Albert Einstein

Nov 2, 8:31 AM

Freshell said:
Does death grips count? I'll go with them. I unironically vibe with it.

Eminem sucks shit now btw.

Well, Death Grips is also hip hop, so I guess they count.

Eminem is...an interesting case. I feel as though on a technical level, he's amazing: the way he plays around with the meaning of words (wordplay), the double entendres, the rhyming. But...everything else sucks: his angsty dad voice sucks, his subject matters on Kamikaze, and to an extent Revival, suck, his beats selection has gotten really bad.
Yet...his music is what helped me get through high school. His music introduced me to hip hop at a young age.
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Nov 2, 12:14 PM

@RealTheAbsurdist

"if someone cares about lyrics, don't they care about the subject matter"

No? Rapping about "deep" topics doesn't make you lyrically better than someone that raps about drugs, money, women, etc. And I couldn't care less about storytelling in rap music. This is just your criteria of what makes a good rapper, not mine.

"Yet braggadocios rap, which has been going on just as long, if not longer, is not repetitive?"

No because that's what rap music was always like since the beginning. And there's many ways to make braggadocios rap. It's not the same every time. Rappers that always rap about life in the ghetto are fucking boring. I don't want to hear how someone came from poverty and life in the ghetto. Not many people can relate to it, so many people don't care about that type of music. Just think of current controversial topics nowadays like gun control, abortion, etc. Everyone is fucking tired of hearing those same topics over and over again. The same thing applies to life in the ghetto music.

That's why rappers that talk about sex, weed, drugs, are more popular than shit rappers like Kendrick. That's what rap started with.

"No 2 songs that involve introspective rap, life in the ghetto, will be the same: because they involve the rapper being honest, offering their own unique perspective. Yet any 2 braggadocios rap songs, are basically saying the same thing: how great the rapper is, but this says nothing of the rapper themselves"

But songs about life in the ghetto are saying the same things as well right? You say that no 2 songs are the same, well NO shit. Take any 2 random songs and they wouldn't be the same either. Braggadocios rap might have the same message in the end, but the way they deliver their message is different. Just like diss tracks, same message but a different way of delivering it. But in life in the ghetto songs, they are just regurgitating the same things that have already been said.

"How do they have better lyrics and flow"

Most of the rappers you've named are shit when it comes to flow and lyrics. Bar for bar compare those rappers to the legends, and they don't even come close! When it comes to flow, Biggie smalls shits on all of them. When it comes to rhyming, Rakim and Eminem are leagues ahead. When it comes to punchlines and wordplay, Big L is leagues ahead of those clowns. The production that new rappers have is boring and unoriginal. Illmatic has better production than any album from those clowns.

"How many 90s rap songs can you name that are anything like"

Again, I don't give a shit about storytelling in rap. If I want storytelling I'd go watch an anime, movie, or read a book. I listen to music for enjoyment, not to hear someone tell a story. Sure it's cool to listen to sometimes, but just because someone can tell stories that doesn't make them a good rapper, let alone better than 90s rappers.
Modified by Vazka, Nov 2, 12:22 PM

Nov 2, 12:44 PM

Vazka said:
And I couldn't care less about storytelling in rap music.

But...storytelling is one of the most essential genres in rap. Nas, Biggie, Eminem, part of the reason they're held to such high regards, is because of how amazing storytellers they are/were. Many storytelling songs like "Stan". "One Love", "Dance With the Devil" are some of the most critically acclaimed rap songs of all time.

Vazka said:

No because that's what rap music was always like since the beginning.

How does that not make it repetitive? In fact, if it's been around longer since life in the ghetto raps, doesn't that make it even more repetitive?

Vazka said:
And there's many ways to make braggadocios rap. It's not the same every time.

True.

Vazka said:
Not many people can relate to it, so many people don't care about that type of music.

Rap in the 90s wasn't relatable either. Extremely few people (by few I mean criminals) can relate to Nas talking about killing people, Jay Z talking about drug dealing.
Today, you have rappers like NF talking about their personnel insecurities that many people can relate to.
I don't understand: your problem with rap about life in the ghetto is that you can't relate to it. Okay. But then...how can you relate to rap about bragging, having a lot of money, and women?

Vazka said:
The same thing applies to life in the ghetto music.

Then why not seek out modern rap that talks about other things?

Vazka said:
That's why rappers that talk about sex, weed, drugs, are more popular than shit rappers like Kendrick. That's what rap started with.

Rap also started with basic rhyme schemes that only consisted of end rhymes, and flows that became dated.

Vazka said:

They might have the same message in the end, but the way they deliver their message is different. Just like diss tracks, same message but a different way of delivering it.

True, but wouldn't you rather listen to a song that delivers a different message in a different way? Going both ways?

Vazka said:

Most of the rappers you've named are shit when it comes to flow and lyrics.

How? Have you listened to them?

Vazka said:
When it comes to flow, Biggie smalls shits on all of them.

As much as I love Biggie's flow, comparing him to other rappers is like comparing apples and oranges: Biggie's style was meant to be smooth. Rappers like Earl Sweatshirt, Tyler the Creator, don't seem to be trying to go for a smooth style, but rather, a more rough one.

Vazka said:
When it comes to rhyming, Rakim

If 99% of your raps are about how great you are, then yes, it's easy to rhyme a lot. I know this, because I write rap songs.

Vazka said:
and Eminem are leagues ahead.

Eminem is amazing in how he can rhyme so much while saying something meaningful. However, if you look at some of the rhyme schemes of modern rappers...I honestly don't know if Eminem and Rakim are THAT much better. I mean, just watch these:

Vazka said:
When it comes to punchlines and wordplay, Big L is leagues ahead of those clowns.

Punchlines are generally reserved for braggadocios/diss tracks. It's usually hard to deliver a punchline while telling a story, or saying something meaningful. Big L almost never rapped about anything meaningful. The rappers I've listened to from this age, don't focus on bragging and dissing. Plus, it's easy to make a punchline about how great you are.
Big L did not use wordplay. Wordplay is when you play around with the meaning of a word, something like:
"Life's a bitch but God forbid the bitch divorce me"
-Nas

Vazka said:
The production that new rappers have is boring and unoriginal. Illmatic has better production than any album from those clowns.

Boring, I can understand, since that's 100% subjective. But unoriginal? Most of 90s rap sonically consists of boom bap. Today we still have got boom bap, but hip hop is blending other genres more now, like trap metal.

Vazka said:
I listen to music for enjoyment, not to hear someone tell a story. Sure it's cool to listen to sometimes,

Why can't you listen to a storytelling rap song and enjoy it? Don't you watch anime because you enjoy the stories it presents? Shouldn't rap have the same appeal then?

Vazka said:
but just because someone can tell stories that doesn't make them a good rapper, let alone better than 90s rappers.

Again, storytelling is agreed by the consensus to be an important skill. 2pac's Brenda's Got A Baby wouldn't be so critically acclaimed if he didn't manage to tell that song's story in such vivid detail.
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Nov 2, 2:02 PM

My faves:

-Money Boy
-YSL Know Plug
-MBeezy
-Flirt
-Mr Pineapple the Fruit Dude

Nov 5, 1:33 PM

eminem
slim shady
i explain the therapy seated on the gold chest

Nov 6, 12:12 AM

Vazka said:

I've found some pretty good songs since 2000 but they were almost all from mixed tapes and not official albums. Since about 2014 its been hard for me to even find any good mixed tapes anymore. I'm sure they are out there somewhere I just don't know a good place to access them anymore. I used to get all I needed from Datpiff but I can't find anything good there anymore. This is why I only listen to Lo-Fi now and instrumentals.

Nov 6, 2:50 AM

2001 was the year of good music
i explain the therapy seated on the gold chest

Nov 11, 7:38 AM

Some of my favorites/biggest influences:

Mega Ran - Nerdcore rapper and one of the emcees I respect the most. He's been at it for decades and finally made a career with his independent grind. Musically he can get on any type of track and absolutely dominate it, talk about any subject matter he wants, and effortlessly come up with ill multi-syllable rhymes in his freestyles and writtens.

Richie Branson - Also nerdcore; responsible for making me want to make my own raps and introducing me to Gundam and Cowboy Bebop among other anime through his music. Perhaps not the most talented lyricist (Many people I know say his flows all sound the same, and I know he kinda reuses a lot of motifs in his lyrics), but the fact that he produced and rapped all his own tracks about whatever nerd shit he wanted profoundly inspired me to do the same.

Mac Miller - Mothafuckin RIP. Similar to Mega Ran I admire how he could hop on any type of beat and make it his bitch. I feel like I grew with his music over the years, and some of his more bleak, drug-addled music came out when I was at a very low point and... I guess it kind of encouraged me to sulk in it, but the fact that there was someone rapping and being cool about having problems made me feel better about not being okay.

Open Mike Eagle - Hilarious lyricist with a unique sense of musicality. He's inspired me to take more risks with the amount of singing I do, and influenced some of my lyrics and delivery.

Childish Gambino - One of the first rappers I was obsessed with. His crass punchlines were what got me into him originally, but as he started messing with psychedelic sounds and rapping with more swag my perspective on what was cool in rap started to shift away from focusing squarely on rhymes.

Action Bronson - Nothing deep or profound here, but he's hilarious and picks great beats. His style of painting absurd word portraits is something I've tried to emulate in my own shit.

B.o.B - The first rapper I ever liked when I got his CD back in high school. His poppy stuff I listened to back then hasn't stuck with me through the years, but I still have nostalgia for it. His last project I really enjoyed was his series of Air, Water, Fire, and Earth mixtapes where he was spouting conspiracy theory shit over banging trap beats, which is just a hilarious vibe to experience.

Kid Cudi - Very musical and moody. Much like Mac Miller, just hearing someone else talk about having problems and being fucked up all the time made me feel better when I was a troubled 19-21 year old. There's a lot of his discography I don't care for, but he has a lot of anthems that resonate with me to this day.

Soul Khan - I don't think he's been very active ever since I've been into him, but his Soul Like Khan album is a freaking masterpiece for hard rhymes and lyricism. He was one of the emcees that early on made me value multi-syllable rhymes above all else, because of his ridiculous strings of rhymes.

Watsky - Another one of the first rappers I got into. His comedic tracks as well as his wicked fast flows were what got me into him at the start. Over time he wanted to break out of that mold and I never liked his later projects as much, but his xInfinity album is freaking stacked with musically sound tracks on varied, serious subject matter that he tackles effortlessly.

Kabuto the Python - Another nerdcore rapper, and definitely the biggest early influence on my own rapping. He's the one that planted the idea in my head that the more syllables you can rhyme, the better your raps are. His music is hilarious and crass, and I succeeded in one of my rap career goals when I finally did a track with him a few years ago!