Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone else have this problem with their friends?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 22, 2019 9:31 AM

Sep 2017
It just depends of the anime, for me

I'll stick with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but I'll never say Demon Slayer (and even less Les rôdeurs de la nuit)

Some Japanese names are also incredibly long and complicated
However I'm more encline to call movie by their western names, like Your Name, A silent voice or Spirited Away (and in this case, it's more "Le Voyage de Chihiro")

My friends do the same thing more or less. They all say Kimetsu no Yaiba though
Oct 22, 2019 9:35 AM

Sep 2018
Nope, my problem is more like:

Me: Hey did you watch Kimetsu No Yaiba?
Friend: Ummm, what the hell is that?
Me: A really popular Shounen anime, it's really good!
Friend: Oh, it's one of those Japanese cartoons, those are lame.

Me: :'(
Blanks.
Oct 22, 2019 11:17 AM
May 2019
It Depends on the anime sometimes I prefer romaji other times English.
I prefer Kimetsu no Yaiba, Demon Slayer sound a bit generic to me.
Oct 22, 2019 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
actuallyaadhi said:
Me: Hey, Do you like Demon slayer
Friend: Ah yes, Kimetsu no yaiba, I like it.
Me: =/

If someone calling the show by its native language title makes you slanty face, I think that's your problem and not theirs. If you know what they're referring to, just move on with the conversation. I guess if they're being an asshole about calling it by the Japanese title then that's pretty rude, but otherwise just deal with it yo.
Oct 24, 2019 8:31 AM

Nov 2014
Personally I hate title translations, not just in anime but also movies and games. Imo title is what author called it and should keep that name, just as characters or places in story keep theirs.
Tho I'll adjust and use more popular name, like FMA or Spice and Wolf. But KnY is not among them.
Oct 24, 2019 8:33 AM

Feb 2010
That's not a problem. You making this into a problem is the problem.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 24, 2019 8:50 AM

Oct 2018
What the hell, how is this even an issue?
Oct 24, 2019 9:06 AM

Aug 2019
Krav40 said:
What the hell, how is this even an issue?
it just makes me feel like an idiot. It's like one upping me or something like that
Oct 24, 2019 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
As long as we both understand which anime we're talking about, there's no issue, even if we use different names for them sometimes. I think my friend tends to use the English titles more often than I do, but it matters so little to me, I hardly ever notice.
Oct 24, 2019 9:16 AM

Apr 2017
Oh yeah I have a similar problem:

Me: Hey, Do you like Kimetsu no yaiba
Friend: Ah yes, Demon slayer, I like it.
Me: :/
Oct 24, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2019
It's not a big deal. People use the name if it's shorter and easier to pronounce, like Your Name. I'm the person who always call the show by its Japanese name, like Kimi no Na Wa. But I don't mind learning the English synonym.
Oct 24, 2019 10:29 AM

Jun 2019
cythraul said:
My friends on other hand think that every anime is a hentai.

Ditto, most of my mates think all anime is either hentai or CGDCT, like My Little Pony but in Japanese, so I don't get such high minded debate (such as who is hotter out of the Fairy Tail women, obviously the correct answer is Erza, no Kana, damnit make that Juvia, so I feel like I'm missing out) with my friends, sadly.
Oct 24, 2019 10:31 AM

Aug 2010
as long as we know what each other is talking about, its all good
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 24, 2019 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
Bro you just went full weebtard. Never go fullweebtard.
Oct 24, 2019 10:48 AM

Sep 2015
This is like one of those american only problems that I always hear about on twitter along with unnecessary drama.
Oct 24, 2019 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
I'm that friend, I guess, but I mix title and use the title I like more or that it's easier to pronounce.
Oct 24, 2019 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
I hate most translated titles and cringe to hell and back when I hear them, so I almost always use Japanese titles and abbreviations, even if everyone else in the conversation is using translated titles.
Oct 24, 2019 12:37 PM

Mar 2015
I'm that friend. Though sometimes I'll refer to an anime by their japanese and english name.

I'll mostly use whichever name it's most known by though. Like, I'm not going to call Fullmetal Alchemist, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi or Oreimo, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute.

woah there
Oct 24, 2019 1:15 PM

Oct 2017
actuallyaadhi said:
Me: Hey, Do you like Demon slayer
Friend: Ah yes, Kimetsu no yaiba, I like it.
Me: =/

Lol, you're not a proper friend to be fussed over something as petty as saying the name of a title differently.
Oct 24, 2019 3:04 PM

Jan 2018
Asaeed said:
Greyleaf said:
What, the fact that they call the show by its proper name? I typically just refer to a show by what it's more commonly known as in the anime community.

Most of the time it's the Japanese name, so:

Kimi no Na wa = correct
Your Name = wrong

There are some cases where the English name is much more widely used, though:

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei = no one calls it by this
The Tatami Galaxy = correct

Kinda just depends on the show, but when people say "Demon Slayer" I typically have no idea what they're talking about at first.

That's a bad example, plenty of people use Your Name instead. Same for A Silent Voice and Koe no Katachi.

Yea I wrote that pretty quick. It was kind of an ass pull... first thing to pop in my head for some reason, but in hindsight I thought the same thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 24, 2019 3:12 PM

Oct 2015
Lol this happened to me with that exact show.

Normie friend: Hey, you like anime right? Recently saw one called Demon Slayer in Netflix.

Me: You mean KnY?

Normie friend: Yeahhh...I think, maybe. *uncertain*

Me: *internal screeching*

No compromises for the normies.
Oct 24, 2019 3:16 PM

Sep 2014
*shrug* I will call it whatever is easier to remember. I like to borrow manga/anime from the library which makes me more used to the English titles

I also watch k-dramas but no international fan ever refers them to their original Korean titles lmao
sunsetoceanOct 24, 2019 4:04 PM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Oct 24, 2019 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
Wow this some kind of nonissue.
Me personally I use both names, it really just depends on which comes into my head first. Same thing with names(not tech the same I know). Discussing Tokyo Ghoul with me is a damn mess because I will refer to the same character by their last name in one sentence, then first name in the next. I blame the mobile game.
Oct 24, 2019 4:55 PM

Oct 2016
Orhunaa said:

Normie friend: Hey, you like anime right? Recently saw one called Demon Slayer in Netflix.

Of course you should ditch that friend and replace them with more space in your heart for waifus.
Oct 24, 2019 5:30 PM

Mar 2018
I'm that friend lol. Is it really such a "problem"?

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 24, 2019 5:38 PM

Sep 2019
Wish i had this problem. None of my irl friends like anime lol
Oct 24, 2019 8:57 PM

May 2019
I have this problem with my friend from time to time.
Me: you have to watch Kimetsu no Yaiba (show the picture)
My friend: Kime... Oh Demon Slayer! Yeah i love it.
Me: I love this opening, it's from Boku dake ga inai machi (They show Japanese name in every poster)
My friend: Oh Erased!
Me: Boku no hero season 4 are coming
My friend: Yeah I like My hero academia.
And sometimes also my friend: Boku no Pico?
also Yakusoku no Neverland, Danshi koukousei no nichijou (why not? they sing their show's name in every single episode), shingeki no kyojin, and Ansatsu Kyoushisu
Oct 25, 2019 4:25 AM

Oct 2015
SillySlySy said:
Orhunaa said:

Of course you should ditch that friend and replace them with more space in your heart for waifus.

Replace it with husbando and I'm all on board buddy.
Oct 25, 2019 5:06 AM
May 2009
Short hand if possible. FMA,FMP, Danmachi, Oreimo.
But lots of the time its the Japanese Title.
Oct 25, 2019 6:50 AM

Sep 2009
Maybe you should be happier if a friend is more nerd than you?
Oct 25, 2019 9:03 AM

Oct 2017
I usually prefer the Japanese titles. But I mostly use either of them depending upon who am I having the conversation with.

Plus, this problem is mostly raised by new anime watchers... since they aren't used to it.
Oct 25, 2019 9:24 AM

Dec 2015
I typically use the Japanese title or a shorter alternative unless I don't know that one.
Oct 25, 2019 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
implying that this is a problem

its like calling zeroth maria hakomari, it’s just a different way to call it
Oct 25, 2019 4:19 PM

Oct 2008
I call Hunter x Hunter and add the x when I say it. So if people are annoyed with me, sorry but that's me.

The my hero academia
vs
Boku no hero academia

Who cares as long as the other guy knows what your talking about.
Oct 26, 2019 11:30 AM

Nov 2015
MajesticOtaKing said:
More like

Me: Hey, Do you like Kimetsu no yaiba
Friend: Ah yes, Demon slayer, I like it.
Me: Yeah, that's the one! :D

Not really a big deal....

Yeah, pretty much. If you both understand the show that you're talking about then I don't get why it's such a big deal to know/prefer one name over the other.

I honestly just use the name that is easier to remember I know better (or that sounds nicer to me I guess?)

For example, I'll prefer:
Attack on Titan over Shingeki no Kyojin but Kimi no Na Wa. over Your Name.

There are shows that I pretty much always use the English name for:
Ghost in the Shell over Koukaku Kidoutai, Assassination Classroom over Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Blue Exorcist over Ao no Exorcist, The Seven Deadly Sins over Nanatsu no Taizai

But there are also anime that I almost always use the Japanese name for:
Soukyuu no Fafner (Fafner in the Azure), Owari no Seraph (Seraph of the End), Youjo Senki (The Saga of Tanya the Evil), Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus Bride)

And then there are series that I have no trouble switching between or using both names for:
My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero, Toaru Majutsu no Index/A Certain Magical Index, Cells At Work/Hataraku Saibou, Zetsuen no Tempest/Blast of Tempest, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress/Koutetsujou no Kabaneri

To me it actually helps to know both names anyways. I have a friend that usually uses the Japanese ones (because they read a lot of manga and are more familiar with the original title), and then I have one that only knows them in English (they watch a lot of anime on Chrunchyroll, which has all of the titles in English)
Oct 26, 2019 2:14 PM
Aug 2016
Luckily I don't have any friend irl who likes anime (or friends in general). My sister is the only exception since she is my sibling, not my friend, but still, I don't have that problem with her either.
Oct 26, 2019 2:20 PM

Nov 2007
I know how you feel, OP! I have been in similar situations!

My friend: I am big fan of K-On.
Me: You mean KEI ON!, right?! I love it!
My friend: =_=
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 28, 2019 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
Happened to me. A friend wanted to know what I was reading and I told them it was Your Lie in April, they had no idea what I was talking about. After some minutes of badly describing the series I just went with the japanese title Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and they recognized it, lol.

It also happened with Attack on Titan. At the time I just knew the english title, so when someone asked me if I watched Shingeki no Kyojin I had no idea what the fuck that was.
Oct 28, 2019 12:29 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
oh yes

what a "problem" to call something by its actual name

thats like you referring to someone by their nickname, them being like "yeah i know *insert real name*" and you calling it a "problem" LMAO
Oct 28, 2019 12:42 PM

May 2018
Somebody: Did you watch Demon Slayer?
Me: The hell is this?
Those english adapted names are as cringey as watching anime with bad dubs

Oct 28, 2019 12:42 PM

Nov 2016
I mean how more petty can you be? What is the problem as long as you can recognize the show in question? I myself generally just use the one that is most convenient to me and at times I just can't say one of the 2 versions like the english version of houseki no kuni or the jap of ghost in the shell
Oct 28, 2019 12:55 PM

Aug 2018
usually me and other people i talk to call 90% of anime by their english name, unless the show has a really short title like nichijou danmatchi monogatari or konosuba, which you can actually remeber, cause most of the japanese names i later forget since i dont speak japanese
Oct 28, 2019 1:12 PM
Mar 2016
I prefer using the more popular name. I can see why it'd be cringy if someone said the less popular Japanese name as if they were trying to show their knowledge. Especially when they reiterate the name (after a question with the name in it), but in Japanese like your example
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

75 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 5 minutes ago

0 by nishant0 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

14 by Rairuchela »»
8 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

977 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 12 hours ago

20 by Rinenka »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.