Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 7, 2023 4:59 AM

Aug 2016
Downloading anime is cringe. Downloading anime so you can then stream it to yourself over Plex, now that's based.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Oct 7, 2023 5:07 AM

Aug 2012
Better quality and I have this sorta unhealthy obsession of collecting some stuff so I like to have every anime I've watched/plan to watch stored somewhere.
Also handy in case I don't have internet. After moving one time I didn't have internet for a month, so having them as files was really handy.
Oct 7, 2023 5:35 AM

Jul 2021
so that i can watch anime interrupted as my dorm wifi is shit.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 7, 2023 8:28 AM

Apr 2018
There are a bunch of general issues with streaming, such as internet speed, video and audio quality, and cost (well, cost if you're going with legal streaming), but that's not all. For a serious anime fan, (legal) streaming simply isn't a viable option right now. The vast majority of anime isn't available (granted, this is also a problem when it comes to pirating anime, since many haven't even been fansubbed yet, though piracy does allow you to see more anime than you otherwise could). Non-anime fans won't see this as a problem, since they're only interested in seeing a small handful of anime anyway, so this is really only a concern for anime fans.

As for why I choose torrents over illegal streaming, that's mainly because the downloads have better video and audio quality. The .MKV format is great since you can easily switch between audio and subtitle tracks (even video tracks, IIRC), so that's also a plus in favour of downloads. On top of all this, I just like owning the films/TV series I enjoy. Streaming sites could easily remove shows from their catalogue without warning (which some sites have already done), so it's reassuring to have everything safe in my possession. Really, the only thing you could use to argue against torrents/downloads would be the size. I currently have roughly over 10 terabytes of anime... okay, that number is definitely wrong, since I also have games, cartoons, live-action films and TV, and other things saved too. The anime on its own is certainly over 2 terabytes, maybe around 5? I don't know. The point really is that it takes up a lot of space. I do own some Blu-rays too, and they're also great.

Oh, since you brought up phones, I'll also add I never watch anime on my phone. I could watch clips at most, but when I actually want to watch an anime, I don't do so on my phone. I mainly use my laptop, sometimes my TV; I'm planning on getting a PC (one day), so I could transition to using the TV screen as the default.
Purple_Gh0st24Oct 7, 2023 9:15 AM
Oct 7, 2023 8:38 AM
May 2012
In streaming websites some episode may be missing because is stored in some dead server, some website may experience lag due to intense traffic on certain hours, size, frame rate and quality heavily dropped also re-encoded files. As website you need most likely a browser, browser are heavy ram demanding, you could use vlc with the correct settings but its way more complicated and sometimes not permitted. Websites have ad, scripts, cookies, there are privacy issues if a streaming website get closed or confiscated. The authority may collect your IP among all the others and also your info if it is a registration website. Websites in general collect data. You can not choose the subs.
Torrenting has way higher resolution is even quicker with high speed connection, you don't want higher resolution? you don't get it you are free to choose the quality, the subs, you better manage your time. Pausing and resume is easier you won't lose buffering/bandwidth or session time expired. Advantages for website is the community, the comments, maybe you can better track your series. Torrenting queue is instant with recent series it gets harder and harder with older, sometimes is hard stuck or missing. Once a file is downloaded internet is no more required and can be transferred in other devices.
Oct 7, 2023 8:50 AM

Feb 2015
I usually only download animes that are not available to watch on legal streaming platforms.
Oct 7, 2023 11:41 AM

Mar 2023
I don't! I don't need to download them, I just watch online.
e
Oct 7, 2023 12:16 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to ShadowMonkey
I want to watch in the best quality possible, without watermarks or ads, and with fansubs instead of trashy official subs
ShadowMonkey said:
I want to watch in the best quality possible, without watermarks or ads, and with fansubs instead of trashy official subs

^Pretty much this. (I know I'm quoting a few years old post, but still mostly relevant for me currently)
If official subs, then I use a decent streaming site like AnimePahe.
Oct 7, 2023 5:17 PM

Dec 2022
Because video players are far better than websites/browsers for video playback. There's no buffering, seeking to any point is instantaneous, never freezes, tons of playback settings to adjust, can customize the player to your preferences (hotkeys/theme etc), can choose which style of subtitles I want, no other distracting stuff - just the video, etc.

Web video players are horrible.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

74 by Otakupervert890 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 7 hours ago

29 by Pokitaru »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

53 by redfield-9 »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
18 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.