Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 21, 2019 12:52 AM
May 2009
Hello,

I want to watch the series for the first time. Searching on the web I have found different views about the preferable order to watch the series.

Chronological order:Steins;Gate 1-22 > Steins;Gate 23β  > Steins;Gate 0 > Steins;Gate 23-25 >OVA>Movie

or just follow the order of the release date

Some say that for a first-timer, the chronological order makes it easier to understand and follow the events of the series but others say that this order ruins the emotional build-up of the series, spoils the ending and destroys the climax of the whole series.

In which order do you recommend to watch the series and why is this order preferable?

Thank you very much

---------------------
Mod Note:

Thread Locked.

This bumped thread did not provide any new discussion compared to the previous posts. The op's question has already been answered throughout the various replies already.

dipItFooJan 19, 2021 6:43 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 21, 2019 1:24 AM

Jan 2013
Oct 23, 2019 12:18 PM
Nov 2016
ummaya said:
Chronological order:Steins;Gate 1-22 > Steins;Gate 23β  > Steins;Gate 0 > Steins;Gate 23-25 >OVA>Movie

Avoid that watching order at all cost!

I feel the need to remind you about something important here, there are some people out there that likes to give a pretty bad watching order and trust me, their suggestion will degrade your experience with Steins;Gate.

People watching Steins;Gate for the first time needs to finish watching this anime (all 24 episodes) and ONLY THEN you can watch the OVA which are episode 25 and episode 23beta and THEN you can jump to Steins;Gate 0. Ignore any other suggestion from people because their suggestion will completely kill the climax of this anime which are the last 2 episodes.

This should be the order you should watch it:

Steins;Gate 01-24 > Steins;Gate Ova 25 > Steins;Gate Movie > Steins;Gate Ova 23beta > Steins;Gate 0. (The Movie is non-canon but it's still pretty enjoyable)
Oct 25, 2019 8:07 AM
May 2009
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Oct 26, 2019 11:03 AM

May 2016
I also suggest the release order, and I also mention that the Steins;Gate OVA and movie are not canon, you don't have to watch them. If you watch them, keep in mind that the story of the movie is illogical and it is in contradiction with the rules which were established in the original series.

Also, if you have the possibility, you should play Steins;Gate 0 VN (the source material) before watching the anime of SG0, in order to obtain the full experience.
-
Oct 31, 2019 6:44 PM

Jun 2012
I'd recommend the chronological order. I watched steins gate when it first came out and just watch 0 now and it feels like i need to watch 23-25 to get proper closure again. I think it might be an overall better experience. ep 23 of s0 spoils a bit but its pretty negligible. I might rewatch it like that in a few months.
Oct 31, 2019 8:58 PM
Nov 2016
Sol_Ou said:
I'd recommend the chronological order. I watched steins gate when it first came out and just watch 0 now and it feels like i need to watch 23-25 to get proper closure again. I think it might be an overall better experience. ep 23 of s0 spoils a bit but its pretty negligible. I might rewatch it like that in a few months.

I wish people like you stop giving that advice already, people watching this anime for the first time should watch it like it was intended to be watched which is the release order. Steins;Gate 0 came out later so that one isn't even necessary to enjoy the original story and will only make it worse because you will stop the climax from the last 2 episodes to start from the beginning with a new anime which is even slower and with a bad pacing and a worse anime in all aspect compared to the OG Steins;Gate, not to mention, the director changed so it doesn't even feel like Steins;Gate at all.

Just stop giving that advice already.
xZabuzaxNov 1, 2019 12:45 AM
Oct 31, 2019 10:30 PM
Aug 2018
We all know that this series is somewhat complcated despite that it has only 2 seasons, movie and 2 OVA because it is all about time travelling (the order is also time traveling). For starters, you should watch it according to release date because it would give you the "shocking" revelation that everything is connected despite the 7 year gap between the two sequel.But I don't recommend to watch it in chronological order. We really need to use our brain while watching it (I lost mine xD) Here is the order

Steins;Gate (1-25)
Steins;Gate Movie
Steins;Gate OVA (Prequel to Steins;Gate 0) this is like the alternative Episode 23
Steins;Gate 0

Have Fun!
Nov 26, 2019 6:55 PM

Jun 2012
xZabuzax said:
Just stop giving that advice already.
No. It's a valid viewing order. 0's ending does not provide closure. If a person plans on binging this show I'd recommend chronological but if not I'd say release order.
Nov 26, 2019 10:17 PM
Nov 2016
Sol_Ou said:
No. It's a valid viewing order. 0's ending does not provide closure. If a person plans on binging this show I'd recommend chronological but if not I'd say release order.

No it's not, it's a bad watching order and is not recommended for first time watchers. You need to treat Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 as 2 separate animes because they both feel completely different in direction, pacing, animation, choreography, etc... and stopping the good flow of the OG Steins;Gate to start from the beginning with a new anime is completely dumb.

Just because Steins;Gate 0 happens to be a midquel doesn't mean that you should watch it first before finishing the OG, Steins;Gate 0 wasn't even necessary and the OG doesn't even need Steins;Gate 0 to be good, the OG was already good to begin with and inserting Steins;Gate 0 into the mix without finishing the OG will only serve to kill the climax and screw with the pacing.
Nov 27, 2019 3:27 PM

Jun 2012
xZabuzax said:
Sol_Ou said:

No it's not, it's a bad watching order and is not recommended for first time watchers. You need to treat Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 as 2 separate animes because they both feel completely different in direction, pacing, animation, choreography, etc... and stopping the good flow of the OG Steins;Gate to start from the beginning with a new anime is completely dumb.

Just because Steins;Gate 0 happens to be a midquel doesn't mean that you should watch it first before finishing the OG, Steins;Gate 0 wasn't even necessary and the OG doesn't even need Steins;Gate 0 to be good, the OG was already good to begin with and inserting Steins;Gate 0 into the mix without finishing the OG will only serve to kill the climax and screw with the pacing.
Nah I disagree. If you're really enjoying the show and don't want it to end it'd be better to watch it in chronological. I watched it release order and I wouldnt recommend that way.
Nov 27, 2019 7:12 PM
Nov 2016
Sol_Ou said:
Nah I disagree. If you're really enjoying the show and don't want it to end it'd be better to watch it in chronological. I watched it release order and I wouldnt recommend that way.

And the majority of the Steins;Gate community disagrees with your watching order, go figure.
Nov 28, 2019 1:34 AM

May 2016
xZabuzax said:
Sol_Ou said:

Absolutely this! +1
-
Nov 30, 2019 5:11 AM

Jun 2012
xZabuzax said:
Sol_Ou said:

And the majority of the Steins;Gate community disagrees with your watching order, go figure.
Your point being what exactly? That the majority is always right? I'm just putting forth why I view chronological as the better viewing order. You can disagree with that sure but to say its a bad watching order is just misleading for those in the minority.
Nov 30, 2019 5:33 AM
Nov 2016
Sol_Ou said:
Your point being what exactly? That the majority is always right? I'm just putting forth why I view chronological as the better viewing order. You can disagree with that sure but to say its a bad watching order is just misleading for those in the minority.

Your watching order is bad for the reasons we provided in this thread, you can disagree with it but that doesn't mean that your watching order is good either, there's a reason why the majority of the Steins;Gate community disagrees with your watching order.

Just let the first time viewers watch Steins;Gate like it was intended to be watched which is the airing order and stop screwing around with their experience by recommending your crappy watching order.
Nov 30, 2019 7:11 PM

Jun 2012
xZabuzax said:
Sol_Ou said:

Your watching order is bad for the reasons we provided in this thread, you can disagree with it but that doesn't mean that your watching order is good either, there's a reason why the majority of the Steins;Gate community disagrees with your watching order.

Just let the first time viewers watch Steins;Gate like it was intended to be watched which is the airing order and stop screwing around with their experience by recommending your crappy watching order.
It's not a crappy viewing order tho.
Nov 30, 2019 7:33 PM
Nov 2016
Sol_Ou said:
It's not a crappy viewing order tho.

Yes it is.

Anyways, this conversation isn't going anywhere so I won't waste my time with this anymore, I'm glad the OP did the right thing which is to watch this anime the way it was intended to be watched and is a good thing that people like you are the minority with that crappy watching order.
Nov 30, 2019 9:58 PM

Nov 2011
I am also one of people who think that original Steins Gate has an anticlimatic conclusion, so probably it's true that watching 0 before the last 2 or 3 episodes of original can somewhat make it better.
But again, many fans probably will be mad at me because I said this, because they hate 0 very much lol. I admit that I am not the biggest fan of Steins Gate though.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 2, 2019 1:27 AM

May 2016
Jim_Heart said:
I am also one of people who think that original Steins Gate has an anticlimatic conclusion, so probably it's true that watching 0 before the last 2 or 3 episodes of original can somewhat make it better.
But again, many fans probably will be mad at me because I said this, because they hate 0 very much lol. I admit that I am not the biggest fan of Steins Gate though.

I'm a big Steins;Gate fan, and I love 0 too, but I think the best "viewing" order is: Steins;Gate -> Missing Link OVA -> Steins;Gate 0 VN -> Steins;Gate 0 anime
-
Dec 15, 2019 6:03 AM
Dec 2013
ummaya said:

I truly envy the people who are able to watch on this order in their first time. If only I can forget all and rewatch in this order then i would.
Oct 7, 2020 8:20 AM
Oct 2020
Sol_Ou said:
xZabuzax said:

Dude seriously stop giving that advice. Steins;Gate is not like your usual anime that you can watch without having any plot twists. Steins;Gate is great because it has a lot of plot twists. Doing your recommendation will take the fun out of it. I fell for your advice and lmao look I gotta rewatch the same shit and I can't even have fun watching this show. chronogically, yours is correct. But trust me everyone, watch from S;G (1-24) and then continue to the next season. Don't ever separate eps 1-23 and 24-25
Oct 16, 2020 7:19 PM

Jun 2012
GERxCrimson said:
Sol_Ou said:

Dude seriously stop giving that advice. Steins;Gate is not like your usual anime that you can watch without having any plot twists. Steins;Gate is great because it has a lot of plot twists. Doing your recommendation will take the fun out of it. I fell for your advice and lmao look I gotta rewatch the same shit and I can't even have fun watching this show. chronogically, yours is correct. But trust me everyone, watch from S;G (1-24) and then continue to the next season. Don't ever separate eps 1-23 and 24-25
Different strokes for different folks man. I watch most things in chronological if I have the option. My advice is for people who are the same as me.
Nov 2, 2020 2:12 AM
Nov 2020
Wow....I'm confused just by reading all this... But, I'll just watch it based on my feeling...please don't mind me.
Nov 2, 2020 10:14 PM
Feb 2019
Samudera02 said:
Wow....I'm confused just by reading all this... But, I'll just watch it based on my feeling...please don't mind me.

Just watch it in release order (which is the way it was intended to be watched) and ignore people recommending the chronological order because it was never intended to be watched like that.

Watch it like this:

Steins;Gate 01-24 > Steins;Gate Ova 25 > Steins;Gate Movie > Steins;Gate Ova 23beta > Steins;Gate 0. (The Movie is non-canon but it's still pretty enjoyable)
Nov 26, 2020 12:14 AM
Jul 2019
I watched steins gate last year and currently rewatching it. I dont really remember but i know that steins gate(original) had its own ending at epsiode 24 and also that 23 beta episode leads to steins gate 0. So why are people saying that you should watch episode 23 and 24 after steins gate 0? Didn't steins gate 0 have its own ending?Or is the ending of steins gate and steins gate 0 the same? Can Someone please explain?
Nov 26, 2020 4:48 PM

Aug 2020
DeckD said:
I watched steins gate last year and currently rewatching it. I dont really remember but i know that steins gate(original) had its own ending at epsiode 24 and also that 23 beta episode leads to steins gate 0. So why are people saying that you should watch episode 23 and 24 after steins gate 0? Didn't steins gate 0 have its own ending?Or is the ending of steins gate and steins gate 0 the same? Can Someone please explain?
sg 0 follows the story of the okabe from our future if I'm not mistaken. [spoiler]It follows the timeline where kurisu dies. Or does she? idk actually lol I just watched divide by 0.[/spoilers]

So basically sg 0 is technically a prequel that's set in alternate setting and then eventually leads back to episode 23 and 24 (i think)

Mod Note: Added spoiler tags
dipItFooJan 19, 2021 6:41 PM
Dec 16, 2020 10:56 AM
Dec 2020
So what is it?? Release order or chronological order. I m really confused. Well i just completed OG steins;gate upto ep 22 and i m just wondering whether to watch to ep 25 and then S;G 0 or do the chronological order. Please share your experiences with whatever order u have watched and how was it?? It might help me find out what order is the best for a first timer like me. I think i wasn't even that confused before i came to this forum and now that i am!!
MonisankarDec 17, 2020 6:29 AM
Dec 17, 2020 3:47 AM
Feb 2019
Monisankar said:
So what is it?? Release order or chronological order. I m really confused. Well i just completed OG steins;gate upto ep 22 and i m just wondering whether to watch to ep 25 and then S;G 0 or do the chronological order. Please share your experiences with whatever order u have watched and how was it?? It might help me find out what order is the best for a first timer like me. I think i wasn't even that confused before i came to this fandom and now that i am!!

Watch it in Release Order:

Dec 17, 2020 12:07 PM

Mar 2019
the chronological order is a terrible order, it's not even chronological, it's just dumb
#justise for koalas
Dec 17, 2020 12:18 PM

Mar 2019
Monisankar said:
So what is it?? Release order or chronological order. I m really confused. Well i just completed OG steins;gate upto ep 22 and i m just wondering whether to watch to ep 25 and then S;G 0 or do the chronological order. Please share your experiences with whatever order u have watched and how was it?? It might help me find out what order is the best for a first timer like me. I think i wasn't even that confused before i came to this forum and now that i am!!

watch steins;gate, fuck 0, zero is shit, but if you want to watch it then after the you are done with s;g, anyone who tells you other wise is lying to you
#justise for koalas
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.