Forum Settings
Forums

Romance endings are really predictable and boring

New
Oct 20, 2019 4:40 PM

Jun 2019
If you've never seen an anime before and watch...i don't know, Nisekoi for instance and try to choose a girl that you think will end up with the main protagonist, you much likely are gonna be mistaken. Why you might ask?! Well, cause once you see a considerable number of anime, and i say anime in general and not only romance cause in other genres there are tons of romance in it too, you'll recognize a pattern, a pattern seen in almost 90% of anime and that's - Who appears first, wins. - This leads me think, why has to go that way? Why she has to always win by the end of the story? Why we can't have a "Katanagatari" route in a lot of them? Not saying the blonde girl ended up with Shichika since we don't know for certain but that's a nice ruoute to go with, don't you guys think? Why we can't have some diversity on it? Like, the main girl gets killed, and the hero or whatever he is, doesn't end up with nobody but years later he get married with some random chick that he meets in a fucking jungle or something of that nature. It can be anything, really. Anything that is slightly different, that's what i ask. I don't always the main or the most obvious girl end up with the main dude. That's my complaint in a romance story.

Anyway, what do you think about this? Do you want more diversity of it? Anything else?
Oct 20, 2019 4:56 PM
Sep 2019
I guess it's just a popular trope since the creators know viewers are more likely to get attached to characters that supported the protagonist since the beginning. It's more 'natural' like that, and more people would probably complain if some random character was inserted as a love interest because there's no depth to them in the story whatsoever (basically they have no time to develop a relationship with the main and the viewer so it's 'less organic').

I don't really mind either way but I do like seeing my favourite characters end up together, especially in shoujo 'cause that's just kinda what you hope for as well as expect lol
Oct 20, 2019 5:21 PM

Oct 2013
I mean as a romance fan I don't give a fuck if its first girl who wins or not

She could be first girl or last girl for all I care about. Whats important is that I like the characters and think the pairing makes sense. If that happens I'm totally happy
Oct 20, 2019 10:50 PM

Feb 2019
First girl usually wins but I don't mind it as long as she is best gril
Oct 21, 2019 3:10 AM

Jun 2019
I will say that the endings in romance series is predictable, but I disagree on it being boring.

I think that it’s actually better if the “main girl” who is going to end up with the mc is made clear from early on. This way, people know which pairing is the “serious” one, and can focus more on their relationship growth rather than seeing the mc be indecisive and/or oblivious about his love interest. I find watching the development of a couple ( until its closure ) more interesting than betting on which girl will win.

Yes, a lot of people find the enjoyment of romance series from guessing which girl the mc is going date, but I think that this is an easy way to spark anger out of the losing team, whereas if the “main girl” is already set from the beginning, everyone will know which specific couple will end up being formed and just enjoy their own personal pairings while still respecting the main series because the “traditional couple” that keeps forming is built on mainstream tastes and qualities that the majority of people will agree with or have neutral feelings about ( not saying that this means there will be no angry fans complaining about how their pairing didn’t cone true ).

To explain more clearly, I’m going to use Akatsuki no Yona as an example. It is clear to all of us that Hak will end up with Yona from all the signs and tropes the pairing gives/follows. We all have experienced this time and time before.
This pairing is the main focus of the series, and thus all the other love interests are “bonuses” that the audience can enjoy and fantasize about if they want to. Now, if the signs given off by Hak and Yona were also given off by all the other possible pairings, the focus of the story would become messy and the fans would have divided. Not a very pleasant idea, is it?
Here, Hak and Yona plays the role of being the mainstream “thing” that everyone can support and enjoy to keep everyone from clashing and dividing.

This, however, does not mean that variety isn’t welcomed. Anything that tries to be new and break out of the traditional or old tropes are always interesting to experience. Though this does not mean that the end result will be good, just as you said,
Tista said:
Like, the main girl gets killed, and the hero or whatever he is, doesn't end up with nobody but years later he get married with some random chick that he meets in a fucking jungle or something of that nature.

It is true that this defies traditional romance series and is a very interesting concept but for the main dude to be marrying a girl who he has not have any proper development with will result in the series to be seen as having a rushed and unthought ending.

Tl;dr I personally think that it’s better for romance series to be predictable because that causes the least damage, and is the one the majority is able to enjoy. Variety is good too but it shouldn’t be a variety “just because”.
AllyxandraOct 21, 2019 3:19 AM

Oct 21, 2019 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
No, I prefer only one love interest. I am not interested in romance only anime after all. I just want to see romance used as a spice. And I am not tired or bored of the pattern I like no matter how repetitive it is.
Oct 21, 2019 3:22 AM

Nov 2016
Since I'm someone who almost never find the first girl to be best I I00% agree. It's so lazy and annoying that I'm losing interest with the entire genre and quint could be the last straw
Oct 21, 2019 5:07 AM

Nov 2011
At least we have the rest 10% right ? And as mentioned above, sometimes the point is not about which love interest will be chosen by the protagonist, but more about how the protagonist's feelings improve. This is especially true in series with main character's thinking/monologues are shown (like 90% anime ?).
Katanagatari is not really count imo, because it is more about a plot twist in the ending rather than a mere romance whim. If you want the example of how this trope done, you can check TWGOK (Keima won't end up with Elsie).
And.. If you really want to play guess who game, you can watch some murder mystery rather than watch a romance.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 21, 2019 5:14 AM
Aug 2018
Please watch tatami galaxy: it is the most unconventional romance series but it’s an absolute masterpiece, where there are basically no cliches.
Oct 21, 2019 5:36 AM
Jan 2018
danielrowland said:
Please watch tatami galaxy: it is the most unconventional romance series but it’s an absolute masterpiece, where there are basically no cliches.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei

This one ???
Oct 21, 2019 6:19 AM

Dec 2008
You are not talking about romance. You are talking about harem. Normal romance stories don't have that many girls or guys to choose from and its usually just a love triangle or square (is that how its called?). A lot of times the story deals with two people and their relationship and thats it.
So this is a conversion about harems specifically.

Oct 21, 2019 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
The focus of a romance story is on the development of the relationship. That means the time the main characters spend together is important. Based on the ending, there are 2 kinds of romance stories: 1) one with a happily ever after end (HEA) 2) one with a tragic end. If the hero gets together with some other person than the main girl, that's a tragic (or bittersweet) end because the auduence's hopes weren't fulfilled. Of course, most viewers prefer to have an HEA than a tragic end. Usually pure romance shows have HEAs while shows with only some romantic elements can go either way and can afford risking a tragic end (like your example, Katanagatari).
Oct 21, 2019 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:
The focus of a romance story is on the development of the relationship. That means the time the main characters spend together is important. Based on the ending, there are 2 kinds of romance stories: 1) one with a happily ever after end (HEA) 2) one with a tragic end. If the hero gets together with some other person than the main girl, that's a tragic (or bittersweet) end because the auduence's hopes weren't fulfilled. Of course, most viewers prefer to have an HEA than a tragic end. Usually pure romance shows have HEAs while shows with only some romantic elements can go either way and can afford risking a tragic end (like your example, Katanagatari).

I would like to add the third type of ending
3) and one that make you guess if the main characters will meet again after long/short separation in the end of the last arc, where the author gives hints that the two might meet one day but the author never really answers that question. Or when the two main characters finally getting together but die in the last arch while their death never confirmed and there's a hint that they still alive.

I kinda like an ending where the main guy/girl must go somewhere else while the main girl waits for his return and the author gives a hint that they will meet one day (Sket Dance and Love Calendar for example).
Oct 21, 2019 7:04 AM

Jul 2017
Never found it boring. Can be frustrating yes, in shows like Just Because or any of Kouji Seo's works, in which the clearly better girl is dismissed for the "main" girl for whatever reason (and I don't mean better imo, the 'main' pairings are usually pretty toxic), but I never found it boring

If anything I dislike shows that have unique pairings at the end for the sake of being unique. Like Anthem of the Heart's end pairings completely went against the entire theme of the movie
Oct 21, 2019 7:20 AM
Aug 2018
Mattinator95 said:
danielrowland said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei

This one ???

Yes, its truly incredible: the witty humour; the narrative; the artstyle; the life lessons. Everything about it is really good
Oct 21, 2019 7:35 AM

Feb 2010
You're not talking about romance anime, you're talking about shitty harem rom-coms. That's a big difference. Nisekoi is garbage and if you watch it for the romance and not just for the waifus then you're a mistake. You never watch rom-coms like that for the romance because they will just bait you for 99% of their runtime while adding more and more girls to the mix without ever developing anything.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 21, 2019 9:30 AM

Nov 2008
Allyxandra said:
I will say that the endings in romance series is predictable, but I disagree on it being boring.

I think that it’s actually better if the “main girl” who is going to end up with the mc is made clear from early on. This way, people know which pairing is the “serious” one, and can focus more on their relationship growth rather than seeing the mc be indecisive and/or oblivious about his love interest. I find watching the development of a couple ( until its closure ) more interesting than betting on which girl will win.

THIS.

Like I've told oh so many people before; it's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

@Pullman; you're wrong; not all of Nisekoi got animated but the manga has an resolved ending and it was damn romantic too.

Oct 21, 2019 10:20 AM

Feb 2010
Chiibi said:
Allyxandra said:

THIS.

Like I've told oh so many people before; it's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

@Pullman; you're wrong; not all of Nisekoi got animated but the manga has an resolved ending and it was damn romantic too.

That's why I said 99%. Rom-coms that don't get cancelled usually do resolve the whole thing in the last few chapters, but up to that point there is generally no actual development and they just add more and more girls to the mix. Or sometimes girls and boys, like Ranma 1/2.

But yeah, stalling for hundreds of chapters to then force some predictable conclusion in the end does not make a romance anime. A romance anime needs to focus on the relationship for more than just the final stretch.

As you said, the journey matters. And the journey for rom-coms is usually a bunch of stalled developments, countless 'near misses' that don't contribute anything, harem shenanigans, fanservice and a lot of comedy that varies wildly in quality depending on the show (for Nisekai it was shit).

Just look at some of the most iconic rom-coms of all times, Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. The reason you watch them is never for the romance, it's for the comedy. That's they their rom-coms, and not romance anime. Romance anime are stuff like Nodame Cantabile or Kimi ni Todoke, that establish a main pair early on and then focus on that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 21, 2019 10:35 AM

Nov 2008
Pullman said:

As you said, the journey matters. And the journey for rom-coms is usually a bunch of stalled developments, countless 'near misses' that don't contribute anything, harem shenanigans, fanservice and a lot of comedy that varies wildly in quality depending on the show (for Nisekai it was shit).

Nisekoi wasn't shit and it certainly wasn't guilty of the above....or did you not read the manga? It did have a few nonsense chapters...but to accuse it of "rushed development" is a definite lie.

Oct 21, 2019 10:57 AM

Jan 2017
Try Reading Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai Manga.
Oct 21, 2019 11:03 AM
Apr 2017
I'm puzzled, to be honest. It's romance, it's not Sherlock Holmes, it's not Psycho Pass, do you need "surprise" or "omg who will win, it'z zuch a myshhhteryyyy"-kind of thing?
Call me crazy, when I watch romance I want some bloody good romance and that has to include a lot of character development and relationship between two characters (which might explain why someone who has the longest screen time might "win" - what a stupid concept that word implies, but whatever -). I couldn't care less if "first girl gets the boy", who the fuck cares if she does so long as it's well told.

If you want suspence of "omg who will win" go watch love island mate.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Oct 21, 2019 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
Pullman said:

Nisekoi wasn't shit and it certainly wasn't guilty of the above....or did you not read the manga? It did have a few nonsense chapters...but to accuse it of "rushed development" is a definite lie.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I remember, It lost its focus since chapter 40sh and only came back to resolve the love triangle in the last few chapters. Yeah, sure you can say that there were some chapters in between where it developed Chitoge and Raku, but only very little of them, while most of them have nothing to do with the main romance plot. So I agree with what Pullman said.

Without its harem who brought almost nothing, it could end up with 50-60sh chapters.
Oct 21, 2019 12:25 PM

Aug 2013
If you want something that explores the negative side of romance read both DomeKano and Kuzu no Honkai Manga. :)
Oct 21, 2019 12:29 PM

Nov 2008
Iyya said:
Chiibi said:

Correct me if I am wrong but as I remember, It lost its focus since chapter 40sh and only came back to resolve the love triangle in the last few chapters. .

I definitely don't agree with that.....though it's been a while since I read it. But it's also a slice of life series so it's FINE to not focus on the romance 24/7. That would get tiresome. Plenty of chapters focused on platonic relationships or ones between families and I think that's great.

Oct 21, 2019 12:29 PM
Feb 2019
Well, it is definitely mostly the case, but I only really care if the other girls are heavily teased as being potential love interests or are just simple cannon fodders. In terms of romance, I think VNs do it alot better, since they atleast give chance to everyone and let all of the possible love interest shine in their own ways.
Oct 21, 2019 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
Does it matter? The journey matters and how their romance will develop.
Also, maybe don't watch harem then and pick better romances...
Oct 23, 2019 6:58 AM
May 2009
Most of the time even its predicatable. Aslong as you enjoyed the journey and loved the characters you are just happy they end up together and you get to witness that.
Otherwise it would be pretty sad if are hoping for that ending only to be left with an ending that doesn't conclude anything.
Oct 23, 2019 11:25 AM
May 2015
Duh, a love story either ends happily or sadly. That's part of the genre.

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
3 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
9 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
12 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
27 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.