Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 19, 2019 2:52 PM

Dec 2017
The manga covers the whole story, but this only adapts the part set before the original series. So it should be listed as a prequel to that? Not sure about the tv version but afaik that is a condensed recut.
Objectivity? In my anime scoring? Of course not...
Oct 27, 2019 2:25 PM

Aug 2016
As far as Im concerned, this adaptation is based on a flashback arc of a manga that is an alternative version of the 0079 Gundam, wich means the Origin manga as a whole doesn´t end in Zeta, but has it´s own path and story.

In other words, this flashback arc is considered alternative because the source material is alternative.

And yes, the tv version cuts lot of stuff and rushes some stuff, so the OVA is recommended first, and I would recommend the tv version in case of a rewatch someday in the future.
:v
Jun 16, 2020 3:47 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
MichaelJackson said:
As far as Im concerned, this adaptation is based on a flashback arc of a manga that is an alternative version of the 0079 Gundam, wich means the Origin manga as a whole doesn´t end in Zeta, but has it´s own path and story.

In other words, this flashback arc is considered alternative because the source material is alternative.

And yes, the tv version cuts lot of stuff and rushes some stuff, so the OVA is recommended first, and I would recommend the tv version in case of a rewatch someday in the future.

I couldn't understand what you said... Origins is my first contact with the 79s plot.

All I know is that this is an alternative retelling of a past that was never explored fully in the originals, as such, to me, this is a fucking prequel, not an alternative thing.

79 comes after this and is based on most of what happened here, a sequel in my book.
Jul 3, 2020 9:50 AM

Aug 2016
Playcool said:
MichaelJackson said:

I couldn't understand what you said... Origins is my first contact with the 79s plot.

All I know is that this is an alternative retelling of a past that was never explored fully in the originals, as such, to me, this is a fucking prequel, not an alternative thing.

79 comes after this and is based on most of what happened here, a sequel in my book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam:_The_Origin
Jul 11, 2020 8:06 AM
Nov 2018
MichaelJackson said:

Origin manga is not alternative, it doesn't change the story in any significant way. It retells it in modern, less naive style and still leads it to Zeta.
It's not an AU reboot like SEED or something. It's a retelling, just like the recap movies. It's still UC.
Jul 14, 2020 7:02 PM

Sep 2015
Playcool said:
MichaelJackson said:

In terms of watching it, just consider The Origin film series a sequel because it functionally is one.
Jul 19, 2020 9:48 PM

Aug 2016
Lemonov said:
MichaelJackson said:

Origin manga is not alternative, it doesn't change the story in any significant way. It retells it in modern, less naive style and still leads it to Zeta.
It's not an AU reboot like SEED or something. It's a retelling, just like the recap movies. It's still UC.

wow, what a shame. I was thinking about reading the manga someday expecting for something diferent than the original 0079. It´s a bit discouraging.
Jul 30, 2020 3:16 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
BlossomBurst said:
Playcool said:

In terms of watching it, just consider The Origin film series a sequel because it functionally is one.

It is still a prequel, but I get your point, unlike most prequels, makes the most sense watching after the sequel, I just would have liked to know that beforehand, no one was really clear on this.

SO I will be in hopes people don't make the same "mistake", anyone wanting to watch Origins SHOULD FIRST see the original 79 series to get the most out of this.

This is by no means a prequel that should be watched first, but something that adds to the experience and feedback you got from watching the original.
Jul 30, 2020 8:53 PM

Sep 2015
Playcool said:
BlossomBurst said:

It is still a prequel, but I get your point, unlike most prequels, makes the most sense watching after the sequel, I just would have liked to know that beforehand, no one was really clear on this.

SO I will be in hopes people don't make the same "mistake", anyone wanting to watch Origins SHOULD FIRST see the original 79 series to get the most out of this.

This is by no means a prequel that should be watched first, but something that adds to the experience and feedback you got from watching the original.

My mistake' I meant prequel
Jul 30, 2020 11:35 PM

Dec 2017
Definitely Origin should be watched after the original series. Not that it will especially spoil the original in my opinion, but it might make the first few episodes a bit less impactful. Apparently in the manga this is a flashback halfway through, though since the manga isn't fully adapted it's not like anyone would watch it like that.

In my opinion, between original and zeta is probably the best time to watch this, though really any time after the original is fine.

I'd say if the full origin manga was adapted it'd be an alternate version, though it's not, and it doesn't really fit anywhere else other than prequel. Plus there are other prequels that shouldn't be watched first on mal anyway.

Also the tv version is technically an alternate version of this, though i don't exactly see why it's in the db when series like Re:Zero Directors Cut aren't, since it's the same thing with less scenes, just with some new ops/eds.
Objectivity? In my anime scoring? Of course not...
Aug 1, 2020 3:10 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Aboar said:
Definitely Origin should be watched after the original series. Not that it will especially spoil the original in my opinion, but it might make the first few episodes a bit less impactful. Apparently in the manga this is a flashback halfway through, though since the manga isn't fully adapted it's not like anyone would watch it like that.

In my opinion, between original and zeta is probably the best time to watch this, though really any time after the original is fine.

I'd say if the full origin manga was adapted it'd be an alternate version, though it's not, and it doesn't really fit anywhere else other than prequel. Plus there are other prequels that shouldn't be watched first on mal anyway.

Also the tv version is technically an alternate version of this, though i don't exactly see why it's in the db when series like Re:Zero Directors Cut aren't, since it's the same thing with less scenes, just with some new ops/eds.

I was at least smart enough to avoid the TV version, mind you, I had both on the folder, but if I m immersing myself on something I have faith on, I want to see the fullest version, it is obviously, why would I hinder my experience further?
Dec 23, 2021 11:40 AM

Jan 2019
MALs "Related Anime" is always messy and inconsistent.

Origin is a different timeline form OG Gundam since some details don't add up. It still works as a prequel but it technically isn't one.

The funny thing is, the same case is with Fate Stay night and Zero, those are also different timlines, but here MAL lists Zero as prequel.
Feb 22, 2022 5:35 AM
Mar 2021
Kind of. This OVA is an adaptation of the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga which is a retelling of the OG anime with some slight changes; the Gundam community calls it an "Alt UC timeline". However, Sunrise has a rule that all animated Gundam works are part of the "main" UC canon, and since this OVA only adapts the chunks of the story set before UC 0079, then yes it works as a prequel to the OG series, since it pretty much ends right before the beginning of the original.

There are many arguments supporting/against this but it’s my easy way of seeing it that makes sense, so there you have it.
Jun 28, 2022 6:50 PM
Jan 2015
I don't know about prequel, since it's the prequel to the Manga of Gundam The Origin, which isn't a straight up manga version of the original anime, but more of a different view on it.

But the current relation of "alternative version" is also very stupid because the events of this series and the original series don't overlap much at all. This series ends before the events of the original anime start.

Therefore I'd say the relation should be "other".
Jul 1, 2022 1:06 AM
Sep 2014
no its an alternate timeline within the UC.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 6 Discussion

Led_Wayline - Aug 8, 2018

27 by Aizakira »»
Jan 19, 6:32 AM

» Why did that 🤡 Declare war instead of making Peace Negotiations?

Perfectly_Balanc - Nov 5, 2023

4 by Armio »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 5 Discussion

Tokoya - Sep 27, 2017

49 by HadToDoIt »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:17 AM

» For direct sequel watch Gundam Zeta

Destined321 - Sep 28, 2023

16 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zurgboy00 - May 21, 2016

67 by DoisacChopper »»
Sep 28, 2023 10:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.