Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 19, 2019 12:57 PM
Apr 2018
Title.

Various shit happens and it seems we have some kind of a goal shaping up... however, at the same time there's this weird feeling that nothing really matters. MC seems like he's there just to take place of MC. It's like a weird fanfiction of some sorts, where somebody writes stuff about another author's characters and doesn't really know how to write them.

I can't see how is this going to becoming more interesting, given the fact that they don't even bother to introduce side cast properly: great, here's Leonidas, here's some woman - and that's it, they're a part of the team now. Seriously? All of it is even more awkward than Fate/Apocrypha.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 19, 2019 1:13 PM
Jan 2018
just wait and watch ,u will see about their story in future episode for sure
Oct 19, 2019 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
err thats what flashbacks or backstory are for so im sure those servants will get them once they get their own spotlights
Oct 19, 2019 1:21 PM

Aug 2010
-caltecronos said:
I can't see how is this going to becoming more interesting, given the fact that they don't even bother to introduce side cast properly: great, here's Leonidas, here's some woman - and that's it, they're a part of the team now. Seriously? All of it is even more awkward than Fate/Apocrypha.

This is a side effect of you being an anime-only and the show mostly being made for the existing fans of the game. We've seen these characters a lot before Babylonia, especially Ushiwakamaru. They don't need an introduction because they already got it in previous stories.

I wouldn't worry too much though since Babylonia does a bit of the leg work with its side characters, so we'll be seeing them more and have them explored further as we delve deeper into the story.
Oct 19, 2019 1:38 PM
Jul 2015
What even count as introduction ? you will get to know all those characters in future episodes
Oct 19, 2019 1:40 PM

Sep 2010
@-caltecronos isn't wrong about the anime storytelling being poorly executed for the medium so far. It doesn't matter for who it is, Babylonia is just mediocre, some episodes were good (0 and 2) and others were pretty meh (1 and 3). They are focusing too much on filler fights rather than the characters as if they are concerned the audience would get bored without cheap fanservice shots and cool moves instead of showcasing the characters (and we know they could do it, they delivered it with episode 0). They are bloating it by leaving all those filler characters that could easily be removed (like Jaguarman, Benkei and Ushiwakamaru) that offer zero to the story beyond a filler boss scene and bad comic relief to improve the story. They really should have taken tips from the Stage scriptwriters to trim down the fat and make a tighter story with the screentime they have. By letting those filler around it takes time and nobody would be developed.

Instead of wasting time on Benkei or Ushiwakamaru (Leonidas could have had another meeting as one of the jobs), or even in a Gilgamesh battle (they could have handwaved it - that or remove/diminished the Ishtar part which offered little), they should have showed Mash and Fujimaru bonding with Uruk people, Ana too, rather the heart of the story that made the impact of future events got a quick montage. Talk about bad storytelling.

Let's hope Camelot won't have the same issues as Babylonia.
ThessOct 19, 2019 1:45 PM
Oct 19, 2019 1:57 PM
Jul 2015
Thess said:
@-caltecronos isn't wrong about the anime storytelling being poorly executed for the medium so far. It doesn't matter for who it is, Babylonia is just mediocre, some episodes were good (0 and 2) and others were pretty meh (1 and 3). They are focusing too much on filler fights rather than the characters as if they are concerned the audience would get bored without cheap fanservice shots and cool moves instead of showcasing the characters (and we know they could do it, they delivered it with episode 0). They are bloating it by leaving all those filler characters that could easily be removed (like Jaguarman, Benkei and Ushiwakamaru) that offer zero to the story beyond a filler boss scene and bad comic relief to improve the story. They really should have taken tips from the Stage scriptwriters to trim down the fat and make a tighter story with the screentime they have. By letting those filler around it takes time and nobody would be developed.

Instead of wasting time on Benkei or Ushiwakamaru (Leonidas could have had another meeting as one of the jobs), or even in a Gilgamesh battle (they could have handwaved it - that or remove/diminished the Ishtar part which offered little), they should have showed Mash and Fujimaru bonding with Uruk people, Ana too, rather the heart of the story that made the impact of future events got a quick montage. Talk about bad storytelling.

What a galaxy brain take, they should remove half of the story because i don't like ??? Babylonia is popular because of what it is and they didn't even waste anytime on the fights it was like 2-3 minutes.

The stage removed the characters because the time is limited which is not an issue here.
Oct 19, 2019 2:03 PM

Aug 2010
Thess said:

While I certainly get where you're coming from, god knows how much the Lancer vs Assassin fight in Presage Flower pissed me off when the tradeoff was Illya's scenes, but I actually disagree with you on that when it comes to Babylonia.

The errand quests part was one of the most boring parts of the story. I get what it was trying to accomplish, but it truly felt like filler AND manipulative. Every scene was filled with "Just look how normal and relatable these people are. Don't you feel like saving them from genocide now?"

I don't need to help these people with their mundane affairs to get the point. I don't need to know you on a personal level to get how massacring the last human city in the world is tragic and impactful.

About Ushi, Benkei and Leo. This is a 21 episode anime adaptation for the fans. I'm not even going to ask if you think they can get away with cutting content fans like (like all of Ushi's, for example), I'm going to ask you if you think this staff of FGO fanboys (yeah, they really are), would miss the chances of showing every little thing they liked about it?

I truly think they're using their time well.
Oct 19, 2019 2:04 PM

Mar 2016
Since this series is classified as being a 21 episode release; the 3 episode formula shouldn't be taken into account.
World building is already established, characters are introduced and they will be built upon next, vice versa with villains.

If you don't know about ancient Sumar or Gilgamesh then you probably see no story here. That story alone is a magnificent one for world building. Not only that [story] but we're getting individual characters with all of their separate world building on top of this.
To pull out now because you can't see a story forming would be foolish
You bring up Fate/Apocrypha, a story that is riddled in a fake historical account and which is seemingly hard to relate to.
This, [Babylonian Front] is a real account of a civilization and probably one of the most interesting documented accounts in the human historical record.
The second being just before the fall of the bronze age.
Dropping this now, would be extremely foolish.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 19, 2019 2:06 PM

Sep 2010
Dab1za9 said:
What a galaxy brain take, they should remove half of the story because i don't like ??? Babylonia is popular because of what it is and they didn't even waste anytime on the fights it was like 2-3 minutes.

Did I offend you somehow? The title of the episode is "The King and its People" and barely shows the people at all. Removing Jaguarman (time waster next episode), Benkei and Ushiwakamaru would improve the story. They were painful (Jaguarman) or filler (those two). Do you have any idea about storytelling and adaptations? You sacrifice needless subplots on those.

You know very well that without those jobs and time in Uruk, the entire conclusion and the future bleakness of Babylonia would fall flat. Ana's stuff with the flower shop woman only gets a quick glance and no lines. The reports to Gilgamesh are handwaved and silent thus removing how the relationship between Chaldea and Gilgamesh evolves which is also very important. But is so much more important to spend time in showing Fujimaru and Mash bonding with filler Servants and Ushi giving Fujimaru a drink? What?

Edit:
astroprogs said:
The errand quests part was one of the most boring parts of the story. I get what it was trying to accomplish, but it truly felt like filler AND manipulative. Every scene was filled with "Just look how normal and relatable these people are. Don't you feel like saving them from genocide now?"

If that's the case, every single scene that is meant to be an emotional investment to people is "manipulative" in your definition. Welcome to fiction. It's important to establish Uruk as people and bonding because of the damn focus of the story.

astroprogs said:
I don't need to help these people with their mundane affairs to get the point. I don't need to know you on a personal level to get how massacring the last human city in the world is tragic and impactful.

But you do. Why would you care more about these people than you did for the Chaldea staff that died in First Order? You don't. And a lot of Babylonia resides on what you call "manipulate" those emotions to be attached to them. Without such bond and without portraying on screen the reports to Gilgamesh which shows his gradual change, it's a literal shallow adaptation. You can like a shallow adaptation that focuses on ass shots, cg animals and nicely animated fights, but this isn't good storytelling. Saying "It's fanservice for us players" is fine, but claiming is good storytelling is another thing.

astroprogs said:
About Ushi, Benkei and Leo. This is a 21 episode anime adaptation for the fans. I'm not even going to ask if you think they can get away with cutting content fans like (like all of Ushi's, for example), I'm going to ask you if you think this staff of FGO fanboys (yeah, they really are), would miss the chances of showing every little thing they liked about it?

It's an adaptation and they are professionals. Adaptations shouldn't do 1:1 work but keep the focus of what is the story saying and cut what doesn't matter or fit thematically. The poster complained about the storytelling and they are correct: it's not good at all (or rather it's inconsistent because episode 2 was ok). In my opinion, those are unnecessary characters (and I don't see Jaguarman mentioned, so I assume you agree - she's the Jar Jar of Babylonia). Leonidas should remain for his plot to keep the wall standing and overall unobstructive (just work out the meeting being on one job) and his interaction with Mash which is important for her development.

This doesn't mean I hate the show, I'll give it a 5.5-6/10 so far.
ThessOct 19, 2019 2:25 PM
Oct 19, 2019 2:41 PM
Jul 2015
Thess said:
Dab1za9 said:

Did I offend you somehow? The title of the episode is "The King and its People" and barely shows the people at all. Removing Jaguarman (time waster next episode), Benkei and Ushiwakamaru would improve the story. They were painful (Jaguarman) or filler (those two). Do you have any idea about storytelling and adaptations? You sacrifice needless subplots on those.

You know very well that without those jobs and time in Uruk, the entire conclusion and the future bleakness of Babylonia would fall flat. Ana's stuff with the flower shop woman only gets a quick glance and no lines. The reports to Gilgamesh are handwaved and silent thus removing how the relationship between Chaldea and Gilgamesh evolves which is also very important. But is so much more important to spend time in showing Fujimaru and Mash bonding with filler Servants and Ushi giving Fujimaru a drink? What?

The reports to Gil wasn't even in the game at this point, the meet him and have a talk with him after meeting Ziusudra and same with Ana we only get to know she is going to help the flower shop and nothing else until this part.
Oct 19, 2019 4:06 PM

May 2015
-caltecronos said:
Title.

Various shit happens and it seems we have some kind of a goal shaping up... however, at the same time there's this weird feeling that nothing really matters. MC seems like he's there just to take place of MC. It's like a weird fanfiction of some sorts, where somebody writes stuff about another author's characters and doesn't really know how to write them.

Two things... Firstly, the MC isn't anywhere close to the main focus. You can knock the show if he's too bland for you, but I don't particularly see it as a flaw. Secondly, it's not like you've given the show time to characterize its side cast. The show only showed the side servants and a few of their quirks because that's all you really need right now. Give the story it's time to breathe first before coming to conclusions about the quality of the narrative.

Oct 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Jul 2017
^ Somebody above is dumb for not realizing this is the 6th arc in a story with an adaptation meant to please existing fans of the series, instead of being an introductory point for people to the series

Also shit hasn't hit the fan yet. This is only the build up

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Oct 19, 2019 4:20 PM
Oct 2018
Babylonia chapter is loved by fans because its story and we all know that very first eps isnt that ground breaking. You will see why this chapter loved after you watch at least 12 eps of anime adaptation.

To make this clear, most current anime adaptation forgot world building chapter because they afraid 3 eps rule. Thats why we saw how poor arifureta adaptation is. I appreciate fgo adaptation not being rushed since so far its good.

Unlike most anime adaptation which rushed its content, fgo so far follows source material in normal pace, so dont say that babylon chapter story is poor if you never read its source materials. 3 eps rule wont work for fgo & fans knows it
Oct 19, 2019 8:14 PM

Jul 2013
Literally the 3rd episode of a 21 episode adaptation with 2 1-hour specials. It's going at a nice pace.

The various shit happening is called a setup for what's to come. I thought this was common sense already?

MC is a literal self-insert in the game with no dialogue and who's choices don't even affect the game's direction. I'm actually surprised he has some kind of personality here and can hold conversations even if it's the typical nice guy.

These characters already appeared and were introduced in previous singularities. This is basically the effect of adapting the last singularity and I'm not sure what exactly was wrong with their introduction. It was clearly laid out they were servants summoned by caster Gil.
Oct 19, 2019 8:30 PM

May 2009
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Rule 2d of Anime Discussion:
Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. This includes, but is not limited to:
a. picture collecting
b. random "xx vs. yy" (e.g. random anime/manga/character xx vs. random anime/manga/character yy)
c. gossiping about individuals (e.g. youtubers, channels/videos, MAL members, other sites' users, etc.)
d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts; these topics only encourage a one-way discussion where members are commenting on the poster's idea, and should be posted using blog feature instead.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

185 by keynutil »»
Apr 11, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2019

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2019

287 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

176 by keynutil »»
Apr 1, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

186 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.