Forum Settings
Forums

Does 'trapped in video game'' counts as Isekai?

New
Oct 18, 2019 6:56 AM

May 2017
Many isekai show a characters summonned or reincarnated to another world,either by sudden deaths or some magic spells. But there is one thing that bothers me. If characters are trapped in video game like in .hack series,Sword Art Online and Log Horizion,does it really count as isekai genre or they are just fantasy action anime series?
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Oct 18, 2019 7:01 AM
Apr 2015
I'd probably class video game worlds as other worlds so yes, the same could even be said for being transported to a different anime which I'm surprised we haven't seen yet.
Oct 18, 2019 7:05 AM

Apr 2019
JoeThePro said:
I'd probably class video game worlds as other worlds so yes

I agree. some might not see sword art online as an isekai but being trapped in a video game should be classed as isekai ether way. Log Horizon is a good example of this.

JoeThePro said:
the same could even be said for being transported to a different anime which I'm surprised we haven't seen yet.

Other than Isekai Quartet, I'm also surprised this hasn't happened either. It would be easy to pull of since many different isekai are owned by the same studio so there wouldn't be any legal issues in doing it and it also sounds like a great concept.

Oct 18, 2019 7:07 AM

Mar 2018
Yes those three are all isekai. People who say otherwise lack common sense, especially with SAO (edit: first arc Aincrad), they believe because the characters' bodies aren't transported it doesn't count.
EsquirtitOct 18, 2019 2:17 PM
poop
Oct 18, 2019 7:12 AM

Oct 2019
According to wikipedia: is the portal fantasy subgenre of Japanese light novels, manga, anime, and video games. Isekai works revolve around a normal person from Earth being transported to, reborn, or TRAPPED in a parallel universe, usually a fantasy world.
So in theory, it doesn't matter if its a videogame or a parallel universe, it still counts as transportation to a different environment.

Oct 18, 2019 7:36 AM

May 2009
WaifuMaster17 said:
Does 'trapped in video game'' counts as Isekai?
In my opinion, if the video game world feels like a whole 'nother world, yes.

i.e. we're not just talking about being trapped in a Pac-Man maze, but being trapped in a full-fledged fictional world, such as in .hack//SIGN.

I actually had an argument/discussion with a couple friends just last night about this. I think it comes down to exactly what you mean by the word "isekai":

* if all you mean is basically "trapped in another world", then basically yes.
* if you mean isekai as a story with a certain set of genre trappings and not just one premise element, then it depends on the details of the story.
* if you mean mutually-exclusive genre classifications for the purpose of publisher filing, then I've been told there's a separate "VRMMO" genre category.

I use the first definition, so my answer is "yes".

Amusingly, if you check Anime-Planet's tag system, they opted to divorce the concept from the disputes over the "isekai" term and instead use the "Person in a Strange World" tag for the trait that I'm talking about.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 18, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
If it is not something like GITS where your subconscious can travel in virtual reality and from one body to the next, then yes
Oct 18, 2019 8:41 AM

Jul 2016
Yes or else Hai to Gensou no Grimgar isn't an isekai.
Oct 18, 2019 8:44 AM
Feb 2017
Yes it does. Those who say otherwise also think water is wet.
Oct 18, 2019 9:00 AM

Feb 2010
I mean setting my own opinion aside, I recently started SAO: Alicization and in one of the first episodes Kirito himself makes the distinction when he literally said "This is not an isekai, this is VR."

It's hard to argue that they are the same when THE most iconic trapped-in-a-game show that started the whole debate explicitly makes a distinction between the two things.

Just sayin'.

P.S. Isekai are also 'just' fantasy (action-)adventure anime. That's not really the way to tell them apart. It's about the nature of the setting and what's possible to do with it. And it's a fact that VR and being spirited to another world are functionally different and lend themselves to different kind of narratives. The sci-fi and technology aspect is very important in VR settings, as recent SAO seasons prove, while they are a non-factor in isekai settings. Just to name one fundamental way in which they are different.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 18, 2019 1:57 PM

Oct 2013
SAO is a no because its not actually being transferred to a new real world but actually being visually projected a falsehood into your brain like with the Matrix

Log Horizon and Overlord is indeed Isekai since the players's physical body is transported into a new world that isn't earth

Its just like how Inuyasha isn't a Isekai since its just Kagome traveling to the past but is still on earth
Oct 18, 2019 10:46 PM

Jan 2019
I think it does. They're going to another world, so why wouldn't it be considered an isekai? It's a video game, yes, but it's still another world.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Oct 19, 2019 6:24 AM

Oct 2008
I think so yes, it is another world, even if it is in a game. What pisses me off to high heaven is why the F***ING game mechanics present in that other world. Get rid of the game mechanics and that alone will make it more interesting.
Nov 21, 2019 2:00 AM

Jan 2018
For me Sword Art Online count as an isekai anime. I don't even want to think about how he poops, pee and all kinds of real life human needs when he was trapped ya know. It might be explained in source material but I only watch anime.
Nov 21, 2019 6:41 AM

Mar 2017
Depends on your definition of isekai. To me, it's anything where a main character is in an alternate reality, whether it be time period, an alien world, an alternate reality, or a virtual reality, as long as it's a different reality than what the character existed in before. This includes "reverse isekai" (meaning a character from one of these realities exists in the present world).
A møøse once bit my sister...
Nov 21, 2019 10:11 AM

Apr 2015
Tadito said:
I think it does. They're going to another world, so why wouldn't it be considered an isekai? It's a video game, yes, but it's still another world.

I've mentioned this before, but then some fanboy's of some "trapped in games" got angry.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Nov 21, 2019 10:26 AM

Aug 2010
isekai = fantasy anime

its like how all rectangles are squares but not all squares are rectangles.

all isekai are fantasy anime but not all fantasy anime are isekai.

i mean, there is no real difference between your standard isekai and your basic fantasy adventure. The main difference is that the protagonist is easier to relate to for the common weeb since the protagonist is also a common weeb.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 21, 2019 10:40 AM
May 2019
Yes it does it's a different world like SAO.
Nov 21, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
WaifuMaster17 said:
Many isekai show a characters summonned or reincarnated to another world,either by sudden deaths or some magic spells. But there is one thing that bothers me. If characters are trapped in video game like in .hack series,Sword Art Online and Log Horizion,does it really count as isekai genre or they are just fantasy action anime series?

Of course it counts.
It has always counted. That goes all the way back to the founding pillars of isekai.
Nov 22, 2019 3:06 PM

Oct 2012
Deknijff said:
SAO is a no because its not actually being transferred to a new real world but actually being visually projected a falsehood into your brain like with the Matrix

Log Horizon and Overlord is indeed Isekai since the players's physical body is transported into a new world that isn't earth

This is basically how I categorize "trapped in video game"
Nov 22, 2019 3:25 PM

Oct 2013
Shiniela said:
Deknijff said:

Im sorry but I don't get the point of your reply after reading it
Nov 22, 2019 8:14 PM

Jan 2019
Tropisch said:
Tadito said:

I've mentioned this before, but then some fanboy's of some "trapped in games" got angry.
They just fail to understand that a video game is another world.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Nov 22, 2019 8:21 PM

Oct 2013
Deknijff said:

Its just like how Inuyasha isn't a Isekai since its just Kagome traveling to the past but is still on earth

I'd have to agree with this, though I understand why people would classify stuff like SAO and Inuyasha as isekai anime.
Nov 22, 2019 8:37 PM

Oct 2019
Anything with command button tab isn't isekai.
Nov 22, 2019 8:53 PM
Jan 2019
Your whole consciousness is being shifted to a different place that is not earth, si yeah I would classify it as an isekai.
Nov 22, 2019 9:02 PM

Feb 2010
It doesn't, really. The most popular example people name is SAO and Kirito himself points out, in Alicization, that VR is a very different thing from isekai. So with both common sense and the most popular show people list as an argument for VR being isekai telling me that it isn't the same thing, I'm pretty confident it isn't.

If the player's physical body is transported to a different world which is based on a video game, it's isekai. But if it's just VR and their physical bodies still being in the real world is a plot point, like in SAO, it's a different thing.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 22, 2019 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
xx_ibrahimd_xx said:
Your whole consciousness is being shifted to a different place that is not earth, si yeah I would classify it as an isekai.

Its more like technology is being used to hijack the senses so that the person involved perceives themselves being in a place that "is not earth".

Ive made a similar thread to this before and posters said all sorts of stuff, people cant agree on anything concrete in this argument so everyone ends up spinning their wheels.
Nov 22, 2019 9:09 PM
Jul 2017
It could be a sub genre of Isekai I think. There’s transporting physically into another world, dying and reincarnating into another world, and this could be mentally transported to another world since their bodies are still in the real world right?
Nov 22, 2019 9:56 PM
Mar 2018
From reading some replies opinions can differ on it, but quite often being in a video game satisfies the industry as being an isekai.

I class it as an isekai myself, I wouldn't say trapped per say, I would count spending a lot of time outside the normal world and in the fantasy/imaginary one as an isekai, which would mean much of SAO is.

shield hero is a but if a weird one though as naofumi doesn't play games, but he's brought to a world with pretty heavy game mechanics, not a weird one to count just weird how he gets to that
Nov 22, 2019 10:32 PM

Jun 2011
ComboSmooth said:
isekai = fantasy anime

its like how all rectangles are squares but not all squares are rectangles.

all isekai are fantasy anime but not all fantasy anime are isekai.

i mean, there is no real difference between your standard isekai and your basic fantasy adventure. The main difference is that the protagonist is easier to relate to for the common weeb since the protagonist is also a common weeb.
This is the most logical response to the question if you actually spend a little more time thinking about it.

For the people saying "having your consciousness stay in video game = another world counts as isekai" then wouldn't it make all of us who's had a dream had an episode of isekai-ism? I don't think it works that way.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 22, 2019 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
I think it would only be an isekai if they are trapped in that virtual world and can't escape from it. Otherwise constantly switching from the game to the real world doesn't really make it an isekai imo.
Nov 23, 2019 12:52 AM

Nov 2013
The answer is still no.

On a side note, Isekai doesn't automatically equal fantasy.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 23, 2019 11:17 AM

Aug 2010
TheBigGuy said:

the second youre dealing with other worlds you are in fantasy...
Or sci-fi, but honestly the line that separates sci-fi and fantasy is super thin.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Nov 23, 2019 1:25 PM

Nov 2013
ComboSmooth said:
TheBigGuy said:

the second youre dealing with other worlds you are in fantasy...
Or sci-fi, but honestly the line that separates sci-fi and fantasy is super thin.

I disagree. And the distinction is actually pretty clear, even if there are some common elements.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 23, 2019 2:03 PM

Oct 2012
Deknijff said:
Shiniela said:
Im sorry but I don't get the point of your reply after reading it

it was basically a +1 reply for the thread author. Wasn't going to rewrite what you wrote
Nov 23, 2019 2:08 PM

Mar 2018
Pullman said:
It doesn't, really. The most popular example people name is SAO and Kirito himself points out, in Alicization, that VR is a very different thing from isekai. So with both common sense and the most popular show people list as an argument for VR being isekai telling me that it isn't the same thing, I'm pretty confident it isn't.

If the player's physical body is transported to a different world which is based on a video game, it's isekai. But if it's just VR and their physical bodies still being in the real world is a plot point, like in SAO, it's a different thing.

Convinced by a generic one-dimensional overpowered harem isekai protagonist, phew, the mental gymnastics you have to pull of for the sake of being a contrarian against fandom concencus sure is lame.

JK sorry lol I just think being trapped in a parallel world (VR) fits the western definition of isekai so labeling at such isn't harmful, not that any of this matters because literally only SAO has this issue
poop
Nov 23, 2019 2:11 PM

Aug 2016
I'd say so. Regardless of it being a game or not, it's still another world.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 23, 2019 2:54 PM

Oct 2013
@Shiniela ah ok then sorry for not understanding and thanks
Esquirtit said:
Convinced by a generic one-dimensional overpowered harem isekai protagonist, phew, the mental gymnastics you have to pull of for the sake of being a contrarian against fandom concencus sure is lame.

JK sorry lol I just think being trapped in a parallel world (VR) fits the western definition of isekai so labeling at such isn't harmful, not that any of this matters because literally only SAO has this issue
I fail to see how Kirito being seen as a generic one-dimensional overpowered harem isekai protagonist disproves Pullmans sound factual argument
Why care about the western term when its clearly based on a non understanding of the term itself?
Nov 23, 2019 3:04 PM

Mar 2018
Deknijff said:
@Shiniela ah ok then sorry for not understanding and thanks
Esquirtit said:

I fail to see how Kirito being seen as a generic one-dimensional overpowered harem isekai protagonist disproves Pullmans sound factual argument
Why care about the western term when its clearly based on a non understanding of the term itself?

because were are the western anime community who embody ignorant dumbfuckery
poop

More topics from this board

» Is this the most well-animated, fluidest fighting sequence in anime history?

SgtBateMan - 38 seconds ago

0 by SgtBateMan »»
38 seconds ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

10 by Dumb »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

155 by Shizuna »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - 12 hours ago

18 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 3 hours ago

10 by Nirinbo »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.