Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 16, 2019 11:33 AM

Mar 2019
I've heard mixed things about it. What makes it good and what makes it bad, my fellow comrades.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 16, 2019 11:38 AM

May 2016
Two words. It's generic.

Oct 16, 2019 11:39 AM

Aug 2018
Yes it gets very good overtime.Anime will cover only 24 ep but it's a story of character development , I would recommend manga over anime

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Oct 16, 2019 11:59 AM
Aug 2019
It's absolutely incredible. Has amazing visuals, characters and story. The character development is easily the most realistic I've seen it handled in anime. If you want a show with layered characters, great story and just a bad ass show, you can't go wrong with it. Easily my Aoty.
Oct 16, 2019 12:06 PM

Jan 2009
owen3939 said:
Has amazing visuals

i lol maybe the first few episodes since clearly later episodes have animation quality drop just like most anime do so in other words its visual is not that special
Oct 16, 2019 12:08 PM
Aug 2019
deg said:
owen3939 said:
Has amazing visuals

i lol maybe the first few episodes since clearly later episodes have animation quality drop just like most anime do so in other words its visual is not that special
That's fair, but the backgrounds look incredible. Just look at the latest episode for example.
Oct 16, 2019 12:48 PM

Jan 2009
owen3939 said:
deg said:

That's fair, but the backgrounds look incredible. Just look at the latest episode for example.

oh background arts but do be reminded that background arts are static images though so they only do few of them each episode so that means they have a lot of time to make those few art as beautiful as possible
Oct 16, 2019 12:48 PM

Jul 2014
What makes it good= its edgy,dark and mature so people think its cool because it aint for kids.
What makes it bad= its slow, its nothing special, its normal, its boring, its fans.
It has its moments like EP14, but other than that the eps before it has been boring at least for me.
Oct 16, 2019 12:57 PM

Mar 2018
If you like epics, yes it is. Beautiful tragedy. The plot isn't exceedingly special so far but still of very high quality, continuously building up to something bigger, the way it's combined with the development of the characters is phenomenal. All of the characters serve well to drive the themes of the story while still standing out individually, due to solid characterization, great natural dialogue and well thought out worldbuilding. Makes great use of its historical time period to give everything more context, like all of the 4 seasons play a big role in the story and makes for gorgeous scenery. Love it so far UwU

welcum2savage said:
The person who said its generic is judging it too early. Wait till the season is done before you judge it.

It has never been a ''generic'' anime though. That dude is clearly a troll and if you ask him why it's generic he'll just utter some bullshit

deg said:
owen3939 said:
Has amazing visuals

Visuals is not just animation though. Episodes 9 and 11 still had top tier action scenes and all episodes so far have had stunning art, especially last episode which looked incredible throughout. Knowing that it's Studio Wit we'll still get some high quality animation anyway

-Stray said:
What makes it good= its edgy,dark and mature so people think its cool because it aint for kids.
What makes it bad= its slow, its nothing special, its normal, its boring, its fans.
It has its moments like EP14, but other than that the eps before it has been boring at least for me.

With you I actually believe you feel mentally scared by some fans somehow. Wtf happened to you?

Edit: retract statement
EsquirtitOct 18, 2019 6:00 PM
poop
Oct 16, 2019 1:05 PM
May 2019
For me it is but then again I tend to like anything with vikings in it lol.
Things that I like setting, characters, artwork, interesting twist, a lot of character development, cool OST.
Things that I dislike CGI and pacing in some of the episodes.
XstasyOct 17, 2019 2:23 AM
Oct 16, 2019 1:30 PM

Jul 2017
The good: It's one of the more realistic portrayals of medieval times especially during times of war. Has some great OST and backgrounds, well done fight scenes (although the CGI can be jarring) and some interesting twists that are coming into play

The bad: Pretty slow paced, there isn't really any character that makes you want to root for them, can be a bit repetitive and no character really stands out yet (except maybe Askeladd/Thorkell)
Oct 16, 2019 1:43 PM

Jan 2009
@Esquirtit

i know visuals are like mix of animation and art style (or character design and background art and (digital) colors/effects) so im just pointing out the animation part that is just average or nothing special
Oct 16, 2019 2:01 PM

Mar 2018
@deg Yeah I know I'm just saying the visuals do deserve praise imo. When the animation is at its peak it's top tier quality and we still have 10 episodes so there might be more instances. Combined with the other visuals aspect it's still worth 7-8/10 overall
poop
Oct 16, 2019 2:07 PM

Sep 2018
It is a pretty enjoyable action anime. It starts calm, but changes after episode 3.
Oct 16, 2019 2:12 PM

Oct 2014
Esquirtit said:
@deg Yeah I know I'm just saying the visuals do deserve praise imo. When the animation is at its peak it's top tier quality and we still have 10 episodes so there might be more instances. Combined with the other visuals aspect it's still worth 7-8/10 overall

Just curious, what moments are you referring to as top tier quality animation? I have yet to see anything remotely exceptional to be honest.
Oct 16, 2019 2:26 PM
Feb 2019
It is one of the best of the year.
It has great visuals, animation...
Characters are trully deep but you have to understand not like people that think this is only action. Vinland Saga is its characters and their story not about action. It only use viking stage to explain violence, war and the concept of universal love.

Also, a lot of people say it is generic but they are wrong. It is a well done action seinen which is a much deeper and dark story as usual stories like shounen's ones. This theme is thanks to its characters and some people are blind to see that every moement has its own importance. Moreover, this is a complete story not by arcs like shounens so you have to think of it as a general story so wait until the end of this season or you probably don't think it is that good. The paced is perfect for me. A lot of people critizice it because its not that popular but they start comparing to other popular animes, I think that's because they have envy or they this is great ;)
Oct 16, 2019 2:32 PM

Mar 2018
Pyro said:
Esquirtit said:

Just curious, what moments are you referring to as top tier quality animation? I have yet to see anything remotely exceptional to be honest.

Well there have been enough instances of high quality animation scattered throughout the series but obviously episode 4 and 9 stand out.
poop
Oct 16, 2019 2:35 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Thorfinn's character development is almost Kiriyama-tier level in the manga. Going from the most hated to most likeable in the span of 100 chapters. It is such a shame that people are judging Vinland Saga just based on the few prologue episodes that have aired till now. For me Vinland Saga shines the most after the prologue. A coming of the age story about pacifism in a dog eat dog world.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 16, 2019 2:37 PM

Jan 2019
You don't know what you have unleashed, have you?
Anyways,
The Good:
- Slowburn (I personally love these kind of anime)
- Interesting dialogue
- Amazing characters and villains
- Great Tone
- Great world-building
- Astonishing writing
- Great animation when it needs to be
- Beautiful backgrounds
- Great twists
- Great action sequences (minus CG)
The Bad:
- Jarring instances of CGI
- A couple liberties to change the source material (nothing major)
- Animation drops in a few episodes

Call me a fanboy all you want, but I believe this anime is something truly special.
Also this:
Lonely_Ronin123 said:
I would recommend manga over anime
Oct 16, 2019 3:09 PM

Feb 2019
It's a must watch imo. I recommend to binge it, instead of waiting for weekly release. It's pretty slow paced.

Good: It has great story, characters, realistic medieval feels and ost.

Bad: Slow paced and the animation quality dropped after the 4th ep.
Oct 16, 2019 3:24 PM
Nov 2017
As someone who's already read the manga, I can guarantee it's good. The only reason why people said this is bad because they judge it too early. Well, maybe it's a little spoiler, but it's in the review anyway.

For example, one of the character, Thors, is the true pacifist person, and people already complaining because the moral is "if you kill bad people, you're no different with them", which is not true. That is not the moral of the show at all, it will get explanation why he did this and why he did that.

Another example is a whining little brat that all of a sudden become an edgy character. As I said earlier, everything has reason in it. If you just keep going, you might hate the main character, but slowly become your favorite character. Of course, you will also get the moral of how his dad is a true pacifist while the MC is a killing machine.

The show itself is kinda slow, but it's worth it. Just think of it as 'steins gate' or another slow show. It is of course might be boring, but you get paid off. There are a lot of development here, so it won't be a plot all of a sudden. Before you get to the main story, you will be introduce how the world in this anime works and how the character interact with each other.

I won't say the anime is perfect anyway. Especially in anime there is filler episode (you can call it like that) thar doesn't really include in the manga, so it just makes the show more slow than it should be. Well, maybe some people will say the filler is important, but I don't really think it's really that important, especially the development in filler can be replaced with an existing episode.
Oct 16, 2019 3:27 PM
Jul 2019
It’s amazing honestly
Pros:
-Well-executed story that becomes better and better and better over time
-Great characters. There are many nuanced characters in this, many characters will develop, and most are likeable in their own way
-Stunning background art
-Great art on the the characters, tried very hard to do the amazing art of the manga justice
-Above average OST
-Historical accuracy. However keep in my mind that this story is based on the Viking epics, therefore while many parts of the culture are accurate, the action sequences are not very realistic
-The animation quality can be great at times
-The themes of God and love are very fleshed out, especially in future parts of the story that haven’t been adapted yet, so it’s worth sticking with
Cons:
-While the animation quality can be great at times, at others it can dip. It’s not bad, just average. So the quality is up and down
-The CGI is mostly well placed, but at times it can be quite jarring
-It’s a slow-burn. While I don’t see this as a problem it seems many people want high paced and action-packed shows. The thing is, Vinland Saga takes a lot of care in fleshing out it’s characters, and constructing its themes, which is why people think it’s slow, which is why I recommend bingeing it.
There are a lot of trolls that seem to follow these threads religiously for some reason.
Oct 16, 2019 4:18 PM

Nov 2017
I'm an anime only but I like it. I've never seen such multifaceted character like Askeladd in a very long time.
Oct 16, 2019 5:39 PM
Jul 2019
It's great but if you don't like slowly building stories I will suggest to skip. It's very slow and taking its time with events and characters. It's also not action heavy at all unlike how it will look like from the cover or opening (though I'm not manga reader). More like history drama so far.
Oct 16, 2019 5:43 PM

Nov 2016
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Two words. It's generic.

Lmao this must be the most ironic comment I've seen in awhile
Oct 16, 2019 8:23 PM

Apr 2018
The good: everything
The bad: it's only 24 episode.
Oct 16, 2019 8:31 PM

Jan 2019
-Stray said:

What makes it bad= its fans.

Ahem... *clears throat*
*drinks water*
Boo
Oct 16, 2019 8:54 PM

May 2015
Pyro said:
Esquirtit said:

The opening scene of the show and Thorfinn's fight with Thorkell are pretty clear standouts.

Oct 17, 2019 3:42 AM
Jul 2007
This is coming from a non-manga watcher. It's a little on the dull side after the prologue episodes. So by the time the next episode comes out, you might have forgotten or don't feel like watching the next episode. Also, it kind of pushes the boundaries on what is realistic when it's trying hard to be a historical action-drama. It's like the show wants you to suspend your disbelief just a little bit which is fine and acceptable, but it really asks you to do that too much later on with how ridiculously super-human some characters are. I made the mistake of coming into this show hoping it would be realistic, so I was let down later on. Had it stuck closer to reality, I'd highly recommend it but can't due to that reason. It would probably be more enjoyable in a binge than a weekly viewing.
eraltergOct 17, 2019 4:09 AM
Oct 17, 2019 3:51 AM
Oct 2018
Vinland Saga is easily one of the best shows of the past decade. It is going to go down in history as one of the greatest anime ever when the season is over.

Mark my words.

Never ever listen to anyone who talks about animation, cgi, pace and whatever else, those people are immature and cannot see the real deal in the show.

It doesn't have positives or negatives - it is a piece of art. Perceive it as it is.

It is a story about manhood

What it is that separates a boy from a man is the topic the story explores

You don't need anyone's opinion on it - just go and give it 3 episodes in a row to see for yourself
Oct 17, 2019 4:32 AM

Apr 2019
My brother, who seemingly have read all the manga you can possible name, has always talked to me about Vinland Saga. He told me it's one of the best manga's that he read and he's never been wrong when he says its good.

I'd say Vinland Saga is really great if you like action and large-scale wars.

To anime-watchers: I haven't read the manga yet, but he told me that there will come a time when Thorfinn will undergo an overwhelming character growth, and that's where the best parts will start.

Oct 17, 2019 8:54 AM

Sep 2019
sad_sinner said:
I've heard mixed things about it. What makes it good and what makes it bad, my fellow comrades.
In short it's stable at 8.5's ratings. So maybe not that spectacular till now but still pretty good.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Oct 17, 2019 8:59 AM
May 2016
It is. For some reason it has a weirdly big hatebase though.
Oct 17, 2019 9:15 AM
Aug 2019
I love this show.

And I think the average viewer will probably find Vinland to be enjoyable. However, Vinland has some idiosyncrasies that could make it less enjoyable. The show may vastly differ from your expectations. For example, Vinland is an action anime. BUT the show prioritizes highlighting more casual character interactions, so fighting takes a back seat much of the time.

The show is loosely based on historical figures and events, and Vinland takes time to construct characters in a way that makes them seem authentic, giving us a better understanding of their motivations & behavior. And the world-building is meticulous, constant, & seamless, making the ebb and flow of the story believable. BUT the mangaka chooses to exaggerate the fighting prowess of 6 characters to make the fighting more epic. This stylistic choice is in the same vein as historical sagas of the Viking Age, however it can be jarring depending on your expectations & preferences. The one-on-one fighting animation, along with background art, is where Vinland shines. BUT wide shots of battles are less attractive due to the use of CGI.

There isn't much of anything that's put forward by the mangaka that is necessarily bad. The storytelling is pretty solid. But the story progression is slower than typical action anime. It's as if the author deliberately installed a limiter to prevent a car from going faster than 90mph. He slows things down to provide in-depth characterization & world-building. And WIT provides additional characterization that enhances the source material.

Watching Vinland has been great, but no matter how enjoyable it is for the average weekly viewer, I bet that the average binge watcher will have a much different & probably better experience.
najumobiOct 17, 2019 9:18 AM
Oct 17, 2019 3:12 PM

Oct 2010
Wait till they make an adaptation out of Historie (made by the mangaka of Parasyte), they'll expect Alexander the Great fighting asians and they'll get politics. Vinland Saga is good for its own target audience, if you like action stuff and ecchi, maybe you won't enjoy this.
Oct 18, 2019 1:07 AM

Sep 2019
Modernoir said:
It's because some users started hating on other shows and they also say that those who like shows of shonen type are idiots and nothing but a waste.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Oct 18, 2019 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
superzombie23 said:
This is coming from a non-manga watcher. It's a little on the dull side after the prologue episodes. So by the time the next episode comes out, you might have forgotten or don't feel like watching the next episode. Also, it kind of pushes the boundaries on what is realistic when it's trying hard to be a historical action-drama. It's like the show wants you to suspend your disbelief just a little bit which is fine and acceptable, but it really asks you to do that too much later on with how ridiculously super-human some characters are. I made the mistake of coming into this show hoping it would be realistic, so I was let down later on. Had it stuck closer to reality, I'd highly recommend it but can't due to that reason. It would probably be more enjoyable in a binge than a weekly viewing.

If you're talking about Thorkell when you say super-human character, he's based on a real historical figure. A giant like him existed so it's not really unrealistic.
Oct 18, 2019 7:02 AM
Aug 2019
Peeti said:
Modernoir said:
It's because some users started hating on other shows and they also say that those who like shows of shonen type are idiots and nothing but a waste.

Yeah, I also think it has to do with expectations. So many people were going around on forums and YouTube saying Vinland Saga is the greatest ever before and after release. By doing that, you only invite intense criticism and ruin the enjoyment for others because their expectations are so high.
Oct 18, 2019 7:22 AM

Mar 2018
@EchoAnEternity There has barely been any sensible criticism to be honest. I would say on MAL 90% of it is repeating the fact that some characters possess superhuman strength, but it's historical fiction and anime so it's kinda worhtless and dispensable as critique. Anyone can see it's not entirely realistic, the first few minutes weren't, it's just matter of perspective on how stories should be told and your own taste.

Other 10% historical flaws and minor inconsistenies. But they certainly aren't delivered by the trolls and haters who just spout crap

If people are influenced so much by hype of the anime community maybe they shouldn't interact with it. Literally every anime has a fanbase calling it a masterpiece
poop
Oct 18, 2019 7:34 AM
Dec 2017
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Two words. It's generic.

how is it generic? There's nothing quite like it.
Oct 18, 2019 9:01 AM
Aug 2019
Esquirtit said:
@EchoAnEternity There has barely been any sensible criticism to be honest. I would say on MAL 90% of it is repeating the fact that some characters possess superhuman strength, but it's historical fiction and anime so it's kinda worhtless and dispensable as critique. Anyone can see it's not entirely realistic, the first few minutes weren't, it's just matter of perspective on how stories should be told and your own taste.

Other 10% historical flaws and minor inconsistenies. But they certainly aren't delivered by the trolls and haters who just spout crap

If people are influenced so much by hype of the anime community maybe they shouldn't interact with it. Literally every anime has a fanbase calling it a masterpiece

I 100 percent agree with you. That’s what I meant by intense criticism. When something is called a masterpiece, people find it necessary to nitpick every little thing.
Oct 18, 2019 9:58 AM

May 2016
JoyBoy_316 said:
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Two words. It's generic.

2019 for anime was a mistake
Oct 18, 2019 10:39 AM

May 2018
As a manga reader,story was great until the part after
Oct 18, 2019 12:21 PM

Nov 2016
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

2019 for anime was a mistake

MAL character count
Oct 18, 2019 5:32 PM

Sep 2019
deg said:
@Esquirtit

i know visuals are like mix of animation and art style (or character design and background art and (digital) colors/effects) so im just pointing out the animation part that is just average or nothing special
So overall story and music is good (7/10)? whereas animation and art are high mediocre (6/10)? Character development is said to be in the future so now it's simple and average (5/10)? Nope I will not try this animu, atleast mango is said to be better, so I may try mango.
Oct 18, 2019 5:52 PM

Mar 2018
@Peeti I don't know what you did wrong but I received a notification. I disagree with the scores but I'll just answer your question; there is a lot of character development and it's not average or simple, quite the opposite, there are multiple strong characters it's just one character
right now who is kinda stale (even if he's developed a lot already) but he receives a lot of growth later in the story (in the manga, anime won't reach it) according to monga readers
poop
Oct 18, 2019 6:27 PM

Sep 2019
Esquirtit said:
@Peeti I don't know what you did wrong but I received a notification. I disagree with the scores but I'll just answer your question; there is a lot of character development and it's not average or simple, quite the opposite, there are multiple strong characters it's just one character
right now who is kinda stale (even if he's developed a lot already) but he receives a lot of growth later in the story (in the manga, anime won't reach it) according to monga readers
May be I will see it later. Obviously mango has a reputation but you know the time between anime adaptations, lolšŸ˜Œ, it's long.
Oct 19, 2019 4:57 AM
Oct 2018
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
Two words. It's generic.

Haha it's anything but generic. Wait till it finishes airing and you will see.
Oct 19, 2019 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
I do not see anything special about it but then again I have read Berserk so it doesn't impress me as it once could have. I also am not a fan of vikings and so on, so maybe it is just me but the setting doesn't captivate me.
Oct 19, 2019 5:43 AM

May 2016
AOTY so far for me.
-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.