Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 18, 2019 5:41 PM

Feb 2015
I remember the live action movie, which was alright, and this too is just alright. Either the adaptions have butchered this series or the manga does not deserve the score it has, I wonder which it is.

That aside, the episode and fight was a mess and it felt like a bad version Monogatari, as was the ridiculous pseudo philosophical talk between the two ladies that made absolutely no sense on either side but particularly the villain's.
YautjaOct 18, 2019 6:06 PM
Oct 18, 2019 9:18 PM

Oct 2012
I really enjoy the fight scenes. The cuts are quick and brutal. It really reminds me of reading the manga back in the day. The music and sound also really add perfectly to the atmosphere. Makie is an amazing woman. I'm very curious what's to become of her...
Oct 19, 2019 1:33 AM

Dec 2015
This was pretty meh i literally slept in the middle of the episode just woke up and finished it i don't know what to say about this just flat :v
Oct 19, 2019 2:53 AM

Jul 2016
Yautja said:
I remember the live action movie, which was alright, and this too is just alright. Either the adaptions have butchered this series or the manga does not deserve the score it has, I wonder which it is.

That aside, the episode and fight was a mess and it felt like a bad version Monogatari, as was the ridiculous pseudo philosophical talk between the two ladies that made absolutely no sense on either side but particularly the villain's.

It seems far too artsy for mine.

Almost feels like a Japanese anime made for pretentious white kids.
Oct 19, 2019 9:10 AM
May 2016
That was confusing.
Oct 20, 2019 8:10 AM
Apr 2015
NGL, I really like this episode.
Oct 20, 2019 1:08 PM

Aug 2018
A nice episode, I liked it. I haven't read Blade of the Immortal yet but I am enjoying this "adaptation" so far. Cheap action scenes and rushed story telling with Rin being a pendule character, with little or none personality to me, but expected less. Hope it gets better.
Oct 21, 2019 9:18 AM
Jan 2019
Brutal! Tremendous confrontation and beating that gave Manji, is lucky to be immortal. Makie, that woman has an incredible ability with her swords, she is an amazing swordswoman.
Great episode.

Ps: It was funny to see Rin jealous, hahaha.
Oct 21, 2019 5:45 PM

Mar 2009
Bloody hell. Hamasaki's directing is stunning. He's completely in his element here, having done Shigurui in the past. Shigurui was incredibly perverse, crude, and grotesquely violent though, of which BotI is not. Thankfully. Much more subtle here, and Lidenfilms' average budget/animation is fortunately being overpowered by Hamasaki's directorial flair. They certainly picked the correct director.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three episodes, even if it's disappointing to hear from manga readers that it's been rushed so far. I at least got the gist of Makie's story and she is a well-realized character. Really like her a lot. And I'm desperate to watch the next episode.

Oct 21, 2019 6:59 PM

Feb 2019
what service is this airing on
Oct 22, 2019 5:59 AM

Feb 2011
Yukikaze_sama said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
3rd episode and I still don't get this anime. Nice atmosphere, but kinda hard to follow.

this x 100.

Everything is a 8/10 but the story is hard to follow.
battles are wack.

hoping it gets better.

Oct 22, 2019 10:14 AM
Oct 2015
The fight scenes are very similar to those in Shigurui, with the idea of fast-paced short action, almost too fast for the human eyes to comprehend, which leaves you with the fight's aftermath.
But if I recall right, Shigurui's fights were much more realistic, relied heavily on stances which made the fights tense and unique and overall felt much better than how they are in this one. Although, I very much liked the scene at episode 2 where the painter kill the bold spearman and the blood splash resmbeled The Great Wave off Kanagawa, that was magnificent.
Also, I never read the manga but the story and relationships does feel kinda rush.

With all that being said, I kinda enjoy what I see so far and I'll keep watching.
Oct 22, 2019 3:37 PM
Aug 2015
the anime looks really good so far but still... they skip alot of stuff from the manga and i can't bring myslef to like this.... This is a big cut version of the actual story and i was hoping for an adaptation like the vinland saga anime
Oct 23, 2019 4:08 AM

Sep 2019
You know, if you WERE immortal, taking off an arm to become lighter would be a good tactic... well, as long as you handle the new balance. Although if you store weapons in that sleeve, losing them would be an ass. Also, not to mention if the limb is lost in somewhere like a river.

That'd suck.
Or half-knawed off by an animal.

I'm enjoying it still. Sure, like most here, I can feel there's something off, but it's not enough to kill my enjoyment. Although, I might read the manga after it finishes and see if my opinion changes
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 24, 2019 3:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Zaugr said:
Does being born with an amazing ability, not naturally imply that it's your duty and purpose to follow it? Does choosing another way of life not mean being truly selfish and ignoring the rare gift you've been given--to ignore a way out of the difficult circumstances so many others find themselves hopelessly trapped in?

How does one find, and then be happy with, their purpose in life? Does the answer lie in where you were born? The abilities and talents you were born with? Your parents guidance and wisdom...? Or is the answer perhaps none of these things, and a purpose you can be content with is something you can only ever get through careful reflection of your own experiences, values and feelings? Through asking the question to yourself - and only to yourself?

And what is worse, living an undignified way of life, or a truly ugly way of life? What is the difference between those?

What an amazing episode. The ideas were very beautifully, and very fully, explored. It gives so much to think about. What a great and interesting character that woman was. This is how you do a self-contained episode! Also the direction and art... And the soundtrack too... God damn are they going all-out. I'm finding myself replaying so many sequences in awe. This show is so captivating.

EDIT: For the people complaining about it being "jumpy" or" hard to follow" with the edits and general direction - I get what you mean, though I hope you realise that it's the byproduct of a very much intended stylistic choice--one you might not be appreciating.

This show's direction prioritises very heavily the feeling over the action. For example instead of showing an action from start to finish, and prioritising the basic clarity of that movement, it'll instead maybe focus on showing specific imagery to better invoke the core points and feelings of the sequence (or, for example, just the unnatural speed of a fight between two masters). Instead of spending two seconds focusing on showing a swing from start to finish, it might spend one second on both the draw and the resulting impact, and spend the rest on other things that can perhaps better emphasize and convey the power, speed or emotion behind and in it.

In a fight scene you'd definitely be better not trying to follow each and every movement from (and exchange of blows between) characters, but rather just the general flow of the fight and the changes in mood--absorbing the imagery as it comes. This show is focusing its time very carefully on only the important things, and emphasising those; respecting you the viewer enough to pay attention and to not need to be heavy-handed in making sure you're following the flow.
This isn't an uncommon directing-style. Certainly not in Japanese cinema. I'm pretty sure there's an especially long and storied history with it (that signature focus on very explicit symobilism and very rapid, flashing, provoking imagery) and samurai films.

Thank you very much for a very well thought out and clearly written post. You really nail the spirit and intention behind the directors choices for this show. I hope you don't mind if I heavily borrow some of your words in the neverending future debates about how this show is playing things a little bit differently.

I can understand why this show is so polarizing. If you're coming from the likes of Sword Art Online or FATE, the way action and plot are presented here must be confusing. While it's source material is the manga, this show leans itself much more upon Japanese cinematic and theatre tradition. It's not a classic "anime" anime if you understand my meaning.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 24, 2019 10:15 AM
Mar 2018
Can anyone tell me what was the style of the ED in this episode? I'd to listen to more of that. Thank you.
Oct 24, 2019 11:24 AM
Apr 2015
MKgranimefan said:
the anime looks really good so far but still... they skip alot of stuff from the manga and i can't bring myslef to like this.... This is a big cut version of the actual story and i was hoping for an adaptation like the vinland saga anime

Don't compare it with manga
If you enjoy it
Anime is good
Manga not imortant
Oct 24, 2019 2:06 PM

May 2018
Manji is actually a horrible swordsman. Thank goodness he's immortal.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 24, 2019 6:55 PM
Nov 2016
Byniavo said:
Yukikaze_sama said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
3rd episode and I still don't get this anime. Nice atmosphere, but kinda hard to follow.

same here, I think the action doesn't flow at all because it comprises of lots of stills and it makes the action especially difficult to follow.

Other than that it's fine

The action is absolutely perfect. Very little "actual animation" yes, but handled beautifully, like, I did not know this was possible. 10/10
Oct 27, 2019 6:34 PM

Sep 2018
Hmmm he's too weak!! If he's not immortal he can be easily defeated even by a girl!
Nov 2, 2019 1:37 PM
Jan 2016
I love how this man is supposed to be this unstoppable swordsman who killed 100 men by himself, and he walks around with like 20 different weapons AND he's immortal, but his cheeks still get clapped in every episode XD I feel like this man wouldn't have even lived thriugh sword school if he wasn't immortal lol
Nov 3, 2019 5:10 AM

May 2017
super bored with this. giving it 1-2 more episodes before dropping it
Jan 5, 2020 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Byniavo said:
Yukikaze_sama said:

same here, I think the action doesn't flow at all because it comprises of lots of stills and it makes the action especially difficult to follow.

Other than that it's fine

At first I hated the way the action scenes flow so fast and weird. But then while watching this episode, I think that's the point: I think the fight scenes are trying to convey that sense of adrenaline rush in an actual fight. It's like, in an actual fight, it feels like everything is happening so fast, so quick, that nothing feels right, if that makes sense.
Still, while I like the overall tone, aesthetics, and traditional Japanese music in this anime, the overall directing for the non-fight scenes feels too awkward for me to keep watching. Yes, the story is certainly interesting, but there are, or will be, many anime to come that are set in Feudal Japan and have that dark, bleak, feel to it, while being more comprehensible.
Mar 28, 2020 5:34 AM

Jun 2016
I have the same issues with the other episodes but this time the action scenes which I loved before felt awkward. I didn’t understand the complaints before this but here the montage of images that we were given felt odd and not effective. I also found the least amount of enjoyment in this episode thanks to the pacing. Even when not trying to grasp every detail and rather watch for the feeling, it focuses too much on the exposition. I watched some Texhnolyze which was hard to follow but in its lack of abrasive dialogue and that’s far more suited for my tastes.

I just don’t get time to sit with Makie or Rin, there isn’t a sense of quietness anywhere to be seen, their stories don’t end up gaining my empathy or intrigue. Rin in particular doesn’t feel like a person to me. I’m sure if there was more time with her it would feel like we were seeing many sides of a complex person but with the way we don’t see her transition from these sides, it feels uncanny. Her determination and pain in episode 1, her desperation for the sword and her instant stomaching of that desire and then her little sister act in episode 2, and this time doing the instant cut to her pouting and cut away doesn’t imbue these together in my mind as a person fluctuating in their mood. They aren’t close enough together, it's often like she can only show one emotion per scene and the scenes blast by, like I said early, with a lack of quietness. That is actually why my favorite part of the episode was her saving Manji. It felt like they finally converged, her care and appreciation for Manji and her determination despite her lack in skills, saving his life. It was a really nice moment.

It was also cool to see Manji's sense of pride coming out!
Apr 16, 2020 1:34 AM

Jul 2015
I wish they used a little bit less jumpcuts in the fighting animation and also didn't ommit Makie's past

Dammit Manji, almost everybody so far had more skills in sword fighting...

Apr 22, 2020 12:39 AM

Nov 2010
As the post counts is the highest of all the episodes, this episode would be the most impressive one.

Actually, it's a cool battle sequence that the girl ambushed the enemy from a spear stubbed high on the wall. Although the choreography as a whole was beautiful, the animation needed much more frames.

Her indecisive and unconvincing behavior was also a flaw. Her background should be told in more detail.
Jan 30, 2021 9:24 PM

Jun 2020
I feel like I should probably read the manga, however, I find the art extremely pleasing to the eye. I don't think that it's hard to follow, I just feel like there are some things that are just being left out. All in all, I think it's a great anime.
Jun 14, 2021 10:36 PM
Oct 2019
ugh, after enjoying episode 2 we're back to being mediocre again

i didn't care about that woman at all. not about her. not about her backstory. nothing

i didn't care about that 16 year old girl's reason for wanting revenge and being ok with killing people. that scene actually annoyed tf outta me, if i'm being honest

immortal guy is a shit fighter. wow. he loses to everybody

i don't like villain of the week shows. and this very much has been an episodic series so far. meh. i'm gonna give this a break and maybe i'll come back to it later
Nov 5, 2023 11:57 AM
Aug 2022
Gaawdd the dude is extremely weak. 3 episodes and he can't do shit.
Even a woman can cut through him without a scratch. Huge turn off.

And I don't care for the mushy details. Why do we have time for a prostitute's love life and not for other pivotal flashbacks or sth?
I can't follow the story most of the time, is sth wrong with the editing, idk maybe.
Jan 17, 9:13 AM
Feb 2022
I loved Makie as a character in only one episode. The protagonist is quite average in combat, and is only saved by his immortality.

Spanish translation:
Makie me encanto como personaje en solo un capítulo. El prota es bastante regular en combate, y solo se salva por su inmortalidad.
Apr 21, 10:08 AM
Jul 2023
There we go, fixed the pacing issue. Hopefully.
- I like that they just focused on a single character this time.
- This scene is so much more brutal than it is in the 2008 version. I feel it through the screen.
- The action is a bit wonky, but I think it will get better.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 4 Discussion

Rider9530 - Oct 23, 2019

38 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

61 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 11:28 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

81 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Nov 27, 2019

27 by BrianaBird »»
Apr 8, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Mar 25, 2020

53 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.