Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 3 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 18, 2019 3:36 AM

Oct 2007
laughed when the dad thought her loli daughter is somehow interested in a grown man (Otto). :p

hmm, so manual mathematical computation is also applicable in this world.

papyrus takes too long to make... time to change plans to making clay tablets. :)
Oct 18, 2019 4:05 AM

Nov 2018
Turi helped Maine so much with the peeling lmao.
Again with not including muscle memory in, hmm. Guess I should just give up on that. Still wish the series had focused on it as just knowing alone can't make you a natural at stuff as Maine's body isn't supposed to know all that.
Paruecake, nice.
oh my God, I can't believe Maine's dad mentioned Otto is married lmao. He is a little too protective (okay fairly)
I like Otto and Maine's interactions.
Lmao Maine knows how to please her dad.
"Victory is mine, Otto?" lmao he has such a childish side. Its kinda cute tho.
That hairpin came out really nicely. Wow and Turi looks really cute too.
Another great episode.
Oct 18, 2019 7:15 AM
Sep 2017
zwolf12 said:
Myne (my preferred writing of her name, every translator has a different way of writing it, so I feel it is fair to choose your own preferred way)

At least your choice of "Myne" is the one that the author (not a translator) decided was what should be used in the English releases (the official manga/LN translator started with "Maine" because that's what the original WN translator started with but then people wanted it changed to "Maïne" because that's what the original WN translator later changed to, so they decided to email the author for their opinion and they came back with "Myne")
Oct 18, 2019 9:43 AM

Sep 2011
Shonen-Heartful said:
Shirasho said:
So, 3 episodes have passed and I am ready to formulate an opinion.

This was not remotely what I expected. At the same time it is exactly what it said on the tin. She has no books. So, what does she do? She goes straight to making them. How do you make them with much of current technology not existing? That is what the main character (no pun intended) is trying to figure out. She is looking for ways to improve her situation with the limited resources she has. The series is flying straight and true to its premise, and I have a lot of respect for that.

Animation-wise, it has been fairly consistent with additional praise for attention to detail. When I say that, I don't mean that the animation quality is superb or anything like that. I mean that the family's hair is consistently shiny as opposed to the hair of the other characters which tends to be flat. Overall no complaints in this department, as the minimum level of quality has been met.

The story and pacing is always the real controversial thing. I can see this being really slow and dull for some audiences which is probably why the MAL score is so low (MAL user ratings are way too subjective which is why we can't have nice things). I believe the series does what it aims to do fairly well. It doesn't stray, and almost every moment aims to push the story forward.

I've given it all this praise, but don't get me wrong - I'm starting to find it a bit boring. We've followed the same pattern for 3 episodes now, and it is starting to get stale. Maine gets bored, family does something in "primitive" or subpar way, Maine pulls out knowledge bombs and nukes everyone from orbit. It almost feels like they are using Maine's frailness to prevent her from exploring and keeping her confined to the house and the gate. 3 episodes in and I still know nothing about this world. I'm afraid it will suffer the same way that Sweetness and Lightning did.

One question has been bugging me since episode 1. Most of the time with isekais the main character comes over and gets a new body or keeps their old one. In this one the girl's consciousness went into a living girl who was not a newborne. What happened to Maine? The real one. Did her consciousness just disappear?

Soy itself is not unhealthy. Like they say, too much of everything is a poison. It just various per thing on what the safe limit is. Ignoring soy allergies for a moment, having a soy pancake will not make you sick. Having soy milk in your cereal will not kill you. Having soymilk for breakfast and a tub of tofu for lunch and dinner will probably be bad for your health. And let's be honest here. The idea that soy is bad for you is probably total bullcrap. At one time they said that brown rice was super healthy, and then they say that it is really bad for you, then they say it doesn't matter either way. Similarly, there was a huge campaign to blame sugar for causing issues instead of fats and carbs. You should not trust everything you read and take it as gospel, because the next day the same people that were calling it the devil's spawn will claim it came straight from heaven.

7 isn't a low rating. It's 7 points out of 10.

You just need to learn how to appreciate slower moments, that's all there is to it.

Keep in mind this is MAL. 7 may be a high rating on your board, but for the overall average on MAL 7 is the same as 5. People default to 7 instead of 5.
Oct 18, 2019 10:06 AM

Dec 2009
@Shonen-Heartful @Shirasho

7/10 is the standard bar of entry for pretty much every site with ratings, be it movies, be in games, be it anime, etc.

7 usually means average not bad
6 usually means something lacking and some people really don't like it
8 usually means generally people love it
9 means people gobble it up like insane
10 never happens
5 means it was absolutely broken or absurdly offensive in some way to turn mostly everyone off...

...regardless of what the numbers on the scale are identified as in the rating process. anything below 7 will turn away most people, anything above 7 will attract more people. people who only watch 8 and up are usually snobs, people who watch a lot of 6 and under usually have a lot of guilty pleasure (or just don't understand fiction).

that's just kind of universal standard of how everything balances out in the end, socio-economically speaking.

i rate my anime based on this. because if i rate an anime above 7, i'm microscopically contributing to increasing it's rating, if i rate below 7 (or it's current rating) i'm contributing to decreasing it.

we really should have more values on the scale in terms of what is good, than in terms of what is bad ...most of the scale is varying degrees of bad, but nobody even glances at anything below 5 (who wants to touch anything that is more than 50% total shit?). the problem is that there is no easy way to achieve this that also balances out sociologically.
GenesisAriaOct 18, 2019 10:36 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 18, 2019 10:30 AM

Nov 2010
Hurwitz said:
zwolf12 said:
Myne (my preferred writing of her name, every translator has a different way of writing it, so I feel it is fair to choose your own preferred way)

At least your choice of "Myne" is the one that the author (not a translator) decided was what should be used in the English releases (the official manga/LN translator started with "Maine" because that's what the original WN translator started with but then people wanted it changed to "Maïne" because that's what the original WN translator later changed to, so they decided to email the author for their opinion and they came back with "Myne")

Interesting, do you have a source for that?
Not that I'm zealous about that stuff, but I would be interested to see the authors reasoning. :D
Oct 18, 2019 11:38 AM
Sep 2017
zwolf12 said:
Hurwitz said:

Not that I'm zealous about that stuff, but I would be interested to see the authors reasoning. :D

The author doesn't really give an explanation beyond saying that any romanisation will be difficult because in Japanese her original name and new name are meant to be a pun, but here is relevant stuff:
Oct 18, 2019 8:36 PM

Nov 2010

Hurwitz said:
zwolf12 said:

The author doesn't really give an explanation beyond saying that any romanisation will be difficult because in Japanese her original name and new name are meant to be a pun, but here is relevant stuff:

Thanks, I found this quote from the official translator of the novel that should be the discussion in a nutshell and the solution they went for:
"Yeah, the author specifically requested "Myne", which honestly is fine with me. The author in general seems very informed on European names which is very relieving and impressive."
Oct 18, 2019 9:46 PM

Feb 2018
the first episode that had a good pacing, even tough they cut some chapters I wanted to see. The first two were just too fast for my WN reader taste, what are you people talking about? saying this is slow... lol
Jokes aside, we're finally getting a peek of the impact of modern knowledge on a medieval society! This is, for me at least, the most enjoyable plot point of the series, so look foward to it.
Oct 19, 2019 12:13 AM

Oct 2017
Okay I'm really starting to like this series now. This is getting better and cuter with every episode. Maine is getting more and more cute with each episode. I thght she would be some sort of annoying bookworm but glad thats not how she is turning out to be.
Oct 19, 2019 4:42 PM
Oct 2018
Eventhough I know that this eps is bit rushed, I dont feels that too rushed like previous eps. I guess that this eps is more effective than eps 2.
Oct 19, 2019 10:00 PM

Nov 2013
Basically this episode is just a filler
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 20, 2019 12:08 AM
Sep 2016
Maine is an outgoing person. She is really good at making handicrafts and also at cooking.
I'm not exactly complaining. But you have to wonder, is this how a bookworm is supposed to be?
Oct 20, 2019 12:56 AM

Sep 2019
While I already know the story from the manga, it's nice seeing it animated... especially when it regards to colour. I'm still not used to it, per say, but it's nice to look at.

Naturally, they had to cut out some scenes, which is fair, but I hope they don't cut out anything too important.

(And I'm surprised Otto is still somehow alive)
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 20, 2019 1:52 AM

Nov 2010
nazsa said:
Maine is an outgoing person. She is really good at making handicrafts and also at cooking.
I'm not exactly complaining. But you have to wonder, is this how a bookworm is supposed to be?

I know there are a lot of explanations in the anime that are easy to miss and that are better explained in the source material, but I'm pretty sure they explain that her mother (before she died) had a knack to start new hobbies, like handicraft shampoo, baskets, cooking etc. and she pulled her daughter into that as well.
Oct 20, 2019 3:19 AM

Apr 2019
That was another great episode. The father had me laughing many times lol

I didn't totally expect her to be able to make pancakes out of those. She surely is very smart for a bookworm.
Oct 20, 2019 1:28 PM

Aug 2017
This was a nice episode. Many great thing happened actually. I like Mains strong female lead. Her determination to become a librarian no matter what is something to cherish. And I like the way she refuses to step in her 'mothers' footsteps! I would love to taste her paruecakes too! Oh, and she visited Otto again and learned some new letters. It was also very nice of Main to make this flower hairpin for Turi. That ending was funny :3 These girls are making their father proud for sure. Can't wait for the next episode!
Oct 21, 2019 11:01 AM
Jan 2019
But how pretty is Myne when she gets angry, hahaha, and her father is funny when he falls into the nets of her tenderness.
Myne surprises everyone with his innovative ideas.
What a beautiful family 😁.
The papyrus did not work, now only the clay boards are left, hahaha.
Oct 22, 2019 5:17 AM

Sep 2016
AnimeFlyz said:
This is what the anime has adapted so far
Ep 1 (V1 Ch 1-4)
Ep 2 (V1 Ch 5-7, 10)
Ep 3 (V1 Ch 8, 11-14)

Since you're knowledgeable about the show: where is the prologue of Episode 1, chapter wise?
Is it that far from now?
Is it plausible that we'll reach it before the end of the series?

Shirasho said:
Keep in mind this is MAL. 7 may be a high rating on your board, but for the overall average on MAL 7 is the same as 5. People default to 7 instead of 5.

Considering the average score of a lot of "decent" shows is around 7, I'd say this isn't true in most cases.

5/10 is an insufficient score, there couldn't be so many decent shows in that range if their score was insufficient (bad).

I think the problem thinking that 7 is the new 5 is just because some people are used to the old rating system where a 5 was the lowest score.

Nowadays one should consider that a 7/10 show is supposed to be something everyone can enjoy to an extent.

In a way someone is doing that, but in a exaggerated way.
In a lot of anime discussions I've seen this format in the last episode's review from a lot of familiar faces of this forum.
"Yeah this is a good, show, I really enjoyed it.
6/10"
Excuse me what. Lol.
bruh
Oct 22, 2019 10:33 AM
Feb 2014
@FullyCharged
I highly doubt it. The blue haired guy (whose name is Ferdinand) is from the 2nd arc, which is covered in Volumes 4-7. They included him because he is apparently an extremely popular character in the Japanese fandom. This first Season will only be 14 episodes and at the pace were going, there is no way we are making it that far. Only the first arc will be covered. They just shoehorned him in for the fans.
Oct 22, 2019 1:32 PM
Sep 2017
FullyCharged said:
AnimeFlyz said:
This is what the anime has adapted so far
Ep 1 (V1 Ch 1-4)
Ep 2 (V1 Ch 5-7, 10)
Ep 3 (V1 Ch 8, 11-14)

Since you're knowledgeable about the show: where is the prologue of Episode 1, chapter wise?
Is it that far from now?
Is it plausible that we'll reach it before the end of the series?

Answer 1:

Answer 2:

Answer 3:
Oct 26, 2019 1:24 AM

Apr 2016
This was a vastly improvement from the past two episodes.
Oct 28, 2019 10:05 PM

Sep 2017
the anime gets better and better. very adorable.
Oct 29, 2019 8:29 AM

Mar 2012
I'm really liking this show but I wish that they would keep her abilities a bit low, I think it's a bit to convenient that someone simply happened to teach her all those things like making shampoo, weaving a basket, etc. Maybe Japanese kids are taught those things. But on the bright side I love how the series shows her failed attempts of trying to but her literary knowledge into practice.

I wish I would have a sharp memory like her, I can't even remember the contents of a manga I might have read about a year ago XD
Nov 6, 2019 8:30 PM

Sep 2018
Same with Dr. Stone making things, etc. I like show like this .. Her father is funny haha he's jealous to Otto :D
Nov 12, 2019 6:17 AM

Aug 2007
I didnt expect "as an adult" Myne will be giving up so quicky with her papyrus. I wonder how will she obtain the clay for her books.
Dec 2, 2019 8:25 AM

Dec 2014
these cutaways in between are so cute
Dec 10, 2019 7:15 AM

Apr 2011
What a wholesome episode.

Maine making new things is really entertaining. Her dad is also amusing.

I have a bad feeling that the more Maine makes new things, her family will doubt her or something. But the dad seems happy to her active.

Gotta love the scene where she cooks pancakes. I love pancakes.
Dec 17, 2019 7:15 PM

Feb 2018
If Main/Maine/Myne sells the goods (shampoo,pancakes and hair ornamant) she made in this world, she would make lots of money to buy paper for the book.
SceltoDec 17, 2019 7:19 PM
Dec 19, 2019 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
This was just so god damn adorable!
Mar 17, 2020 11:01 AM
Jan 2017
This issekai is pretty good. a bit standard by issekai standards and I gotta say whiel i dont mind that myne has memories of her past life and current life I feel she can be a liiiil bit dumb at times like "oh back in medieval times only nobles could afford to read" she knows fulll well she aint a noble and yet is likw WHHAAAAT no books!?! even though she JUST said people in these kind of times dont have books.

I admire her admiration to make books and eventually get the books she craves,
and FURTHERMORE i goooottta admit this issekai is pretty unique for the sole fact that its the 1st issekai that kind puts a new spin on the "reincarnation trope" cuase she's born into a lil girl who already exists causing her to have 2 sets of memories.
Its interesting. i would hope the original Myne would try to take control of her mind but i doubt that would happen, but heeey that be an interesting premise for a new issekai
Apr 2, 2020 8:46 PM

Jun 2011
Lol. The dad is so emotional.

His possessiveness is annoying though.
Angry_Anime_NerdApr 2, 2020 8:50 PM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Apr 21, 2020 10:07 PM

Jan 2019
I will be crushed if our protagonist isn't burned as a witch at the end of the series.
Jul 11, 2020 11:57 AM

Jul 2015
Have to give props to Otto-san there, aknowledging his mistakes pointed out by a 5-year old something not everyone is willing to do.

Main's dad: 1, Otto: 0. The dad must have reached some new level of happiness there

Dec 20, 2020 9:06 AM
Aug 2020
Is it save to assume that the real Main actually died of a fever and that the MC's soul now inherits her body? That is kinda dark if you think about.
Mar 4, 2021 4:32 PM

Jun 2009
hahaha main's dad is an absolute crackup.
Mar 10, 2021 12:37 PM

Aug 2018
It's so nice to see people experiencing new things in this world.. It's so exciting.. ;P
Again, so nice to see.. Inventions are the best.. ;P
Aug 13, 2021 3:08 PM

Jan 2021
It just keeps getting more better and better.
I’m almost suspicious on how enjoyable this is lol
Sep 22, 2021 3:11 AM

Mar 2013
Myne/Maine is really fascinating to watch, she is inventing things from her old world to this new world of hers, I just hope she won't get overboard and ruin the era she is living in and make it advance even faster, lol. This would turn into a sci-fi lol... XD

This is really getting cringe... XD, well it was Myne's fault for not being cautious of her Dad's feelings. >.<

However, just a single request from Myne would make her Dad full of energy again... hahaha "I've won, Otto" lol :v
CrazyButNot4USep 22, 2021 3:23 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 7, 2022 6:04 AM

May 2020
I actually like the constant chibi artstyle we've here popping up every now and then, which isn't a case usually. Also seems like Myne's making too many things now, but hey try not to go overboard else who knows someone might suspect a few things or two.
May 30, 2022 8:34 AM

Apr 2009
So we got pancakes for the medieval peasants now...from their bird food no less.

And arithmetic, did she do their numbers in our RL Hindu-Arabic numeral system (base-ten)?

The hairpin ornament for Tuuli was a nice gesture.

She must be getting weirder to her family's eyes every time she comes up with an invention or innovation but they'll put up with because she's family...until it becomes disruptive or somebody spouts demon influence and the Inquisition comes or whatever the equal of those in this world.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 12, 2022 2:58 AM
May 2022
This father-guy was pretty cool imo
Jan 2, 2023 2:20 PM

Dec 2012
Otto-san: 2. Otou-san: 1. Sorry Gunther, but you haven't won yet!

This series is definitely making me more appreciative of the work that once went into simply living. I'm especially enjoying how Myne's innovations are adding flavor to everyday life without undermining the customs of her new family. I'm finding myself admiring both Myne's creativity as well as the humble way of life that keeps the family so tight-knit.
Apr 11, 2023 8:41 AM
Feb 2021
kinda interesting having a fragile main character but still quite slow build-up of the story really only a show for isekai enjoyers
Jul 14, 2023 7:25 AM

Jul 2016
She really went "might as well make use of dad's clinginess to help me" lol

They really got me in the mood for a hot pancake (or parue cake) on a cold winter day and it's the middle of summer
Oct 6, 2023 5:17 AM
Jan 2023
Another brilliant episode, they really did manage to fit quite a lot in this episode without breaking the pacing.

So Myne is able to make pancakes (with a little help from a friend), baskets better than her sister even on her first attempt and hair pins. She even used her charms on her dad to get him to make her a needle to make those hair pins. Oh and she even corrected Otto's maths. Seems the medieval world just isn't ready for the 21st century knowledge.

Seems Otto managed to get himself in some sort of war without even knowing, pretty funny really.
Feb 20, 12:48 PM

Mar 2019
This episode was an absolute cuteness overload. It's nice seeing her make more and more things. I wonder if/when it will have consequences outside the household.
OωO
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime or manga

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 26

6 by Phoenix35 »»
Mar 29, 3:25 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2019

74 by Paczek-12 »»
Feb 21, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2019

188 by Kvistis »»
Feb 14, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

98 by kal_dev »»
Feb 2, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2019

67 by Acradis »»
Jan 29, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.