Forum Settings
Forums

The Sub vs. Dub Debate: Do Dubs Sound "Wrong" To You?

New
Oct 16, 2019 8:50 AM

Sep 2018
I have no desire to add fuel to the fire, but the website where I watched anime uploads both the Subbed and Dubbed versions of shows (assuming they even get dubbed). I have watched anime almost exclusively in Subtitles since I started watching, but I don't have anything objectively wrong with the idea of watching dubs.

However, when I try to watch even 2 minutes of a dubbed episode, as compared to the subbed version, the voice acting just Feels Entirely Wrong.

Maybe it's a personal bias and I don't realize it, but I feel like Japanese VAs generally do a far better job of expressing tone and emotion which is why I prefer subs.
Blanks.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 16, 2019 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
Don't watch a dub after you've seen the sub. You'll inevitably prefer the version you're used to. (Similarly, watching the sub after the dub yields the same result.) If you want to try dubs without bias, check one out for a show that you haven't seen before, preferably a dub that is also widely praised. You can then make a good judgement about whether dubs are for you.
Oct 16, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2019
Most Dubs are horrible because of the lack of emotion/expression in them. Also, Most Dubs sound like someone is talking to you like you're a child. They're Dry asf.
Oct 16, 2019 9:04 AM

Jul 2019
Japanese voice actors are light years ahead of English speaking actors. Anime lose at least 83 percent of it's magic when it's not in Japanese
Oct 16, 2019 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
When I first started watching anime, I'd watch the English Dubs for the most part. (I was quite young though so this was my preferred way to consume anime.) Then I hit a certain point where Dubbed anime felt off to me, but this seemed to be a temporary dissatisfaction with the English Dubbed versions of anime, as I am now able to interchange between the two without any issues. I think there is something more satisfying about watching Subbed anime because putting focus on the subtitles forces more concentration and attention on the screen. However, there have been countless anime I watched in English without finding them boring to watch.
Oct 16, 2019 9:14 AM

Jul 2013
when i want to multi-task, i watch dub. so i can listen to the show while doing something else. but usually i watch subs.

operationvalkyri said:
Don't watch a dub after you've seen the sub. You'll inevitably prefer the version you're used to. (Similarly, watching the sub after the dub yields the same result.) If you want to try dubs without bias, check one out for a show that you haven't seen before, preferably a dub that is also widely praised. You can then make a good judgement about whether dubs are for you.

^ i agree
Oct 16, 2019 9:15 AM

Jun 2016
It seems to me that familiarity is important. I grew up watching greek dubs on TV and even though the line delivery can be hit or miss it doesn't sound "wrong" to me because for a time that was the only option I had and I got used to it. Transitioning to japanese was easy since it felt like this was the way the show was supposed to sound. Hearing english dubbed trailers on the other hand sounds wrong which is weird since I watch english language hollywood films all the time. I guess my mind has connected the peculiar intonation/inflection of japanese and greek with anime.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 16, 2019 9:16 AM

Jan 2010
I don't watch dub much because I have this opinion that "any kind of creation is best to be enjoyed in it's origin country". Things like lost in translation and stuff. This alone is enough reason to watch subs.

I did watch BnHA english dub (after I watched sub). The VA wasn't bad and it gave you differrent experience when you can watch the entire scenes without having to read subtitles. HOWEVER, if you're used to Japanese VA, the lack of emotion in their voice is pretty GLARING. Some worse than others. It's not bad. But Japanese VA noticably SOO much better.

As for dub in my own native language. It's a joke. English dub is incredibly amazing compared to it.

Both has advantage and disadvantage imo.

With subs, the advantage is you get high quality voice acting, if you know japanese, you will get the scenes better especially if comedy.

With dubs, the advantage is, you will have undivided attention to the scenes bcs you don't have to read subs, which can boost your enjoyment. And hearing words in your native language will have greater impact bcs you will understand everything directly, you don't have any additional thing to process first before the impact get you, you will have better focus on the feel and enjoyment you get from what on the screen.
Oct 16, 2019 9:20 AM

Dec 2015
I agree with Water-Sama.
When it comes to dub it's quality over quantity.

The quality doesn't really matter, it's better to dub 20-25 shows each season and as fast as possible.

It do exist dub verison out there that's good but it's shows that funimation voice-actors have nothing to do with.

Oct 16, 2019 9:21 AM

Feb 2019
it depends on what you've been accustomed to. the reason Most dub sound so bad is that Not everything translates perfectly from Japanese to English, not just specific words, Certain concepts, and idioms can get lost in translation too, that said not all dub Anime sounds terrible, there are some good ones like Baccano, Full Metal Panic, Shimoneta & Hellsing Ultimate.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Oct 16, 2019 9:23 AM
Feb 2019
I'm very nervous about dubs. I generally really, REALLY want shows to be dubbed right, so we won't listen to Japanese only that sounds like mumble-jumble to us mostly (even if we understand some words, we still can't learn it purely from some talking). But whenever I think about choosing a dub, I give myself the question "What if the dub is not able to convey the same emotions/expressions?". It's very rare when a dub basically conveys it the same or even better way. I'm particularly also not a very emotional person, so voice acting is something that must help me aswell if I want to feel something to particular scenes.
Oct 16, 2019 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
i do like dubs more but i dont watch them because of noisy environment.
Oct 16, 2019 9:32 AM

May 2009
BallisticRiot said:
The Sub vs. Dub Debate: Do Dubs Sound "Wrong" To You?
Dubs do not sound inherently "wrong" to me.

BallisticRiot said:
I have no desire to add fuel to the fire, but the website where I watched anime uploads both the Subbed and Dubbed versions of shows (assuming they even get dubbed). I have watched anime almost exclusively in Subtitles since I started watching, but I don't have anything objectively wrong with the idea of watching dubs.

However, when I try to watch even 2 minutes of a dubbed episode, as compared to the subbed version, the voice acting just Feels Entirely Wrong.

Maybe it's a personal bias and I don't realize it, but I feel like Japanese VAs generally do a far better job of expressing tone and emotion which is why I prefer subs.
I think you're just used to the Japanese voicework.

Nothing wrong with that either. Just a matter of taste, as is this whole "debate".

operationvalkyri said:
That's certainly one approach to get a 'clean slate', yeah.

Though the most interesting ones are the comparisons where someone's seen a lot of both versions. Unfortunately, there's no way to get both voicework channels at the same, in any coherent way, so one has to come first.

So I think the most interesting cases are where I've started watching one thing first then switched to the other and liked it better the second way. Since that obviously goes against the priming bias.
GlennMagusHarveyOct 16, 2019 9:37 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 16, 2019 9:35 AM

Feb 2019
Dubs sound awful except if it's a popular anime in the west.

Tanaros said:
For me it's quite the opposite... Japanese dubs sound "wrong" to me. I just can't stand the constant overacting...

Japanese 'dubs' lol
Oct 16, 2019 9:36 AM

Sep 2009
I prefer subs all the way but there are some anime that people cannot watch subbed because of they grew up on the dubs. When DB Super started, I watched it subbed and recommended it to people, but they said they couldn't watch it because of seiyus doing the voices for Goku and his kids. (Blasphemy, I say disrespecting her).

Other shows like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh etc have a strong dub following because that is they grew up on the dubs.
Oct 16, 2019 9:40 AM

May 2009
Water-sama said:
Most Dubs are horrible because of the lack of emotion/expression in them. Also, Most Dubs sound like someone is talking to you like you're a child. They're Dry asf.
I would disagree with this quite strongly, but you do you I guess.
Oct 16, 2019 9:43 AM

Jun 2019
I still like some dubs, but my willingness to give dubbed anime a try is almost diminished at this point. I think it's safe to say that many of us started watching anime in dubbed, whether on TV or otherwise. But as we dig deeper, we tend to find shows that haven't been dubbed at all, leaving us with no choice but to watch it subbed. And about 98% of us just get used to subbed anime as time goes on.

I wouldn't call dubs "wrong" to hear, but the exact term I'm looking for wouldn't be that different. Specially the case with women voice acting in dubs, it almost never works for me and it even sounds too weebish, no offence.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Oct 16, 2019 9:43 AM

Oct 2017
Dubs sound weird at first but if they're reasonable I can get used to them. I've watched part of FMAB dubbed and it felt pretty natural after a couple of episodes. Stuff like Pokemon, Digimon and Yugioh seem fine dubbed just because I'm used to the idea of them being dubbed and have experienced the odd episode before.
Oct 16, 2019 9:44 AM
Jan 2017
Yes, they do. The VAs have no emotion in their voice, which disables me from making a stronger connection to the characters in said show. If I can't feel the soul of their character, than I have a hard time getting attached.
Oct 16, 2019 9:46 AM

Oct 2019
it definitely takes away from my immersion to hear the same 4-5 english voice actors going at every show.. vic mignogna is the worst with this, every role he takes my mind defaults back to his edward elric acting

since i don't know japanese and i only get the (general) tone down when i'm listening to subs, i never notice that repetition of voice actors (can't easily recognize voice actors in a language i don't know, i guess?)

EDIT: reading this back it's hard to explain why it's different from just movie actors taking different roles.. like with will smith and nick cage, actors that take a lot of roles and give pretty similar performances in all of those roles, i think of those movies as "will smith x2" (gemini man) or "cop will smith with orcs" (bright). it feels like a lot of anime dub voice actors give the same performances over and over

i'm not someone to make fun of people who listen to dubs, and i love the accessibility they provide. i just hate listening to them myself (with occasional exceptions like baccano)
milkbOct 16, 2019 9:51 AM
Oct 16, 2019 9:48 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah. Feels really fake and forced, I know exactly where you're coming from.

Oct 16, 2019 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
Gulogulo said:
Japanese voice actors are light years ahead of English speaking actors. Anime lose at least 83 percent of it's magic when it's not in Japanese

I think it's 87 percent

I only watch dub if it's an anime I don't care about and I want to watch in the background while having dinner or something
Oct 16, 2019 9:51 AM
Jul 2018

English dub at it's finest
Oct 16, 2019 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
operationvalkyri said:
That's certainly one approach to get a 'clean slate', yeah.

Though the most interesting ones are the comparisons where someone's seen a lot of both versions. Unfortunately, there's no way to get both voicework channels at the same, in any coherent way, so one has to come first.

So I think the most interesting cases are where I've started watching one thing first then switched to the other and liked it better the second way. Since that obviously goes against the priming bias.

We had a very similar discussion on another sub vs dub thread where we listed some shows we had seen in both languages and described why we preferred one over the other. I like doing such a comparison. The analyst in me enjoys taking apart performances and identifying why one worked for me while the other didn't. The OP, though, first needs to check whether they can stomach English dub at all, for which I will again recommend the 'clean slate' approach, as you aptly called it.
Oct 16, 2019 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
As already has been stated in this thread, yes, after having watched subs for so many years, dubs do feel inferior for me as a viewer. I feel that unless the dubbing is too good (even when it's that good, I still prefer subs), there feels a lack of right level of emotion, the nuances of intonations, and mere naturalness prevalent in subs (even when the voice acting is too childish or comical or too sweet to handle). I also love hearing Japanese language a lot, anime with subs just feels and sounds perfect for me.

Oct 16, 2019 10:17 AM

Jun 2014
Dubs sound just fine to me. I've been watching dubs for as long as I've been watching Anime. I recently watched "Kanata no Astra" and "Kochouki: Wakaki Nobunaga" dubbed, and they were fine.

Water-sama said:

This is absolute BS. How can you hear emotion in subbed Anime, if you can't even understand Japanese? If anything, I can't hear any emotion in Japanese voice acting.

Oct 16, 2019 11:44 AM

May 2009
Seiya said:
Dubs sound just fine to me. I've been watching dubs for as long as I've been watching Anime. I recently watched "Kanata no Astra" and "Kochouki: Wakaki Nobunaga" dubbed, and they were fine.

Water-sama said:

This is absolute BS. How can you hear emotion in subbed Anime, if you can't even understand Japanese? If anything, I can't hear any emotion in Japanese voice acting.
It's possible to hear some emotion in the delivery of a language one can't understand, but it's more coarse of an understanding, because it lacks dimensions like word choice.
Oct 16, 2019 11:49 AM

Apr 2015
To be honest, english voices don't fit anime characters
WeisserSchnee2Oct 16, 2019 12:03 PM
Oct 16, 2019 11:50 AM

Jun 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Seiya said:

It's possible to hear some emotion in the delivery of a language one can't understand, but it's more coarse of an understanding, because it lacks dimensions like word choice.

I suppose, but for example, when an Anime character screams in Japanese, it's hard to take it seriously, because the character tends to sound rather insane most of the time.

@Lululand: Okay, that's a bit too extreme.

Oct 16, 2019 11:54 AM

Jun 2014
Lululand said:
Seiya said:

I suppose, but for example, when an Anime character screams in Japanese, it's hard to take it seriously, because the character tends to sound rather insane most of the time.

@Lululand: Okay, that's a bit too extreme.

I'm sorry, but I'm a 100% against dubbing.

I'm sorry, but saying that someone "didn't watch the show" if they watched it dubbed is ridiculous.

People can watch Anime in any language they want. What's next, are you going to say that people who watch Anime dubbed shouldn't be allowed to write reviews?

Oct 16, 2019 11:58 AM

Jun 2014
Lululand said:
Seiya said:

I'm sorry, but saying that someone "didn't watch the show" if they watched it dubbed is ridiculous.

People can watch Anime in any language they want. What's next, are you going to say that people who watch Anime dubbed shouldn't be allowed to write reviews?

Yes, they can. But they're not watching the show. That's simple.

And yes, they shouldn't be allowed.

You're old enough to have seen more than your share of dubbed Anime. How can you hate it so much? Also, what is your native language?

Oct 16, 2019 11:59 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
ever since I got used to Japanese voice acting (took about 1 series) dubs has sounded stiff and lifeless
Oct 16, 2019 12:00 PM

May 2018
Depends on the director. If I'm being 100% honest if there's a dub voice I dislike I pin it on the director and not the actor themselves.
Oct 16, 2019 12:08 PM
May 2018
nah, I just watch the the version that sounds better. Fairy Tail(dub), JoJo (sub), FMAB (dub), Naruto (sub)
Oct 16, 2019 12:09 PM
Jan 2017
Seiya said:

Water-sama said:

Are you implying that the only way we can understand emotion is through words we understand? Because THAT would be bs, not anything OP said. Emotion doesn't come through words; it's through our expression and tone. By your logic sarcasm cannot exist because the only emotion we can sense is through the literal words we hear. And another thing, if emotion is only able to be understood through familiar words, then how can we understand what a dog is feeling? Because they convey it to us through other means. The same applies for people.

When I hear a Japanese voice actor, there is genuine emotion in their voice, like they've truly become one with the character's thoughts and feelings. In other words, they put their soul into it. But when I hear an English voice actor, their voice is devoid of any feeling. I feel a separation between VA and character that I would never feel from most Japanese voice actors. They're heart just isn't in it. Bad voice acting makes it hard to connect with the character on any sort of level. Good voice acting does the opposite: you feel a connection with the character. That's why many people dislike most dubs.
Oct 16, 2019 12:13 PM

Dec 2016
Normally is always better to see something in is original form (and the majoraty of dubs are bad,my opinion but i think is a fact). I just dont k how some people say dubs are better, because objectively they dont are--the reason its the diiference of this job in japan and the other countries.And like people already said : its lack emotion and many other things.
Oct 16, 2019 12:16 PM

Jan 2009
its just different in the tones/pitch of languages imo like clearly the japanese language can be spoken with more emotional intensity with its Rs while the english language can be soft spoken
Oct 16, 2019 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Seiya said:

Are you implying that the only way we can understand emotion is through words we understand? Because THAT would be bs, not anything OP said. Emotion doesn't come through words; it's through our expression and tone. By your logic sarcasm cannot exist because the only emotion we can sense is through the literal words we hear. And another thing, if emotion is only able to be understood through familiar words, then how can we understand what a dog is feeling? Because they convey it to us through other means. The same applies for people.

When I hear a Japanese voice actor, there is genuine emotion in their voice, like they've truly become one with the character's thoughts and feelings. In other words, they put their soul into it. But when I hear an English voice actor, their voice is devoid of any feeling. I feel a separation between VA and character that I would never feel from most Japanese voice actors. They're heart just isn't in it. Bad voice acting makes it hard to connect with the character on any sort of level. Good voice acting does the opposite: you feel a connection with the character. That's why many people dislike most dubs.

By saying that English voice actors are "devoid of any feeling," you're pretty much cancelling out your entire argument.

Oct 16, 2019 12:20 PM
Jan 2017
Seiya said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:

By saying that English voice actors are "devoid of any feeling," you're pretty much cancelling out your entire argument.
How so? I feel as though it proves my argument even further as it shows that even while still retaining the same words the emotion doesn't carry across because emotion isn't carried solely through words. English VAs are just bad at conveying emotion because they don't know how to truly put themselves in their characters shoes.

You sure you didn't just bs that reply to my argument, cause it sounds like you just made up a reply because you couldn't think of anything genuinely logical.
Oct 16, 2019 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Seiya said:

How so? I feel as though it proves my argument even further as it shows that even while still retaining the same words the emotion doesn't carry across because emotion isn't carried solely through words. English VAs are just bad at conveying emotion because they don't know how to truly put themselves in their characters shoes.

You sure you didn't just bs that reply to my argument, cause it sounds like you just made up a reply because you couldn't think of anything genuinely logical.

Lol.

I don't hate subbed Anime, and in fact, I watch a lot of it. I also listen to Japanese music, and I have a small collection of 70s & 80s J-Pop LP records which I imported from Japan, but I can still appreciate English voice acting, and those who say that they cannot are delusional in my opinion.

Oct 16, 2019 12:30 PM
Jan 2017
Seiya said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:

Lol.

I don't hate subbed Anime, and in fact, I watch a lot of it. I also listen to Japanese music, and I have a small collection of 70s & 80s J-Pop LP records which I imported from Japan, but I can still appreciate English voice acting, and those who say that they cannot are delusional in my opinion.
Any comparison between english anime voice acting and actual english cartoon voice acting will reveal the difference in emotion, but if you want to keep thinking that there's some feeling in anime dubs, then you do you.
Oct 16, 2019 12:32 PM

Jun 2014
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

Any comparison between english anime voice acting and actual english cartoon voice acting will reveal the difference in emotion, but if you want to keep thinking that there's some feeling in anime dubs, then you do you.

I don't "think" that there's emotion in English dubs, because there certainly is emotion in them.

How old are you, and what country are you from?

Oct 16, 2019 12:39 PM

May 2009
Lululand said:
Seiya said:

Yes, they can. But they're not watching the show. That's simple.

And yes, they shouldn't be allowed.
I think being told what language/format a reviewer watched a show in can be useful information to put that reviewer's information into perspective.

But outright barring them? No.
Oct 16, 2019 12:40 PM

May 2009
Nine-TailedJosh said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

The emotions are different because the plotlines and story content are different.

Doesn't mean the voice acting lacks emotion. Perhaps it just lacks the emotion (or emotional expression) you'd like to hear.
Oct 16, 2019 12:44 PM

May 2009
Xstasy said:
I'm fine if people prefer to watch anime dubbed but clamming that is superior to Sub is false in vast majority of cases.
TL;DR Raw > Sub > Dub
That statement is false -- or more accurately, that general statement is neither true nor false -- because "superiority" means nothing without a choice of criteria, and that choice of criteria is subjective.

Or in other words, it's a matter of what people want from watching anime, and different people may want different things.
Oct 16, 2019 12:46 PM

Mar 2017
It depends entirely on the dub. You've got Cowboy Bebop on one end of the scale, Garzey's Wing on the other, and a whole lot of space in-between.

There was a period in time when good dubs were non-existent, but I think we're past that now. Only sub elitists still try to claim all dubs are shit.

As for, 'watching something subbed then dubbed', any time you switch from one to the other, it's going to feel weird, unless one dub was very bad. Hell, I watched the first episodes of N.G.E. dubbed, and despite that dub being pretty bad, watching it subbed weirded me out, because I already had ideas about what the characters were supposed to sound like. Felt the same way when I watched the Watamote Special subbed after watching the entire series dubbed.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Oct 16, 2019 12:48 PM

Jul 2013
This debate is stupid, and OP is stupid as well
Oct 16, 2019 12:53 PM

May 2009
bledsoe60 said:
This debate is stupid, and OP is stupid as well
I don't see what's so stupid about the OP:

BallisticRiot said:

Seems fine.
Oct 16, 2019 1:04 PM

Feb 2014
English dubs sound terrible to me. The voice actors, for some reason, in pretty much all of them speak in that weird, typical English dub sing-song speech pattern that just sounds really flat, emotionless, and unnatural. Who even talks like that? There is no real acting involved. They simply use that "template" to create the illusion of emotions, through those weird formulaic inflections in their voice, without actually emoting.
Oct 16, 2019 1:58 PM
Jan 2017
Seiya said:
Nine-TailedJosh said:

I don't "think" that there's emotion in English dubs, because there certainly is emotion in them.

How old are you, and what country are you from?
Ah, you're one of those people who ask for age so they can pretend they know more because of their supposed superior intellect and life experience. You're just looking for anything to invalidate my point and validate yours. I'm not buying into your bait, sorry.

And if you think the way dub voice actors act when they're distressed or happy or amused or literally experiencing literally any emotion is in any way reminiscent of how a real life person would act then you're either ignorant or you yourself are emotionally void.

I don't think there's any point in discussing this any further though. We simply have different views that I think we both will not change. I tried to end the argument with my last response, but you must be the type who's eager to continue arguing with someone even after it's over. I'll try again. If you think it has emotion, then you do you. I don't. That's it. You can't change my mind, and I doubt I can change yours. No need to needlessly carry this on any longer.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

13 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

20 by Lhundrup »»
38 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

37 by Lockensocke »»
45 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

30 by IpreferEcchi »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.