Forum Settings
Forums

What is the best motive you know of a villain in anime?

New
Oct 15, 2019 12:25 PM
Nov 2017
Just wanted to know who you guys think is the best villain who had an actual justifiable motive
Oct 15, 2019 12:42 PM

Jan 2019
I'd say Johan, from Monster, but I'm not gonna say why, read Monster hehe

Oct 15, 2019 12:46 PM

Jan 2009
Madara? he wanted to create a magical The Matrix to end suffering

but ye his ways are bad that if follows the end justify the means

and when it comes to red pill vs blue pill then the Naruto group choose the red pill
Oct 15, 2019 12:51 PM
Nov 2017
TheoPKTNS said:

Oh I am actually watching monster rn. I am only at episode 30 but I fuckin love this series. They haven't revealed the motive behind his work yet tho.
Oct 15, 2019 12:57 PM

Jan 2019
Rimuruwu said:
TheoPKTNS said:

Oh I am actually watching monster rn. I am only at episode 30 but I fuckin love this series. They haven't revealed the motive behind his work yet tho.

When you finish you should search some videos because there are some things that are left in the air and it's important information that you should know

Oct 15, 2019 1:00 PM

Apr 2016
Probably Griffith from Berserk. He remains a piece of shit by the way, that’s need to be clear xD
Oct 15, 2019 1:00 PM
Nov 2017
TheoPKTNS said:
Rimuruwu said:

When you finish you should search some videos because there are some things that are left in the air and it's important information that you should know
TheoPKTNS said:
Rimuruwu said:

Ah I sure will check.
Thank you so much for reminding me uwu
Oct 15, 2019 1:14 PM

May 2019
That Hero Killer dude from Boku no Hero Academia.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 15, 2019 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
Squealer from Shinsekai Yori probably. Kumagawa from Medaka Box is interesting too in terms of motive.
Oct 15, 2019 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
Snake of the Festival always the correct choice honestly
Oct 15, 2019 4:55 PM

Apr 2016
Yoshii from Texhnolyze is a pretty cool dude
Oct 15, 2019 5:02 PM

Oct 2018
I dunno if its count as villain...

Light Yagami from Death Note, somehow his motivation to eradicate evil is really click with my younger self, until he turn full megalomaniac.

Of course now i understand how depraved and tyrannical he is.
Oct 15, 2019 5:21 PM

Nov 2011
Antagonists in Magi, from Reim to Magnostaddt to
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 15, 2019 5:34 PM

Jul 2019
Definitively Johan from Monster.
@TheoPKTNS those are just theories, even though really interesting. Even without watching those his motives are really good imo.

Honorable mention to Genya from Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I like a lot of antagonists but rarely do they have truly good motives.
Oct 15, 2019 5:39 PM

Jul 2017
Yoshikage Kira. The poor guy just needed a hand.

Oct 15, 2019 5:48 PM

Aug 2015
Funny Valentine from Steel Ball Run: I HATE patriotism but this guy is just on another level that I can´t help but love.

Griffith: Machiavelli as a character, but with his own motives as well.

Squealer from Shinsekai Yori just blew my mind when I saw the anime.

Those three are justifiable for me, but then there are guys like Kirei from Fate or Teach from One Piece who are questionable but I can´t stop cheering from them giving how much charisma they have.
Oct 15, 2019 6:31 PM

Sep 2017
Squealer from Shinsekai Yori indeed

I don't know if you can consider him a villain after finding out what his motivations were
Oct 15, 2019 6:38 PM

Apr 2018
I don't know if it was the best motive, but Sunako Kirishiki from Shiki had a pretty shit life and how she went about things was understandable.

I'm aware her actions are pretty reprehensible, but when you live well over a hundred years completely alone, and all you want is a family or community to not feel like an outsider in, you'll do almost anything

A ton of people got really excited when she was about to die, but all I could do was pity her.

Then again, she's on my favorites list, so I guess I'm a bit biased.
Oct 15, 2019 6:55 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
Of course—to unite the whole world under one object of hate: himself.

A villainous protagonist—which many people know...

LELOUCH.
Oct 15, 2019 10:30 PM

May 2013
Timeless- said:
Squealer from Shinsekai Yori probably. Kumagawa from Medaka Box is interesting too in terms of motive.

This is a great one, definitely second this. One of my favorite animes because of squealer and the whole situation with equality.

I'm not sure if any anime I've seen tops his motive as a villian.
Oct 15, 2019 10:43 PM

Dec 2018
I don't know if this is the best but;

Akane Shinjo from SSSS.Gridman, she just wants friends and people that understand her. Also, she(the antagonist) is the main character.
Oct 15, 2019 11:29 PM

Jul 2016
Makishima Shougo from Psycho Pass since he wants to tear down an inherently broken system. He's definitely a horrible person and he knows he's doing it for the lulz but it's hard not to understand where he is coming.

DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
I don't know if it was the best motive, but Sunako Kirishiki from Shiki had a pretty shit life and how she went about things was understandable.

I'm aware her actions are pretty reprehensible, but when you live well over a hundred years completely alone, and all you want is a family or community to not feel like an outsider in, you'll do almost anything

A ton of people got really excited when she was about to die, but all I could do was pity her.

Then again, she's on my favorites list, so I guess I'm a bit biased.

Spread the word of Shiki, my friend.

Oct 16, 2019 12:48 AM

Oct 2019
Koko Hekmatyar of Jormungand. She's an arms dealer for the sake of world peace.
Oct 16, 2019 5:19 AM

Jul 2019
Yoshikage Kira. He truly felt like a real person sometimes. His motive was pretty simple, he just wanted to live a quiet life. It is not some grand plan where the objective is to enslave or dominate the earth like DIO.
Oct 16, 2019 5:38 AM

Jul 2016
I'm not as big a fan of so-called 'complex' villains. They can be fun, they can be scary and they can be interesting but, for me at least, they'll never be more entertaining than just a straight up bad guy. Someone plain and simple who gets a kick out of ruining someone else's day. Ragyou Kiriyuuin. She wants to feed the entire planet to an giant alien entity. Or Yoshikage Kira. He just wants to live quietly, but his sexual fetish is making it very difficult.
Oct 16, 2019 5:45 AM

Oct 2010
Noein, he only wants to be with his gf, and because she dies in every parallel universe he decides to destroy all universes and keep his gf in a newly created one. Motivated by pure love.

And Suitengu from Speed Grapher, when you hear his tragic story you understand that he wasn't evil and he didn't even kill bad guys.
Oct 16, 2019 5:49 AM
Dec 2017
Makishima shougo and I'm too lazy to explain so just watch the show :)
Oct 16, 2019 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
Oct 16, 2019 4:06 PM

Oct 2008
Roberta (Black Lagoon)
The americans killed her master, she is justified, to kill them.

Goblins (Goblin Slayer)
It's in their nature, they can't help their savagery.

Altair (Re:Creators)
Ah the irony of how strong a villain is made, by the people she wishes to annihilate.

Momonga (Overlord)
It makes him cool, the crueleur he is.

Drai (Requiem for the phantom)
She is such a likable villain, just can't help but root for her.

The guy from "Kenja no Mago" is also justified, not that I like him or anything.
Oct 16, 2019 4:38 PM

Nov 2007
Takasugi Shinsuke from Gintama.

Char Aznable (Red Comet) from Gundam.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 16, 2019 4:49 PM

Jan 2017
Dessler Yamato 2202

Oct 16, 2019 4:58 PM

May 2018
Squealer from shin sekai yori has the right motive.
Oct 16, 2019 5:14 PM

Jul 2013
Makishima from Psycho-Pass. He hated the way the Sibyl System had stripped humanity of "the naked splendor of the human soul" and he sought ways to stimulate that soul, through connecting those with the intent to go against the system with those who had the means to make that possible. After learning the true nature of the Sibyl System, he made an effort to unravel it completely by targeting it's weakest point. Sure, there was personal enjoyment and arguably some whimsy in his sentiments, he was a sociopath, but the overall message he sends is one which has stuck with me above all other villains
Oct 16, 2019 5:22 PM

May 2019
Villains technically can't have justifiable motives. Or at least very good justifications. Otherwise they cease to be villains and are just antagonists.
Anyway, I'm privy to utilitarianism gone a bit too far justifications like the anti-spirals from Gurren Lagann. The other option is for everyone involved to be pretty scummy in a dog eat dog world.
Oct 16, 2019 5:50 PM

Jul 2019
HectorBlaze said:
Probably Griffith from Berserk. He remains a piece of shit by the way, that’s need to be clear xD

+1
Looking what he is doing now in the current arc, Im kinda support him, but still cant forget by the way how he achieved that.
Oct 16, 2019 6:03 PM

Jul 2013
Freshell said:
Villains technically can't have justifiable motives. Or at least very good justifications. Otherwise they cease to be villains and are just antagonists.
Anyway, I'm privy to utilitarianism gone a bit too far justifications like the anti-spirals from Gurren Lagann. The other option is for everyone involved to be pretty scummy in a dog eat dog world.

That technical distinction you speak of doesn't really exist, the villain is simply someone who's actions or motivations are pivotal to the plot and tend to be met negatively by the the other characters. But then we get into semantics, which is a silly way to go about argumentation
Oct 16, 2019 6:11 PM

Mar 2012
Squealer for me.

Still love others one. (Anotsu , Char, Johann Liebert, Makishima etc..)
Oct 16, 2019 6:16 PM

May 2019
bledsoe60 said:
Freshell said:

That technical distinction you speak of doesn't really exist, the villain is simply someone who's actions or motivations are pivotal to the plot and tend to be met negatively by the the other characters. But then we get into semantics, which is a silly way to go about argumentation

It's typically described as a character who is evil and is pivotal to the plot. Usually understood to mean evil in a universally accepted sense. But I can see what you mean in that a character can take up the role of a villain in a functional sense if everyone else in the story seems to act like they're evil. I would just prefer to identify which characters are our protagonists and which are antagonists, avoiding moral language when evilness isn't obvious.
Oct 16, 2019 6:23 PM

Jul 2017
zuko from avatar the last airbender lmaooooo
Oct 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Jan 2019
I wonder how many people are going to say Madara Uchiha.
He tried to save the world in his own retarded way.
Take away chakra and put everyone under genjustsu.
He had good intentions, truly he did though.
Oct 16, 2019 7:32 PM

Sep 2018
Tales of the Abyss
Van
Oct 16, 2019 7:33 PM
Oct 2017
zieek said:

The guy from "Kenja no Mago" is also justified, not that I like him or anything.

Honestly yeah no matter how garbage that show was he was a pretty simple and justified guy,
Oct 16, 2019 7:40 PM

Sep 2019
Morganna Mode Gone(.Hack) I love how since she's basiclly the operating system for the whole world, her cannibalizing herself caused a worldwide crisis as she ruins herself because she's stuck in a logic error.

Festum(Fafner)
They are so fundamentally different from humans definition of life they are unaware that what is communication to them is genocide from a human pov
Oct 16, 2019 7:43 PM
Jul 2018
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. One man's villain is another man's freedom fighter or however the saying goes.
Oct 16, 2019 8:03 PM
Dec 2018
Ajin - Satou
Bleach - Gin

honorable mention: Xu Que from ultimate scheming system(strongest anti meta) :>
Oct 17, 2019 8:35 PM

Jan 2019
Shiro Amakusa from Fate/Apocrypha. He knew that the world is Fucked so to fix it he wanted to put everyone into a world where they didn't have Physical Bodies so people wouldn't have to endure physical pain. Which meant, He'd use the Grail to Snatch everyone's SOULS (for lack of a better name) right out of their BODIES.

-Fuck what anybody says, I agree with him.
-Nobody else has a better solution.
-Shiro is the Good Guy in my Book.

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

97 by DesuMaiden »»
10 seconds ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

31 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

35 by delirific »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

16 by Horizon06 »»
7 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

15 by W3TFT »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.