Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2019 2:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The past and present connects players in this series. Furuya looked very focused this episode.

About the female managers, I think it's kinda amusing to see them converse about the players, baseball, etc.
Oct 15, 2019 3:26 AM

Dec 2013
Recap was just recap...

The managers reaction to finding out what Sawamura/Furuya are like in class was amusing.
Oct 15, 2019 3:30 AM
Sep 2015
It's recap as I was afraid, anyway there are two interesting point.

1. That girl that talk about Hongo all the time is my spirit animal, how can anyone not talking about Hongo, he's the beast in the field and on the bed...

2. Yes, finally someone mentioned that the catcher is like 'wife' role, this show rarely give us any fanservice so I'll take every little hint as canon.
Oct 15, 2019 3:42 AM

Oct 2009
Did we really need a recap at this point? I mean, dunno, it feels like it's been ages since Act II started (and it indeed has been more than half a year, we're more than half into the series too), but... not that much has happened? At least the events this episode covered weren't things anyone forgot. I think. It felt a bit like a blank filler.

Catcher being the wife though~ lmao no comment.

Now, if they don't bring BLOOM OF YOUTH back in the next episode in some way, I'm gonna be miffed. One of the best songs (if not THE BEST) of all the Daiya OPs/EDs, and with that episode title-.... please!
yellowheartrenOct 15, 2019 3:49 AM
Oct 15, 2019 3:43 AM

Oct 2017
Sigh a recap episode but o well it was gd to see those moments and the girls chatting.
Oct 15, 2019 4:40 AM

Jul 2012
Of course we get slapped with recap.

By the way, what is the IDEA of recap episode? Like it happens to a lot of series, but what's the reason/purpose? Does the studio need some free time?
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2019 5:09 AM

May 2012
its Mad house they can't live without making a recap , every Anime they make have at least one ..

Oct 15, 2019 5:20 AM

Dec 2016
The narration was going a little too fast. With this rhythm 52 episodes would have been too many and the anime would have passed a certain moment in the manga.
In my opinion they don't want to start the summer tournament, they want to stop before and so they "wasted" an episode
Salvaju29roOct 15, 2019 5:24 AM
Oct 15, 2019 6:44 AM

Jul 2014
Recap moment recap moment

bruh
Oct 15, 2019 6:58 AM

Feb 2011
yellowheartren said:
Did we really need a recap at this point? I mean, dunno, it feels like it's been ages since Act II started (and it indeed has been more than half a year, we're more than half into the series too), but... not that much has happened? At least the events this episode covered weren't things anyone forgot. I think. It felt a bit like a blank filler.

EXACTLY. It's been constantly going downhill ever since the senpais retired, this season is so low budget that they have to do 2 recap episodes and they aren't even capable of changing the OP/ED in 30 damn episodes. Also as you said there's literally not much happening, we haven't even had much baseball going on in 30 episodes even though this is a baseball anime. How can one series go from being decent to mind numbingly boring so fast is beyond me. Just put it out of its misery already. At this point for me watching this feels like a drag considering Ahiru no Sora and Hoshiai no Sora are both sports anime out this season and they're both miles better than Daiya no Ace at this point.

HDVision said:
Of course we get slapped with recap.

By the way, what is the IDEA of recap episode? Like it happens to a lot of series, but what's the reason/purpose? Does the studio need some free time?

A recap usually happens when the production can't keep up with the deadlines. It's an alternative to avoid missing the broadcast date entirely.
Oct 15, 2019 7:37 AM

Dec 2015
Lol I was thinking about this season getting a recap episode somehow and we got it now...

set by taiyaki

Oct 15, 2019 7:38 AM

May 2011
yellowheartren said:

I share the same consensus. Was kinda disappointed discovering it's a recap. The flow of the recap feels kinda "forced" or "rough" too.

Regarding the OP/ED, personally I'm still not sick of the current OP yet and would still watch through the opening because I really like it, so I'm not bothered by it.

Edit: I actually went back to listen to all the past opening and wow, the very first two OP feels really impressive to me! It certainly brought back a lot of memories of this show~ I probably like them as much as the current one.
jr_paperbagOct 15, 2019 8:13 AM
Oct 15, 2019 7:53 AM

Feb 2016
@Yellowheartren

Yeah, maybe we didn't need one, but oh well, a single recap won't kill anyone, at least this isn't beatless

@Hatsuyuki

What? are you serious? Just because there hasn't been that much baseball doesn't mean this season is bad, it seems like you completely missed the point of what this season has been about so far. It has slow progression yes, but what have happened so far has been really good, even better than last seasons.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 15, 2019 8:00 AM

Feb 2011
HereticHunter said:
@Yellowheartren

Yeah, maybe we didn't need one, but oh well, a single recap won't kill anyone, at least this isn't beatless

@Hatsuyuki

What? are you serious? Just because there hasn't been that much baseball doesn't mean this season is bad, it seems like you completely missed the point of what this season has been about so far. It has slow progression yes, but what have happened so far has been really good, even better than last seasons.

No it hasn't. At this point, after 150 episodes, I really don't care about character drama anymore, we've had enough of it, and whenever it happens it consists in the same cheesy one liner exchanges that we've had since day 1, no real development in that aspect either. . I am here for baseball. And it's simply lacking in that aspect, and when they do miraculously happen the matches are stillfests with barely any animation. I can always appreciate an author having a clear vision on how their manga would end, but this is clearly not the case with Diamond no Ace, resulting in this season's awful quality. It's nothing but a dragged out. mind numbingly boring cash grab with poor production.
Oct 15, 2019 8:45 AM

Feb 2016
Hatsuyuki said:
HereticHunter said:
@Yellowheartren

@Hatsuyuki

No it hasn't. At this point, after 150 episodes, I really don't care about character drama anymore, we've had enough of it, and whenever it happens it consists in the same cheesy one liner exchanges that we've had since day 1, no real development in that aspect either. . I am here for baseball. And it's simply lacking in that aspect, and when they do miraculously happen the matches are stillfests with barely any animation. I can always appreciate an author having a clear vision on how their manga would end, but this is clearly not the case with Diamond no Ace, resulting in this season's awful quality. It's nothing but a dragged out. mind numbingly boring cash grab with poor production.

I won't deny that this season is a still frame fest, I give you that, but that's not enough for anyone to ignore what this season has done right.

I suppose Sawamura's growth means nothing to you, or how his rivalship with Furuya has been improving, getting really tense and how everyone has grown since the 3rds left, even the newcomers have been adding to it. Sawamura and others learning about rules on the field while pitching, knowing when to rely on your own judgement or how to read the game. Learning to move on after a bad experience and improve from this point, second think your goals, etc.

I know we haven't had that many matches, but the ones we had were more than enough to pinpoint exactly was wrong with the team back then, and everyone has improved since then, changing their mentality and training for it.

If that doesn't mean anything to you, then I don't know what would.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 15, 2019 9:13 AM
Nov 2007
Trash recap episode. Do they need more time because of Manga or just wasting out time?
Oct 15, 2019 9:16 AM
Nov 2007
Hatsuyuki said:
HereticHunter said:
@Yellowheartren

@Hatsuyuki

I do agree with you on this. I am still hopeful that it will improve, but this one needs to be binge watched so that boring episodes can be skipped.
Oct 15, 2019 9:33 AM

Dec 2016
Neji said:
Trash recap episode. Do they need more time because of Manga or just wasting out time?
The second one, I suppose
With the "limited" number of episodes, it wouldn't make sense to start the summer tournament in this season, so it will end exactly before the summer tournament starts (it's just my opinion, but it's very likely)
Oct 15, 2019 9:59 AM

Jun 2014
Shitty recap, they could at least not try to disguise it...
Oct 15, 2019 3:41 PM

Sep 2011
A recap, but I'm not even mad, if only because I got to see Sawamura's legendary slip again so soon, I love that moment. xD Oh, and all the times he shined as a pitcher so far too. No wonder he did though, with Miyuki as his "wife." xD No matter how many times they keep remembering me that there's only three months left for the senpais though, I know I won't be ready to say goodbye.
Oct 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Oct 2009
Hatsuyuki said:
EXACTLY. It's been constantly going downhill ever since the senpais retired, this season is so low budget that they have to do 2 recap episodes and they aren't even capable of changing the OP/ED in 30 damn episodes. Also as you said there's literally not much happening, we haven't even had much baseball going on in 30 episodes even though this is a baseball anime. How can one series go from being decent to mind numbingly boring so fast is beyond me. Just put it out of its misery already. At this point for me watching this feels like a drag considering Ahiru no Sora and Hoshiai no Sora are both sports anime out this season and they're both miles better than Daiya no Ace at this point.

I'm not sure I'd want to be so tough on it (not yet anyway), but I do agree with your points, here and in your later replies too, albeit with a few reservations. Here for baseball indeed - heck, not only had I known nothing about baseball before Daiya, I'd been absolutely confused by it, and now I actually understand the game, which is quite the achievement, I think. At the same time, I've also been less than happy with the pacing of baseball in the series: when one inning takes up an entire episode (or more), and then right after they skip half a match (or several matches) - this level of inconsistency takes a lot of enjoyment out. There were several matches I would've loved to see play out, but they just skipped them altogether. On the flipside, I love seeing "off-the-field" episodes or just scenes even, because to me those are just as enjoyable - in part exactly because of those inconsistencies in how the games are (not) presented, but also beacause yes it's finally some characterisation or silly shenanigans instead of yet another asspull hit or catch. But lately even those are easily just meh, due to missed fanservice opportunities (dear gods topless Mochi looked bad) or sheer repetitiveness. Which is a mystery, because with such a huge number of episodes, you'd think there's more than enough time for such things as well (especially if they want to drag it out so much they do recaps when no recap is needed). And then - yes, the amount of slideshows in this season is nothing short of astounding, in all the bad ways, to say nothing about the application of the empty white background. It's like we're watching a PowerPoint presentation of coloured manga panels instead of, you know, an actual anime.

Furuya's breakdown and Sawamura's growth were actually interesting and fullfilling to watch - but I have to think: is that only because we've "waited" so long for both? Two seasons of one being the "celebrity" and the other the perpetual underdog, now they've both been happening in half a season. Again, that inconsistency? And while I wouldn't use the word "misery" just yet (then again, I did watch Try Knights xD), I did notice something: I used to make an inordinate amount of screencaps and I used to solely dedicate that ~25 minutes to watching Daiya, not only because I can't speak Japanese. This season? Barely any screencaps and I find myself playing games or browsing forums while watching the anime. Says a lot, I think.
Oct 15, 2019 5:28 PM

Feb 2011
yellowheartren said:
Hatsuyuki said:

I'm not sure I'd want to be so tough on it (not yet anyway), but I do agree with your points, here and in your later replies too, albeit with a few reservations. Here for baseball indeed - heck, not only had I known nothing about baseball before Daiya, I'd been absolutely confused by it, and now I actually understand the game, which is quite the achievement, I think. At the same time, I've also been less than happy with the pacing of baseball in the series: when one inning takes up an entire episode (or more), and then right after they skip half a match (or several matches) - this level of inconsistency takes a lot of enjoyment out. There were several matches I would've loved to see play out, but they just skipped them altogether. On the flipside, I love seeing "off-the-field" episodes or just scenes even, because to me those are just as enjoyable - in part exactly because of those inconsistencies in how the games are (not) presented, but also beacause yes it's finally some characterisation or silly shenanigans instead of yet another asspull hit or catch. But lately even those are easily just meh, due to missed fanservice opportunities (dear gods topless Mochi looked bad) or sheer repetitiveness. Which is a mystery, because with such a huge number of episodes, you'd think there's more than enough time for such things as well (especially if they want to drag it out so much they do recaps when no recap is needed). And then - yes, the amount of slideshows in this season is nothing short of astounding, in all the bad ways, to say nothing about the application of the empty white background. It's like we're watching a PowerPoint presentation of coloured manga panels instead of, you know, an actual anime.

Furuya's breakdown and Sawamura's growth were actually interesting and fullfilling to watch - but I have to think: is that only because we've "waited" so long for both? Two seasons of one being the "celebrity" and the other the perpetual underdog, now they've both been happening in half a season. Again, that inconsistency? And while I wouldn't use the word "misery" just yet (then again, I did watch Try Knights xD), I did notice something: I used to make an inordinate amount of screencaps and I used to solely dedicate that ~25 minutes to watching Daiya, not only because I can't speak Japanese. This season? Barely any screencaps and I find myself playing games or browsing forums while watching the anime. Says a lot, I think.

Thanks for this, you managed to put a lot of my thoughts into words. The pacing of the games lately have been bothering me as well.
Oct 15, 2019 5:45 PM

Oct 2009
Hatsuyuki said:
Thanks for this, you managed to put a lot of my thoughts into words. The pacing of the games lately have been bothering me as well.

Lol, yeah, I've been sitting on these same thoughts myself for quite a while. Pacing's definitely one of my major issues with Daiya, I think it's always bothered me, but in this season it's a hell of a lot more pronounced and annoying.
Oct 15, 2019 8:50 PM

Oct 2015
Nice subtle recap.

It goes to show we haven't got that much from the show yet this season.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 16, 2019 2:11 AM
Mar 2018
Why a flashback now of all times?? We're in the heat of the moment where sawamura and furuya are going through a transition phase and we all want know further ahead regarding their progress. A flashback was not necessary; simply wasted an episode.
Oct 16, 2019 3:25 AM

Oct 2017
I think it was nice, kawaii recap that was very cool to see how managers were talking about players and games :)
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Oct 17, 2019 2:52 PM

Feb 2012
Man, why did we get a recap now.
Gotta wait 1 more week for hopefully some action.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Feb 4, 2020 3:34 AM

Feb 2013
It was a good recap.
Nov 4, 2021 10:09 AM

Jul 2015
Pointless recap in my opinion as not much happened between spring invitational and current time other than Eijun character growth with his time to shine as 'ace' Furuya breaks down and no intense matches like previous seasons.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 52 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

58 by Nova22 »»
Mar 9, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2019

74 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 17, 2023 3:21 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2019

74 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 15, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2019

31 by 1Konochi »»
Sep 14, 2023 11:35 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2019

31 by 1Konochi »»
Sep 8, 2023 4:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.