Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is mainstream rap limited when it comes to topics?
Oct 14, 2019 7:02 PM
Jul 2018
I love hip hop music to death. In the 90s, for the most part, mainstream rap was very limited when it came to subject matters: Big L, Wu Tang, Big Pun, Jay Z, Nas, 2pac, Biggie, were rapping about one or more of the following topics:

A) Partying
B) Bragging
C) Trash talking
D) Killing people
E) Gangsters
F) Basic social issues

Today though, the variety of topics have increased in hip hop music: we have a lot more introspective rap now from rappers like Kendrick Lamar and NF. What's amazing about introspective rap, and the reason it's my favorite genre of rap, is that almost no 2 peoples' personnel stories will be the same. Today, there are more conceptual rap albums that tell bizarre stories, like Delton 3030, an album to my knowledge, tells a series of songs that's set in space, which is fucking. Awesome. I don't know why I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. I even read this:
https://hiphopgoldenage.com/list/top-15-hip-hop-concept-albums/
So when it comes to underground rap, I don't think we can dispute that it's chalk filled with fascinating subject matters.
However, when it comes to mainstream rappers, I feel as though their subject matters are not as creative. As much as I love Tech N9ne, Denzel Curry, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Biggie, I feel as though their subject matters don't have anywhere near the same creativity as the conceptual rap albums I've read about. I think the reason for that, is because these are mainstream music artists, their subject matters need to be as accessible as possible, to reach more people, therefore their subject matters are very familiar things: Kendrick Lamar raps about basic social issues, himself, NF raps about his insecurities, Eminem raps about...well...his problems with other people (like in Kamikaze), Biggie was a conventional gangster rapper. What most listeners don't understand, is that these personas that these rappers use in their songs is their brand: if Kendrick Lamar strays from his music brand of a mature, socially aware, introspective rapper, to a horror core rapper who raps about killing people, or if he suddenly started rapping about fictional stories that take place in outer space, he would alienate a lot of his fans.
Now sure, you can argue that Eminem and 2pac are exceptions: 2pac was originally a pure socially conscious rapper, Eminem was a horrorcore rapper. However, they both diverged to different brands in their music at a slow pace, so as to not immediately alienate their existing fans.
Basically what I'm trying to get at, is that mainstream rap seems to really be lacking in terms of rich subject matters, which I think are more important than wordplay, double entendres, punchlines, and metaphors; because after all, if what you're talking about is not very interesting, why should I care? There are exceptions of course, but even then I get tired of listening to the Wu Tang brag about how great they are, or NF rapping about his insecurities in every song.
What do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree? If so, why?
Oct 15, 2019 12:39 AM

Sep 2019
Still haven't ran out of shitty takes on rap, eh? Listen, like I've said before, rap is cool music for cool people and I'm afraid you're not doing too hot on the cool factor. You don't like how every rap song is about pussy, money, weed? Well, that's too damn bad. It's not our fault you ain't 'bout that life.

It's okay, I'm sure Hopsin will get out of his little depression and drop an album full of oh so deep and thought provoking songs soon enough, but until then you're gonna have to listen to some actual good rap.

You know what? I'll drop some hot fire for you right here, because I'm nice like that haha.

You're welcome.

I am a god

Even though I'm a man of god

My whole life in the hand of god

So y'all better quit playing with god

Oct 15, 2019 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
Jokah said:
Still haven't ran out of shitty takes on rap, eh?

Your criticism is vague. You need to elaborate. It wouldn't pass in high school.

Jokah said:
Listen, like I've said before, rap is cool music for cool people and I'm afraid you're not doing too hot on the cool factor.

I never considered myself a cool person. Also, rap isn't music for "cool people": it's music for everybody.

Jokah said:
You don't like how every rap song is about pussy, money, weed? Well, that's too damn bad.

I never said that every rap song is about "pussy, money, weed". Please read the original post.

Jokah said:

It's okay, I'm sure Hopsin will get out of his little depression and drop an album full of oh so deep and thought provoking songs soon enough, but until then you're gonna have to listen to some actual good rap.

I never said I'm a fan of Hopsin.

Why are my threads the only ones filled with condescending people like you?
Oct 15, 2019 1:44 PM

Jun 2019
@Jokah What even is that shit? That shit shouldn't even be considered music.
Oct 15, 2019 5:52 PM

Mar 2019
I much prefer mainstream rap about money and chicks over pretentious social issue rap. If I want to listen to diverse opinions on social issues I'll go to NPR, youtube, or check out the casual discussion section of MAL. When listening to music, I just want to feel something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2019 6:16 PM
Jan 2017
AbsurdistOtaku said:
I love hip hop music to death. In the 90s, for the most part, mainstream rap was very limited when it came to subject matters: Big L, Wu Tang, Big Pun, Jay Z, Nas, 2pac, Biggie, were rapping about one or more of the following topics:

A) Partying
B) Bragging
C) Trash talking
D) Killing people
E) Gangsters
F) Basic social issues

I think this is a very reductive way of looking at the hip-hop of the 90s, putting focus on only the broad subjects that were popular topics in the genre instead of how these ideas were presented, which is how literally every other genre of music is judged. It's the musical critique version of citing only the message of a show as to be what determines its quality. If you don't like Nas, that's fine, but dismissing Nas because he wrote within the genre of gangsta rap is like dismissing The Beatles for writing romance songs. It completely misses all of the nuance, all of the context, and all of the history behind what made all these artists so well received in the first place, and what makes their legacy so enduring even today.
Oct 15, 2019 6:21 PM
Jul 2018
Questionnaire said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:

A) Partying
B) Bragging
C) Trash talking
D) Killing people
E) Gangsters
F) Basic social issues

I think this is a very reductive way of looking at the hip-hop of the 90s, putting focus on only the broad subjects that were popular topics in the genre instead of how these ideas were presented, which is how literally every other genre of music is judged. It's the musical critique version of citing only the message of a show as to be what determines its quality. If you don't like Nas, that's fine, but dismissing Nas because he wrote within the genre of gangsta rap is like dismissing The Beatles for writing romance songs. It completely misses all of the nuance, all of the context, and all of the history behind what made all these artists so well received in the first place, and what makes their legacy so enduring even today.

I feel as though there's a miscommunication here: I never said these topics lacked nuance, context, and history; I love me some gangster rap sometimes. I'm just saying that regardless of all that, hearing rappers talk about killing people, bragging over and over again, it gets repetitive. I don't think it matters how many ways you can present a topic, if that topic is your only one; at that point, you become a one trick pony.
Nas is actually my favorite rapper, if you look at my profile.
I think some 90s rappers evolved beyond their more...violent and immature personas, becoming more mature and introspective: like Nas, Jay Z, Eminem.

EDIT: Thank you for the polite constructive criticism. I rarely receive that kind of criticism.
removed-userOct 15, 2019 6:25 PM
Oct 15, 2019 6:44 PM

Oct 2019
i don't have that much of an opinion on the topic; i just wanted to hear @AbsurdistOtaku's thoughts

do you like soundcloud rappers? i'm not sure if depressive subject matter is the same as... rich subject matter, but what do you think of artists like xxx and lil peep? (not soundcloud based, but similarly, what about brockhampton?)

it feels like there's such a clear distinction in quality between artists like kendrick lamar & lil pump, even if they're rapping about the exact same things, there's just weight and quality in the work kendrick puts out(i feel like im taking stupid easy shots with lil pump here)

so even if the topic is shallow or simple, when something still has weight & quality it still holds up perfectly fine for me

Jokah said:
rap is cool music for cool people and I'm afraid you're not doing too hot on the cool factor.

(a VERY fun attitude to have. i don't feel you at all but i love the energy)
Oct 15, 2019 6:58 PM
Feb 2017
Yep, mainstream rap is complete trash. Absolute garbage.
Oct 15, 2019 7:30 PM

Jun 2019
BlakexEkalb said:

All American rappers are trash, mainstream or not.
Oct 15, 2019 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
milkb said:
do you like soundcloud rappers?

I've barely listened to SoundCloud rap. It's not because I have anything against them, it's just that I'm so preoccupied with listening to rap on Spotify.

milkb said:
i'm not sure if depressive subject matter is the same as... rich subject matter,

Now that you point it out, you're right: depressing doesn't necessarily mean rich subject matter. The idea of rich subject matter is...difficult to define. I'm not sure about that right now.

milkb said:
but what do you think of artists like xxx and lil peep? (not soundcloud based, but similarly, what about brockhampton?)

I've only listened to XXXTentacion, and he was an...interesting rapper. I think he's the worst rapper I've ever listened to (oversimplified lyrics that mostly repeat themselves), yet his music is great to just...vibe to. Which is weird, because before I listened to XXXTentacion, I was a pure, "lyrical miracle" rap fan.

milkb said:
it feels like there's such a clear distinction in quality between artists like kendrick lamar & lil pump, even if they're rapping about the exact same things, there's just weight and quality in the work kendrick puts out(i feel like im taking stupid easy shots with lil pump here)

I've only listened to one track from Lil Pump (Gucchi Gang). Even when Kendrick Lamar's rapping about something like sex ("These Walls"), there's always something more complex behind it.

milkb said:
so even if the topic is shallow or simple, when something still has weight & quality it still holds up perfectly fine for me

I understand that point of view. In my opinion, rappers like Wu Tang can make up for their lack of substance with a lot of style, while a rapper like NF can make up for his lack of style with substance. But even then, the rap songs that stick out to me the most, the ones that become my favorites, 90% of the time, are the ones with serious substance.

BlakexEkalb said:

There are so many mainstream rappers today that are considered to be good to great:

Ab Soul
Earl Sweatshirt
Jay Rock
J. Cole
Joey Bada$$
Joyner Lucas
Kendrick Lamar
NF
Tyler, The Creator
Oct 15, 2019 7:34 PM
Feb 2017
AbsurdistOtaku said:
BlakexEkalb said:

There are so many mainstream rappers today that are considered to be good to great:

Ab Soul
Earl Sweatshirt
Jay Rock
J. Cole
Joey Bada$$
Joyner Lucas
Kendrick Lamar
NF
Tyler, The Creator

There are obviously exceptions, but I'd rather not say "Yep, mainstream rap is complete trash except for the small minority" when it should be understood that there are exceptions to everything.
Oct 15, 2019 8:10 PM

Oct 2019
AbsurdistOtaku said:

Now that you point it out, you're right: depressing doesn't necessarily mean rich subject matter. The idea of rich subject matter is...difficult to define. I'm not sure about that right now.

i feel like soundcloud rap is fun to bring into this just because, a lot of those artists deal with very heavy subject matter(depression, suicide, substance abuse and not in the fun way), but they don't approach it in a serious way.

so what you end up with is music with serious subject matter that both looks and acts like a top 40 bop

social issues in rap is harder to approach. i'm not going to act like music & politics should be separate, but it feels like a lot of rappers address social issues with all the subtlety of a massive 'water is wet' poster. (if you're not adding something new to the discussion, and not sharing your personal experience, why are you making this?)

AbsurdistOtaku said:
I've only listened to one track from Lil Pump (Gucchi Gang). Even when Kendrick Lamar's rapping about something like sex ("These Walls"), there's always something more complex behind it.

in general, maybe the feeling you're getting is from staleness? artists rehashing the same things with different trap beats without adding anything new, diving deeper or applying a unique style to it
Oct 15, 2019 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
milkb said:

i feel like soundcloud rap is fun to bring into this just because, a lot of those artists deal with very heavy subject matter(depression, suicide, substance abuse and not in the fun way), but they don't approach it in a serious way.

Then I should listen to SoundCloud rap more.

milkb said:
so what you end up with is music with serious subject matter that both looks and acts like a top 40 bop

Interesting.

milkb said:
social issues in rap is harder to approach. i'm not going to act like music & politics should be separate, but it feels like a lot of rappers address social issues with all the subtlety of a massive 'water is wet' poster. (if you're not adding something new to the discussion, and not sharing your personal experience, why are you making this?)

Yeah, my problem with social issues in rap is how basic the problem they bring up is.

milkb said:

in general, maybe the feeling you're getting is from staleness? artists rehashing the same things with different trap beats without adding anything new, diving deeper or applying a unique style to it

I think I'm just tired of similar subject matters in mainstream rap. I want to hear a mainstream rapper rap about an isekai protagonist or something. Denzel Curry is a big anime fan, so he'd be perfect for the job.
Oct 16, 2019 1:59 AM

Dec 2018
Jokah said:
Still haven't ran out of shitty takes on rap, eh? Listen, like I've said before, rap is cool music for cool people and I'm afraid you're not doing too hot on the cool factor. You don't like how every rap song is about pussy, money, weed? Well, that's too damn bad. It's not our fault you ain't 'bout that life.

You know what? I'll drop some hot fire for you right here, because I'm nice like that haha.

You're welcome.

Yea it's cool but... in fact it's anything but cool. If you have the slightest knowledge of what is called "music", you should be able to discern that this type of riffraff shitty fuck is a literal insult to the mentioned general term 'music'. And rapping bout cash and cunt meant nothing other than insecurity and braggadocio. No one criticizes if you're in dat laif or anything remotely similar, but maybe you should enhance the execution, lyrics, melodicism, chords, MV, intelligence (yes, literal intelligence), and pretty much every other aspect of a music piece. Otherwise, you would make yourself look like an absolute fool, and it's beyond normal for people to interpret you as someone who was talentless and so broke, yet now got a lil money in hand n start to brag limitlessly like an ungrateful man child. That's all of it, my troll friend.
. . .
Oct 16, 2019 3:25 AM

Sep 2019
@AbsurdistOtaku Yeah, no. I'm not sure if you responded to my post piece by piece to make replying to you as much of a drag as humanly possible, but I'm just not gonna bother with that shit, so I'm tagging you instead.

Anyways, good on you for not considering yourself cool. Not that I ever said you did, but still, good for you! That being said, rap is in fact for cool people. It's always been made by and marketed for the people chilling at the higher end of the social ladder. You don't see any autistic loners going multi-platinum, because quite frankly, nobody wants to hear that shit.

While you didn't specifically say ''pussy, money, weed'', those type of songs still make up for the vast majority of A, B, C and E and most of them have D in them (no homo) as well, which sums up pretty much the entirety of your list. Except F, but no one gives a F about those kind of songs.

You never explicitly said you were a fan of Hopsin, but let's be real here, you are (lol). As for why your threads are filled with condescending people? I don't know. I'm rather humble myself, so I can't relate.

@AxxLife That is factually incorrect, but I respect your right to remain willfully ignorant and will now proceed to drop some more heat specifically for you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zfHhi6WdfDk&feature=youtu.be&t=35

@Preachee Classic case of turbo jealousy right here. Listen, you can hate on them all you want, but at the end of the day you're still the one bumping their shit, not the other way around. Be the change you want to see. If you could do better then you'd be the one balling right now, but you're not, and judging by your post it's safe to assume that you never will be.

I am a god

Oct 16, 2019 5:44 AM

Jun 2019
@Jokah the second video you linked was funny af but the rest were sraight ass.
Oct 16, 2019 7:49 AM
Jan 2017
Jokah said:

It's always been made by and marketed for the people chilling at the higher end of the social ladder. You don't see any autistic loners going multi-platinum, because quite frankly, nobody wants to hear that shit.

You mean like Eminem?
Oct 16, 2019 3:03 PM

Mar 2019
@AbsurdistOtaku and @Jokah

I feel like this song blows both of your arguments away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCX8MATMq4

And who can forget?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQTcRxPsoMo

Song about sex by an loner anime weeb with 11 million views.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Dec 2018
Ryuk9428 said:

And who can forget?

that song by lonely anime weeb with 11 million views is pretty good
Oct 16, 2019 10:14 PM

Sep 2019
AxxLife said:
I see we're making progress. It'll be a slow process to rehabilitate you from all the k-pop garbage your poor ears have been exposed to, but don't worry, we'll get there soon enough.

Questionnaire said:
Jokah said:

It's always been made by and marketed for the people chilling at the higher end of the social ladder. You don't see any autistic loners going multi-platinum, because quite frankly, nobody wants to hear that shit.

You mean like Eminem?
D12, G-Unit, Shady, Aftermath, etc. It sure must be lonely being Eminem!

I mean just look at the poor soul! So lonely... (´∩`)

Ryuk9428 said:

And who can forget?

You can feel all you want, but you know what they say: facts don't care about your feelings.

Also, I'm pretty sure I revoked your permission to speak to me not that long ago and after hearing the shit you listen to I'm afraid you're not getting it back any time soon.

With that out of the way, after all this talk about pussy, money, weed, it would be a crime to not post this classic banger.

I am a god

Oct 16, 2019 10:32 PM

Sep 2019
Oh and also this turbo classic banger. Almost forgot haha.

I am a god

Oct 16, 2019 11:24 PM

Mar 2019
Jokah said:
AxxLife said:
I see we're making progress. It'll be a slow process to rehabilitate you from all the k-pop garbage your poor ears have been exposed to, but don't worry, we'll get there soon enough.

Questionnaire said:

You mean like Eminem?
D12, G-Unit, Shady, Aftermath, etc. It sure must be lonely being Eminem!

I mean just look at the poor soul! So lonely... (´∩`)

Ryuk9428 said:

And who can forget?

You can feel all you want, but you know what they say: facts don't care about your feelings.

Also, I'm pretty sure I revoked your permission to speak to me not that long ago and after hearing the shit you listen to I'm afraid you're not getting it back any time soon.

With that out of the way, after all this talk about pussy, money, weed, it would be a crime to not post this classic banger.

Fine, its a fact that it blows your argument away.

Also nigga, I can talk to whoever I want lmao.
Oct 17, 2019 1:52 AM

Dec 2018
Jokah said:
@Preachee Classic case of turbo jealousy right here. Listen, you can hate on them all you want, but at the end of the day you're still the one bumping their shit, not the other way around. Be the change you want to see. If you could do better then you'd be the one balling right now, but you're not, and judging by your post it's safe to assume that you never will be.

At this point I strongly believe you're simply a troll. But anyway your forum game post made me laugh (in a good way you might say), so thanks I guess.
. . .
Oct 18, 2019 1:23 AM

Sep 2019
Preachee said:
Jokah said:

At this point I strongly believe you're simply a troll. But anyway your forum game post made me laugh (in a good way you might say), so thanks I guess.
That's fine. Like I told the other guy with bad takes on music: I respect your right to remain willfully ignorant.

Oh and you're welcome.

I am a god

Oct 20, 2019 11:29 PM

Jan 2019
I agree that most Rappers nowadays aren't really talking about much. Same old same old. Money, Guns, Drugs, Women. That's the mainstream. I bet if someone was dropping knowledge bombs on the microphone nobody would even care.

"D) Killing people" - People are going to try them. People kill and steal. That's their way of warning people. People try to kill and rob them all the time so it would be a good idea to warn them.
I come from the same type of background as alot of them so i'd know this very well.

To me, mainstream Rap in these days is just a way to get Rich. Most of them are brain dead and don't desire any knowledge at all. Including most of the listeners. There's not much that's unique in the mainstream.
Oct 21, 2019 12:14 AM

Mar 2019
Water-sama said:
I agree that most Rappers nowadays aren't really talking about much. Same old same old. Money, Guns, Drugs, Women. That's the mainstream. I bet if someone was dropping knowledge bombs on the microphone nobody would even care.

"D) Killing people" - People are going to try them. People kill and steal. That's their way of warning people. People try to kill and rob them all the time so it would be a good idea to warn them.
I come from the same type of background as alot of them so i'd know this very well.

To me, mainstream Rap in these days is just a way to get Rich. Most of them are brain dead and don't desire any knowledge at all. Including most of the listeners. There's not much that's unique in the mainstream.

And I will repeat the same thing I've told many people who say this...

People trying to drop knowledge bombs should make a podcast on NPR.

Music provides a physical experience. Music is, first and foremost, entertainment. The primary purpose of music is physical. Money, drugs, girls, they invoke physical emotions. Mainstream rap's purpose is basically to give you a feeling of the physical experience of the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Mainstream rap also happens to be good for partying and clubbing. So this means that mainstream rap's main purposes are to make you feel like a cool guy that's got lots of money and girls, or to hype you up for a party. Since a lot of guys want to feel cool and a lot of people want to party, this is why rap is so popular.

That being said, I feel pretty cool listening to stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsW72KIOd8U
Oct 21, 2019 12:27 AM

Jan 2019
@Ryuk9428 That's like saying the band Tool shouldn't talk about Transcendence and humanity (which is knowledge) cause that's not what people want to listen to. Im just pointing out the fact that the majority of the mainstream rap scene is braindead. Its not unique at all. That's the point me and OP are making. "Knowledge" in rap was just an example.
Oct 21, 2019 5:38 AM

Feb 2018
"bad" lyrics ≠ bad music
Look at guys like playboi carti nobody gives a shit bout his lyrics cause his shit sounds like fire and thats good enough
Also most people like myself enjoy all the talk about money drugs sex & killing

Oct 21, 2019 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
Water-sama said:

Music provides a physical experience. Music is, first and foremost, entertainment. The primary purpose of music is physical. Money, drugs, girls, they invoke physical emotions. Mainstream rap's purpose is basically to give you a feeling of the physical experience of the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Mainstream rap also happens to be good for partying and clubbing. So this means that mainstream rap's main purposes are to make you feel like a cool guy that's got lots of money and girls, or to hype you up for a party. Since a lot of guys want to feel cool and a lot of people want to party, this is why rap is so popular.

Why can't lyrics be meaningful while being entertaining? Kendrick Lamar, I think, is the perfect example of a rapper who can balance meaningful lyrics with entertainment. How do meaningful lyrics not give a physical experience?
Oct 21, 2019 2:15 PM

Aug 2009
Oh, it's you again. You just finally changed your forum avatar.

Oct 21, 2019 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
FacelessVixen said:

I'm curious to know what your opinion is on the topic.
Oct 21, 2019 2:36 PM

Aug 2009
RealTheAbsurdist said:
FacelessVixen said:

Oh, you already know, or at least should be able to make an educated guess as to what I think about mainstream/pop-rap.

Basically:

Oct 21, 2019 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
FacelessVixen said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Oh, you already know, or at least should be able to make an educated guess as to what I think about mainstream/pop-rap.

Basically:

Oh. Sorry, I see a lot of users on this site, so I easily tend to forget whose post I've read and so forth.
Oct 21, 2019 2:41 PM

Mar 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Why can't lyrics be meaningful while being entertaining? Kendrick Lamar, I think, is the perfect example of a rapper who can balance meaningful lyrics with entertainment. How do meaningful lyrics not give a physical experience?

Kendrick Lamar's really doesn't. I find his music exceedingly boring. I listened to one of his albums and couldn't get into any song on there.
Oct 21, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Kendrick Lamar's really doesn't. I find his music exceedingly boring. I listened to one of his albums and couldn't get into any song on there.

Which album of Lamar's did you listen to? Why did you find him boring? I ask, because he tends to vastly switch up his sound in each studio album.
Oct 21, 2019 2:55 PM

Mar 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Which album of Lamar's did you listen to? Why did you find him boring? I ask, because he tends to vastly switch up his sound in each studio album.

I don't really remember I was in high school when I listened to it. I want to say it was to pimp a butterfly, could've been good kid mad city though. One of those two.
Oct 24, 2019 10:42 PM
Sep 2019
Ryuk9428 said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Uhh... I can't really understand how Kendricks's music can be boring. I mean I can see how someone like Earl Sweatshirt or Roc Marciano's music can be boring, but Kendrick's?

Even the first four tracks on good kid maad city are very different sonically. And to pimp a butterfly uses live instrumentation, I don't see how it can be boring. I'm not even diving into the lyrics here, just sonically there is already so much going on in almost every project of his.
Oct 25, 2019 1:14 AM
May 2015
Mainstream rap is SUPER limited and corny. A bunch of industry plants & old rappers that been here forever. the UNDERGROUND scene is where its at. Those are the only mainstream guys I jam. the guys who build a solid following underground then crossover to mainstream and don't switch their style. a lot of rappers these days are being signed because they have clout on social media nto because they have quality music.

gotta to the underground for all the gems. if you stay in the mainstream you're gonna miss out on a lot of dope anime raps. some are corny but some artists put together dope anime themed songs, unfortunately none of them are really MAINSTREAM mainstream. maybe mainstream underground. The mainstream is messing up the sound like how Chance the Rapper said "I'm hella rare like Super Saiyan manga" and made me cringe out of control. but if you go to the underground you can hear some dope stuff by Robb Bank$, Xavier Wulf, SahBabii, Otaku God, Ace Uzumakii, etc.

More topics from this board

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
4 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7571 by tsukareru »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Today, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.