Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2019 12:47 PM
May 2018
I remember reading the LN’s a while back and finding myself sort of feeling mixed with how close Alice was getting to Kirito in this time. But after seeing it animated, I really am so grateful to Alice for taking such good care of Kirito.
Oct 12, 2019 12:48 PM

Apr 2016
The final part was really suggestive, the Ending was very good with the scene. Visually is awesome, the house and its surroundings were really beautiful and colorful, they also gave me a bit of nostalgia, that house reminds me so much of another certain house.
Kirito is well rendered in that state, even if I already knew it.
We are at the beginning of this second part, I am very curious to see how everything will be adapted.
Opening and Ending are awesome.
Oct 12, 2019 12:48 PM
Dec 2016
Vegetable art online
Oct 12, 2019 12:50 PM

Apr 2015
Great to be back, been a long time waiting for this.

So after the power-cut in the real world, Kirito was left in a state of coma (of sorts), lost his speech and emotions. Seems to me that his Fluctlight isn't entirely fried. Glad to see that Alice is taking care of him while being in this state. Also nice to see Selka and Alice have reunited with each other. The village chief is just too harsh for not letting Alice rejoin the village.

Let's see if at the end of this season, if I like Alice better than Asuna.

Animation in the OP is outstanding and I love the very calm and peacefull ED we got from LiSA this time around.

Ending on Rulid Village being on fire, I guess it's time to prepare of a season full of cliffhangers!

I hope we get to see very soon what actually is going on in the real world now.
Oct 12, 2019 12:53 PM

Dec 2015
There was, again, interesting ideas, but all of them were executed poorly and the episode was boring overall. I did enjoy the ending tho
BetterTasteOct 12, 2019 4:17 PM
Oct 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2016
I'm really expecting this to be the best season of SAO jut because there's almost no Kirito, let's see how this goes.

For now the Opening and Ending are great and episode is actually great showing us the life of Alice since the last fight.
Oct 12, 2019 1:17 PM

Nov 2016
We're back once again and it was pretty decent episode. Regarding my hopes for this season, I like a fair share of elements, but imo this series usually fails at wrapping up everything in a satisfying manner. So I wholeheartedly wish for a change of pace. At the very least the opening is pretty dope again.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 12, 2019 1:17 PM
Jan 2016
Finaly Alicization is back!

Seems it will start more focused on Alice, i am glad to see that, since kirito is in that bad state, its kinda painfull to watch Kirito like that, and seems he wont forget about his swords, he is lucky aswell for having Alice take care of him!

Alice sleeping with kirito was cute, and i understand her, they fight pontifex to save everyone, but Rulid village are treating them bad, for what have they fighting for, damn, i feel Alice's pain, its hard to know what to do!

Eldrie found Alice, and Kirito is not the reason for her to come back, seems she is weakened!

Seems Rulid village is on fire, dark territory is already taking action damn! And yeah a clifhanger in the first episode! Can't wait for next episode!

Also i want to see what happened in real world!

Btw, another awesome opening and ending, Lisa is always so epic!
LimaolcOct 12, 2019 1:49 PM
Oct 12, 2019 1:20 PM
Sep 2018
great start
I don't know why but i was most hyped for this show to return
I have high expectations for the upcoming episodes
Oct 12, 2019 1:58 PM
May 2018
-Stray said:
The animation and art in the OP were great! ep starts with Alice taking care of Kirito and ends with the village burning, so will this season be about mainly Alice? will Kirito remain like a zombie for half a season?
I hope not. It was kinda boring. Until last minutes. But I want to see him swing his sword... >.<
Oct 12, 2019 1:58 PM
May 2018
-Stray said:
The animation and art in the OP were great! ep starts with Alice taking care of Kirito and ends with the village burning, so will this season be about mainly Alice? will Kirito remain like a zombie for half a season?
I hope not. It was kinda boring. Until last minutes. But I want to see him swing his sword... >.<
Oct 12, 2019 2:01 PM

Mar 2019
OP and ED were straight bops. the OP was animated very well too.

It’s pretty refreshing to not hear Kirito talking, with most of the dialog going to Alice. It’s not that I dislike Kirito at all, but having her as the main character was, like I said, refreshing. I am excited to see the oncoming episodes and watch it all go down.

Oct 12, 2019 2:01 PM

Apr 2019
Where the fucks asuna because at the end of last season she falls from the sky
Oct 12, 2019 2:20 PM

Mar 2017
Leo said:
Nice episode.
I feel bad for Kirito. He looks lifeless. Alice is taking care of Kirito.

I like the OP and its visuals.

Reminds me of cloud after he gets mako poisoning.
Oct 12, 2019 2:23 PM

Jun 2019
Best girl Alice taking care of Kirito is the best. I hope Kirito don't remain broken for too long...
Oct 12, 2019 2:34 PM

Feb 2013
Ashhk said:
Very good start, the animation is trully beautiful.
Alice is definitely the best girl in SAO after Asuna, her sleeping with Kirito was cute.
Please no rape/sex scenes in this anime and it will be great.
I'm really looking forward for the next episode.

There's no such scenes after that one. The last one that happened was in 2006, which was the second, as the sexual assault on season 2 was anime original.

Luthandorius said:
Extremely boring first episode. But then again the first season of Alicization also started boring until it turned into an okayish fantasy anime.

I hope Kirito is back to normal next episode - with the village burning at the end. Slower pacing would be too painful. This needs some action.

-Stray said:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
FancyjasperOct 12, 2019 4:30 PM
Oct 12, 2019 2:46 PM

Jun 2014
And finally the wait is over and we get more of Alicization. \o/ 1st episode was decent, it's nice of Alice to take care of Kirito like that, and his state looks really bad, hope he won't be like that for most of 2nd season and also hope to see Asuna come and kick ass as soon as possible, I don't like that there's so much Alice and so little Asuna in the opening (and almost no Kirito). Based on the opening, I'm afraid the first 12 episodes will have Kirito in a ''mini coma'' and be focused on Alice with a bit of Asuna. T___T I want more of Asuna and the non-vegetable Kirito. T___T Alice is ok, but I don't want her to be the main character for first 12 episodes. :/ At least give me lots of Asuna if I can't have Kirito. :/ And I want
Asuna, not Undine Asuna, since both appear in the opening, I'm confused.
Asuna looks gorgeous and is probably a lot more powerful than Undine Asuna (we've seen enough of her already).
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ą²„ā€æą²„)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(ā‰§ā–½ā‰¦)o
Oct 12, 2019 3:11 PM
Feb 2009
omg my boy Kirito is legit in a vegetable state props to Alice taking care of him :/ first episode and it's already emotional especially without Eugeo.
Oct 12, 2019 3:59 PM

Dec 2010
Love seeing Alice as the lead for now. Hope Kirito wakes up soon though so that Alice isn't so miserable, lol.
Oct 12, 2019 4:02 PM

Jun 2014
Pretty hyped tbh. Looking foward to see how this plays out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2019 4:14 PM
Jan 2018
The ending song was pretty good too. I'm surprised, this episode came out much better than I expected. I hope it continues at this pace.
Oct 12, 2019 4:15 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Not sure if the wounds are so fresh, or LiSA's beautiful singing, or the poor helpless state of Kirito without his Eugeo ice rose sword, but fuck. My heart hurts so fucking bad.

It's a bit of a slow start for the first episode, but also good timing because any faster I think I would have burst into tears. Kirito didn't deserve this. None of them did. Praying Selka survives the night and finishes her training. No more deaths. Please.
Oct 12, 2019 4:24 PM
Apr 2016
Outstanding beginning - they keep on building up on the world they have carefully established before.
1. No truth for the public - the chaos that could ensue would completely decimate the "good" kingdom and leave them unprepared for the invasion of the Dark Territory. So they have to keep quiet about two boys saving the whole "fake"-world, which in turn leaves a lot of simple people... ungrateful without them even knowing how ungrateful they are.
2. Kirito, even though supposedly erased, still retains his affection towards Eugio and their swords, which symbolize their will and struggle for justice. It might be a direct implication of a trauma Kirito suffered when Eugio sacrificed himself, but I believe there is no way to determine that yet, and I think it does not need to be clarified. But he holds Aobara no Ken (The Blue Rose) extremely dearly, as you can see his immediate reaction when the peasants take it from him, and how Alice goes to take Kirito's sword to cut the tree, instead of removing the Eugio's one from his hands.
3. Man, animal family. Okay just how realistic they want to make it? There should be limits for good drama. Named the dragons? Wait for them to perish heroically.
4. Alice has the worst case of guilt yet in the whole series: She does not know she is "artificial", yet she knows there is something wrong with their world and that she is the after-image of the real Alice (which presumably "ascended" together with Eugio during the final episode... but I am extremely sure they both will be back - one as a sword-spirit, the other as a unified persona), and her whole value system was turned upside down - the only thing she knows is that Kirito and Eugio did fight for the sake of their world. But now she is left alone with herself, without any idea what she is supposed to do, with a paralyzed Kirito by her side. It could be said she is caring for him not because he needs care, but because SHE needs to care for him, as in trying to re-discover her purpose. I do not know whether this is intentional or not, but I would say it mimics what real-world mothers kind-of go through when dealing with immobile children. Except here Alice also has to deal with her own shortcomings of desiring direction from Kirito. Well, for half the season she will have to re-discover herself as well. Most of it is apparent when she is unable to make a clean cut of the tree - she herself sees that "her edge has dulled", as she no longer desires to wield her sword at all.
5. Not much interesting from the opening, several confusing moments:
5.1 Asuna's avatar and Asuna herself both appear in the very beginning. It is understandable if the sequence with their friends represent their strong bond and memories, but in any other case Asuna's avatar should not have appeared at all.
5.2 Right after that, you can see in Kirito's eyes the silhouette of his Fluctlight avatar. That is a STRONG implication that the consciousness, the actual psyche of Kirigaya's is aware of the state of his avatar, but as he is stuck between the systems of real world and fictional one he is unable to do anything just yet, as he walks "away" with the other avatars... But then Asuna jumps into the direction of the silhouette, basically going into the world by means yet unknown but probably cheating.
5.3. The blue bird that we see outside Kirito's room is glitching - a sign the system of the world is slowly falling apart, possible from both inside and outside interference.
5.4 The Dark Territory characters look like bunch of savages. I am rather interested if there is going to be a better twist - just how complex will they make evil minions to appear? We did see a fallen dark knight in the very beginning of the first part, and he did not look like an epitome of evil.
5.5 The mastermind that eats a blue knight piece is representing either Kirito or Eugio. Or both of them as the heroic knights who stood against his scheme. Either way that's a villain and you know it. THEN we see some technology, could be servers that retain the "memories" of said blue knights?
5.6 The scientist guy whom I have shamelessly forgotten as per his name, is standing next to a console which flashes with a back-shot of Kayaba Akihito. Could be just a cool shot, could symbolize the scientist guy trying to follow in the footsteps and dreams of Kayaba.
5.7 Throughout the opening we can see Kirito and Eugio giving resolve and hope to Alice, which is a core theme in retrospective, since, at first, it was Alice who gave meaning to Kirito and Eugio, as they struggled to reach and save her, and now the roles are reversed.
5.8 At one point Alice regains her eye, which could be just a restoration of her physical eye, just like they did back in the first part during academy days, OR it could allude to Alice regaining her whole self, uniting the child-Alice with synthesis-Alice and providing her own self with a sense of existential continuity, as she would then remember both how she was born and how she became the night. The fears that she expressed in the end of the first part, when she said that the "Alice they (Kirito and Eugio) knew is gone" would then be dispersed.

Overall, a great beginning of the grand end. I will try my best to leave the series of the shelf until it is completely aired, just like I did with the first part and never regretted. Though not participating in de-ciphering and theory-building is such a waste... but I wish everyone a pleasant watch.

CrunchyB said:
Vegetable art online

Saintless blasphemers. Some have no shame.
Re:formed
Oct 12, 2019 4:55 PM

Jan 2011
antonn said:
That feeling of deja vu.

pretty much all i could think of that and shu from GC it's not a common trope besides mindbroken

well it was SAO boring start but good visuals and lisa music, though it seems things are popping off and Alice is about to pick up that sword again
Oct 12, 2019 4:59 PM

Sep 2017
the only thing i hope is that they didnt make the animation in OP really smooth then the actual fights are bad like in the previous season. almost every fights except goblin fight and vs fanatio was boring as hell
Oct 12, 2019 5:05 PM

Jan 2017
Hopefully the execution of kirito being in this state of shock is done well. I dont want it to be a cae of "hey, I'm back." And then we just get a bunch of uncalled for action... because I feel like the standards of SAO has increased by some degree.
Oct 12, 2019 5:17 PM

Dec 2013
MY BOY RENRI ACTUALLY MADE INTO THE OPENING.

But they leaved Scheta out of it and actually put kirito friends in it??? Are you drunk, A-1?

Thank god they got through the boring part of volume 15 in one episode, we can go to the interesting part already with episode 2.

I feel that Eldrie scene was a little underwhelming compared to the novel, tho. And they didn't even put Eldrie's comments on how he actually respect Kirito, welp

I just hope that A-1 wont shit on Eldrie, he's actually a good boy

Good opening, but not so much for the ending, even tho i love LiSA
LiSA just cant compete with Reona anymore

4/5.

Oct 12, 2019 6:20 PM

Jun 2012
Great first episode! SAO is back!
Oct 12, 2019 6:33 PM
Mar 2019
Master3530 said:
I have a strong feeling it's Eldrie that set the village on fire to force Alice to join the knights again. At least that's what a good story would do. Maybe he let the dark territory army in instead cause there's no way they'd get in if what he said was true.

Me also think the same.
Oct 12, 2019 6:40 PM

Mar 2016
The quality didn't drop as much as I thought it would.

I am glad Asuna isn't here, but then what had happened last episode?

I think I have said this before as well, but I really don't want Alice to be a part of Kirito's harem.

Really want to see Eugeo again. He was the only SAO character that I actually liked. They could've killed one of the girls from Kirito's harem, but the unlikable characters—out of the protagonist's allies—never seem to die.
Oct 12, 2019 7:18 PM

Jun 2013
so it's back and it was an okay first episode
Oct 12, 2019 7:30 PM
Jun 2017
as a SAO fan, seeing kirito in that current state is a sad one. he cant do anything without the assistance of Alice...

and alice sure will going to be the not just acting as a knight but also a caretaker for kirito (and possible new lover?)... anyways love the last part where she is asking "what shall she do?" to kirito.... ohhh....

ohh im excited when asuna comes and seeing alice is the one who is always beside kirito... hahaha
Oct 12, 2019 7:47 PM

Mar 2014
I liked the ep but as per usual there´s a lot of exposition that isn´t making it to the anime and thus the story turns out bland. Poor old man Garitta, he´s the only nice villager apart from Selka but he gets reduced to practically non-existence in the adaptation.

Been waiting a long time for this, if only for the AlicexCripplito doujins that are to be. The order is very important ( Ķ”° ĶœŹ– Ķ”°)
Ryouri said:

But they leaved Scheta out of it

You might wanna rewatch the stables section of the OP.
BloodriverOct 12, 2019 7:53 PM
Oct 12, 2019 8:19 PM

Jan 2011
Wonder how long Kirito is gonna be like this.

I almost want to see some more of the real world shit too.
Oct 12, 2019 8:40 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
This continuation is off to a great start.

I feel really bad for Kirito, seeing the state he's in and all. Same for Alice since she's now someone other than the proud knight we saw in the first half of the arc. She's just trying to live as best as she can since it's what Kirito and Eugeo fought hard for. It sucks how everyone treats them like outcasts even after all the good they've done.

The music was especially great throughout this ep, capturing the settings and tone of the story so far. With the area they live nearby being under attack, I do hope Selka is ok.

I'm very excited for the next episode.
Oct 12, 2019 8:41 PM

Jul 2017
Woah that was pretty good. Definitely saved my week after the disappointment that was Nanatsu no Taizai.

Subtle recaps instead of full on recap were also nice as I didn't watch episode 0 which was the full on recap

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Oct 12, 2019 9:11 PM

Mar 2012
FuMomo-kun said:

Really want to see Eugeo again. He was the only SAO character that I actually liked. They could've killed one of the girls from Kirito's harem, but the unlikable characters—out of the protagonist's allies—never seem to die.

Wow.
I found it so much random that I forgot his dead. x)
Oct 12, 2019 9:32 PM
孔ēœŸćƒ»ć‚³ć‚¦ćƒžć‚³ćƒˆ

Jun 2017
Great episode, we're definitely off to a flyer of a restart here!
Seeing the view to the house through the forest was an enchanting welcome, for one.

Art-style has been enhanced a notch and it looks even more breathtaking now, why even bother with the split-cour lol? A lot of action coming (hence the split, I imagine) I bet and the cliffhanger promises a treat for next episode as well, hopefully Selka is alright though.

Sad to see how Alice and Kirito are being treated considering everything they sacrificed for this momentary peace. Alice's monologues on this, in particular, dug really deep for me. Can't wait to see Alice save the village and the leaders then question themselves consequently in the coming episodes.

Alice chopping the tree in the direction of those bullies and then threatening them with the scary face was awesome to see, way to go Alice. Kirito really is a lucky man to be able to receive such a dear care from someone of Alice's calibre.

Meanwhile, they're really focusing on Lady Fanatio in the Op, I've to say. Nothing wrong with that though, those are some appreciable and gratifying treats after all. Looks like Order is in chaos as expected.

Aside from this, the Op visuals are dope and the song great too! Probably my favourite Op in terms of visuals and song in the franchise so far! ED seems very pretty good too, LiSA's usual greatness!

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 12, 2019 9:51 PM
Jun 2013
Kaiser-kun said:
Haven't seen the episode yet but the visual for the OP is pretty great. Lots of the best girl.

The ending song sounds great too, Lisa sang it. Fate/Zero and Angel Beat made me like Lisa's songs.

On the side note, those adults sure are disgraceful. Not only taking advantage of a young girl, paying her so little, but to steal Kirito's sword; Alice was smart to not accept the full-time wood-cutting job, the other workers would get jealous . Sometimes I hope anime teaches people in what sort of adult they shouldn't be.
Oct 12, 2019 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'm going to miss Kirito :(, I think I'm going to wait until the whole season's out so these temporary emotions don't captivate me for longer periods of time. I'm glad that his background characters are finally getting some action, although I could care less about the knights, which seems to be the main focus.
Oct 12, 2019 10:23 PM
Jul 2011
SAO is back! Featuring nerfed Kirito. Alice is so different compared to the last season.
Visuals are nice and clean as usual.
Oct 12, 2019 10:33 PM
Oct 2012
antonn said:
That feeling of deja vu.

holy shit that didn't even cross my mind even back then when i first read the light novel lmao
Oct 13, 2019 12:02 AM
Nov 2015
Rejoice lad this season the best Sao because kirito is not mc.

Alice as mc.

Kirito muted ban.
Oct 13, 2019 12:33 AM
Oct 2007
Pleasantly surprised! What a first episode. Can't wait to watch more in the upcoming weeks. At this rate, seems like Nanatsu no Taizai is the only returning "big" show that's disappointing for now. We do still have Psycho Pass left.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2019 12:33 AM

Oct 2008
bwahahaha! what the hell happened to Kirito!? he looks like brain dead and vegetable body! bwahahaha!
i almost forgot...Alice besto gurl...Asuna can go to trash.
matias067Oct 13, 2019 12:55 AM

Oct 13, 2019 12:35 AM

Dec 2013
Op is hype af!

Kirito becoming a vegetable isn’t too surprising after the end of the season. I’m curious with how long he will stay comatose.

Only one episode in and we already got a cliffhanger.
Oct 13, 2019 12:55 AM

Nov 2009
Loved this episode! Kirito's emotions towards Eugeo's sword are great. Gosh I still don't like how he died.
Any explanation is worthless to a blind hater, any criticism is worthless to a blind fanboy.
Oct 13, 2019 1:04 AM
Oct 2019
I Hope Alice And Kirito always Love Each OtheršŸ˜‰
Oct 13, 2019 1:30 AM

May 2018
A very heart melting episode xD

poor kirito and alice
Oct 13, 2019 1:47 AM

Jan 2014
so i expected them to continue where they left us at a cliffhanger (like show us what was happening in rl then cont from the part asuna dived into the virtual world) but ended up getting the opposite
thought my girl asuna would finally get more screen time too but the op had alot of alice in it so i'm guessing alice would be the main feature of it?

how disappointing
ArisaXOct 13, 2019 1:55 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

261 by futurelemon »»
Apr 15, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.