Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 13, 2019 1:53 AM
Jan 2017
La serie es basura y querer poner sentimientos para que la gente se conecte con la serie ya no funciona, la historia es mala y así será hasta el fin.
Oct 13, 2019 2:21 AM

May 2013
I'm guessing most of Kirito's mind is lost somewhere. They didn't go much into it but that's just what I'm getting from they very little things they said.
Only from the opening it pretty much showed nothing about Kirito, making me wonder how long will he be on this state, they prob avoiding spoilers in the opening which is nice. Could be a good chance for the story to change its focus on someone else for a while.
Oct 13, 2019 2:27 AM

Oct 2018
where is my darling asuna? :'(
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Oct 13, 2019 2:28 AM

Aug 2013
I wonder just how true to the LNs will they be because boy oh boy...the war has a LOT of exposition nonsense that half of which was unneeded; hence why the LNs were snoozeworthy for some volumes. So Kirito isn't in the spotlight for now, prepare for Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass the animation, y'all.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 13, 2019 2:32 AM

May 2019
I genuinely like the darker tone of this episode. It had good pacing and felt surprisingly enjoyable.

Although, I felt the same in the early part of last season, and the one before that, and of course the infamous first season. Let's hope (with a grain of salt) that this season doesn't devolve, too.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Oct 13, 2019 4:13 AM

Jul 2017
Woww this really brought back all the heavy emotions. I can't wait to see what happens next and when Asuna will join. I hope everything turns out alright.
Accidentally morosexual™

Oct 13, 2019 4:13 AM
Apr 2018
I wonder if some SAO fans will change their main WAIFU for SAO from ASUNA to ALICE after watching the ending scene (not that big of a deal to sleep together, but......). BTW, i prefer ASUNA, which i guess will remain the love interest of KIRITO.
Oct 13, 2019 4:44 AM

Dec 2014
Well that was a bit morbid
Oct 13, 2019 4:48 AM

Jun 2016
half dead kirito is so much better than normal kirito ..

alice take over from now dude !!!
Oct 13, 2019 4:57 AM
Jun 2017
Finaly, a worthy wife for Kiritod
Oct 13, 2019 5:51 AM

Jan 2017
An episode well done. Followed by suitable reintroduction, pacing, and soundtrack/aesthetic, it's easily a strong starter. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the show will maintain its quality - as with what happened last season.
Oct 13, 2019 6:17 AM

Aug 2019
Not even a fan of Kirito, I've always watched SAO because it's always kept my curiosity on how the story is gonna end up. However this episode still managed to make me feel bad for the guy, no decent being deserves to be in a wheelchair unable to speak for that long amount of time. Im neither a blind hater or praiser. (Blindly hating is stale at this point, the show has been beaten to death more than a dead horse honestly.) I will say, the opening slaps. SAO always has good music
Byleth-KunOct 13, 2019 6:29 AM
Oct 13, 2019 6:53 AM

Apr 2018
To be honest, SAO is getting less shitty now which is nice. Looks like Kirito will be gone for a while and a lot of shit is already going on. Poor Alice
Oct 13, 2019 7:40 AM
Jan 2019
why episodes are very few just 12 episode
Oct 13, 2019 7:42 AM
Apr 2011
I really don't get the pacing. They skipped Eugeo's and Kirito's trip from Rulid Village to the Academy, as well as the first part of the academy arc. Coincidentally, that is where an important part of both character and worldbuilding happens. The skipping of it made Eugeo's death fell flat compared to the LN.

However, now in the second cour they take their sweet time in the first (few?) episodes. I'd rather they'd took an episode for building the foundation of the characters and how they act and montage the Kirito and Alice living together, than the reverse.
Oct 13, 2019 8:00 AM
Nov 2018
Nurguburu said:
Finally, SAO Alicization is back. Good thing I finished the previous season yesterday.

And as usual you HURRY QUICKLY to post so you get to be on the first page, a generic post that has nothing to do with the actual episode because you didn't have time to see it before posting. That's called thread pollution. Over and over again.
Oct 13, 2019 8:03 AM
Nov 2018
Dr4kon said:
I really don't get the pacing. They skipped Eugeo's and Kirito's trip from Rulid Village to the Academy, as well as the first part of the academy arc. Coincidentally, that is where an important part of both character and worldbuilding happens. The skipping of it made Eugeo's death fell flat compared to the LN.

However, now in the second cour they take their sweet time in the first (few?) episodes. I'd rather they'd took an episode for building the foundation of the characters and how they act and montage the Kirito and Alice living together, than the reverse.

You should be looking at the anime as the anime, not as something derived from the Light Novel. Anime is far more important than those "novels" anyway. This is a story made for anime, not for a book format. And an anime has its own limitations, so if you compare it to another format, with that format held up as the standard, you will more often than not be disappointed.
Oct 13, 2019 8:07 AM
Nov 2018
Indeed, excellent episode, great mood. And far better than the first season, which was so formulaic - the world is round, go to the middle and to the top of the tower to kill the enemy. I didn't like that. Here, you have great feelings. I expect Kirito will wake up at least partly in the next episode.

To think that all this passes in an instant in the real world. So he hasn't lost much time at all, for his mission to reach the eastern gate.

How lucky that that's the only gate that hasn't been destroyed.... Maybe there is a particular explanation for its importance, which also explains why that's where Kirito has to go with Alice.

-Stray said:
The animation and art in the OP were great! ep starts with Alice taking care of Kirito and ends with the village burning, so will this season be about mainly Alice? will Kirito remain like a zombie for half a season?
Oct 13, 2019 8:14 AM
Apr 2011
Hegar said:
Dr4kon said:

You should be looking at the anime as the anime, not as something derived from the Light Novel. Anime is far more important than those "novels" anyway.

First off, I 'should' not do anything, especially not something some unknown person tells me to. If I want to compare two things, I will.
Second, it is derived from the LN, whether you want it or not.
Third, even if you disregard the LN, the anime seriously lacked in both character and worldbuilding. The existence of the LN just allows me to beter see what could have been.
Finally, anime is not more imporant than those "novels". The entire anime business is dependent on manga and LN, for both source material and financially. Note that I do not claim this to be a good thing.
Oct 13, 2019 9:50 AM

Mar 2017
My heart hurts... i can't take how sad this episode was. Eugeo's gone, Kirito has been reduced to a shadow of himself and Alice is struggling on her own to protect him and keep herself together. And just like she said, what was it all for when the people are so hateful? 😭
Oct 13, 2019 9:55 AM

Apr 2017
I kinda liked the OP but the story feels so slow for some reason, anyway I'll wait for the next episode :P

Oct 13, 2019 10:01 AM
Oct 2015
I enjoyed this first episode, it was way better than the alicizations first seasons first episode. Though the earlier first episode was over 40 minutes long wasn't it? Maybe this could be too.
Anyway the last episode of fisrt season was interesting and after watching it i really waited this new season. Expecially i wanna know, what is happening in the real world?
Poor Kirito can't even speak now and it's kinda sad, because Sao without our badass Kirito seems not right, but i hope that Kirito will be no longer vegetable XD
Also i'm interested who really but that village on fire?
Hope that Asuna comes to Underworld soon though.
Rate: 8/10 for the first episode of season two.
Oct 13, 2019 10:45 AM

Feb 2013
Turtles_Hunter said:
caio_brb said:

By arc, you mean season, or the arc or the season is planned to have several arc? Because having a girl they didn't achieve to make me care for in 24 episode is underwhelming. It would have been Eugio, that would have been fine, but Alice. I hope to not have to wait half a season to get Asuna in the picture (at least if it's SAO or MR Asuna, not the flower pot of ALO and GGO).

By arc I mean the Alicization arc. Be it the season that came before or this one, both are the Alicization arc. So in this one we have 24 episodes, right? So on ep 20 or 21 Kirito will be back.
Oct 13, 2019 10:53 AM
Aug 2018
The opening theme and ending theme are bit slow as compared to prequels where it was LiSA doing all the job. The episode was good not great. Well it was the first episode, what can you expect. They won't show fights in the very first episode of the new season. Excited to see what SAO has in plate for us 👌✌

Also Fck SAO haters 😒👊
Oct 13, 2019 11:52 AM
Aug 2018
I stand by what I said before. Even with visuals now, this fucking happy, cheerful, upbeat, slice of life fucking song does not suit an all out war action thriller opening. Get this fucking Mother's Rosario shit out of here. RISING STEEL SHOULD'VE BEEN THE FUCKING INTRO, INSTEAD WASTED ON A PIECE OF SHIT MOBILE GAME! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Oct 13, 2019 12:04 PM

Jun 2014
caio_brb said:
Turtles_Hunter said:

By arc, you mean season, or the arc or the season is planned to have several arc? Because having a girl they didn't achieve to make me care for in 24 episode is underwhelming. It would have been Eugio, that would have been fine, but Alice. I hope to not have to wait half a season to get Asuna in the picture (at least if it's SAO or MR Asuna, not the flower pot of ALO and GGO).

By arc I mean the Alicization arc. Be it the season that came before or this one, both are the Alicization arc. So in this one we have 24 episodes, right? So on ep 20 or 21 Kirito will be back.

Whaaaat. So long without Kirito? That suuuucks. T___T First we lost Eugeo and now we lost Kirito too. I couldn't care less about the Integrity Knights so I'm waiting for Asuna and Alice to kick ass while there's no Kirito. I also don't care about Leafa and Sinon (and whatever Kirito's friends that might come into Underworld to help). Then again, they are better than the Integrity Knights...
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Oct 13, 2019 12:49 PM
Aug 2018
Anybody think 'Resolution' is actually more fitting as an opening for Fate Grand Order Babylonia than it is for this show???
Oct 13, 2019 12:56 PM

Feb 2013
SailorVeki said:
caio_brb said:

Whaaaat. So long without Kirito? That suuuucks. T___T First we lost Eugeo and now we lost Kirito too. I couldn't care less about the Integrity Knights so I'm waiting for Asuna and Alice to kick ass while there's no Kirito. I also don't care about Leafa and Sinon (and whatever Kirito's friends that might come into Underworld to help). Then again, they are better than the Integrity Knights...

Yeah, in that part of Alicization he's in catatonic state until the last parts of the arc when he awakens. But otherwise, Alice and Asuna are the main characters and the driving point of it.
Oct 13, 2019 1:14 PM

Feb 2014
This was a nice episode to herald the return of the Alicization Arc of SAO. =)

After the events from last season, poor Kirito is now in a near-lifeless state, so Alice has dedicated all of her time to taking care of Kirito. It also meant that she and Kirito had to leave the capital and relocated at Rulid village, but unfortunately, due to her criminal tag from the past, she wasn't aloud to stay in the village at all. Shame...

On top of helping Kirito along with Selka, Alice also agreed to do tidbit job every now and then, but the way some of the other villagers treat her and Kirito is rather repulsive and certainly deserving of a few punches to their arrogant faces.

Near the end of the episode, poor Alice almost broke down in tears as she's not sure what to do after being approached by her former pupil of the integrity knights. To add to the misery even more, Rulid village also got attacked. Things are off to a dark start, aren't they? =(

On the bright side, the OP/ED songs are really nice and the visual and animation quality of this episode was very good, too. This arc, so far, has been enjoyable, so I do have some high hopes that this next part of Alicization can match or even exceed the previous season overall. =)
Oct 13, 2019 2:45 PM

Mar 2017
I wonder for how long Kirito will remain in this state.

Nice ending song. SAO is incomplete without Lisa
Oct 13, 2019 3:34 PM

Feb 2014
Kirito isn't cheating, he's jus sleepin with his rl grill Kayano

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Oct 13, 2019 3:55 PM
Oct 2019
حلقه جميله
Oct 13, 2019 4:23 PM

Nov 2008
It really hurts to see Kirito like that ;_; but I love Alice's character so if she's getting most of the focus, it makes for a promising season.

Don't make dumb jokes about the same bed thing guys, she's basically his mother at this point. =_=

OP and ED both sound quite good. Horray for another LiSA song. :)

...also I loved the dragon siblings snuggling together. ^.^

ChiibiOct 13, 2019 4:26 PM

Oct 13, 2019 7:20 PM

Jun 2013
Y
Leo said:
Nice episode.
I feel bad for Kirito. He looks lifeless. Alice is taking care of Kirito.

I like the OP and its visuals.
Yes, this first episode really pulled at the heartstrings. I knew what happened in the finale last season was going to mess him up somehow, but I wasn't expecting this (though in retrospect, I shouldn't be surprised). And Alice was a solid character already, and now we're seeing her care and moments of vulnerability.
MAL Profile (friend me!) | YouTube Vlogs
Oct 13, 2019 8:11 PM
Oct 2017
Yautja said:
I wonder if SAO is going to continue its trend of having a great start followed by fucking everything at the climax. Anyways, while things again look like they could go well, SAO is still using bits of cheap rage bait, and that's irritating. Hopefully that won't be the case.

What in this episode was a cheap rage bait??? It was literally the first episode.
My Candies:
Oct 13, 2019 8:14 PM
Oct 2017
Seeing Kirito like that makes me sad, but I am glad that Alice is there to protect and care for him. This season is gonna be cleannnnn!
My Candies:
Oct 13, 2019 9:28 PM
Oct 2019
No clue how ~70% of the viewers gave this episode a 5/5 (I suppose anyone can love something even if it's not good). Even in his vegetative state Kirito is in some sort of god mode (how does he know something's wrong at the end?), the female characters exist to serve him (as per usual), and the some of the conflicts in this episode were laughable. Don't tell me that someone's skill at fighting has anything to do with the justice of their cause.

Art is crisp and expected. Sound and music the same.

I'll probably watch because of popularity and to see some cool action scenes, but I've just about given up on the characters for the third season in a row.
Oct 13, 2019 9:36 PM

Oct 2013
ThoreauBureau said:
No clue how ~70% of the viewers gave this episode a 5/5 (I suppose anyone can love something even if it's not good). Even in his vegetative state Kirito is in some sort of god mode (how does he know something's wrong at the end?), the female characters exist to serve him (as per usual), and the some of the conflicts in this episode were laughable. Don't tell me that someone's skill at fighting has anything to do with the justice of their cause.

I'll probably watch because of popularity and to see some cool action scenes, but I've just about given up on the characters for the third season in a row.

Maybe because they have a different opinion than you? Ever thought of that?
Oct 13, 2019 9:44 PM
Oct 2019
-Riptide- said:
ThoreauBureau said:

Helpful.

Anyways, there's a difference between liking something and something being good. Anyone can like this show of course, I'm not saying they can't. Just a bit confused by the large positive reception to an otherwise bland episode.
Oct 13, 2019 9:57 PM

Oct 2013
ThoreauBureau said:
-Riptide- said:

Helpful.

Anyways, there's a difference between liking something and something being good. Anyone can like this show of course, I'm not saying they can't. Just a bit confused by the large positive reception to an otherwise bland episode.

And there's this thing where entertainment is subjective. Apparently it wasn't a bland episode for the majority of the people here. Maybe the slow pace was actually enjoyable for them.

You can just say you didn't like the episode. You don't have to blast everyone else for liking it.
Oct 13, 2019 9:58 PM

May 2019
So, the ending plot of the last season was so BAD, so nosense, that even Kirito suffered a shock and become a vegetable.

Great, i acknowledge it was a honest start for this season!
Oct 13, 2019 10:11 PM
Oct 2019
-Riptide- said:
ThoreauBureau said:

Helpful.

And there's this thing where entertainment is subjective. Apparently it wasn't a bland episode for the majority of the people here. Maybe the slow pace was actually enjoyable for them.

You can just say you didn't like the episode. You don't have to blast everyone else for liking it.

Don't think I blasted anyone for liking this. I've agreed that people can like things that aren't good. I, too, like things that are, in all honesty, not great. An argument of subjectivity really just sidesteps what I'm curious about; What aspects of the episode made people like it?

I don't know why I expected any reasonable discussion when I posted seeing as the majority of people, as you said, didn't find it bland as I did.
Oct 13, 2019 10:22 PM

Oct 2013
ThoreauBureau said:
-Riptide- said:

Don't think I blasted anyone for liking this. I've agreed that people can like things that aren't good. I, too, like things that are, in all honesty, not great. An argument of subjectivity really just sidesteps what I'm curious about; What aspects of the episode made people like it?

I don't know why I expected any reasonable discussion when I posted seeing as the majority of people, as you said, didn't find it bland as I did.

I can't speak for everyone else but I liked the slow atmosphere and Alice being the MC. Also, it was nice to see that what happened at the end of last season had grave repercussions that even Kirito isn't immune to.

You're not going to get any reasonable discussion when you worded your statements in an antagonistic/insulting manner. It looks more like a bait than someone wanting to discuss the episode.
Oct 14, 2019 12:11 AM

Mar 2016
Wow. This first episode managed to instill some empty feelings into me (in a good way). Seeing Kirito lifeless like that just fucks me up, but I'm sure that we'll manage to see him back to his usual self soon. Having to make Alice the MC for a bit is interesting - I'm ready for SAO's best.

I like this so far. Not bad.
Oct 14, 2019 3:52 AM

Jan 2012
LMAO dam, this girl actually slept in the same bed as Kirito. Ouuu Asuna gonna be man.
Oct 14, 2019 4:12 AM

May 2019
WTF with that people who do reviews of the series AFTER 1 F* EPISODE!?

--------
antonn said:
That feeling of deja vu.

Hahaha great find
Oct 14, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2019
Checking the op again, so the main villain this time will be the blonde "chess-piece-eater" guy.

Considering all the history of SAO anime,can you guess what will he be responsible for?

1. Mass murder
2. Rape
3. Both

Oct 14, 2019 5:06 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode they adapt it slow this time. The OP os good imo and the visual is amazing. The art and animation is high, overall nice pilot episode. To the next episode

Oct 14, 2019 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
What can I say? The quality is good but I'm still annoyed how the first part was dealt with... It's also sad to see my favorite character got killed off for the sake of drama while Alice's waifu status prevents her from dying but oh well, nothing can be done about this (unfortunately). At least the upcoming game Lycoris changes the plot so Eugeo won't die that's why I'm more excited about this AU than about the actual anime (though I'm curious what role Medina is going to play).
Oct 14, 2019 5:55 AM
Apr 2016
Ive never watched an episode 1 that felt so emotionally heavy and tense.. Nostalgia, anger and sadness throughout the episode, im shook.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

261 by futurelemon »»
Apr 15, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.