Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2019 2:06 PM

Jun 2009
After years of delay, I decided to give Gintama a try, I started from episode 1, and I'm at episode 22 currently. So far, I have mixed feelings about the show.

It does have same funny moments, but it's not as funny as for example konosuba for me. I'm liking the serieus episodes alot more than the comedy episodes. I kinda expected more from Gintama? U know, since every Gintama entry has scored 9+/10 here on mal.

Did u like Gintama from the start? Does it stay like this for 300+ episodes?

I've been reading I should try watching till episodes 50+, cause then the "introduction" is over, and Gintama really kicks off, but I don't know if I can keep my attention even though I want to give it a try.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2019 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
The humor style didn't really click for me until like episode 25 and the story didn't really hit me until like mid-100s. I would personally describe it as the early series played the comedy relatively safe making it pretty hit or miss but then after some point they just went rogue with it and really hit their stride.
Oct 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Nov 2016
I actually liked it from ep 1 though the later eps are indeed much better and I understand not liking those eps since even though I did like them I was also a bit disappointed too at first, but I'd say it really get going on during the first arc in ep31.
Oct 11, 2019 2:30 PM

Apr 2016
I began to really like it around the 40th episode. Before that I like it but it was nothing special for me, but after it slowly became one of my favorite series.
Oct 11, 2019 2:41 PM

Aug 2018
I enjoyed it from the beginning, but after the first serious arc I got really hooked with it
Oct 11, 2019 2:43 PM

Aug 2016
I didn't have a problem with it as I liked it since episode 1, although I really started to enjoy Gintama right at the hotpot episode. Of course it got better as it went along from there.

Someone gave me the advice of watching Gintama 1-2 episodes max a day at the start. That helped me quite a bit in increasing my enjoyment and appreciation of the characters. Once it got close to episode 100, I couldn't wait anymore and I binged since I was enjoying it so much.

MechKingKillbotOct 11, 2019 2:49 PM
Oct 11, 2019 2:49 PM

Sep 2013
It took a while for me to really get into it as well, if you got more than 25 episode and you are not into it then don't continue watching it, and maybe give it another shot some other time.

I also recommend watching 1-2 episode max, and only when you're watching casually, its not the main course. because it does not really have stories rather its meant to be taken lightly, so if you crunch 3 episodes or more it'll just feel bland and the comedy won't hit.
Oct 11, 2019 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
I liked from the start, if you think Konosuba is funnier than Gintama then you just need to wait a bit longer because Gintama is much better and funnier than Konosuba by far. After episode 62, the show gets kind of established, so if you don't like it by then that is unfortunate.
Oct 11, 2019 2:52 PM
Jan 2012
I didn't find it that funny until about 30 episodes in, but I still liked it even before I found it funny if not just for Gintoki's personality
Oct 11, 2019 2:57 PM

Aug 2016
Took me a while to start liking Gintama, honestly. At first I watched 5 episodes, then dropped it, but then I made a friend last year who happened to be a huge Gintama fan and she talked me into watching the series again, but I was kind of not that interested, then we ended up watching it together at rabb.it (RIP) and I started to like the series from episode 30-ish onward.

I mean, there were still aspects of Gintama I disliked and I thought the series started to go downhill from the 2015 season onwards, but was pretty a fun watch overall and Gintoki became one of my favorite characters.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 11, 2019 3:11 PM

Jun 2009
Acqsu said:
I liked from the start, if you think Konosuba is funnier than Gintama then you just need to wait a bit longer because Gintama is much better and funnier than Konosuba by far. After episode 62, the show gets kind of established, so if you don't like it by then that is unfortunate.

Alot of people saying it get's better over time, especially from episode 30 where the first serieus arc begins. So I guess I'll stick along till atleast that arc. My problem might also be, that I haven't seen alot of comedy anime in general, my main go-to anime is action based, and almost every anime I've seen has a general plot, while Gintama seems episodic without any plot atm.

I'm not giving up yet, it's not bad, but I do hope it gets better.

Oct 11, 2019 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
Grimstar said:
Acqsu said:

Alot of people saying it get's better over time, especially from episode 30 where the first serieus arc begins. So I guess I'll stick along till atleast that arc. My problem might also be, that I haven't seen alot of comedy anime in general, my main go-to anime is action based, and almost every anime I've seen has a general plot, while Gintama seems episodic without any plot atm.

I'm not giving up yet, it's not bad, but I do hope it gets better.

I really hope you stick with it! It's one of my favourite anime ever.
Oct 11, 2019 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
It took a while. My first impressions were rather neutral - I didn't particularly like it, but I didn't really dislike it either. I put it on-hold a few times, but each time I came back because I realized that I miss the characters. After each break I felt like I enjoy the show more, and I eventually ended up falling in love. It's among my top 10 nowadays.
Oct 11, 2019 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
I started really liking it on episode 3. The first two episodes were a bit messy to me.
Oct 11, 2019 3:54 PM
Apr 2019
Gintama is impress to me. My first anime and make me fall in love with japanese animation.i always remember my first time watch in episode 1 to 4 always make me laugh. until now gintama still the best every arc,every episode,every seasons,and every movie for me
Oct 11, 2019 4:00 PM

Jun 2019
I hated from the first episode. It's maybe the worst anime I ever seen alongside JoJo. Hard to know which one is worse. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and go with Clannad.
Oct 11, 2019 5:10 PM

Oct 2019
I felt exactly like you do when I started watching it. I started liking it from episode 40-ish, I guess. They transition slowly towards slapstick and dark humor around that time and the relationships between the characters start to get portrayed really well and gain depth, especially within the Shinsengumi.
Oct 11, 2019 5:17 PM

Jun 2017
yeah, I liked it from the very beginning but it certainly improves significantly as it goes on.

Oct 11, 2019 5:25 PM

Oct 2013
Oh Gintama...how I wanted find you funny...

I had first watched it several years ago and ended up stopping after about 6 episodes because something about that last episode really bothered and annoyed me. Recently I took another go at it, this time getting to episode 55, then I got bored. I'm not entirely sure why, some of the humor in there was kind of similar to stuff I find funny in western media, but it just didn't click with me. The absolute worst thing a form of entertainment can be to me is boring.
FanofActionOct 11, 2019 5:29 PM
Oct 11, 2019 5:41 PM
Jul 2018
*Cough cough* Gintama is a crime agaist humanity *leaves*.
Oct 11, 2019 6:03 PM

Nov 2011
To me, it was fine at the beginning, I can't say I really liked it though. I agree with you that it has some funny moments, but other comedies like Konosuba are better. Except for Elizabeth, because that creature was hilarious, my main reason why I continued watching it because of people said that it would get better and I would get used to it.

I started to really liked since Benizakura arc, first major serious arc. But at the end of the day, I enjoyed comedy and episodic arcs more than serious arcs because Gintama serious arcs is not better than say (fans will hate me for saying this) Naruto or Fairy Tail (at least their first arcs, because both series were also getting worse).
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 11, 2019 6:16 PM

Apr 2016
Tried it a couple years ago. I watched 30 episodes waiting for it to "get good", but each episode is pretty meh and forgettable. I'm guessing either the Gintama fans were overhyping it and are making mountains out of moehills regarding the "emotional weight" of these formulaic, episodic sob stories, and that Gintama doesn't really have a turning point where it all comes together. Or it does, but I'm not slogging through another 200 episodes of filler to find out.
Oct 11, 2019 6:38 PM
Jun 2019
Minus the toilet humor which I always dislike for everything Gintama already clicked with me ever since episode 3
Oct 11, 2019 6:56 PM

Mar 2018
I'm only a casual when it comes to Gintama, I am on episode 60 or something. The more you watch of it, you slowly get into it until you get completely obsessed with it.
Oct 11, 2019 7:11 PM

Nov 2017
It took me a while to get used to its humour style but I liked it right after ep 6 because of how it handles character and world building.
Oct 11, 2019 8:44 PM

Dec 2016
Gave up with it honestly. I mean... nothing really wrong with it, had occasional fun, but after watching 26 episodes, the answer to the question: "after watching this episode, do you genuinely want to watch the next one?" was always the same: "no". There was just not enough hook in terms of story, and there was also not enough attachment in terms of characters, to justify keep watching it. I didn't care if it "got better after episode 734"... if to me it wasn't working then, it was not going to work afterwards either, so I just dropped it.
Oct 11, 2019 8:47 PM

Oct 2017
It took a while.
I just continue watching it because I didn't have any other thing downloaded at the time and didn't want to have the time it took to download it wasted. It was a good choice.

Oct 11, 2019 8:55 PM

Dec 2017
It's definitely a bit of a slow burn. I'd say the first 24-odd episodes I was a little on the fence too, but it vastly improves with every new OP it reaches and every dramatic arc it takes on. It keeps building on itself to get better and better, and by the end it became my single favorite anime of all time. Consider it the most worthwhile marathon you'll ever run!
Oct 11, 2019 9:01 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I liked it from the start. It does have some boring episodes though.
Oct 11, 2019 9:12 PM
Oct 2019
It’s garbage
It’s not even funny
it’s not even a parody series
Oct 11, 2019 9:33 PM

Jun 2019
I mildly enjoyed it from the beginning. I started to love it when the first serious arc happened, not benizakura arc but the "baby that looked like gintoki" one.

LittleCr0wxxx said:
It’s garbage
It’s not even funny
it’s not even a parody series

It's not even an anime
It doesn't even exist!

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Oct 11, 2019 9:36 PM

Apr 2016
Liked it from the start, but loved it maybe 50 episodes in.

That's the best way I can describe it.
Oct 11, 2019 9:47 PM

Jan 2018
I watched the first 4 episodes and it's been on hold for over a year. I should probably drop it tbh. Comedy anime and I don't tend to mesh well.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 11, 2019 10:15 PM

Jan 2016
At first i was not really into Gintama but i still keep watching it because i had nothing else watch at that moment,after completing it i realised this series as a whole one of the best till today,i'll appreciate it the most when i slowly watch it rather than binging Gintama cause most episodes(excluding serious arcs) are slice of life-ish.At the start of this show nothing much happens and its all world building but that is really important because they all reappear throughout the series and that is one of the things that i really like about gintama.So yeah its great show overall.
Oct 11, 2019 10:15 PM
Jul 2018
I always thought it was hilarious. I love all the Japanese cultural references
Oct 12, 2019 3:13 AM

Sep 2018
I thought it was fairly good but it gets better and better as it goes along. I much prefer the comedy to the action arcs.
Oct 12, 2019 3:15 AM

Nov 2018
I'm only 30 episodes in and the show is starting to become very good and very funny (even though I don't get many of the Japanese TV references)

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Oct 12, 2019 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
I'm on ep 83 and dropped it for the 3rd or 4th time.
The first serious arc eps 58-61 was amazing.
I really wanted to like this show but I'm having major doubts.
Oct 12, 2019 3:44 AM

Apr 2019
No
in fact i thought the first 400 episodes~ which is the first 3 seasons
approximately , were just average
mostly because episodes are either hit or miss, and there's a lot of unnecessary and boring episodes that i just didn't enjoy
i really prefer the later Arcs, the seasons after Gintama Enchousen are A LOT better in my opinion, the comedy usually nails in every episode after that and it doesnt feel as repetitive as in the earlier seasons
You son of a .. turtle

Oct 12, 2019 3:56 AM

Apr 2015
Grimstar said:
After years of delay, I decided to give Gintama a try, I started from episode 1, and I'm at episode 22 currently. So far, I have mixed feelings about the show.

It does have same funny moments, but it's not as funny as for example konosuba for me. I'm liking the serieus episodes alot more than the comedy episodes. I kinda expected more from Gintama? U know, since every Gintama entry has scored 9+/10 here on mal.

Did u like Gintama from the start? Does it stay like this for 300+ episodes?

I've been reading I should try watching till episodes 50+, cause then the "introduction" is over, and Gintama really kicks off, but I don't know if I can keep my attention even though I want to give it a try.

I don't think it's necessarily about liking or disliking the series. It's more closely related to whether the series grows on you or not. I don't know when, but the series grew on me at some point in the episodes between 50~100. It grows on you very slowly and in a very hidden manner.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2019 3:59 AM

Jul 2019
I kinda liked all of gintama so far. It had a story but they kinda scrapped it. They also made fun of the fact they forgot the story.
Oct 12, 2019 4:06 AM
Oct 2015
I liked it from the beginning, though it became one of my favorites when I got into the Shinsengumi Rebellion Arc. Hijikata is my favorite after Gintoki. I really enjoy their combo.
Oct 12, 2019 4:11 AM

Dec 2015
At the beggining it was a fun to watch anime for but i wasnt hooked.After like baby arc and benizukara i get hooked anda now it is one of my fav anime.After second year it is awesome for me
Oct 12, 2019 4:14 AM
Dec 2017
I'd say give it time .

It's a beautiful show
Oct 12, 2019 4:30 AM
Aug 2013
I also watched about 20 episodes and didn't like it...now i've seen good scenes from gintama on youtube. There is also many gintama series try watching a more recent one instead of the old gintama, may I suggest gintama 2015 or gintama 2018. If you're watching the original gintama it will be very slow and you may have to watch 40-60 episodes to get to the good parts
~AnimeDownUnder~

Oct 12, 2019 8:37 AM

May 2018
I had to watch about 20 episodes before I was fully enjoying it and I gotta say it gets better after every episode. It's definitely one of the best anime shows I've ever watched. I have only finished the first 201 episodes but they were amazing.
Oct 12, 2019 8:39 AM

Nov 2011
When it's done introducing the main and side characters and start throwing crazy shit. That's when it get me.

Oct 12, 2019 8:44 AM

Sep 2017
i didn't like the earlier episodes either, but it got better after around ep 25 and around ep 50 i realized it actually has a serious plot so i started liking it more. i started loving it at ep 111, teh familial love in this show is really beautiful.
Oct 12, 2019 8:44 AM

Feb 2019
It was a slog getting through the first 12-20 episodes
but once the characters were established, I was Hooked.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Oct 12, 2019 8:48 AM

Jun 2011
I liked it from the start, though I only got hooked around episode 30, the amnesia arc. Gintama is the type of series that can get really monotone if you watch it too fast, due to the style of comedy that stays pretty much the same the whole time, even though it's genius. I highly recommend watching a little bit of it at a time, if you like comedy and samurai, you'll definitely enjoy this one.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

88 by decco6226 »»
Apr 16, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 128 Discussion ( 1 2 )

llamaben - Aug 19, 2009

98 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

64 by ilovelidya »»
Apr 13, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 123 Discussion ( 1 2 )

85 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 13, 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.