Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 11, 2019 10:34 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok, that singing scene in the beginning made me go wtf.

Hudson-fujin is easily the most noticable character...in a very weird way. However, it seems the show does have serious side considering the murder case. This show mixes comedy and mystery fiction together with the storytelling.

Might have potential.
Oct 11, 2019 11:36 AM

Sep 2018
It definitely has its charm, and looks very promising. Also that joke at the end made me laugh to tears.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 11, 2019 11:53 AM

Aug 2013
Interesting start. From the beginning, we have a murder case though it wasn't that of Jack the Ripper.

That singing scene from the start though...

Oct 11, 2019 12:21 PM

Dec 2017
oh fuck, this show is definitely a weird one. a race between quirky detectives to solve the mystery the fastest.

not gonna lie, it caught my interest. the production is good so far and the level of detail they put into developing the setting of red-light district is quite nice, from the opening sequence of a random brazilian dude inviting into shady clubs to the usual cabaret sittings

also, rakugo mystery solving? kek
Oct 11, 2019 12:34 PM

May 2017
Whoever wrote this was definitely on drugs.
Oct 11, 2019 12:44 PM

Jan 2018
Well that was... a start. Weirdest show of the season by far.
Oct 11, 2019 12:45 PM

Jan 2017
A lot of wacky characters I dare say. Definitely loved the way it started and this show has hooked my interest for now.
Oct 11, 2019 12:57 PM
Sep 2015
This interpretation of Sherlock Holmes is quite interesting, and it top with my favorite fetish, gay grabbing straight guy's body part.
Oct 11, 2019 12:58 PM

Sep 2017
Nice animation but confusingly paced. Also wtf with those trite, unfunny and overdone jokes on trans people and gay people?
Oct 11, 2019 1:44 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hahaha I'm laughing so much Sherlock is so ridiculous wtf
I expected something serious before watching it and ehhh, it is so weird.
It's entertaining and funny afterall.
Oct 11, 2019 2:05 PM

Sep 2011
This was entertaining and the concept of multiple detectives competing to complete the same case has loads of potential, the episode itself was more just fine but i like the style and energy it has and can see it working way better in the long run as this was just kind of blazing through the premise and we got 23 more episodes to flesh things out. I do hope that the series is going to get a bit more serious in its subject matter when it gets to it, I imagine when the actual jack the ripper is a problem it will be treated with more thematic weight, though multiple jokes from this episode made me laugh though especially the fake out with the boyfriend's affair.

Keeping an eye on this one, this has alot of elements i love.
JizzyHitlerOct 11, 2019 2:15 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 11, 2019 2:34 PM

Apr 2011
Kinda mediocre, but character designs are interesting.
Oct 11, 2019 2:35 PM
Apr 2016
CHC said:
Nice animation but confusingly paced. Also wtf with those trite, unfunny and overdone jokes on trans people and gay people?

Welcome to modern Japan. Apparently, making fun of viewers by inserting openly crossdressing male gorillas is a... way of doing art? I don't know, might be a mental issue issue. Also female is a director. The last time I seen such a series was Okada. And Okada missed half the time.
Re:formed
Oct 11, 2019 2:35 PM

Jul 2015
That was... something

I will watch a few episodes. It has a lot of good elements. Looks promising if done right.

AdrianRubinskyOct 11, 2019 2:41 PM
Oct 11, 2019 2:42 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I typically don't really like episodic mysteries by design because they never have enough time to develop any interesting cases, but I still kinda like this so far. Fun characters at least
Oct 11, 2019 2:42 PM

Nov 2016
The concept is interesting and it has a nice vibe, but I need a bit more time to warm up to it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 11, 2019 2:58 PM

Feb 2017
Solid first episode. I found it quite fun and it manged to make me laugh. I like the wacky characters so far. Definitely has potential.
Oct 11, 2019 3:04 PM

Sep 2011
HaXXspetten said:
Well I typically don't really like episodic mysteries by design because they never have enough time to develop any interesting cases, but I still kinda like this so far. Fun characters at least
It doesnt look like this is gonna be an episodic mystery the whole time at least, it sounds like the jack the ripper thing is gonna be a overall plotpoint. I'm sure we will have 1 off episodes along the way though probably for these first few to establish the characters more.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 11, 2019 3:14 PM

Apr 2018
it was an interesting experience
Oct 11, 2019 3:15 PM

Aug 2016
Might be my favourite first episode for a new show this season.
It has such a fun mixture of humour and seriousness.

Mystery - check.
Colourful Characters - Check.
Rakagou - Check.

What more could you want.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Oct 11, 2019 3:17 PM
Apr 2013
Wow. I'm surprised. Like, this was actually really enjoyable.
See, I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan, and have read nearly all of them.
So many nods to the original, yet still fresh. And unlike most shows,
this one got Sherlock actually right. This was the first time in a long while I had
that tickling feeling I had when I read Sherlock Holmes, how he scans the whole floor and everything.
The mystery itself this time was of course mainly a rehash of the first Sherlock Holmes story (A Study in Scarlett). The long finger nail, the height deduced by footprints, the murderer being a driver...
But I liked the concept of that detective competition. It reminds me of the OG Holmes, where the detectives of Scotland Yard always try to overtake Sherlock, but fail everytime. This is a fresh twist on that premise in our time. The comedy was kinda weird, but often enough funny. Same goes for the rakugo show. Definitely more interesting than having Holmes smoke a whole pack of cigarettes while sitting in his chair to solve the case.
The only scene I really didn't like was that car crash thing in the end. What the hell was the point of that? I don't get it...
Oh well, definitely will continue this.
Oct 11, 2019 3:41 PM

Sep 2017
That was...an interesting first episode, I guess

I was kinda skeptical about Sherlock first, but it doesn't seem to be a bad adaptation after all
Oct 11, 2019 3:48 PM

May 2016
Really good first episode, I'm already loving this anime's Sherlock Holmes.
Oct 11, 2019 4:55 PM

Jun 2014
This first episode was pretty interesting, not necessarily because of its subject matter but more so because of the quirky cast. Sherlock in particular stands out, especially with how he was behaving at the crime scene lol. Even though he seems deadpan most of the time I liked the glimpse we got of his more eccentric side with the mystery-solving Rakugo xD. That's definitely the first time I've seen anything like that. If this show manages to keep this up this could be one of the more entertaining titles this season.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 11, 2019 5:16 PM
May 2015
I kinda like it. Reminds me of durarara due to it's quirkiness. Sherlock's pose after getting hit by the car made me rofl
Oct 11, 2019 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
Well damn...

That must be the most unique version of Mrs. Hudson I have ever witnessed.... XD Speechless.
Oct 11, 2019 5:57 PM

Jul 2012
Woah ok, that was a weird start. Very interesting, though. I was sold on the Rakugo scene, I want to see more of that!
Oct 11, 2019 5:57 PM
Oct 11, 2019 6:22 PM

Dec 2014
Kind of strange but it's interesting and amusing in it's own way. Curious to see if they'll actually have interesting mysteries or if they would rather embrace the quirky nature of the show and go completely over the top.
Oct 11, 2019 6:34 PM
May 2016
Out of the whole season, this was the show I was looking forward to the most, simply because it was set in Kabukicho and I've been on a major Yakuza binge the last few months. Turned out to be the most fast-paced, weird and mildly confusing thing I've seen all year. AND I THINK I LOVE IT!

Despite all the comedy anime I've watched, I don't think anything has made me laugh harder than when Sherlock gets run over. Just the way it happened and how he ate total shit had me crying XD
Oct 11, 2019 6:37 PM

Mar 2016
This was fun!

Mrs. Hudson is a drag queen named Hudson-fujin, but she's as funny as always!

The Sherlock Holmes here really resembles the way I pictured the novel Sherlock, i.e. not hot, but old and funny and wise looking.

Sherlock was a lot more quiet here than his novel counterpart. Well, this is a different story, so I don't really care much about that.

Lestrade is here too!!

Moriarty is such a cute kid! I have not seen him appear in the books because I am still in the first short story collection book, but everyone knows he's the bad guy. That's so sad. His design makes me want to wrap him up in blankets and give him hot chocolate!!

From Mattsun's texts, even I could deduce he was gay. The megane is not a very good detective! He reminds me more of Lestrade than Lestrade himself. lol!
Oct 11, 2019 6:48 PM

Nov 2009
I enjoyed this one. The Rakugo was an interesting twist on what you see in modern Holmes' stories these days, that a lot of writers have him explain his logic to his companions and the audience by making a scene - but obviously western writers don't have a lot of rakugo in their stories!

professional critics: "this portrayal of "mrs hudson" is terrible and bad and should discourage you from watching this show"

everyone who sticks with the show for more than three weeks: "mrs hudson is great actually"
Certified "cute girls doing cute things" expert

the cute girls doing cute things club needs you!

maybe you didn't give re:stage dream days a chance; please re:consider
Oct 11, 2019 7:10 PM

Mar 2010
Pretty scummy that neat freak deleted the text messages lol
Unique mystery anime
Lol he ran him over
Oct 11, 2019 7:33 PM

Sep 2017
I like this anime so far! I enjoyed the first episode! The last scene was humorous.
Oct 11, 2019 7:50 PM
Jun 2015
That was the weirdest experience of the season so far, and this season has Africa Salaryman! Characters appeared to be quirks more than anything else. The mystery aspect was not part of the story at all, nor was it possible for the audience to make figure out the mystery on their own due to how and when the information was presented. The premiere was equal parts boring, eccentric, bizarre, and funny.

I was about to pass on the show, but the scenes where the killer freaks out in the most amusing way and when Sherlock gets hit with the car were just too funny. So it won me over... for now.
Oct 11, 2019 8:08 PM

Sep 2008
In my opinion the random "silly" sequences- the case debriefing, passing out the seemingly pointless cat screen devices, the rakugo stage.. are going to get old.
I think they're added in to make the show quirky and eye-catching but it only annoyed me. It just made the presentation of the first episode messier and more confused.
I'd rather they dedicated more time to make more of the clues actually visible to the viewers (pointing out the scratch marks etc).

All in all.. it was fine. It's too hard to tell at this point if there's anything of substance to come.
What do you people think of Lestrade though? Not exactly how I'd portray him in this world, haha.
Oct 11, 2019 9:34 PM

Sep 2019
They just can't keep me away from this city... or maybe it's that I can't keep the city away from me.
Soon enough, I'll be tempted to play the Yazkua games again. (Gonna buy the collection anyway)

I don't know how I feel about the whole Sherlock Holmes part (although I think I like him), but honestly, just having a Detective show in that area gets me heavily interested. I mean, that's why I bought Judgement.

Also, did Glasses-kin just use anti-bacterial wipes on GLOVES?! It didn't get me to laugh, but I'm just smiling at the stupidity.

And I just noticed MC-Kun is our Watson to Holmes... even though he said it earlier, it completely went over me. Boy... it's all here... and I just fuckin' laughed at him getting hit by a car.

Overall, a good introduction episode, I enjoyed it, and I'll certainly see more.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 11, 2019 11:16 PM

Mar 2018
A mix between comedy and mystery huh
I wonder if there are a lot of OG Sherlock Holmes references.. If there are I won't get most of them sadly

Looks promising in any case

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 12, 2019 12:48 AM
May 2017
well. this was um.. interesting. not exactly what I expected.
Oct 12, 2019 1:09 AM
Mar 2019
It was great for a 1st EP and the story telling style seems kinda wacky and different and I think tha can work well in a detective story
FanBoii
Oct 12, 2019 1:57 AM

Aug 2017
Fabulous start! It has the Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens vibe, weird and interesting.

Oct 12, 2019 2:04 AM

Oct 2017
This was interesting.
What's with the fish faces, though? It kinda bothers me...
Oct 12, 2019 3:31 AM

Mar 2019
Wtf how to describe this ep.
Sherlock is ridiculous but its entertaining.
Oct 12, 2019 4:07 AM

Apr 2016
This was something...something very cringe and stupid
99% i'll drop this after 3 ep

Oct 12, 2019 4:44 AM

May 2019
Why do people watch only one episode and go rate the series right away, though?

It was a fun introduction episode. The ending part really surprised me lol.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Oct 12, 2019 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
Honestly that song in the beginning was fire, not going to Lie. I liked Toujin a lot I thought he was funny and Mrs. Hudson had me in tears lol.

Idk if this is going to be a slap stick comedy or something along the lines of comedy and seriousness but I thought episode 1 was alright.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 12, 2019 8:15 AM

Dec 2016
The first episode was really interesting, I couldn't stop laughing the whole episode. They did a good job for choosing Suwabe Junichi as Mrs.Hudson XD. Definitely gonna continue watching it.
Oct 12, 2019 8:32 AM

Mar 2017
I was so excited for this anime and i got waaaay more than i expected! That was hilarious and such a brilliant direction to take the famous character in. I love the way they made it so that instead of the Mind Palace, Sherlock uses Rakugo to put all the clues together... such a unique way to inserting Japanese culture into the show.

Mrs Hudson as a drag queen is pure fucking genius! That was one of the highlights of the episode to me. I found it interesting that they've made Moriarty Sherlock's apprentice? Assistant? I wonder where they're going with that...
Oct 12, 2019 8:41 AM

Sep 2017
Wow, what a pilot episode. This is gonna be a weird one for sure. So we got this trans (?) bar or something where some detectives meet up to get cases and compete to see who solves it first. Our main detective is of course Sherlock Holmes and he's an eccentric weirdo who speaks to himself in rakugo to solve cases. What a wacky setup.

I imagine I'd be pretty confused at the end if I'd never watched Rakugo Shinju.
Oct 12, 2019 8:43 AM

Apr 2015
I love Sherlock Holmes and this interpretation was sooo good and interesting! I like the fact that it's a japanese Sherlock in today's Japan. Moriarty looks interesting as well. I'm looking forward to the next episodes!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

54 by SenChen »»
Apr 14, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2019

59 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 15, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

27 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 14, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

39 by OneFaintingRobin »»
Mar 14, 2023 12:16 PM

Poll: » Kabukichou Sherlock Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

34 by EratiK »»
Sep 4, 2022 3:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.