Forum Settings
Forums

What "anime" must have in order to be a masterpiece?

New
Oct 11, 2019 8:39 AM

Jun 2019
Amazing Visuals? Relatable characters? Amazing fights? Good story? Unique settings? Very cool looking characters? Waifu material? Maybe all combined? Does it have to be sad? What makes your anime "Masterpieces", sure if you already have one.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 11, 2019 8:43 AM

Jun 2019
It has to blow my mind away and leave me at awe for how amazing and memorable it was! Shows with the good mindfuck usually falls under this category for me.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Oct 11, 2019 9:11 AM

Jun 2019
pls, comment here. iwanan know it. ireally do wanna know it
Oct 11, 2019 9:17 AM

Oct 2018
Well I'll give you an example. I just watched Vampire Hunter D (2000) and I think it's a masterpiece.

Oct 11, 2019 9:22 AM

Jun 2019
Mila91 said:
Well I'll give you an example. I just watched Vampire Hunter D (2000) and I think it's a masterpiece.
Seen that too, but why it's a masterpiece to you when to me it's just a overall good show? What that show has others may not have?
Oct 11, 2019 9:23 AM

Jun 2019
It was the aesthetic only? The story? The chara design? The dub maybe?
Oct 11, 2019 9:28 AM

Oct 2018
Its not a show but a movie, and it has mature themes, its overall sophisticated and elegant to look at, beautiful, has great characters, good dialog, it has meaning and message, great action.

For me a masterpiece is a anime that is a true work of art. With meaning and message. But it also has to entertain the viewer and not be boring and slow.

Oct 11, 2019 9:33 AM

Sep 2018
Why did you put "anime" in quotation mark?
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 11, 2019 9:40 AM

Oct 2017
I must really like it. Easy.

You don't need any specifications for declaring what a "masterpiece" is. It's you who decides based on anything.
Oct 11, 2019 9:49 AM

Nov 2016
It has to give me something new to think, or a new vision of the world/of the people.
Oct 11, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2016
It has to have good things that I don't wanna list because I'm too lazy to sorry.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Oct 11, 2019 11:04 AM

Jun 2017
Oct 11, 2019 2:18 PM

Oct 2008
Good art (character design, animation, background, fighting choreography)

Interesting or original story with character development

Backstory that serves to support an interesting story or make up for an original story's lack of compelling plot development.

Ending - preferably an emotional one.
Oct 11, 2019 3:59 PM

Jun 2019
Are you assuming I didn't though about it first? That's cute op
Oct 11, 2019 6:09 PM

Aug 2019
An immersive plot, with plenty of intrigue, mystery, depth and a unique premise and excellent world-building.

Characters with complex moralities and believable motivations given the context of the story.

At least good-great animation. Doesn't have to be outstanding.

An excellent OST. It's quite a big one for me and tends to add at least a point to the overall score.

Subverts my expectations. Anime which deviates and dares to stray away from the tropes of its genre or demographic it's associated with is a big plus.

A satisfying ending.

Oct 11, 2019 7:27 PM

Jan 2019
For me personally, it has to have an amazing soundtrack, well-written characters that develop as the anime progresses, a clever plot, and entertaining dialogue. That's just me.
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Oct 11, 2019 10:04 PM

Sep 2018
Soundtrack to die for and needs to make me cry at least twice.
Oct 11, 2019 10:16 PM

Jan 2019
It must make sense. It must look visually Unique. It must be different from other animes in some way. The Music must match it. It must have suspense to keep the viewers engaged.

A masterpiece to me would be Ghost in the Shell Arise: Border 5
Oct 11, 2019 10:17 PM

Jan 2018
A masterpiece, in my eyes, is something that has a clear goal in mind and not only achieves it, but accomplishes so in a unique and memorable way. It has to excel from a writing and directorial standpoint first and foremost; everything else is secondary (art, music, editing, voice acting, etc). The latter points obviously play a large role in the finished product, but writing and direction are absolutely key.

People will have varying opinions of what a masterpiece is. Sometimes it's just a matter of enjoyment. For me, I might rate something I deem a "technical masterpiece" poorly if I didn't enjoy it, but I can still acknowledge its merit as a work of art. NGE is a great example. Strong direction and writing, loads of symbolism. The kind of show I could dissect for years and never fully understand. I acknowledge its merit and could rightfully call it a masterpiece in that sense, but I still didn't care much for it. The presentation wasn't my cup of tea, but that doesn't make it any less of a great show.

Now when it boils down to personal scores, and that rare "9" I give to what I deem masterpieces, it's a combination of the aforementioned elements as well as the peak of my personal enjoyment. That's my definition of a masterpiece. They're the kinds of stories that I still think about weeks or months down the road.
GreyleafOct 11, 2019 10:33 PM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 11, 2019 10:30 PM

Jan 2009
to me it should have a good considered conclusive ending and its short enough watch like 20+ episodes at most since longer anime tends to have like a lot of filler like episodes anyway

and oh its easy to enough to understand by a layman or simple man like me too
Oct 11, 2019 10:38 PM

May 2014
It needs to be rated a 10 on your list.
Oct 12, 2019 4:54 AM
Aug 2013
Good character
Original
Good action scenes
Balance
Character development
Story
Meaning, reason and purpose
Foreshadowing
Backstory
Makes sense and everything connects
World building
Pacing - not too slow or too rushed
Cliff hangers
Relatable
Unpredictable
Plot twists
Loss and overcoming struggle
Emotions
Antagonist & protagonist
Memorable
Can you rewatch it multiple times?
How does it age?
Entertaining
The psychology how the characters are thinking during certain moments
No fillers and minimum flashbacks
Good music and opening
Good voice acting
Speech and dialect - how does the character speak and choice of wording, cool quotes, etc..
Timing - the timing in which unpredictable events happen, does the character save the moment, ruin the moment, too late to arrive on time, jump scare scenes, etc...
Flow - scenes and events should flow nicely
Cinamatic techniques - camera movement, angles, transitions, etc
Art style & colour palette - colours can often control emotions and temperature to help set a mood
Theme & plot
Planning and details - include as many details as possible in the most interesting ways instead of just doing flashbacks, everything has to be foreshadowed and planned out carefully to reveal new information as you're watching.
Animation quality
Point of view & perspective - 1st person, 2nd person & 3rd person perspective...perspective from the villain and main characters point of view
Goals - what is the characters goals
Real life references & research - you always want to learn while watching anime, try to research how something works in real life and explain it in the anime how things work and include references to real things

AnimeDownUnderOct 12, 2019 5:08 AM
~AnimeDownUnder~

Oct 12, 2019 5:22 AM

Dec 2018
What makes a piece of art masterpiece may vary. From the most comprehensive perspective, one might claim everything from a masterpiece needs to reach perfection, from visuals, music, directing, character development, plot to personal enjoyment. But the more I watch, the less I know. I used to think identically as what seems to be the universal answer of your question which I've just mentioned. But now, I think differently. "2001: A Space Odyssey" was a masterpiece in my opinion, but there were little to no characterization, but it rather thoroughly focused on its grand themes and the fastidiousness of epic space opera. It was beyond complex to comprehend why such weak characters but so exemplary could contribute so much to this masterpiece. It made everything far more enigmatic, ambiguous and metrical, which I believe with consolidated character development wouldn't have made it a widespread sensation. Or in "Pulp Fiction", the movie that proves the unorthodox vulgarity could transcend to be something so superb. Those were some very popular examples to therefore prove that, what makes every artwork a magnum opus could not be accounted. Although there were no anime, but they functioned similarly. Every work of art has its very own merits that leaves each individual to decide whether or not it is a masterpiece. (Of course, be sure to delve into it as much as possible to make up your mind, knowing what themes it was trying to deliver to thusly decide for its artistic decisions and execution.)
PreacheeOct 12, 2019 8:59 PM
. . .
Oct 12, 2019 5:28 AM

Feb 2015
Character design and soundtrack would probably be my 2 top elements that get to be a deciding factor for masterpiece status.
Oct 12, 2019 5:29 AM

Aug 2018
- Less Harem
- Better plot/story.
- Better character development.
- Interesting backstories.
- Unpredictability.
- Adding element of thrill and surprise to the viewer.
- Unparalleled world building if it's an Isekai.
- Less of 3D content.
- Good background music.
- Good opening and ending OSTs.
- Less use of color bleeding effects which give viewers seizures.
- Must be relatable or make the viewer emotionally attached, captivated.
- Must NOT bore the viewer.
- Must NOT end the season in a very weird cliff hanger forcing viewers to wait for months or years.

That's all I can think of for now.

Oct 12, 2019 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
It depends on what you consider a masterpiece, now snootists will want to say there is a top of the mountain, and have their holy grail all time favorite sit proudly on the mantle. I say nay, children. A masterpiece status can be earned through multiple means: It can please the majority, it can overwhelmingly please the individual, or it can complete itself beyond reproach. Either way, its all about the reception and not the delivery, its about how viewer/s feel about it that makes something a masterpiece. Snobs like to take garbage and call it a masterpiece artwork based on intentions or the hands making the garbage, and if the reception is good, it could be a masterpiece, but mostly its just garbage the "in the know" want to brag to each other about. IT REALLY IS, only about the reception.

Option A, would be like full metal alchemist brotherhood. While some people will go out of their way to exploit its weakness, most people you encounter will already have or will have a love for that media. No getting around it, its just so damn likable. International love fest.

Option B, You know what I mean. That show that just hits you the right way, that giddy feeling no adult (or teen for that matter) should get when watching an animated program. Even if its something distressingly sad or outrageously funny, if it just hits you that perfect way even for just a bit, then it counts. Sometimes it can even be one moment, as long as there is nothing so off putting about the rest of the content that the single moment becomes tainted.

The last circumstance and probably my favorite, is when its just the perfectly fitted item for the intention. The perfect key for the intended lock. These types can be awe inspiring, but dont have to be. They could be depressing, but they don't have to be. It's just any single strand of content, that just perfectly complements itself and did everything it intended to do. Show's like Ben-To or how heavy are the dumbbells you lift?, they weren't out to rewrite history, they had a specific intention, and did everything they sought out to do, and was satisfactory in doing so.

Likewise a ripoff show can be a masterpiece as well, as long as its intention was to emulate something else completely without shame, and people adore it.

Some would argue, all three are required, some would have completely different base level expectations of what it means to be a masterpiece altogether, I say life is to short for all that.

TLDR: Its the feelings the anime invoke from the viewer, self or otherwise. The contents can be almost anything as we never really 100% know what is gonna make or break our days.

removed-userOct 12, 2019 7:27 AM
Oct 12, 2019 2:59 PM

Sep 2018
Great cinematography,a rich story that explores its themes on a level almost no other show did, complex and well developed characters, needs to be somewhat original and it also needs to achive its goal for me personally. These points vary, something does not need to be a mindblowing character study to be a Masterpiece (i.e 2001 a space Odysee) etc.

A story with some silly moments or nitpicks can still be a Masterpiece, its just not as likely since those most of the time hinder the exploration of the core theme,character point or story.

A Masterpiece is a rare encounter for me and most of them are the things i rate 10/10, before i give something a 10/10 i always ask myself "is it as good as the other things you gave a 10/10, or at least very close" if not than its a 9 there i ask myself the same thing until the show gets its score. Thats why i would even consider some 9s Masterpieces in their own right.
-Mullerio-Oct 12, 2019 3:12 PM
Oct 12, 2019 3:04 PM

Dec 2018
2 things:

1: it needs to be memorable, something unique that sets it apart from other shows in its genre.

2: it needs to withstand the test of time. It needs to give that same majestic feeling if you rewatch it X years later.
Oregairu is life
Oct 12, 2019 11:13 PM

Dec 2018
a materpiece or personal favourite in your own opinioin my guy
Oct 12, 2019 11:19 PM

May 2018
It must be good enough to become my favorite.
Oct 13, 2019 8:24 AM
Jul 2018
Be enjoyable, surpass my expectations, and have tons of rewatch value.
Oct 13, 2019 6:15 PM

Oct 2015
Greyleaf said:
A masterpiece, in my eyes, is something that has a clear goal in mind and not only achieves it, but accomplishes so in a unique and memorable way. It has to excel from a writing and directorial standpoint first and foremost; everything else is secondary (art, music, editing, voice acting, etc). The latter points obviously play a large role in the finished product, but writing and direction are absolutely key.

People will have varying opinions of what a masterpiece is. Sometimes it's just a matter of enjoyment. For me, I might rate something I deem a "technical masterpiece" poorly if I didn't enjoy it, but I can still acknowledge its merit as a work of art. NGE is a great example. Strong direction and writing, loads of symbolism. The kind of show I could dissect for years and never fully understand. I acknowledge its merit and could rightfully call it a masterpiece in that sense, but I still didn't care much for it. The presentation wasn't my cup of tea, but that doesn't make it any less of a great show.

Now when it boils down to personal scores, and that rare "9" I give to what I deem masterpieces, it's a combination of the aforementioned elements as well as the peak of my personal enjoyment. That's my definition of a masterpiece. They're the kinds of stories that I still think about weeks or months down the road.

To add to this, since I found it quite similar, to be anointed to apotheotic praise for me is simple, all of which I've enlisted as 10--that segregates them from being a 9-- are anime, films, books, music that has done me huge favor in my life. Essentially, my 9s and 10s are practically the same, only difference was which of it became a larger than life material for me. EoE, Jojo Part 7, Low by David Bowie and Karma by Pharaoh Sanders (and not it's holistic entry, but Joe Yabuki from Ashita no Joe) are art that preceded and truly helped me with life, as I can say without these four, I wouldn't be where I am today, who I am today. Simple, but effectively as that.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 13, 2019 6:22 PM

Jan 2018
-Lofn- said:
Greyleaf said:

To add to this, since I found it quite similar, to be anointed to apotheotic praise for me is simple, all of which I've enlisted as 10--that segregates them from being a 9-- are anime, films, books, music that has done me huge favor in my life. Essentially, my 9s and 10s are practically the same, only difference was which of it became a larger than life material for me. EoE, Jojo Part 7, Low by David Bowie and Karma by Pharaoh Sanders (and not it's holistic entry, but Joe Yabuki from Ashita no Joe) are art that preceded and truly helped me with life, as I can say without these four, I wouldn't be where I am today, who I am today. Simple, but effectively as that.

Very well put; these are my sentiments exactly. The five 10s I've ever given for any form of visual media all tie back to this same principle: did it actually affect my life or the way I see life in some way, shape, or form? That's not a masterpiece to me. That's what I call "transcendent."

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 13, 2019 6:36 PM
Jan 2019
For me, in order to rate an anime, I think about a multitude of criteria and base my opinion on the anime on how many criteria the anime in question fulfills. For example, the number one criteria for me is enjoyability. Did I have fun watching it? Was it easy to go from one episode to the next, or did I have to take breaks every few episodes to get my desire to watch it back up again? An anime that has high enjoyability never scores less than a 6 on my list.

The second most important category is story/characters. Did the story draw me in? Did I genuinely care about what was going to happen next in the story. How well did they make me feel like I was a part of setting? The only exception to this is if it is a SOL anime. If it is, then story is thrown out the window and I focus solely on characters.

Other than those, I also take art/animation, voice acting, OST, and how it ends into account. The ending is the most important of this group, followed by VA, art/animation, and lastly, OST. All of these things are necessary to be a 10/10.
Oct 13, 2019 6:44 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
All aspects of a show that blend so well together is what I'd say is a 10/10. If I enjoy everything a show has to offer then it's definitely worthy of it.
Oct 13, 2019 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not a critic. So I can't say from an objective lens what makes an anime a masterpiece. However, I can say what it needs in order to be a masterpiece to me personally:

-Great/unique animation/artstyle
-Entertaining, multi-dimensional characters whose motives and reasoning I understand.
-Dramatic moments
-Good pacing: not too fast, not too slow
-Twists and turns
-A premise that deeply appeals to me (something like the premise of Monster or Vinland Saga): I guess I like anime where the premise involves the protagonist having a high-stake motivation.
-Preferably put characters into difficult situations that make it impossible for me to figure out how they'll get out of it (something like Kaiji)
-Non-episodic; episodic anime lack the depth/complexity that non-episodic anime are capable of.
-Preferably an interesting setting
-An end goal, preferably

InTheDatabase said:
2 things:

1: it needs to be memorable, something unique that sets it apart from other shows in its genre.

2: it needs to withstand the test of time. It needs to give that same majestic feeling if you rewatch it X years later.

I feel like Jojo accomplishes step 1 fantastically. But step 2...I can't help but theorize that if I were to rewatch the parts of Jojo, I'd be kinda bored, to a degree. There are anime like Jojo where it's like, the main enjoyment comes from the shock value of the first viewing, which covers up the lack of plot and character development.

@OfDeathandLove

What does an anime have to have to be a masterpiece to you?
removed-userOct 13, 2019 6:55 PM
Oct 13, 2019 7:10 PM

Oct 2013
The story has to keep me engaged the whole time and most of the characters have to have something I like about them. That's pretty much it.
Oct 13, 2019 7:16 PM

Oct 2019
It must leave a positive impact that you will never forget.
Watch FLCL. Got it
Oct 13, 2019 7:28 PM
Feb 2019
Undeniable significance, whether visually or story-wise and immense influence and popularity enough to also be significant in anime history? Simply, basically that.
From what I've seen, Akira. Recently, Steins;Gate?
And, Kimi no na wa could've been... If it was actually as good as people make it to be. No offense. Also, Ghost in the Shell, but if it was more popular.

Okay, my fault. I mistook it for "Classic".
AnnyxtophelesOct 13, 2019 7:32 PM
Oct 13, 2019 7:37 PM
Feb 2019
Flawlessness and exceedingly great execution for an amazing concept? I don't know man, in that sense, nothing(anime)'s a masterpiece. From what I've seen at least, (I haven't seen many anime, so...).
Oct 14, 2019 9:48 AM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
@AbsurdistOtaku

I mean, it may seem obvious, but to me a masterpiece must:
-Have a high quality (in general, across the board. I'm not going to go into detail)
-Have a (mostly) completed story (ending on a plot twist ≠ a masterpiece)
-Still be interesting on a rewatch (if the crux of the quality of the story is a plot twist that isn't well foreshadowed, the rewatch is not going to be great)

Not too complicated. If I go too complicated, I'll accidentally exclude something I consider a masterpiece.

AbsurdistOtaku said:
-Non-episodic; episodic anime lack the depth/complexity that non-episodic anime are capable of.

Does this mean Mushishi isn't a masterpiece to you? e.e
OfDeathandLoveOct 14, 2019 9:52 AM

Oct 14, 2019 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
OfDeathandLove said:
@AbsurdistOtaku

I mean, it may seem obvious, but to me a masterpiece must:
-Have a high quality (in general, across the board. I'm not going to go into detail)
-Have a (mostly) completed story (ending on a plot twist ≠ a masterpiece)
-Still be interesting on a rewatch (if the crux of the quality of the story is a plot twist that isn't well foreshadowed, the rewatch is not going to be great)

Not too complicated.

AbsurdistOtaku said:

Does this mean Mushishi isn't a masterpiece to you? e.e

I love Mushishi, but I don't understand why people think it's a masterpiece. I find Mushishi to be too...safe in how it constructs itself, if that makes sense. The characters aren't memorable, barely have any personality, the stories are extremely straightforward. Even though I've criticized Jojo, I feel as though Jojo is a series with far more ambition, risk-taking, and creativity, even though in many ways it's episodic.
Oct 14, 2019 9:58 AM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
AbsurdistOtaku said:
I love Mushishi, but I don't understand why people think it's a masterpiece. I find Mushishi to be too...safe in how it constructs itself, if that makes sense. The characters aren't memorable, barely have any personality, the stories are extremely straightforward. Even though I've criticized Jojo, I feel as though Jojo is a series with far more ambition, risk-taking, and creativity, even though in many ways it's episodic.

I think you're looking at it in too grand a scale. It's like criticizing a picture of a forest painting because it doesn't have enough color. The characters aren't memorable because of a personality, but because of the circumstances and story surrounding them. It's hard to create a strong personality in 23 minutes, and having a character with too much personality would honestly ruin it. The stories do have some twists, but I don't think it needs to be necessary.

In short, it feels like you're criticizing this:

for not being this:

When the first one is just as beautiful, and if it even tried to be the second one, it would be ruined.

The second one might be more your taste, but that doesn't diminish the inherent quality of the first one.

Sometimes simplicity is better.

Oct 14, 2019 10:03 AM

Sep 2018
I've thought about this quite a lot actually. For me what makes a masterpiece is an one-of-a-kind entertaining yet deep story about timeless subjects. It catches my attention from the very first scenes and stays interesting from start to finish. It's pleasing both visually and emotionally. A show worthy of a ten doesn't make me think "god I wish this episode was over already". It awakens emotions, thoughts and leaves a mark for a longer period of time, makes me crave for more similar content.
Oct 14, 2019 10:09 AM

Apr 2015
It must have the special Something to be a masterpiece
Oct 14, 2019 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
OfDeathandLove said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:

I think you're looking at it in too grand a scale. It's like criticizing a picture of a forest painting because it doesn't have enough color. The characters aren't memorable because of a personality, but because of the circumstances and story surrounding them. It's hard to create a strong personality in 23 minutes, and having a character with too much personality would honestly ruin it. The stories do have some twists, but I don't think it needs to be necessary.

for not being this:

When the first one is just as beautiful, and if it even tried to be the second one, it would be ruined.

The second one might be more your taste, but that doesn't diminish the inherent quality of the first one.

Yeah, I know and also think that way.
I think Mushishi is very good and I liked the atmosphere and some of the episodic stories very much. I just got so much less emotional attachement to it overall than to other stories, where I got a lot of emotional attachement to the characters, setting and story.
So I really like it, but I can't tell anime like this become my favorites. I think it could be a masterpiece in its own way, but I can't rate it like that. When I think about it, I literally think "yeah, it was very good" and that's how my rating looks like.

These two pictures: The first picture is beautiful too, but I will remember the second one, the first one not so long.
removed-userOct 14, 2019 10:25 AM
Oct 14, 2019 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
OfDeathandLove said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:

for not being this:

I think I understand your point of view, but I feel as though Mushishi is too simple, which can be a problem I think, just as how anime can be too complex. Even iyashikei anime like Natsume's Book of Friends, to me anyways, feel less repetitive, because of their more slightly complex characters, and varied stories and tone.
Like, I hear people call Mushishi an amazing series, but never really what makes it amazing, other than the art and atmospheric tone, which I don't think are enough for an anime to be a masterpiece.
Oct 14, 2019 10:25 AM
Jan 2019
If you ask me, I would say that it should have a good story line.
Oct 14, 2019 10:30 AM

Mar 2016
Two simple things:
1) Stick to its own rules throughout its run time;
2) Only showcasing what's necessary to the story. There's no need for scenes that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Examples: Fate/Zero, Hunter x Hunter (2011), FMA:B and Mononoke Hime.

Everything else is also important but not as much as this two things.
Oct 14, 2019 10:43 AM

Jul 2016
For me a masterpiece has to:

1. have a good story, i know this is subjective to the person and not everyone will enjoy it, but if i think at least 8 or 9 out of 10 people will say this story is good then that enters in this category.

2. the production itself. What i mean with thit is shows where they dont add unnecessary scenes that have no reason to be there or when they make some scenes longer just to make time and reach the 24 minutes mark. There has been other situations where they adapt the scene just like in the original source but the director didin't know what to do with it so they literally just didn't do anything with it. No dialog, music or movement, literally just a manga color page in the middle of a show just to extend the duration of the episode making the show feel awkward .

3. Add something original or unique. If its just something you would find in another show then its definetly not a masterpiece. Masterpiece for me its something unique that you rarely find and its hard to copy.

4 This is just an extremely personal point, but for me the sound is really important for a show to be a masterpiece. With this i include Voice acting and the OST in general. If the show doesn't have a good soundtrack that moves you or makes you more involved into what you're watching or has voice actors that feel like they are just there because they have to and not because they are enjoying their role, then i cant consider that show a masterpiece.

5. Personal enjoyment of course. I wont rate something a masterpiece if i dont like the show. I dont care if everyone in the world think is the best show ever made, if i dont find personal enjoyment out of it, or just think its just another show then of course its not a masterpiece in my opinion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

28 by Kaikaidou »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
9 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
43 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
50 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.