Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you like that has a low score or is heavily hated on?

New
Oct 11, 2019 8:27 AM

Jun 2019
Saw a thread about anime people dislike with a high score, so I thought I would make the opposite. Mine would be Darling in the FranXX and of course the most controversial, the first season of SAO, which I both enjoyed.
yxcksonOct 11, 2019 8:36 AM
professional women respecter
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 11, 2019 8:30 AM

Jun 2019
*insert all of ecchi/harem shows that I've seen thus far*

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Oct 11, 2019 8:33 AM
May 2018
Fairy Tail, despite 7.99 rating, is one of the most despised series from my experience. Also Black Clover has the low score is mostly due to the animation in the beginning of the show, but it's really good now now and people are realizing the potential of this series (apparently the manga is much better tho).
Oct 11, 2019 8:37 AM

Jan 2019
Bikini Warriors. Each episode is about 4 minutes long. It's about Half Naked girls with nice ass and titties who do perverted things and get treated pervertedly in an RPG like world. Basic ECCHI with decent Comedy. I don't understand how in the fuck an Anime for Ass and Tits and Comedy is rated 5.28... What else could they watch it for? Couldn't be the plot.
Oct 11, 2019 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
Happy Sugar Life is one of the best psychological thrillers that I've seen in anime, I really don't get why it has score of 7.04.
Oct 11, 2019 8:42 AM

Apr 2017
The OreImo specials, you know which ones;

Eromanga-sensei;

The Deen adaptation of Fate/stay night;

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira
cunnysseur
Oct 11, 2019 9:19 AM
May 2018
Tista said:
Dunno if it's hated but "Shuumatsu no Izetta" was a good anime despite its cliche ending.
Aybid said:
Fairy Tail is one of the most despised series...
... for a good reason, tho.

I disagree. Despite it having the obvious flaws that I do not need to state, it does a lot of things well, but haters will be ignorant of those things because people are way too negative these days.
Oct 11, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2016
Probably Amagi Brilliant Park. 2 of the episodes are trash though
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Oct 11, 2019 10:02 AM
Sep 2016
School Days. As a comedy it isn't as bad as people say imo.
Oct 11, 2019 11:17 AM

Jun 2017
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32294

Nothing is better than bad
Oct 11, 2019 11:36 AM

Jul 2017
Okaasan Online. It's trash just like a lot of the uninspired Isekai we're seeing lately, but I don't know what sort of audience it managed to gather to be sitting at a score that low compared to the rest of them.

Aybid said:
Fairy Tail, despite 7.99 rating, is one of the most despised series from my experience.

For perfectly good reason though, it's an insulting excuse for anything. In fact I'd say it doesn't deserve the hate, because at this point the haters have more passion for the series than the creator himself does lol

Oct 11, 2019 11:39 AM

Dec 2015
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36027/Ousama_Game_The_Animation?q=game
Super fun show, a bit sad that the canceled season 2.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/23079/Glasslip?q=glas
Really like this one, it's a damn unique drama/romance show.
And dosen't follow the same path as most romance shows does.

As long as I enjoy a show I rate it based on that, don't give 5 fack about what meanscore it already have.

Oct 11, 2019 11:47 AM

Oct 2014
One Punch Man season 2. I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed it a lot more than S1.
Oct 11, 2019 11:51 AM
May 2019
- Citrus
- Mirai Nikki
- Fairy Tail
- SAO
- Date A Live III
XstasyOct 11, 2019 12:02 PM
Oct 11, 2019 11:53 AM

Apr 2016
Sword Art Online
Re:CREATORS
Fuuka

Oct 11, 2019 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
Daimdaler.. Even though im not a fan of the mecha genre... Everything there was pretty good.

Oct 11, 2019 12:43 PM

Jun 2019
What is the threshold for what you consider to be a low score, OP?

PunkRocker2001 said:
Happy Sugar Life is one of the best psychological thrillers that I've seen in anime, I really don't get why it has score of 7.04.

That's an obvious one. Because its content is too controversial for a lot of people. Simply put, beyond the female on female love aspect, and beyond even any of the kidnapping, rape, or murder, a lot of people are going to be uncomfortable with any material that's perceived as putting an ostensible if not explicit pedophile in the role of a tragic hero. That's not my view and I quite like the show, but I'm certain that's responsible for a lot of the negative reception surrounding it.
WatchTillTandavaOct 11, 2019 12:46 PM
Oct 11, 2019 12:50 PM

Nov 2017
Kakegurui is absolutely the most hated anime on my favorite list. Kiznaiver and Code:Realize - Sousei no Himegimi are underrated as well.
Oct 11, 2019 1:06 PM
May 2019
WatchTillTandava said:

PunkRocker2001 said:

That's an obvious one. Because its content is too controversial for a lot of people. Simply put, beyond the female on female love aspect, and beyond even any of the kidnapping, rape, or murder, a lot of people are going to be uncomfortable with any material that's perceived as putting an ostensible if not explicit pedophile in the role of a tragic hero. That's not my view and I quite like the show, but I'm certain that's responsible for a lot of the negative reception surrounding it.

Is it good would you recommend it cause psychological thriller is my favorite genre and I'm always on the lookout for more hidden gems from that genre.
Oct 11, 2019 1:09 PM

Jun 2015
Punch Line is definetely one. It's funny, has a good cast of characters, good animation, interesting story and some very good plot twists. It deserved much more than the 7.09 it got. More like a 7.80 IMO (I gave it 9, though).

I can't believe it has a lower score than Flip Flappers, when the two are so similar and Punchline is better in every possible way (maybe slightly worse animation). Maybe people get turned off by the fan service? But then again Highschool DxD has 7.48, so maybe it doesn't have enough fanservice?
AnotherGuyOct 11, 2019 1:12 PM
Oct 11, 2019 1:16 PM
Aug 2015
Granbelm was stuck around 6 while it was airing and just reached 7 after airing, it deserves a LOT better
Oct 11, 2019 1:31 PM
Jun 2019
Most of the anime written here has a score of 7 or greater.This is not a low score anime. 7 on a mal scale is "good".
So I think most of these answers don't make sense.
Oct 11, 2019 1:32 PM

Jun 2019
Xstasy said:
WatchTillTandava said:

Is it good would you recommend it cause psychological thriller is my favorite genre and I'm always on the lookout for more hidden gems from that genre.

It is. I love thrillers as well, but I'd say I found it, while entertaining, more heartwrenching than frightening, disturbing, or surprising (but I'm desensitized as hell, so probably a bad arbiter on that). I'd say it takes you on an emotional rollercoaster with compelling content each episode, a dark throughout despite oscillating between grisly events and comedic relief + almost Slice of Life-esque downtime, and did something I really respect by placing someone who would be the villain in a lot of other shows as the POV character.

Are you familiar with the Lifetime movie network in the U.S.? Nowadays it's mocked for having a lot of sappy and rushed made for TV movies, but in the 90s they seemed to have some more raw stories about teenagers committing murder, suicide/self-harm, schizoprehenics and bipolar cases, child abduction, etc. And I loved these budget thriller flicks. It actually reminds me of a longer more plotted (and animated) version of that. The animation is nice, but not hyper-realistic or anything - It's just standard anime animation, and yet still, it feels like something that could have been a live action thriller on Lifetime.

Maybe it's also the anime equivalent of something like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer or Natural Born Killers. Like a down to earth portrayal of an abnormal minded criminal deviant that can be shocking or even a little endearing. There are a few superfluous characters and dumb kind of anime humor scenes (IMO), but it also felt like a slightly lesser non-supernatural Elfen Lied to me, as another example. It's an 8 to me. Satou FTW.
Oct 11, 2019 1:40 PM

Oct 2017
nazsa said:
School Days. As a comedy it isn't as bad as people say imo.

School days is a brilliant show bad animation aside. The intro song is a banger too.

Oct 11, 2019 1:44 PM

Sep 2017
Gunslinger Girl, it should have personally, 8 minimum.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Oct 11, 2019 2:02 PM

Jun 2019
Fairy Tail, i've always liked it, but that's only because I started watching it years ago, so it's got sentimental value for me. But it's a show that draws a lot of hate, and I can kinda understand why, the story starts strong with a great cast of interesting characters, but that potential isn't fulfilled, and although it's an enjoyable watch, it could've been so much better. As a thought exercise, if I hadn't watched it then I'm not sure I'd pick it up now.

I'd say a "low score" would be 5 or below, an undisputedly poor show. Even so I imagine there's someone who liked it. I haven't completed any shows that I scored that low, I'd drop them after a few eps.
Oct 11, 2019 2:13 PM

Nov 2016
My are
SAO,Arifureta,ulysses,isekai magician and okaa-san online (there are more but this came on my mind first)
Oct 11, 2019 2:17 PM

Jan 2018
i think genocyber is awesome, despite all the hate it gets and how objectively crappy it is. the gore completely makes up for it though lol. also someone mentioned happy sugar life here, i liked that one as well.
Oct 11, 2019 2:39 PM

Jun 2019
A lot of hentais, citrus, watamote, and school days
Oct 11, 2019 2:48 PM

Jul 2015
Tasel said:
The OreImo specials, you know which ones;

Eromanga-sensei;

The Deen adaptation of Fate/stay night;

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira

I can relate to this comment.
Although, While I enjoyed FSN2006 as my first fate, when I later found out that they had spoilt major UBW and HF plot twists, I felt like ripping off a few heads
It's okay to smirk

Oct 11, 2019 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
Evangelion
I know, It´s got a high score and has critical acclaim, but alot of people that I know scoff at it, call it "2deep4me" and cant seem to put themselves in the shoes of the characters at all. When did people become THAT dependent on self-inserts?

Oh and literally ANY analysis of the show is seen as "reaching" and just fan theories, even if the show goes out of its way to be extra clear about its themes and say "this is what this show is about" (think of hedgehog's dilemma and human instrumentality, kabbala etc)
It's okay to smirk

Oct 11, 2019 3:00 PM

Mar 2019
Lululand said:
Byousoku 5 Sentimentoru or 5 Centimeters per Second

It's the best Makoto Shinkai's movie and its score is under 8,00.
i think its gotten tht rating because of how bitter the ending was, i really enjoyed the movie but the bitterness i felt when it ended is something tht hasent been surpassed by any other anime tht ive watched
Oct 11, 2019 3:00 PM
Jan 2012
Gokudolls, a.k.a. Back Street Girls. It's dumb, and it's animation is definitely poor, but it's my kind of dumb, and the animation being poor doesn't matter and even sets it apart from other comedy shows to me. You could probably write a hundred different and better jokes with the premise it has, but I don't care, I enjoy the humor.
Oct 11, 2019 3:10 PM

May 2009
There's a bunch, but probably the one with the lowest MAL score -- not just below 7, but even below 6.5 -- is Beatless.

I think it's misunderstood by a lot of people who rated it low.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 11, 2019 3:17 PM
Oct 2019
Shitaste said:

Insert all ecchi/harem series that exist
Oct 11, 2019 3:19 PM
Sep 2018
PunkRocker2001 said:
i hated it because of how dumb all the characters were, thinking that they could get away with it all
Oct 11, 2019 3:34 PM

Oct 2017
One Punch Man season 2 - The animation and art are worse than season 1 but the content is superior. Season 1 was mostly just establishing Saitama's strength and introducing characters. Season 2 does a lot more to develop the characters and advance the story. If it had the same production quality as season 1 it would surpass it in much the same way Mob Psycho 100's second season surpassed the first.

School Days - It's not fantastic but it's not deserving of the level of hate it gets.

Ousama Game - I think it's terrible but I like it anyway. It's an entertaining sort of bad show.
Oct 11, 2019 5:35 PM
Jul 2018
There are plenty I have in mind:

Haruhi Suzumiya - it may be intolerable to some but many like myself love it due to the impact it made to the anime community

The World God Only Knows - a way better harem than the most popular harems

Bungou Stray Dogs - it's not the best but it could deserve better

Black Butler - it was probably the ending (or the out of place comedy) that turned off many

Pandora Hearts - the animation and the anime ending is pretty shit but everything else is absolutely great
Oct 11, 2019 8:11 PM

Jan 2019
Well two of my all time favorites are Darling in the Franxx and SAO (seasons 1 and 2 + film) and I feel like both of them get way too much hate. Some others I love that have lower scores are Gamers, The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan, Fuuka, and Masamune-kun’s Revenge.
Oct 11, 2019 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
Shitaste said:

Cat Planet Cuties is the definition of this. I fucking love that shit
Oct 11, 2019 11:14 PM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Some of my guilty pleasures are cute and overly clichéd Shoujo romances. They're usually full of unpopular tropes, so people tend to avoid them for their repetitive use of stereotypes. I like to list Wolf Girl & Black Prince in that context. Luckily, there are other examples like Fruits Basket that seem to be loved by most people.

Also, Jojo doesn't have a low rating, but I often get hate messages for it being my favorite anime and manga. I don't know how much you need to hate something to go that far, but here we are. I even accept that some people just don't like it, so I really can't see the reason why it would trigger them.
Haptism93Oct 11, 2019 11:53 PM

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Oct 11, 2019 11:32 PM
Oct 2019
insert all ecchi/harem shows that Exist

Gonna down vote thoses ecchi harem series
Like a good little sheep following the herd
Oct 11, 2019 11:38 PM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
Amnesia: The Animation. I don't care if the main character has the personality of milk or that I probably have my nostalgia glasses on, that show is probably the best reverse harem that I can think of.

Oct 11, 2019 11:44 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Shitaste said:

LittleCr0wxxx said:

insert all of ecchi/harem shows that I've seen thus far

Oct 11, 2019 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
Scrapped Princess has a good score but I still think it deserves a somewhat higher score, I don't think it should be less than 7.5. Also, while it has a decent score, I think Digimon Tamers should have a higher score than Adventure. Watamote also deserves a higher score.

LittleCr0wxxx said:
Shitaste said:

Even Abunai Sisters?
removed-userOct 12, 2019 6:39 PM
Oct 12, 2019 1:13 AM

Jun 2016
akame ga kill. yea the ending was a bit wank but overall i still really like it
Scream!
Oct 12, 2019 4:38 AM

May 2015
well most imouto romance anime that has those really low ratings. hahah

Oct 12, 2019 5:08 AM

Dec 2015
Aku no Hana please give this psycho-drama a chance for the sake of depth/art.
Oct 12, 2019 7:53 AM

Feb 2019
Watamote. It's realest shit. Only people don't know how introverts are, hate it and there are a lot of them sadly.
Oct 12, 2019 8:19 AM

Apr 2018
11eyes,divine gate and guilty crown
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 9 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

92 by JaniSIr »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

49 by fae »»
14 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.