Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 10, 2019 6:29 PM

Mar 2017
Finally a Madhouse show which looks like it's classic stuff. Instead of more isekai trash or CGDCT anime. Promising start with this and Chihayafuru could be best mad house has done in awhile.
Brandon2149Oct 10, 2019 6:32 PM
Oct 10, 2019 7:13 PM

Dec 2018
The pace was a little slow but still fine, atmosphere was great and those 3D environments were really well made, let's see if Madhouse delivers.
Oct 10, 2019 7:18 PM

Sep 2008
that was the weakest punch I've ever seen.
there's no fucking way that punching a speeding train looks like that.
and this had to happen after he yelled a chuuni attack name...
overall it was underwhelming but I'll keep watching.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 10, 2019 8:54 PM

May 2019
The OP is really good. Also good first episode. This is so underrated.
Oct 10, 2019 9:11 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty unique setting. I'm not sold yet, but I'm definitely going to continue. I wish the stupid embarrassed face thing didn't happen whenever he sees boobs tho. It really doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the ep, and it's especially weird when his head is literally a gun.
Oct 10, 2019 10:03 PM

Dec 2018
live posting:

two gun-related anime coming out this season, wonder which one will wind up better?

oh right, this one is the one with gunhead, nvm lol.

sweet OP!!

aww, he still bloosh even thought he was tryna be all mysterious!

and huh, the symbol on the tower kinda reminds me of Neptune's symbol...

maan, this anime just has me enrapt, honestly

ah, he just spouted out an analysis of the situation so clearly, reminded me of sherlock, lol

daamn, that's a huge impact from her bullets on the pillars

yeah, i figured that tweak to his face/head wasn't quite voluntary

yoo, he looks so cool getting all pissed like that!!

oof, rip mr stretchy arms...

damn, he's worth a -sama!?

hmm, the way he said "my body", and she said his flesh was the companies... Reminds me of those "do you own the things you buy?" debates going on lately.

ohh, so that was his body that he had grabbed and was lugging around

oh dam, he put a tracker on Tetsuro's body!!

oh, he also has a gun in his hand, nice

im sorry, unreal engine!?

ah, one of those scattered dialogue previews, huh?
~~
*slams this down as an 8 and looks forward to more*
Oct 10, 2019 10:20 PM

Apr 2018
Not bad but not anything too special so far. Seems like a pretty generic cyberpunk story. It's got all the aesthetics, like the dark colors and the big spooky evil corporation. At least the concept for the MC having a gun for a head is pretty original.
Oct 10, 2019 10:31 PM

Mar 2010
Good episode. .Excited to see the next episode
Oct 11, 2019 12:48 AM

Jul 2017
Well...finally Madhouse is back, with the adaptation of the anthropomorphic man with a gun for his head. Expecting good things about this show. Aside from the weird and polarising CGI.

Really curious how this'll end up, it seems like the typical asinine good vs. evil story brewed up in a cyberpunk dystopian future.

Pretty cool that the ED is fully Unreal Engine-powered and done by an outsourced studio, plus the catchy OP that I'd have to get used to it.

What a wild ride, I'm definitely stoked for more.
Oct 11, 2019 2:57 AM

Apr 2018
Haven't seen Madhouse in a while but this anime sure looks promising. A guy with a huge gun as a head, you can't go wrong with that
Oct 11, 2019 4:30 AM

Sep 2019
I can't get over how much I love Inui's design. There's just something that's pleasing about it and it isn't just that sick gun. Damn, though, he's got me verbally saying, "fuck he's cool!" out loud. I don't remember the last time I've done that to an anime.

Also, from behind when he's smoking, Inui looks like his barrel is smoking. (I mean, does the barrel exit act as a nose? Probably could exhale through there.)

Good starter episode though; good intrigue, good character, and a setting that makes me want to learn more.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 11, 2019 4:35 AM
Jul 2019
OST is great! (I have mixed feelings about the OP) It gives me P.I. vibes. And looks like this anime got the Overlord treatment, mouths aren't moving. Pretty interesting so far.
Oct 11, 2019 6:16 AM

Oct 2013
It was about what I expected, pretty good.
Oct 11, 2019 6:37 AM
Apr 2018
I really don't understand anime community !!!
When they can put high rating for dr.stone and vinland saga(haven't watched dr stone and I don't plan to) which doesn't have lit of animation in beginning, they're putting a low rating for this ?
Also all madhouse shows pre produced before it aires except the ones that runs for 3 cour or more , there is already a 2nd cour in production as part of season 1 which will aire at april 2020 , there will be one season gap
This is like how critics overrate marvel movies like captain marvel .

Usually , studios doesn't adapt these kind of shows because it ain't popular at all in japan , in other words they're making this for western audiences , I am pretty sure this is a promotion so no losses I guess unless they put in more effort.

So yeah appreciate these kind of shows , never forget madhouse made history back in the old days . They just went super quiet after 2015 bankruptcy.
fauxisOct 11, 2019 6:41 AM
Oct 11, 2019 7:45 AM

May 2009
Very catchy OP and the episode was pretty good.
Now onto waiting for the next episode~
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 11, 2019 7:51 AM

May 2016
Very interesting start for the first episode.
Oct 11, 2019 8:37 AM

Nov 2013
This is promising, didn't expect much, but so far I quite like it. I like the setting, I don't mind the comedy thrown in there. Let's see how it goes.
Oct 11, 2019 8:44 AM
Oct 2019
I really wanted to like this anime. The dystopian cyberpunk, the gritty PI, the interesting augmetics/gadgets, these are all things I love, even if there are plenty of other stories using them. What I can't stand though, is the most ridiculous character design I've seen in a long while, the bi-polar animation of characters expressions, and just a overly predictable plot.

The main characters design, is just silly. Where is his brain? Why is the gun there instead of literally anywhere else more practical? Why a revolver instead of something more slimline? This is just the first episode, but if with some sort of answers to these, personally I dislike the concept.

I know other animes have done it successfully, like Full Metal Alchemist and a dozen others, but the switch from real/serious animation to such goofy minimalist animation is just too much for such a grimdark story. I know its meant to be comic relief, but in this case, to me it just seems cheezy and lazy.

I haven't read the manga, and this is only the first episode, but really?! This setting and theme and they decide to go with the Mega Corporation is overstepping and doing shady stuff. It's looking like an original plot isn't going to be something in this anime's future. That being said, this one is my smallest issue with the anime.

TL;DR:
This anime, while the concept/setting is interesting, the character design is confusing at best, the animation is jarringly childish sometimes, and the plot from what I can tell is not in the least bit original. If it were only one or even two of these issues I would call this tolerable, but as it stands I'll probably only watch an episode or two more before I call it a lost cause.
Oct 11, 2019 9:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty good first impression for the show!

Inui is a badass but he's clearly a little shy when it comes to females and both of those moments highlighting that were hilarious! Certainly didn't expect such goofiness, but a welcome treat nonetheless.

A little confused over the whole cyborg terms and the sort though, in all honesty. Might take a while to acclimatise, I suppose. Anyway, the dark setting is cool with pretty good soundtrack too it seems so I'll definitely keep up!

Not too fond of the Op but the ED had a good song plus some interesting visuals, hopefully they'll grow on my over time.

Fact that there's going to be 12 more episodes is a real treat too!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 11, 2019 9:44 AM
Apr 2018
Corvus-Deo said:
I really wanted to like this anime. The dystopian cyberpunk, the gritty PI, the interesting augmetics/gadgets, these are all things I love, even if there are plenty of other stories using them. What I can't stand though, is the most ridiculous character design I've seen in a long while, the bi-polar animation of characters expressions, and just a overly predictable plot.

The main characters design, is just silly. Where is his brain? Why is the gun there instead of literally anywhere else more practical? Why a revolver instead of something more slimline? This is just the first episode, but if with some sort of answers to these, personally I dislike the concept.

I know other animes have done it successfully, like Full Metal Alchemist and a dozen others, but the switch from real/serious animation to such goofy minimalist animation is just too much for such a grimdark story. I know its meant to be comic relief, but in this case, to me it just seems cheezy and lazy.

I haven't read the manga, and this is only the first episode, but really?! This setting and theme and they decide to go with the Mega Corporation is overstepping and doing shady stuff. It's looking like an original plot isn't going to be something in this anime's future. That being said, this one is my smallest issue with the anime.

TL;DR:
This anime, while the concept/setting is interesting, the character design is confusing at best, the animation is jarringly childish sometimes, and the plot from what I can tell is not in the least bit original. If it were only one or even two of these issues I would call this tolerable, but as it stands I'll probably only watch an episode or two more before I call it a lost cause.

Yeah get lost , bones whatever guy.
This is just first episode yet you want all that ? Have you ever watched a psychological show or movie or anime ?
No wonder you love bones anime a lot , actually I hate the fact their productions is so straightforward .
I honestly only loved mob psycho (9/10) .

I even went and tried to watch bungou stray dogs made by these guys and wasted my time.

So yeah , madhouse is better than bones for me. Wit studio , a-1 picture, toei are better than bones for me.
Oct 11, 2019 10:38 AM

Dec 2013
This is fucking amazing.
Love Inori Minase voicing that nun.
And these tities everywhere!

Oct 11, 2019 11:26 AM

Jan 2015
Most shows this season have pleasantly surprised me. This is another one. I wasn't sure how much I was gonna like the Extended concept but it seems pretty interesting.
Oct 11, 2019 11:49 AM
Apr 2014
Probably my favorite anime from the new set. Also, I like Juuzo,his funny expressions reminds me of Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist

Oct 11, 2019 11:54 AM

Jul 2014
I feel like I should have liked this episode a lot more than I did, but it wasn't too bad apart from the tonally jarring moments of comedy (which seriously reminded me of Alphonse in FMAB).

Also, the gun head is so distracting. Even more than I expected it to be, as a matter of fact.
Oct 11, 2019 1:14 PM

Feb 2017
Story seems okay and I like the sci-fi setting. Art kinda has that old Madhouse feel. I will keep following it. Also, I am hop e for some nice tracks from Kenji Kawai.
Oct 11, 2019 1:34 PM
Oct 2019
Scomoth said:

This is just first episode yet you want all that ? Have you ever watched a psychological show or movie or anime ?
No wonder you love bones anime a lot , actually I hate the fact their productions is so straightforward .

I even went and tried to watch bungou stray dogs made by these guys and wasted my time.

So yeah , madhouse is better than bones for me. Wit studio , a-1 picture, toei are better than bones for me.

Not sure what you mean by "Bones whatever guy" , never mentioned any studios, mainly because most studios have both good and bad animes and most of my issues with this one look to be based on the manga/original creator not the animators so thats a moot point to me.

And yes, I do expect a certain level of quality in a new story, originality shouldn't be that much to ask for.

I love psychological/dark shows, but thats my very point, why make the cutesie faces/reactions when the show is dark and psychological most of the time, it breaks the immersion and continuity for me.

P.S. Toei is literal trash. Make One Piece great again!
Oct 11, 2019 5:56 PM
Aug 2017
That train punch at the end sure was poorly done. Felt like no impact at all.
Oct 11, 2019 5:56 PM

Aug 2017
Great start! OP & ED are great. I love the MC's voice (he voiced Yami of Black Clover & Aizawa-sensei of BNH) Interesting story I like the way his coat moves around him.
I had fun watching, can't wait for the next episode!

Oct 11, 2019 6:50 PM
May 2016
Meh, ignoring the weird characters the writing was just so lame. The whole mute kid not explaining things then saying "and you're the only one who believed me" when he hadn't heard anything to believe, plus the fact its a world where people have guns for heads but a kid being experimented on and having a device implanted so he can control cyborg bodies was unbelievable. Plus the nun getting a free point blank shot and just wounds him 9_9
Oct 11, 2019 7:22 PM
Apr 2018
MenchiK1 said:
Meh, ignoring the weird characters the writing was just so lame. The whole mute kid not explaining things then saying "and you're the only one who believed me" when he hadn't heard anything to believe, plus the fact its a world where people have guns for heads but a kid being experimented on and having a device implanted so he can control cyborg bodies was unbelievable. Plus the nun getting a free point blank shot and just wounds him 9_9

Lmao this is only the first episode and you expected everything to be explained in one go?
Oct 11, 2019 7:24 PM
Apr 2018
Konana said:
It looks promising, I do not understand why people throw so much hate... may have a "bad" animation.. But that is not everything, there must also be a good story behind.

Ending sounds great!

Couldn't agree more. It's only the first episode, come on people.
Oct 11, 2019 7:39 PM

Sep 2016
Probably the best debut of the season so far.

I really like the character designs and the art (the animation is pretty non existent here, but well the story is pretty interesting and kept me interested)
Oct 11, 2019 7:52 PM
Mar 2017
I must admit that this episode was quite decent, the story by far looks very well build, but I think that after the first three episodes I will have a better vision. Although I must accept that I loved the art in this anime, the nostalgic air that both image and the soundtrack generate is pleasant and the slow rhythm of the events made me feel that the episode was very short, but I really enjoyed it.

Juuzo, our MC looks badass, really his appearance makes him stand out and generates in him a great respect on the part of the inhabitants, but apparently his head of revolver has a past that I would like to be explored. Juuzo has a personality that I like, he does not look like someone violent and tends to protect who he thinks he needs to protect as in the case of the boy who tried to save at first
This world where the people who "expand" their physical abilities through mechanical improvements I really liked, a society that seeks perfection through the mutilation and improvement of a limb or organ.

The nun from the beginning seemed suspicious to me, but I never thought it would be a mercenary, which left me satisfied, I also really liked her weapon that has a unique design and her shooting skills were great and I must admit that I loved her physical appearance , especially when she began to undress.

Anyway, now we just have to wait to know how Juuzo will save the boy, after derailing the train the boy was going on, I can only wait for an escape full of bullets
The Op has a nice and catchy rhythm and the visuals showed us a large number of characters with quite interesting appearances that I hope to meet soon.
Oct 11, 2019 9:40 PM

Mar 2019
Well............ you got my attention.

Nice OP and environment.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 11, 2019 10:21 PM

Mar 2017
looks good!!!!
Can't wait for more :>>>

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 12, 2019 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
a gun as a head, what else will we see in this season I wonder.
Oct 12, 2019 12:32 AM
Apr 2018
Scomoth said:
Corvus-Deo said:

TL;DR:

I am sorry , but your original comment reminded me of critics rating some marvel or star wars movies when fans didn't like it at all and other stuff(can't say it as I might provoke the wrong people)
In this case , it would be bones studio followers.

As for psychological stuff , something like comedy has to be inserted in for japanese audience and no guns life is the only ongoing sci film cyberpunk manga , it's like the author is carring the last torch. This is because, this anime genre is not popular at all in japan , author was just making it as interesting as he could for japanese audience yet no hype for it at all in japan.

Also , don't quit the anime early on . I hear very often that , the manga is very very action packed like opm but it's just first arc is slow paced. I think that's the reason why they made the entire background cgi but I love it this way , gives off cyberpunk feeling.
Oct 12, 2019 3:59 AM

Dec 2015
Good first episode. Who needs NGE or NGNL when you have NGL now? From the showas with cool city+characters it is better than Kekkai Sensen or similar stuff.

I liked that the background plot seems promising (evil company) and the setting with those extended is cool. Don't like the gun-head because I prefer more normally looking humans. Then again most other chars from the design (seen in OP) seemed to look great. Sexy female enemy and not a loli. Big boobs instead.

Opening and ending sound was great especially the OP.

Looking forward to more. Was better than I had expected. (I thought the gun design for the head would scare me away more. But personality/behaviour is more important - better than your usual annoying male main chars.)
Oct 12, 2019 5:19 AM

Jun 2013
They covered a bit of the second chapter too in this pilot episode. This series is a mix of hard-boiled, cyberpunk, action, etc. and the character designs are reminiscent of late 80s to early-mid 90s Anime, especially the design of the human characters. It might not be everyone's cup of tea since the premise isn't that appealing to most.

I always felt "meh" whenever Inui's gunhead would go SD form whenever he got mushy or shy around attractive sexy women, I feel like it's unnecessary and they wanted to add a softer side to the character.

However, the animation is amazing as expected of Studio Madhouse and the voice acting is pretty good as well. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
BibimbapskiOct 12, 2019 5:25 AM
臭い-
Oct 12, 2019 5:45 AM

Dec 2009
Strong first episode, very well paced between stablishing the setting and kicking off the story with very little exposition, cool character designs, great music and atmosphere... I dig it.
Oct 12, 2019 6:11 AM

May 2015
With MC like that it felt somewhat similar to watching a movie with Mickey Rourke. Kinda cool, but not particularly enjoyable.
Also, saw Krauser II there and couldn't unsee it, lol.

The animation looks good, the story is probably good too but I'm just not interested. I honestly tried to get invested but had to pause several times, because it was simply boring. The random blushing was kinda anticlimactic. When the girl revealed her boobs it was like a final sign to stop caring about the story altogether and just leave it at that.
Oct 12, 2019 9:10 AM
Mar 2018
I have to say that I haven't seen anything like this before. There has been a lot of anime about turning people into weapons but this is the first I have seen a gun head (With the exception of Baby 5 because she does not always have a gun for a head. That alone is enough to make me want to watch it but the first episode showed that the head isn't the only interesting thing. I am intrigued by Juuzo and Tetsuro and I can't wait to see where this goes.
Oct 12, 2019 9:40 AM
May 2016
yvanedisco said:
MenchiK1 said:

Lmao this is only the first episode and you expected everything to be explained in one go?

No, did you even read what I read, the things that happened in episode didn't make sense.
Oct 12, 2019 9:59 AM
Aug 2017
So this is basically a detective noir where the main character is a cyborg with a gun for a head. Yep sounds about right for an anime 😂 if they do the mystery side well I'm sure I'll enjoy this and I've heard good things about the manga so hoping this is good cause I love a good detective story and I love over the top anime stuff so hoping this stays as good as the first episode. Also for people complaining about the slower paced that's kinda how noir mystery as a genre is, full of internal monologues over smooth jazz while we get nice scenic shots of the city (Blade Runner is a great example of cyberpunk/neo-noir so if you didn't like the slow philosophical beats of that well then), it's kinda part of the territory if that isn't for you I doubt you'll enjoy this show going forward
Oct 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Jun 2015
really interesting plot so far, very well paced and it has a great atmosphere. couldn't take the gun head seriously at first but i'll definitely get used to that in no time.
Oct 12, 2019 4:25 PM
Oct 2013
I just wanted to say that GARcher smooth voice for Juuzou was the absolute perfect choice.
Oct 12, 2019 5:31 PM

Oct 2008
that was okayish! but damn! Juuzou Inui have beyond brute strenght for stopping that unstoppable train!
4/5.

Oct 12, 2019 5:38 PM

Jun 2013
the OP is awesome.
Oct 12, 2019 7:15 PM
Mar 2015
Reminds me a little of Humphrey Bogart detectives
Oct 12, 2019 9:20 PM

Oct 2016
-I am a big fan of the resolver designs.
-I like this OP a lot. It gives off those vibes of late 90s/early 2000s anime that were centered on guns.
>When Juuzo gets kissed and blushes.
I love this robot.
I mean, I don't have a lot to say, but all these vibes, this atmosphere, the music, the comedy. I loved everything about this first episode. I don't know why, I just love this. It's a high 7 for me. May very well be AOTS (besides Psycho-Pass 3 which I assume will be great).
I know there were a lot of clichés, but I can't wait for more.

asei said:
It has such a The Big O vibe. In settings, aesthetics even Resolver-Negotiator.

>It has such a The Big O vibe.
You nailed it, this is exactly what this was reminding me of!

tomarwan said:
Probably my favorite anime from the new set. Also, I like Juuzo,his funny expressions reminds me of Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist

Yeah, this is why I'm loving Juuzo too. He seems like a bro. I don't know what it is I love about designs like this (Juuzo, Alphonse, Goblin Slayer, etc.) but I love them.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Guns Life Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2019

35 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 12, 4:23 PM

Poll: » No Guns Life Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2019

35 by Kayarbee70 »»
Mar 23, 1:23 PM

Poll: » No Guns Life Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2019

44 by Kayarbee70 »»
Mar 21, 6:20 PM

» Can Chainsaw Man make this show resurface again?

raiderublaze - Jul 5, 2021

2 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Jan 16, 8:11 AM

» Why is this rated so low?

Sonnyman45 - Sep 7, 2021

5 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Jan 16, 8:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.