Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2019 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is boring...we got Melida Angel who seems to be kinda clumsy for the female protagonist.

On the other hand, Vampir (is that really his name lol..) has a cooler personality. However, his voice sounds robotic. Setting takes place at an academy and it looks like there's some rivalries going on. Pretty much just an introductory epsiode serving to introduce the main characters. The action was probably the only part that was alright. This just screams medicority to me but I'll give it a chance to see where it goes. Melida such a weak character though, sigh.
Stark700Oct 10, 2019 8:28 AM
Oct 10, 2019 8:38 AM

Apr 2016
Dude, the first episode and he already saved her twice .. but i like the "chandelier" world they introduced, it seems interesting.

Also, the qualification for those girls being the chosen is them being flat or something ?
Oct 10, 2019 8:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was... idk I feel like the idea behind it isn't bad but it could've been executed better so that it didn't come across as so... stale
Oct 10, 2019 8:43 AM

Dec 2017
Oof, this is looking to be the trash of the season. Characters are annoying, faux attempts at depth are annoying, the direction tries to be artsy at times but there's no purpose behind it, and it's overall just really boring. The main guy's constant inner narration especially is coma-inducing. Well, I guess every season needs a juvenile edgefest or two, but I'll take Akame ga Kill over this any day.
Oct 10, 2019 8:49 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Extremely enjoyable start.

Female lead is a strong character. It's the little things about her that make her stand out. She didn't take the hand of her sensei when being down but stood back up by herself.

She fell down the balcony only to be caught by him. Her reaction was interesting, i really liked that scene.

Setting is very unique, i'm wondering if that will have any impact on the story in some form.

Animation is very decent, first fight scene looked great.

The studio adapting this, i haven't heard of them doing any notable things but i feel like they're doing the best job they can here with what they can do.

I have a feeling that this might go under the radar for some people but the presentation is the key here to not make this look generic (that's what i assume people are thinking about this beforehand).
Oct 10, 2019 9:01 AM

Dec 2018
I feel like the pacing was definitely rushed in comparison to the manga adaptation and light novel which was a let down. Also because of the episode's time frame limit some little details were left out, the animation is very pretty imo and much much better than I expected so there's that at least.

The reason why it was a bit of a mess when it came to the pace might be because the first episode has 7 ANIMATION DIRECTORS (why even). I hope they explain later on why Kufa decided to save Melida more in depth and that they slow down the pacing because they literally fit everything in the first episode and I really want to like the series because I actually did enjoy the manga a lot.
Oct 10, 2019 9:02 AM

Dec 2018
AnimeBW said:
Oof, this is looking to be the trash of the season. Characters are annoying, faux attempts at depth are annoying, the direction tries to be artsy at times but there's no purpose behind it, and it's overall just really boring. The main guy's constant inner narration especially is coma-inducing. Well, I guess every season needs a juvenile edgefest or two, but I'll take Akame ga Kill over this any day.

Definitely not the worst anime of the season, lol. It's only been like 1 episode, geez.
Oct 10, 2019 9:04 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Seems to be a generic and forgetable anime.
The animation is good and Melida is cute but otherwise I don't see any other quality for the moment.
That swordsman is unbearable, I'm pretty sure there will be an episode about his dark past etc
Oct 10, 2019 9:09 AM
Sep 2015
I'm wondering if this will worth torturing through if I only interest in Williams Gin and Father.
Oct 10, 2019 9:09 AM
Nov 2017
sunimi__ said:
I feel like the pacing was definitely rushed in comparison to the manga adaptation and light novel which was a let down. Also because of the episode's time frame limit some little details were left out, the animation is very pretty imo and much much better than I expected so there's that at least.

The reason why it was a bit of a mess when it came to the pace might be because the first episode has 7 ANIMATION DIRECTORS (why even). I hope they explain later on why Kufa decided to save Melida more in depth and that they slow down the pacing because they literally fit everything in the first episode and I really want to like the series because I actually did enjoy the manga a lot.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but we are in a new age nobody cares how many animation directors you have on an episode anymore . KnY has way more than assassins pride did on its last episode and it did fine . Stop spreading misleading information
Oct 10, 2019 9:13 AM
Jan 2019
How old is Kufa supposed to be? He seems like an adult but Melida is a child... kinda gross vibes
Oct 10, 2019 9:14 AM

Jul 2015
Poor execution. No proper explanation of the events.... not that I expected anything else from this studio...

I will give 2 more eps.

Oct 10, 2019 9:16 AM

Dec 2018
MonkeyDJasper said:
sunimi__ said:

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but we are in a new age nobody cares how many animation directors you have on an episode anymore . KnY has way more than assassins pride did on its last episode and it did fine . Stop spreading misleading information

Key word here: Might. You can't compare the studio that made KNY, Ufotable, with EMT Squared which is a much more smaller one. Their resources and budget are more limited in comparison which is gonna make things harder for them later on in the series
sunimi__Oct 10, 2019 11:52 AM
Oct 10, 2019 9:18 AM
Jul 2019
Apparently the source LNs have sold 500,000 copies so far. They are also bestsellers in Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.

Presently there are 10 LNs, with 1 sidestory volume. Vol 11 arrives this Oct 19th. https://fantasiabunko.jp/product/201606assassins/

Also, 12 episodes for the anime. https://assassinspride-anime.com/discography/detail.php?id=1017152

3 Blurays with 4 eps each.
Oct 10, 2019 9:22 AM
May 2016
What are these girls 10? That kiss was kinda creepy, and the whole thing was really confusing. Also if the girl is so stupid she falls off a balcony she's pretty hopeless.
Oct 10, 2019 9:24 AM

Oct 2017
First of all the ending song was beautiful.

Pretty decent start and the animation is good. The characters seems likable specially Melida. She is such a strong willed girl and Kufa is a gd guy too.
Oct 10, 2019 9:33 AM

Oct 2017
Meh..It feels like im watching this for the thousandth time and also it's kinda weird. We will see after a few episodes
Oct 10, 2019 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
Swagernator said:
Also, the qualification for those girls being the chosen is them being flat or something ?

Dude, that was middle school. Those girls haven't even hit puberty yet.

MenchiK1 said:
What are these girls 10?

13 actually.
Oct 10, 2019 9:38 AM

Aug 2013
An okay-ish start so far.

I really liked the fight scene at the beginning. Kufa is an overpowered character.

Oct 10, 2019 9:42 AM

Feb 2016
The animation was actually good not what I expected.
An good start. At least better than the aired anime this season
Oct 10, 2019 10:02 AM

May 2013
They messed quite a bit with the order of the first chapters there, didn't really like it. Animations are ok but they really have to fix the pacing asap, so much happened with so less explanations
Oct 10, 2019 10:16 AM

May 2017
This show is super, super good. Great animation, the beginnings of what seems to be the build-up of a great story, and this episode had some nice emotional moments.

I love the serious tone, as well.

I don't understand how people say this seems generic... I've never seen anything like this before.

The direction was the best part - loved the framing and angles. Story was told beautifully. Almost as good direction as Babylon!

My second favorite show of the season so far, right behind Babylon.
Oct 10, 2019 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
Kirito is that you!?!? WATCHOUT Death gun is behind you!
Oct 10, 2019 10:18 AM
Nov 2007
As many people stated the show was pathetic. I mean why was she on top of the balcony to begin with, also they are too young and childish rivalries already and main character a "white knight" lol. This was extremely generic with fighting somewhat interesting. Maybe just one more episode.

P.S. Season so far has been crap.
Oct 10, 2019 10:22 AM

Apr 2018
the main hero is an assassin and lolicon. i kind of enjoy it
Oct 10, 2019 10:32 AM
Mar 2019
The Episode itself wasn't anything special but I really liked Kufa...... Looks like a badarse
FanBoii
Oct 10, 2019 10:38 AM

Dec 2017
So Kirito from SAO with pretty stupid name is an assasin, but works as a bodyguard/teacher, cause instead of doing his job and killing the girl he go struck by MUH FEELS? I dont even know how this makes sense and if I should expect anything at all.
Also those strange shots with only legs visible while constantly changing point of view - why?
Oct 10, 2019 10:45 AM

Mar 2017
Hmmm, i'm a bit torn because i like the plot and animation but the pacing felt a bit strange (like slow in some places and dizzingly fast in others) and i also found the interactions between the characters very stiff.

I definitely gonna keep watching because i like where this seems to be going but i don't think the anime is going to be anything special!
Oct 10, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2018
I love lolis.

I dream of lolis everyday.

I love this show xD
Oct 10, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2017
ok that was pretty badass, Yuuki Ono with that ASMR shit right there. Also agree with @Smudy female lead had those strong qualities while not being overly reliant on those like most other characters, i.e., she actually has a cute side to her.

Not usually a fan of slower paced shows but I kinda like this one so far. Nice to see the show take the perspective of Kufa and look at his thoughts as he observes everything around him

Kinda wished they explained some stuff a bit better though, but it's only the 1st ep so can't complain

guarantee you if this was made by ufotable the rating would have already gone up by 1

Genuinely looking forward to this one
Oct 10, 2019 10:56 AM
Jan 2019
This protagonist gives me Tatsuya & Yuuji vibes.
Simanto1Oct 10, 2019 11:21 PM
Oct 10, 2019 11:01 AM

Mar 2018
Woo this looks so good! The animations are beautiful in some way
And the setting looks pretty interesting too, I mean.. Living under a lamp? And out there are some monsters.
Would like for the guild thing to be explained more tho

The girl he met at the beginning is gonna take a rather important role too I guess? Wouldn't have made sense to introduce her otherwise

Next week is gonna be tense I guess.. Her suddenly awakening to Mana is gonna cause a stir for sure. I could see a quarrel with Elsie too

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 10, 2019 11:23 AM

Aug 2013
actually enjoyable
I like the world setting and finally Kirito looks badass
Oct 10, 2019 11:24 AM

Dec 2012
Idk first episode looked really boring, I'll keep watching for a couple more and see what up
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 10, 2019 11:43 AM

Oct 2010
I hate 'explanation' cliffhangers.
Was it borrowing(so you need to refill from time to time) or link(shared manapool)? Or active faking (looking at you, Shingetsu)?

I know, I know, 'that is a spoiler and would be explained later'. Gaaaaaaoooooo!

P.S. That Kirito-ppoi MC, lol.
Oct 10, 2019 11:52 AM

Jan 2017
So we are getting 3 Kiritos in this season, this time a lolicon in a very generic and boring story (so far).

ALSO BOY! All those lolis are flatter than my desk!!! There are 8 or what?
Oct 10, 2019 12:03 PM

Sep 2017
The production seems nice enough. I hope they had a better character design that doesn't look exactly like Kirito. But I'm not that interested in the "untalented people vs. hierarchical society" setting, which is a pretty tired theme in anime and from what is presented in the first episode it looks like it could go into a very melodramatic direction which can easily feel forced and self-important. (Eg. that scene the main girl explaining to the monsters why her hairs are so important is very mawkish. I would have dropped this show out right if I didn't think the production in general looks nice.)

Will have to see whether the characterisation deepens in the next episode.
Oct 10, 2019 12:13 PM

Jan 2009
As someone who knows the story (and REALLY likes it, this is my black horse sleeper pick for the season) I'm not quite sure I'm happy with the first episode's conversion. Frankly, Melida is mischaracterized as merely a clumsy, unsociable damsel in distress type which fights hard and unsuccessfully. In the original source, Melida is not really all that clumsy (yes, she falls off the balcony when a gust of wind pushes her off while she panicked in order not to flash her panties), but she has a friendly refined behavior which is almost completely lacking in the first anime episode. I hope that the director will stop messing this up, because this charm is _important_ for the show.
Oct 10, 2019 12:21 PM

Mar 2019
Animation and colors are pretty good but the main is definitly unbearable
The story looks really forgettable and the others characters aren't that interesting
Oct 10, 2019 12:26 PM

Jun 2009
As manga reader I am really conflicted about this episode, as it is rushed as hell and omits a lot of information and exposition, while it also look really nice in animation aspect.
Well, I will watch it either way, but might lower the score.
Oct 10, 2019 12:27 PM

Apr 2018
A lot of characters introduced on this first episode and I haven't idea that who are each of. I wait for the next episode for the serie to that it explain more about Vampir and Melida.

The animation is a standard quaility, but is very decent and it was what was expected since teaser.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Oct 10, 2019 12:34 PM

Jan 2016
Lots of mixed reviews so far.

I for one actually enjoyed it a lot. The female lead is strong and her short backstory was enough for me to sympathize with her. The assassin is a very cliche character but it'll be interesting to see what direction he'll go.

Animation and Art was also decent so here's hoping for a good ride

Short_Circut said:

guarantee you if this was made by ufotable the rating would have already gone up by 1

How can you say something so brave yet so true? But yea that's MAL in a nutshell
Oct 10, 2019 12:36 PM

Oct 2011
Reminds me of Kuroshitsuji for some reason.
Also why did he have to give her the liquid mouth-to-mouth instead of letting her drink it?

Looks okayish enough to watch but doesn't seem to be anything special. Hope it's not the Afureta of this season

Oct 10, 2019 12:37 PM
Mar 2018
Official Title: Assassin(')s Pride
My title of the 1st episode: The inexistent pride of Kirito the useless assassin

Summary of the first episode with opinion:

It began with our protagonist, Kirito, my favorite character ever (obviously this is irony), blocking with his sword a lot of shots from some random guys in black hoods, i don't like this kind of stupid power, just personal view.

After that, the MC (Kirito) goes in train to a city, and just when he gets out of the train, he and a random girl say exactly the same phrase (a typical phrase of this world or just and idiotic random moment? I bet on the second). They speak a little, remarking that girl is gonna be important in future episodes (am I a visionary or it was just too obvious?).

The MC arrives at his destination, a noble house, where his name is revealed, Kufa Vampir... strange name. There he meets his aprentice/student, an idiotic girl that decides to get on the balcony railing for no explicable reason, and after see that Kufa is there and that he can look behind her skirt, she decides to be ashamed and kill herself jumping off the balcony to end with her own life she falls from the balcony, but luckily Kufa saves her before she reachs the floor and he carries her like an indefense princess.

MC and girl goes to her school of aristocrats and there she is bullied because she has no prana, something that all good aristocrats have, and all this decorated with a lot of teenage drama.

Finally, the real plot is explained, the grandfather of the girl thinks that she doesn't have prana because his father is a different one of that supposed to be his father, so Kufa's job is to check if this is true and kill the girl in that case (because... she is not his real granddaughter?).

He doesn't see any signs of she having prana at all, meaning this that she is not the biological daughter of her supposed aristocrat father, so he takes the decision of kill her.

(Some very edgy thoughts of the MC)

When he decides to search for her to kill her, he see how 3 monstruous scarecrows are attacking her, this supposed to be some kind of hardcore training to wake up her prana. After let her be beated by the scarecrows and the girl screaming at them to don't cut her hair because that is the only thing she has to remember her mother (It really sounds like a joke xD), Kufa (alias Kirito) decides to save her, this is because she didn't scream for help because she is trying very hard to wake up her prana and be recognized as a real member of the aristocrat family. Of course, while all this was happening, the MC continued with his edgy thoughts and when he was fighting the scarecrows he started to say his edgy things to the scarecrows.

Then, he kneels down and takes her hand, the scene becomes a whirlwind of rose petals with them inside for some unknown reason, and after some kind of romantic speech from Kufa, he takes some strange liquid in his mouth from a bottle and kisses the girl giving her that liquid. She fades out giving the idea that, finally, Kufa decides to kill her with that liquid/kiss... but after the ending it's showed the real thing, that liquid seems to give her some fake prana and Kafu will try to convince everyone that she has prana, so he has not to kill her and this way rescue her (and probably become into her lover too).

This episode was cliche after cliche, nothing interesting. The supposed twist of Kufa going to assassinate the girl was too obvious that at the end he was not going to kill her. Her character is just a cliche for now, he is the copy of Kirito and there is nothing special to say about the other characters.

Animation, drawing and sound was ok. Camera direction was a bit strange, I didn't like it. And worldbuilding was interesting, but probably it won't have a proper development and importance.

Final score of the episode: 2/10 (enjoyment and story logic is the most important to me, and those 2 were 0/10).

I will probably see the next 2 episodes, but I am a 99% sure that i will drop it after that.
Oct 10, 2019 12:38 PM
Jul 2017
My opinion: They have destroyed the manga, many things cut or changed.
Oct 10, 2019 1:04 PM

Apr 2016
The characters design seems really inspired by SAO’s. So, the design is very good, especially him. However the episode wasn't that good but in the other hand it wasn't boring. I think I will continue to watch it.
Oct 10, 2019 1:17 PM
Feb 2009
seems alright will keep watching for now I guess...
Oct 10, 2019 1:34 PM
Jun 2019
Well I had no expectations beyond this being generic trash so im pleasantly surprised by this first ep. I feel as though it will be the passing that kills this show cause its already moving quite fast. there seemed to be alot of effort put into this first episode but its feels sort of wasted on just mediocre directing and shot composition.
Oct 10, 2019 2:20 PM

Jan 2016
This first episode was mediocre for me.

Very meh anime, hopefully it gets better.

what the fuck even happened
Oct 10, 2019 2:25 PM

Nov 2016
Not bad. I'm kinda getting Satsuriko no Tenshi vibes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's with the Hate?

Aytr0 - Jun 3, 2021

30 by ayogami_M »»
Jan 14, 4:46 AM

» what makes the show THIS bad?

APolygons2 - Apr 20, 2023

23 by Akanekino »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

104 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:40 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2019

66 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:59 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2019

94 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 29, 2023 8:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.