Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 21, 2019 12:10 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm loving this show so far. The art style, ost, stylized fights, old school Japanese storytelling. It takes no prisoners. Much needed in 2019 when this is soo rare. I think I definitely benefit from not having read the source material. I don't have to nitpick the adaptation of the source material.

Elucid said:
You look at r/anime's consensus on this show, lots of praise.
Then you look at this site's consensus... Pretty mixed.

MAL has always been much harder on Seinen stuff or anything too violent or dark. Much more about it's supershounen shows and the cutesy stuff. Reddit has a more varied and dare I say older crowd commenting that might be more open to something like this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 23, 2019 4:20 AM
Dec 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:
LacrimaMosa666 said:
That's it more than just an average samurai anime.
It's slow cinema, brutal, yeah, disgusting, yeah, but slow and can be bit too hard for most of the viewers. Piece of art is it. Definitely.
I'm also suprised, because I didn't know about new adaptation of Blade of the Immortal until today and it's very rare.
Beautiful, we'll see what's happenineg next. Hopefully will be even better.

Careful there, average user. Excessive brutality stopped being art long time ago - the age when disgusting people was enough to be called a masterpiece if long over; pseudo-elitists lost on every battlefield except in paintings-art, maybe. From what you have written, the only "artistic" value of this series is... excessive violence itself? Or, rather, it's careful, meticulous depiction? I would advise against being this loud when it comes to violence, as series that can be praised for their depiction of violence only... are nothing decent. So you are welcome to find better arguments the next time I decide to visit this... outskirt of modern Japanese animation. And I will surely be back for the final episode, to see what the others, like you, have to say about all of this.

People like this succkkkkkkk and in real life they keep there so called elitists comments to themselves, wasnt art suppose to be subjective? to each there own but for you to go out of your way to knock him down a peg thats just toxic i cant stand people like you in fact NO ONE CAN!
Oct 23, 2019 4:45 AM
Apr 2016
ozzynothing said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Careful there, average user. Excessive brutality stopped being art long time ago - the age when disgusting people was enough to be called a masterpiece if long over; pseudo-elitists lost on every battlefield except in paintings-art, maybe. From what you have written, the only "artistic" value of this series is... excessive violence itself? Or, rather, it's careful, meticulous depiction? I would advise against being this loud when it comes to violence, as series that can be praised for their depiction of violence only... are nothing decent. So you are welcome to find better arguments the next time I decide to visit this... outskirt of modern Japanese animation. And I will surely be back for the final episode, to see what the others, like you, have to say about all of this.

People like this succkkkkkkk and in real life they keep there so called elitists comments to themselves, wasnt art suppose to be subjective? to each there own but for you to go out of your way to knock him down a peg thats just toxic i cant stand people like you in fact NO ONE CAN!

LOUDER BROTHER LET THE HEAVENS HEAR AND DECIDE OUR FATE.
Re:formed
Oct 25, 2019 2:23 AM
Mar 2012
Nice stylistic art & framing, especially that forest fight. Enemy also had some ok backstory & used his home turf advantage to beat Manji.
More comedy this time. Editing/pacing pretty weird or blunt at times just switches to something else.
Lol that dry cold rice. Enemy of the week could get stale, they'd need to pull in the larger plots like what's with the Shogun.
Hmm they forgot budget for both OP & ED.
Dec 4, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2017
Wonder if the art guy comes back?? They seemed to leave without him at the end of the episode, and that kind of threw me, as the entire ep was about him and his apparent obsession with blood splatters lol. Hope he comes back, but honestly, having two samurai body guards is a bit much
Mar 27, 2020 1:33 AM

Jun 2016
I find every shot in this anime to be super beautiful. There is a sense of direction and style with the sound, music, art, and everything which goes past being effective and enters some rare territory. However, the only issue I have with this is the pacing. With the first episode, I was shocked that the guy who killed Rin’s father was already slain. I took a note that it was him who killed Asano because I assumed she would get revenge in 20 episodes. Then, they killed him in the same episode. It was shocking, but not necessarily something to be critical of. This episode however, felt like too much. Fast pacing which can be hard to keep track of is totally fine if there isn’t so much exposition and dialogue, for me anyways. But here, it was easy to lose track of the content of certain scenes and how they link together. That and character development, having Rin confront Taito Magatsu wanting the sword so badly and then stifling her tears and telling Manji not to worry about it felt too closely linked. And having the big brother-little sister thing enveloped felt too soon, like maybe not, Manji has avenged her father already and saved her life and risked his life to help her because she has the face of his little sister, but it just didn’t feel real to me.

Due to the pacing I’m starting to think I shouldn’t try to keep track of everything too closely and just watch it. If I care for the plot and characters, I’ll move to the manga, the anime’s biggest strength certainly feels like the style. That said, this episode had pretty great moments. It showed Manji to be a little immature, impatient and short tempered with the painter Sori, if I recall his name correctly. I loved him telling Sori to paint to his heart's content and then cutting the fence down. Then even commenting on it when it came to Tsuchimo, not wanting to have to be back so soon. And conceptually Magatsu was awesome. Starting the fight with that specific song and the line “the bald guy with the--”, “the bald guy with the spear” got a hearty laugh out of me. Plus we started the episode with that striking art of him looking at his sister trampled by the Daimyo’s horse, driving a connection with him and Manji. Further deepening this with respect during the fight despite having a hatred for samurai’s tendency for violence and wanting revenge for his allies deaths. It was all stuff I liked but it wasn’t around long enough to leave an impression on me, I wish we got more time with all that.

I will add though, the opening is like my favorite song ever.
Apr 16, 2020 1:07 AM

Jul 2015
Never mess with one's art, it can cost you a head

Loved the fight between Manji and Magatsu, just the surrounding and all

I have to say Manji is pretty terrible at fighting, maybe he trusts too much on his immortality which causes him to be a bit reckless

Jan 26, 2021 10:00 PM

Jun 2020
I'm like, really impressed. I'm captivated.
Mar 15, 2021 9:36 PM

Mar 2012
magatsu is one of my favorite characters and i'm happy to see him looking so good.
the soundtrack this episode was even better too. so, we'll keep going.
Jun 14, 2021 10:06 PM
Oct 2019
"a child once left behind on mount takao shortly after birth was henceforth raised by a friendly monkey: that's what you look like"

this episode was kinda funny. i enjoyed it. much better episode overall than the first episode

when the bad guy doesn't really come across as "bad"...

is the muddy sword, bloody-art ninja going to join them?
Aug 9, 2022 5:58 AM

Oct 2017
much better than the previous episode, but still it feels so rushed
Apr 19, 11:28 PM
Jul 2023
Damn, this is going REALLY fast.
- The met the painter guy in episode 2??? Wtf
- Painter dude AND ninja guy in a single episode? Damn.
- I still like this version MUCH more than the original adaptation, but holy crap it needs to slow down
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 5 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Oct 30, 2019

23 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 4 Discussion

Rider9530 - Oct 23, 2019

38 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JustAnotherShiro - Oct 16, 2019

80 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Joseahfer - Oct 9, 2019

81 by Apreggi »»
Apr 19, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Nov 27, 2019

27 by BrianaBird »»
Apr 8, 8:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.