Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2019 10:37 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good start, I wasn't expecting much of this show but it is pretty good in a certain way.
It was funny too, i'm looking forward for the next episodes.
Oct 6, 2019 10:38 AM

Mar 2019
Agree with what Ashhk said
Also happy to see maou sama's seiyuu dubbing the main
Oct 6, 2019 11:01 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Best first episode of the season so far.

I laughed throughout the episode.

Wacky animation + artstyle, they had A TON of it here, the VA's are doing god's work to make this even more funny.

After credit scene is here with a familiar trope xD
Oct 6, 2019 11:02 AM
Sep 2015
The Lizard is so hot!
Oct 6, 2019 11:37 AM

Jul 2012
Whoa. An actual good anime from this season! It was actually funny, amazing voice acting especially Shimono (who was in KnY too!) as the Toucan and I enjoy this quirky animation (I assume CGI was one of the styles).

This is like Shirokuma Cafe + Aggretsuko + Honda-san with more adult/dirty jokes. lol
Oct 6, 2019 12:21 PM
Sep 2018
something very different yet very funny
Oct 6, 2019 12:32 PM

Jan 2016
I honestly expected this to be one of those 4min animes.
Surprised as heck at the runtime.

Lmfao the anime for this was really interesting and I'm surprised I liked this anime as much as I do.

And also LMFAAOOO that mixer was hilarious.
Oct 6, 2019 1:02 PM

Mar 2016
Best anime I've seen this season so far. Mostly because everything else has been decent at best whereas this was actually funny and had something meaningful to say.
Oct 6, 2019 1:05 PM

Aug 2018
They really just made them do FortNite dances in the opening. Nice.
Oct 6, 2019 1:22 PM

Feb 2018
Worst first episode of the year.
Oct 6, 2019 1:37 PM
Jan 2018
boredrandomguy said:

God this was the best first episode of this season.

I was expecting bad animation, but they delivered on everything. It's inconsistent in the best way possible.
Oct 6, 2019 1:40 PM

Feb 2018
TodAboT said:
boredrandomguy said:

I was expecting bad animation, but they delivered on everything. It's inconsistent in the best way possible.

I envy you since you seem to be able to ironically enjoy even the worst of the worst.
Oct 6, 2019 1:42 PM
Mar 2019
A really good surprise, the animation is really creative and the jokes are funny, was also really surprise that it isn't a short

They flexin their dancing skills tho
Oct 6, 2019 1:47 PM
Jan 2018
boredrandomguy said:
TodAboT said:

I envy you since you seem to be able to ironically enjoy even the worst of the worst.

Wait, I quoted you?
I didn't even notice that.
Sorry.
Oct 6, 2019 2:01 PM

Feb 2018
TodAboT said:
boredrandomguy said:

Wait, I quoted you?
I didn't even notice that.
Sorry.

np andcharactercount

boredrandomguyOct 6, 2019 2:05 PM
Oct 6, 2019 2:24 PM

Mar 2010
Movement reminds me of that fish anime a season bacK or so.
Oct 6, 2019 2:34 PM

Nov 2016
It's probably because I haven't seen anything similar yet, but this was fucking hilarious. Mixer with a pig and late to school zebra leg version killed me. Also pretty funny when everyone is afraid of Big Cat and the vulgarness is nice too.

Ordinary life and basic gags with animals are enough for a great start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2019 3:06 PM

Mar 2019
phantomfandom said:
The Lizard is so hot!

200% agreed

Best husbando
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Oct 6, 2019 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
I was looking forward to this coming out before. A bit disappointed with this pilot episode. It wasn't quite as beautiful as The Lion King and wasn't quite as clever and entertaining as Bojack Horseman. I don't know why I expected it to be more than it is.
Oct 6, 2019 3:55 PM

May 2016
So this is fucking great, and definitely the right sorta over-the-top. There's so much personality in everything. It's even got me laughing at a goofy as fuck scene transition...

FlowersInTheRain said:
I was looking forward to this coming out before. A bit disappointed with this pilot episode. It wasn't quite as beautiful as The Lion King and wasn't quite as clever and entertaining as Bojack Horseman. I don't know why I expected it to be more than it is.

Sorry but I can't help feeling like that's entirely your fault... What in the living FUCK kinda expectations are "as beautiful as The Lion King" and "as clever as Bojack Horseman"??? How would that be fair expectations for anything at all, anywhere, in any universe?? :P From all the trailers and promo material this was very obviously going to be an extremely goofy, low-budget, over-the-top comedy; ala Aggretsuko. Most people suspected it was going to be a short series.
ZaugrOct 6, 2019 4:04 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2019 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Zaugr said:
So this is fucking great, and definitely the right sorta over-the-top. There's so much personality in everything. It's even got me laughing at a goofy as fuck scene transition...

FlowersInTheRain said:

Sorry but I can't help feeling like that's entirely your fault... What in the living FUCK kinda expectations are "as beautiful as The Lion King" and "as clever as Bojack Horseman"??? How would that be fair expectations for anything at all, anywhere, in any universe?? :P From all the trailers and promo material this was very obviously going to be an extremely goofy, low-budget, over-the-top comedy; ala Aggretsuko. Most people suspected it was going to be a short series.

I didn't even know there were trailers. I just read the synopsis on seasonal anime and hope for the best when the shows start to air.

I expect anime to be good quality. Not just visually and not just voice work. I expect a good story and I am disappointed when I don't get one. Yeah maybe that is my fault. And that is also why I haven't watched that much anime over the years. Very few hit the mark for me compared to shows, movies, cartoons etc from the west.
Oct 6, 2019 5:27 PM

Oct 2008
really felt sleepy at that last part...oh well it was still amusing...all i hear is Zenitsu screaming!
3/5.

Oct 6, 2019 5:36 PM

Mar 2019
First half boring...

Second half entertaining...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 6, 2019 5:39 PM

Jan 2017
This was pretty amazing, I seriously loved it. I was hoping it would be along the lines of Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San, because I really enjoyed that one too, but it actually exceeded my expectations.
Quirky animation, super funny and the voice acting is very good as well. I'm liking the three main characters a whole lot too.
I was almost sure this would be a 12-minute short form anime, but I'm kinda glad it isn't. Really good first episode, definitely looking forward to see more.
Oct 6, 2019 5:41 PM
Jun 2009
In a way, it is better than Zootopia. Too much CGI feel to it, though latest Berserk is far worse... Jokes are funny, but man, what about interspecies dating, civilized pigs having pet piglets and where do carnivores take their meat to eat? There are intelligent and non-intelligent animals? I will at some point check ONA too, maybe it is also fine to watch.
Oct 6, 2019 8:42 PM
Apr 2018
How many characters this season are voiced by Kenjirou Tsuda?

He can make a Lizard that HOT.
Oct 6, 2019 9:33 PM

Jan 2018
I have mixed opinions about it. But, I'll give it a chance for now.

Can't wait for next week's episode.
Oct 6, 2019 9:39 PM

Mar 2017
I had no thoughts in going into this show but not gonna lie, I love it. It probably is going to be underrated as heck though.
Oct 6, 2019 10:50 PM

May 2010
Didn't expect this to be 24 minutes long.
Not really funny but definitely a good snack time anime.
Oct 7, 2019 12:31 AM

May 2016
FlowersInTheRain said:

I didn't even know there were trailers. I just read the synopsis on seasonal anime and hope for the best when the shows start to air.

I expect anime to be good quality. Not just visually and not just voice work. I expect a good story and I am disappointed when I don't get one. Yeah maybe that is my fault. And that is also why I haven't watched that much anime over the years. Very few hit the mark for me compared to shows, movies, cartoons etc from the west.

That's all fair enough, but now I'm just a bit confused as to why you're coming to this series after a good story... A lot of shows aren't about their story. Some don't have any focus on it at all. An episodic/procedural comedy about the daily misadventures of salarymen? Definitely not. And I mean, this series' synopsis does imply as much too.

I think you'd definitely have better luck avoiding these disappointments if you started looking more selectively--maybe even exclusively--for actual story-focused series (as there's definitely a lot of very good ones out there), since that's what you're after, no?
ZaugrOct 7, 2019 12:51 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2019 12:55 AM

Aug 2016
Basically: Beastars x tonegawa
:v
Oct 7, 2019 5:54 AM

May 2015
Freaking Zenitsu still finds a way to annoyingly scream at you, lol.

Seriously though, voice acting is probably the best part here consdering it was annoying. Barely managed to finish the episode, very boring, not funny at all.
Oct 7, 2019 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
Zaugr said:

I think you'd definitely have better luck avoiding these disappointments if you started looking more selectively--maybe even exclusively--for actual story-focused series (as there's definitely a lot of very good ones out there), since that's what you're after, no?

How do I know if an anime with a good story is coming out? What sort of indicators should I be looking for?
Oct 7, 2019 8:27 AM

Jan 2015
Pretty bad animation but the comedy was nice. Okay episode overall. Might continue for a while and see where it goes.
Oct 7, 2019 9:46 AM

Jun 2013
The animation is really creative i think they used real people with mocap suits
Oct 7, 2019 10:17 AM

May 2016
FlowersInTheRain said:

How do I know if an anime with a good story is coming out? What sort of indicators should I be looking for?

Source material is a big one, what people say about it and it's rating. Staff credits are another - look into the announced scriptwriters and the series composer and their past works. And maybe the studio in charge of production too. And I guess other than those - the core concept and its originality.

If a number of these things line up well, you'd have a much more sure a bet. For example neither the studio nor the series composer for this series should offer much confidence for a good story. So even if you ignored the synopsis, you probably would have at least waited a bit on starting it to hear what people say.

Though, to clarify, my point wasn't to "selectively choose shows with good stories" - that's obviously difficult if not impossible to get right every time. It was to selectively choose story-focused series... Which should be pretty easy to tell, and which Africa no Salaryman is very clearly not. And you'll find many more "good" shows/shows much more to your taste if you do this.
ZaugrOct 7, 2019 10:22 AM
Oct 7, 2019 5:14 PM

Jun 2019
Japanizing Lion King. 😁
Oct 7, 2019 7:00 PM
Mar 2019
i kinda want to watch this on shrooms .. lolz
Oct 7, 2019 9:16 PM
Feb 2012
no reason for this anime to be standard length
could have easily been half the length
Oct 7, 2019 9:34 PM

Mar 2018
Ah finally. The show I looke forward to most this season xd

Shimono doing a great job voice acting again xD so hilarious

I love how they have these japan cliches but satirize it with the Africa-theme
It's pretty well done

The jokes are pretty exeggerated tho. I don't dislike it but could be annoying I guess

Toucan is such a legend xd Was a bit shook when he told Lion that he did his wife

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 7, 2019 10:47 PM
Jul 2019
Emmmmm, It didn't make me laugh,the situations just felt to me very awkward, to me a very bad first episode,I was expecting something better, the art style was good and I liked the op anyway.
Oct 8, 2019 4:19 AM
Jan 2019
are they representing Japan, not Africa? if they do I bit concern about this anime I find my self offended by how they make the plot, leave alone the animation (yes I know the animation was pretty bad and one of the worst I have seen)
Oct 8, 2019 7:49 AM

May 2019
The first episode was a total nosedive for me. Started promising and then just didn't deliver. It's not funny to me which, y'know, is the whole point of it.
Oct 8, 2019 9:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm surprised they're doing full length episodes. This would work much better as 8, 10 minute per episode shows.

I'll be watching it. I want to reward shows that dare to be unconventional.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 8, 2019 9:46 AM

Nov 2009
Ugh, I don't whether to continue this or to drop. I spent most of the episode wanting to deck that bird bad and yell at the lion to man the heck up.
This is probably a show that would actually benefit from half-length episodes instead of full-length...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 8, 2019 12:05 PM
Mar 2017
yvanedisco said:
How many characters this season are voiced by Kenjirou Tsuda?

He can make a Lizard that HOT.

4. i've been counting and waiting for this season :)
Oct 8, 2019 1:34 PM

Apr 2016
It was pretty funny, it’s a particular series but I think I'll watch some episodes and after I choose if I'll continue it or not.
Oct 8, 2019 3:49 PM

Dec 2018
This was pretty weird...but funny. I liked it, and am willing to stand the garbage C.G. for the story.
Oct 8, 2019 4:10 PM

Jun 2015
i dont tend to judge based on animation but the low frame rate cgi threw me off a bit, mostly because i didnt even know it was gonna be a cgi series

this episode was not what i expected. the comedy was pretty "meh" tbh. i'll wait and see how it goes.

I AM THE ONE CALLED POWER!
ANIME LIST  🩸 MANGA LIST  🩸 CARDS  🩸 CHALLENGES 
How foolish and conceited these humans be... 

Oct 8, 2019 6:35 PM

Oct 2017
The reveal with the Pig was hilarious, but I don't know if the rest of the episode really worked for me. Toucan kind of annoyed me, though his bit about getting angry in traffic was relatable.

Animation is what it is. It's different, but not in a way I find compelling. Some shows use this kind of CG really well like Hi Score Girl, but it looked awkward here somehow.

I was going to drop it, but I'll give it another episode because the positive comments here make me wonder if I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for this.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Africa no Salaryman (TV) Episode 4 Discussion

Ashhk - Oct 27, 2019

16 by OfficialGothBF »»
Dec 9, 2023 8:28 PM

Poll: » Africa no Salaryman (TV) Episode 3 Discussion

Ashhk - Oct 20, 2019

14 by OfficialGothBF »»
Dec 9, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Africa no Salaryman (TV) Episode 12 Discussion

Ashhk - Dec 22, 2019

20 by AcidVladislas »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:17 PM

Poll: » Africa no Salaryman (TV) Episode 2 Discussion

Ringare - Oct 13, 2019

23 by oh-danny-boy »»
Apr 18, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Africa no Salaryman (TV) Episode 7 Discussion

Ashhk - Nov 17, 2019

13 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.