Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 8, 2019 4:45 AM

Mar 2017
Yeah. I think these 3 episodes are great. I'm hooked
Oct 8, 2019 7:05 AM
Apr 2016
alshu said:
Initially I was hyped.
After the reveal that those murders are not caused by the "big evil political/corporative conspiration" but by a shape shifting seductive manipulative Johan Liebert wannabe bitch I am underwhelmed.
I can't take as seriously this show as I wanted to.

It's like Psycho Pass - great idea for a dystopian sci-fi, horrible and superficiality story + implementation. (If not obvious I hated Psycho Pass and dropped it early.)

By the way this show also reminds me of Mouryou no Hako.

It is not much of science fiction though. We are dealing with flawed society, profound insanity and philosophy of morality. These three episodes could hardly happen in reality, as there are many barriers, set throughout the society to avoid an outcome we can see in Episode 3 - insane people grabbing power and making it their. All the characters are real, the things they say and do have already been done throughout human history. There is nothing superficial about this story, it is merely an extreme of what we, as a species, have to deal with daily. You are ill-informed, otherwise you failed to understand what is happening before your eyes. She is not "shapeshifting". There is no indication she is supernatural as of yet. Learn history, read about crime. Some people change themselves, their personality, looks, manners - to achieve their goals. And it is serious.
Shisha no Teikoku, Harmonie and Gyakusatsu Kikan all deal with these existential, modern questions. Why do I mention them? Babylon is their direct successor.
Re:formed
Oct 8, 2019 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Finally some good fucking food anime! Gordan Ramsy memes aside this show is already exceeding my expectations. In all fairness I didn't have any going in but I honestly didn't think it was going to be so good. The woman feels really creepy and I love it.
Oct 8, 2019 8:13 AM

Mar 2019
3 Episodes in and already Ai Magase is villian of the year material
Oct 8, 2019 8:47 AM

Sep 2011
So everyone involved in the election was in cahoots from the start to elect Itsuki, and he was the one who brought this Magase Ai into the picture. A woman who can change her appearance, easily wrap men around her fingers, and even make them want to die. I'm disappointed that it is possible that Fumio did kill himself after having contact with her. I guess it's really safe to assume that she isn't human and/or has some crazy powers. But the value in death, and the freedom to choose it huh... I wonder where this will go from here.
Oct 8, 2019 9:35 AM
Oct 2019
I feel Moonlight Syndrome/The Silver Case vibes
Oct 8, 2019 11:00 AM

Jul 2019
I'm hoping this won't only be a serial case solving show but it should be bigger than that. So far so good got me hooked up. I expect more from the MC though lets see
Oct 8, 2019 11:08 AM

May 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:

It is not much of science fiction though.

I am not saying it is...just comparing how disappointed I am from promising setting and actual content.

Daniel_Naumov said:
She is not "shapeshifting".

No, she is not.
She is "master of disguise" in the vain of Lupin III or Magic Kaitou...which also doesn't make sense.

Daniel_Naumov said:
And it is serious.

For a regular seinen its a bit more serious but I was expecting more...not sure why.

Daniel_Naumov said:
Shisha no Teikoku, Harmonie and Gyakusatsu Kikan all deal with these existential, modern questions. Why do I mention them? Babylon is their direct successor.

- Never heard of Teikoku.
- Skipped Harmonie.
- Gyakusatsu Kikan was superficial in a very similar way and actually I like Babylon better.
- "modern questions" pfff...are you kidding me?
Oct 8, 2019 1:26 PM

Jul 2019
Sooo good. I think I found my favourite show of this season.

So the woman was bad news... really bad news. I guess she maxed out on Charisma and has a PhD in Philosophy to manipulate people like this. I can see some parallels with her and Makishima Shogo who was also a villain based largely on being super charismatic. Her motives still lie completly in the dark and by bringing upon this new order, it defiently is not anarchism.

This has a lot of potential and I hope they can capitalise on it!
Oct 8, 2019 2:37 PM
Jul 2013
I kinda dont get why ppl immediately say she has superpowers when it might be just simply hypnosis and her putting people under strong suggestions...
Oct 8, 2019 3:05 PM
Mar 2018
That was soo surreal it gave me the chills. Seizaki's expression as he watched those people fall was perfect-like he couldn't believe what was happening right before his eyes and yet perfectly understanding exactly what was happening.
The episode drives home the saying that people shouldn't do things just because they are able to do them. The Japanese politicians who were involved in this project should have been more vigilant.
Finally, Magase Ai....., I don't completely disagree with her thought process but I will reserve my judgement until I understand what she does to drive people to that point.
Oct 8, 2019 4:14 PM

Sep 2017
AMAZING episode!!! that was a plot twist!!! i do enjoy the original plot and how they have executed it so far. i hope people don't forget about it since we're gonna have to wait a bit till the 4th episode airs.
Oct 8, 2019 8:35 PM

Jan 2013
unless it really is the case BUT idk why people think the lady is "shape-shifting" when one of the most common thing in this type of genre is certain characters being very good at disguising themselves to mess with people
Oct 8, 2019 8:57 PM

Mar 2014
This was really good. I'm just wondering where the series will go now, considering all the mysteries introduced have been partially solved.
Oct 8, 2019 9:05 PM
dozing general

Oct 2017
This one is kind of a wild card for me.
Loved the direction in episodes 2 and 3, there were some nicely placed soundtracks, and Magase's character provided lots of tension in the interrogation scene. She is definitely captivating to watch. But, I could see the suicide drug and the details of Magase's appearance changes getting pretty silly depending on where they go with it.

Interested in watching more though for sure.
Oct 8, 2019 10:01 PM

Apr 2009
Ah, I like this so far. I accidentally watched episode 2 before episode 1.lol Was wondering why I didn't understand stuff. Didn't realize 3 episodes were released at the same time neither . The mystery is interesting right now tho and Ai is something else.
DreddOct 8, 2019 10:07 PM
Oct 8, 2019 11:25 PM

Feb 2019
Definitely not feeling this. The philosophical banter is underwhelming and the very strange and oddly paced plot is not a selling point here. It feels like the writers were trying too hard to make the writing seem smart while leaving us with huge gaps in our knowledge about the world. They really should have built the Shiniki Initiative into the show slowly since it is such a drastic juxtaposition to the story in tone and direction.

I mean given that this is a mystery thriller it could potentially get better, but I don't see that happening.
Oct 9, 2019 1:16 AM

Oct 2016
I'm not sure what it is, but this anime has just really pulled me in. I will say, the "happy to die" thing is gonna make it a lot harder to see the villains of the show gain any realistic support. I want this show to be able to make things viewable from both angles like a lot of good shows of this genre do, but that 3rd episode ending really put a bad taste in my mouth. It was really silly.
There was just a lot to like in this 3-episode-premier. I really like the approach they took with the creative animation, I liked the moral-questioning conversation between the protagonist and the big-tittied girl (even though it was pretty surface level stuff), I adore the cinematography, and I like the way this initial plot unfolded across the first 3 episodes. I think we might have a good one on our hands. Let's hope they don't screw things up!
Still that episode 3 ending left a bad taste in my mouth. It was pretty ridiculous.

KiriSlays said:
Are we going to have to wait 3 weeks for episode 4 like we did with Vinland Saga?

God, I hope not.

Koito91 said:
Just in case regarding the 3 weeks wait, yes/no: MAL Message 58476151.

So first things first; It was nice to see Prime releasing the first 3 episodes. Now we had a nice beginning of the Arc that was presented and completely had the introduction. At least those with the 3-episode rule should now be aware if they like the anime and want to continue or not...

It looks interesting. Curious about the woman behind it though...
Also saw the Revoroot... Well, I expected as such but they still have the same animation style. Sometimes completely fluid like jelly (which is great) and sometimes just stiff (which is less great, but still better than 3DCG overal...)

If you like Psycho-Pass or Zankyou no Terror, this is def. something for you.

>MAL Message 58476151
Well shoot.

Livius2001 said:
Black pill the anime :V

There's good direction to be found here. The mc can be too naive for a prosecutor. I wonder what kind of explanation the show will give regarding the use of the pill because I can see this getting pretty ridiculous.

>Black pill the anime :V
Hahaha :(
>The mc can be too naive for a prosecutor. I wonder what kind of explanation the show will give regarding the use of the pill because I can see this getting pretty ridiculous.
I'm worried about that too. Also, people aren't going to accept the whole "death" thing so fast just because of a charming politician. I'm just worried it will devolve into "the villains can not be sympathized with, yet can still con a whole non-isolated city". They also may overpower the pill thing. You are very right, this could end up looking silly. I hope they can prove us wrong though, because, for me, this was a really good first impression.

kidlat020 said:
watched the 3 episodes. the dilemma she brought up in episode 2 was great though. the one about hating war and liking war coexisting. I sat down and analyzed that dilemma myself and my conclusion was, and I can't believe it myself, is to indoctrinate the one liking war into pretty much "peace good, war bad". just like the certain political leaning chanting "orange man bad" basically.

is the show going to be about detective investigation or moral gray areas like this? if former then I'll drop this but if latter I'll stick in.

I'm very worried about that too. I was initially excited, thinking this show may focus on moral gray-areas, but after that whole "mass suicide, death is good" thing, I feel like it's gonna be hard to get me to believe the antagonists of this show will gain any significant power. They seemed to set up the villains in a way where you can't sympathize with them, but who knows? Maybe they will make good points, like overpopulation getting to insane levels. I'm excited to see the protagonist develop as well.
I say you should stick in. This show seems like it will be full of surprises. You never know bro.

Nick123asdf said:
It looks very promising. I'm glad they released 3 episodes so now we know what to expect from the show

Yeah, we may have to wait a few weeks for episode 4, but that flow across the first 3 episodes was too good. It was worth it.

Oct 9, 2019 2:38 AM

Jun 2016
So the first 3 episodes of the series is the prologue for the real mystery which is "Death" itself.
I already noticed that the three of them are the same woman but what shocked me is Fumio's death at episode 1 and Nomaru being a colleague of Morinaga and the higher-ups of the Prosecutor's Office.

Guess the truth about the suicides were already revealed, it has something to do with that woman and the suicide pill that Dr. Inaba created.

Will Seizaki reach the far end of the truth and find the the true meaning of justice?

Kaika Itsuki is still a mystery to me, It's like there's more to him that what they know.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Oct 9, 2019 4:32 AM

Jul 2014
I need to sit still and wait patiently for ep 4
The mayor gave me creeps

This show is slightly similar to route end manga bcz of suicide or the one character that seems like magase ai the but ofc their different
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Oct 9, 2019 6:06 AM

Sep 2017
Seems like Babylon might be my hidden gem of the season, this episode ended on a really impressive note

Aside from the CGI, these 3 first episodes were really great

Does someone know if this is gonna be a 1 or 2-cour anime ?

Oct 9, 2019 6:38 AM
Mar 2018
Loved two first episodes but I hated the big reveal. Guess I'm the minority.

TL;DR: Looks like it's going to be a series about forcing an already existent and widely accessible dangerous cure as something new and experimental on a patient that is not ill at all.
Oct 9, 2019 6:49 AM

Jan 2011
Imagin crossover where Magase Ai vs Magata Shiki
this would be the best anime ever
Oct 9, 2019 7:34 AM

Jul 2015
The story is getting more interesting with this third episode. Cannot wait to see more but we have to wait 3 weeks for the next episode I guess.
Oct 9, 2019 7:54 AM

Mar 2018
Interesting. My AOTS so far. Want to know about Itsuki if he was brainwashed by Magase or just wrong in the head. Good anime. 7/10 for now. Keep it up!
Oct 9, 2019 10:03 AM
Mar 2015
A drug that makes people commit suicide
Oct 9, 2019 10:43 AM

Sep 2019
The dumbass told her personal information, rip his family i guess, still pretty good ep it got me hooked, looking forward into this. Hope they do some 4d chess that just fucks with the brain of the one watching that is how a thriller is supposed to work, so very epic.
Oct 9, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2017
Okay I am hooked! I like this theory about a world in which death is something to 'strive' for instead of to be feared. Although it is pretty dark and dystopian of course. I guess this mysterious 'F' turns out to be Ai Magase, which is not a big plottwist since she acted weird at the police office. I feel sorry for Fumio, but I hope he died 'happily' at least... Oh, and Shinobu reminded me of L; eating all this cake :D Can't wait for the next episode!
Oct 9, 2019 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
I am surprised the script isn't written by same writer behind Kado:TRA because many of the character banters and info dumps felt similar (but the overall budget is 3 times lesser tho). The pacing is massive improvement and the first two episodes have really perfect cliffhangers. This episode I think some of the parts could have executed better way especially the main villain's voice acting leaves lot to be desire. It wasn't as ridiculous as people claiming and the story felt like it just begun that has potential to be great or giant trainwreck but all in all I really think this show will be worth investing like many other thriller shows.
Oct 9, 2019 3:40 PM
Apr 2016
NootNoot_pls said:
Loved two first episodes but I hated the big reveal. Guess I'm the minority.

TL;DR: Looks like it's going to be a series about forcing an already existent and widely accessible dangerous cure as something new and experimental on a patient that is not ill at all.

You are clearly thinking in terms too simple, way simpler than what this series HINTS at, at this point. You have merely seen a prologue. And this is what you assume? Weak. Keep watching.

As for the mentioned right, in most civilized countries (e.g. countries that do care about their citizens/population) it is highly discouraged to embrace suicide, either voluntary or assisted by someone. As such, in most countries euthanasia or any other sort of assisted "relief from pain of living" is not only discouraged, but also forbidden by law. Like, it's a crime y'all. Which is a good thing but we are not insane rednecks to be telling ourselves obvious things, right??? However, assisted suicide is slowly gaining popularity in rapidly aging societies, which are also, incidentally, the most developed ones. It is not so white and black, however, as there are old people (for example, the most obvious example) who live on life-support or "live" only in a biological sense: in a vegetative state, maybe unable to even think now, maybe, what is worse, stuck in contemplating their own state without being able to do anything about it. It is a complex question for professionals. I highly doubt this series is going into that direction, because there is a way more simpler conflict to present.

As for what it means in this series. Ask me? Nothing. A farce. Itsuki Kaika is profoundly insane, and what he is doing would only bring the city/society closer to the madness. Never look at the justification, the foundation is always the same. There is no "assisted" suicide by anyone involved as of yet. Everyone is made into committing suicide by that thot serving Itsuki. Magase "Ai". Incidentally, I believe she is going to screw everyone up over again and serve as the final boss (if we do not consider our own selves our final bosses, so to say).
saxe2 said:
The dumbass told her personal information, rip his family i guess, still pretty good ep it got me hooked, looking forward into this. Hope they do some 4d chess that just fucks with the brain of the one watching that is how a thriller is supposed to work, so very epic.

I don't know if you will be able to withstand the "4d chess" either way, as you have implied Seizaki did give his personal information away willingly (guess why not) and that it was a bad thing. Well, think again - the guy for whom the woman works for, IS (was for a day) A MAYOR. Guess how many seconds it would take him to obtain this information either way.
Daniel_NaumovOct 9, 2019 3:51 PM
Re:formed
Oct 9, 2019 5:34 PM

Apr 2016
It started off really good but now I'm not sure what direction it's taking. So the mayor was involved in some suicide pill scheme, and there's a fucked up woman that shape shifts into multiple women.. I hope it at least stays somewhat realistic.

I'll keep watching though.
Oct 9, 2019 6:43 PM
Jul 2015
Water-sama said:
What if she Poisoned them with the Drug called Flakka or something similar to it? One Sniff of Flakka and you're basically a Zombie under someone else's control. Someone could tell you what to do while you're on it and you'd do it. You'd look natural for the most part. I hope this show doesn't go towards superpowers. it wouldn't be as interesting.

That's certainly what it looks like to me, or some other unapproved drug.
The reason I think that is because in episode two they, very specifically, showed the AC turning on during the interrogation scene. That particular bit was a major attention point for me. Especially when the interrogation a few days (or whatever the timeframe) later, she was gone and Seizaki found Okuda unwell and you can hear the AC.

Not sure if this'll hold up at all, but we'll see. It's just something I kept having in mind.
Oct 9, 2019 6:50 PM
Dec 2017
Whats-up said:
It started off really good but now I'm not sure what direction it's taking. So the mayor was involved in some suicide pill scheme, and there's a fucked up woman that shape shifts into multiple women.. I hope it at least stays somewhat realistic.

I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of having multiple personalities, not shapeshifting.
Oct 9, 2019 7:36 PM

Jan 2019
Yeah kinda looks like Multiple Personalities. Not shapeshifting. Wigs and make-up, that sorta thing.
Oct 9, 2019 8:01 PM

Feb 2014
Mayor really told everyone to kys

Interested to see where this goes, this is a lot more engaging than I thought it would be and I hope the show keeps it up!
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 9, 2019 8:09 PM
Apr 2019
Just watch the city start having suicide booths like in futurama
Oct 9, 2019 8:35 PM

Sep 2017
Some pretty interesting twists. Glad they released 3 episodes cause I wasn't loving it after just the first. This is looking to be pretty sweet anyway. Still did they just elect a sort of Light Yagami as mayor with realizing it lol.
Oct 10, 2019 1:35 AM

Apr 2013
this is some good stuff right here.
Oct 10, 2019 9:46 AM

Aug 2014
Surprisingly good, but skeptical since Kado turned to shit quick. But the existence of that folded up report makes no sense to me. And F for Female is pretty dumb, but the woman herself is intriguing. Plus she mimes a good handjob.
Sieg Zeon!
Oct 10, 2019 10:13 AM

Apr 2011
曲世 愛
Magase Ai

kanji meaning:
Maga (曲) from magaru - to bend, twist, warp.
Se (世) - generation, world, society.
Ai (愛) - love

kinda explains 2nd episode and her fixation with names.

P.s. and that F, supposedly for Female (more like Femme Fatale). I think it might turn out to be something else entirely.
Oct 10, 2019 2:14 PM

Apr 2009
Well, this was quite a... jump in quality from the first two episodes.

Oct 10, 2019 5:00 PM
Apr 2015
Whats-up said:

What ?????
Babylon is good anime
Never not bad as you said
Oct 10, 2019 10:36 PM

Mar 2010
That was a weird speech. Things arent looking well for MC

Whatever made them suicide is crazy.
Oct 10, 2019 11:15 PM
May 2016
Male Main Protagonist(The Hero) VS Female Main Antagonist(The Villain)
It's very rare thing in Mystery-Thriller Anime,Movie,TV Series,etc
Oct 11, 2019 1:23 AM
Mar 2017
So, it looks like this anime has references to Babylon itself and Whore of Babylon

Ep 1 was good enough, ep 2 was brilliant and ep 3 great, the OST that they played at the end of ep 3 was prob the best OST they played till now

For now i would rate it a 9/10
Oct 11, 2019 2:55 AM

Apr 2018
Damn everything is happening so fast and a suicide party is happening lmao
Oct 11, 2019 6:47 AM

Jun 2013
Holy shit that was amazing those twists and revelations
Oct 11, 2019 8:19 AM

Jan 2015
I'm loving this so far. The mysterious and eerie feel complements the plot and the direction has been on point.

I'm wondering who the real villain is. Is it Magase Ai or is it Kaika Itsuki? Who's controlling who? I can't wait for three fucking weeks!
Oct 11, 2019 10:30 AM

Jun 2016
Wow, i thought the first episode was okay but the next ones were a step up.
I can't believe i'm seeing an anime which includes a side that says people should chose to die or not. I found myself agreeing during the speech at the end lol. That would never happen in the real world because people that don't even have any connection think they have the right to control the lifes of others who don't want to live and i find it very self-righteous and selfish in a way.
But of course this is anime so there's also Ai being manipulatie in her own strange way.. i want to see more of her, there's certainly more to this than what was said. That mass suicide wasn't normal.
Oct 11, 2019 7:28 PM
Jan 2019
What an amazing episode. What began as a simple detective story became something much more complex. The last minutes of the episode left me in complete shock. That woman and the mayor are dangerous. The city will get out of control. The drug, the suicide drug, ... I had my suspicions, but I still can't believe it. I am looking forward to the next episode. This anime could become one of the top 10 of the season.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Babylon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2020

118 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 7, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2019

319 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 6, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2020

442 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2020

98 by VanniePon »»
Feb 16, 6:47 AM

» People don't recommend watching babylon! Is it too disturbing to watch?

FarshidBG - Mar 2, 2022

17 by Hikool101 »»
Jan 11, 1:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.