Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 8, 2019 5:33 PM

May 2011
Shonen-Heartful said:
Lots of men in suits doing investigations, but why? I expected a bit more out of this anime but that's just me.

There's a mystery at the end, with Fumio's baffling fate, yet! Isn't the prospect of a mystery, coming in scarce and seemingly unrelated hints thrilling you?

Well, I decided to drop this if they killed off a character by the end of the first episode.

Dumbest reason ever to drop, mostly for the point I stated above. The core appeal of the mystery, is the reason why these absolutely outlandish suicides happen and what are behind them. The subordinate wasn't a crucially important character, so his early sacrifice to the plot doesn't particularly matter.
sorceryOct 8, 2019 5:37 PM
Oct 8, 2019 7:14 PM

Feb 2019
I have in the past enjoyed the Law and Orders or CSIs, but these bozos are no Jack McCoys. Mainly because the writers can't find a way to get across the importance of the various revelations in the episode, so our hard-boiled experienced LEOs react to goddamned everything like they're in Phoenix Wright. Nothing is too trivial to not be gasped at, stared at with a tortured look, and then the next course of action shouted out, even when it's exactly what they were expecting. The kind of thing Lennie Briscoe would respond to with a weary sarcastic quip because he's seen it all, instead has to be dramatized up to hell and back. I did glance quickly through episode 2 just to see if it improves, and it contains a "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" scene, so… this is writing that certainly thinks it's serious, but it is most definitely not.

It's also just plain slow, even for a procedural. Multiple scenes don't seem to have a real point. He meets with a dude in a bar who begins the conversation with "Well, here I am in a bar meeting my best friend who I've known since college." They then review the current situation, one Googles something, repeat that they're best friends, and leave. I guess we really needed someone to use Google. Or the meeting with his boss where he's told such helpful nuggets like "arresting a politician would be a scandal" and "You are law enforcement, and your job is to arrest people for commiting crimes." There's a base level of knowledge I think we can assume, people, and the more time we spend repeating shared knowledge, the less time we're spending on developing the story, which is already in pretty dire shape. And yes, the animation is indeed horrible
Oct 8, 2019 7:21 PM
Dec 2017
RayReynolds said:
I have in the past enjoyed the Law and Orders or CSIs, but these bozos are no Jack McCoys. Mainly because the writers can't find a way to get across the importance of the various revelations in the episode, so our hard-boiled experienced LEOs react to goddamned everything like they're in Phoenix Wright. Nothing is too trivial to not be gasped at, stared at with a tortured look, and then the next course of action shouted out, even when it's exactly what they were expecting. The kind of thing Lennie Briscoe would respond to with a weary sarcastic quip because he's seen it all, instead has to be dramatized up to hell and back. I did glance quickly through episode 2 just to see if it improves, and it contains a "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" scene, so… this is writing that certainly thinks it's serious, but it is most definitely not.

It's also just plain slow, even for a procedural. Multiple scenes don't seem to have a real point. He meets with a dude in a bar who begins the conversation with "Well, here I am in a bar meeting my best friend who I've known since college." They then review the current situation, one Googles something, repeat that they're best friends, and leave. I guess we really needed someone to use Google. Or the meeting with his boss where he's told such helpful nuggets like "arresting a politician would be a scandal" and "You are law enforcement, and your job is to arrest people for commiting crimes." There's a base level of knowledge I think we can assume, people, and the more time we spend repeating shared knowledge, the less time we're spending on developing the story, which is already in pretty dire shape. And yes, the animation is indeed horrible

Yeah, episode 1 just didn't rub me off the way i wanted it too for the most part. Episodes 2 and 3 are very large improvments in terms of writing and animation. It feels a lot less plain, bland and kind of boring as episode 1 had rubbed me off. I'm sure you will find atleast some enjoyment within the next two episodes. (especially episode 3)
Oct 9, 2019 2:52 AM

Apr 2018
Well this is interesting. Haven't seen a thriller anime in a while and this looks like it has potential
Oct 10, 2019 6:45 AM
Apr 2019
Is revoroot studio related with WIT or IG?
Oct 10, 2019 7:09 AM

Aug 2018
I like it. Very intriguing, very mysterious. It has a certain subtlety about it that I like.
And Fumio... I didn't expect that, especially so early on. Did he actually do that of his own volition, or did he get too close to uncovering a truth somebody didn't want him to find out? Luckily we've been given the first 3 eps already, so that might be something we'll find out soon.
Oct 10, 2019 8:36 AM

Apr 2011
When you think someone is a main character but he dies in the first episode...... x_x
Oct 10, 2019 8:47 AM
May 2018
NakolHira said:
Is revoroot studio related with WIT or IG?

No all these anime with motorcycle intro means that a producer of that anime is Twin engine and they just put company logo in that intro to show what studio is working on that adaptation
Oct 10, 2019 1:40 PM

Jan 2016
sad death is sad wtf

i liked him too shit man
Oct 10, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2018
That was really good, the writing seemed reminiscent of Psycho-Pass which is a plus, although it seemed like a lot of events happened in just the first episode. I think it could've benefited from a longer run-time with extended scenes to create atmosphere and establish the characters more, but I think it handled the actual story itself very well. The directing is also on point which was kind of expected. Good start, but I'm looking more forward to the MC and supporting characters' development from here on. That end was 5/5 though, I mean the rest of the episode also held my attention (for the most part at least), but I got the chills at that last part.

(also high key if Amazon keeps this up I think I'll officially like them over Netflix when it comes to anime)
Oct 11, 2019 12:25 PM

Feb 2017
Intense and interesting start. I am definitely hooked.
Oct 11, 2019 6:06 PM
Jan 2019
This anime is one of the most anticipated this season, since I like the police genre anime and mystery. This first episode did not disappoint me, the ending left me in shock. Damn it, poor Fumio. This case is very rare, it is wrapped in a great mystery. That Thriller environment it have is great.
"F" for Fumio. R.I.P.
Oct 12, 2019 5:07 AM

Mar 2019
That ending was unexpected I hyped for the next episodes
Oct 12, 2019 1:05 PM

Feb 2007
Took me way too long to finally get around to watching this, but this was definitely by far the most promising first episode this season. Hopefully it can keep this up.
Oct 13, 2019 8:46 AM

Apr 2015
I never knew that Miles Edgeworth's badge was real.
Oct 13, 2019 8:46 AM

Nov 2012
I was riveted. I love a good mystery. I was waiting for what happened to Fumio as soon as they separated.
Oct 14, 2019 5:29 AM

Oct 2013
wew lads, a lot happened this episode, and that ending came out of nowhere. I was expecting a buddy mystery and one half of the buddy mystery is already dead! wtf?? How long has it been since an anime felt daring enough to kill a potential leading character early on? Feels like this is symptomatic of an industry long gone...

All these characters, all these weeb names I can't immediately commit to memory, all these events I've had a hard time keeping sorted in my head, but it looks like this will be a really good time.

OP is unorthodox and ED is really good.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 14, 2019 10:02 AM

Jul 2016
Damn Fumio slow down why did ya have to do this to me at the 1st ep man I was just starting to like you.

Since we have to wait 3 weeks for the next episode,why not just watch an episode per week instead of all of them at once?
Oct 14, 2019 2:35 PM
Jul 2017
AnotherGuy said:

1) They are prossecutors, not policemen. They shouldn't be out there on stake outs.

What you said make sense from a Western perspective. However, Japan doesn't work like that. Prosecutors in Japan have immense power in their hands. They can hold suspects in custody for days on their own without arresting them (i.e. without involving police). It is also prosecutors' duty to get a confession from the suspect in Japan, not the police. Better keep that in mind when you watch any legal TV shows or anime from Japan.
Oct 15, 2019 5:34 PM
Mar 2012
wut havent learned all their names yet & he died already.
Pretty nice mystery pieces & suspense feel. But part with gps tracker install seemed cut out editing or missed a shot so it's confusing.
The New City info is also edited at completely random point, literally no lead-in/tie-in to stuff before or after. Director aint new (but did make psychopass2) so weird he messed up this much.
Lol 'best friend', at least pay him man.
There's so much talk of 'ruler' & ally of justice, Eevill in a serious crime drama by prosecutors? That might work on shounen hero wannabes, but it's even cringier here.
Oct 15, 2019 9:30 PM

Jul 2009
Aw man. I was really digging Fumio's character. ;~; Too bad...

This is hella interesting though, can't wait to see how the story develops!
Oct 16, 2019 1:13 PM

Aug 2019
I like the mystery and that bodies are falling left and right from the start. The music/art/animation is solid. The premise is not original, but it's smotheing rarely seen in anime so that makes it interesting.

What I don't like tough is the pacing of this first episode. Too many things happen that are not explained in detail. We get a pharmaceutical audit, a construction company director and dirty politician. The MC jumps from place to place and it makes little sense as a whole. All we know is that there is some conspiracy and people are being killed. This was so disappointing, I hope future episodes will make it up or else I'm gonna drop.
Oct 16, 2019 3:11 PM
Jan 2018
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's out on Amazon Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YQKYPXS

Yeah, this has thriller and suspense all over it. Seizaki is the main guy looking into a case when he discovers a strange document. I heard the show is made of several arcs so it this seems to be the One Drop of Poison one.

A lot of potential in this considering the thriller-suspenseful story for this.

Thank you so much for the link. I have been wanting to watch this show and hadn't realized it was on Amazon Prime.
Oct 19, 2019 9:03 AM

Mar 2016
Can anyone please explain what was the prostitution talk about and how come Fumio killed himself? I tried re-watching the episode but am still unclear what happened.
Oct 21, 2019 7:07 PM
Sep 2019
Koito91 said:
Yes, you have to wait till October 27/28. It was just an advanced streaming on Prime, this is not the first time they're doing this.
October 27/28 is when Episode 4 airs and then it follows up like every other anime.

Didn't hear (yet) that they will pull a Boogiepop here, so...

So when it actually fully starts airing on October 27/28, will it still be on Amazon Prime?
Oct 22, 2019 10:30 AM

Mar 2018
greyisbeast said:
Koito91 said:
Yes, you have to wait till October 27/28. It was just an advanced streaming on Prime, this is not the first time they're doing this.
October 27/28 is when Episode 4 airs and then it follows up like every other anime.

Didn't hear (yet) that they will pull a Boogiepop here, so...

So when it actually fully starts airing on October 27/28, will it still be on Amazon Prime?

Yep, Amazon Prime should be streaming it.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Oct 27, 2019 7:55 AM

Nov 2015
Good start. I'm excited to see where this goes from here.
Oct 28, 2019 12:06 PM
Oct 2019
Episode one was awesome
Oct 29, 2019 7:18 AM

Aug 2013
A good and interesting start! Was totally surprised by the ending, can't wait to see how the story will develop!
Oct 30, 2019 2:11 AM
Dec 2010
Really dislike the number of hard cuts to black they're doing. Especially because of how long they last. It's jarring and throws off the flow of the show. Hopefully future episodes tone it WAY down.
Nov 2, 2019 11:31 PM

Jun 2013
I found the first episode interesting, sometimes I'm into political dramas, movies, novels, etc. and there are times when I don't care for them at all. In this case, I knew someone was going to die but I wasn't expecting it to be Fumio. Honestly, I thought Seizaki was going to die since he started talking about his wife and kid. You never talk about family in movies or novels like that because it's almost always a death flag.

This show has potential and I hope it gets better.
臭い-
Nov 4, 2019 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
Never before has Dvorak given me such chills, not to mention the otherwise twisted finale of the episode.

Off to a great start.
Nov 6, 2019 5:37 PM

Aug 2015
Wow, they killed the sidekick already.
Nov 7, 2019 11:09 PM

Aug 2015
I think this is the detective thriller I've been waiting for. The pacing is quick but easy to follow. It sometimes shows just flashes of scenes with no narration and you have to follow along based on visual cues. Love the dynamic of the prosecutor with his "best friend" journalist lol. Love the way this show makes characters feel like they have a lot of history despite the lack of long introductions.

I was convinced the bubbly newbie was going to be the protagonist, since that's how things usually go, but he's killed off instantly. God damn. I thought he would be the lighthearted element that's always there to crack jokes.... I accepted that kind of character as an inevitable trope for these types of stories and I'm impressed at the turn. The way the show introduced him, as if he was a constant element that I would be able to connect with more, just to rip it away. I actually said "oh shit oh shit oh shit" out loud when the episode ended.

Beautiful background art. I'm a sucker for well drawn cityscapes. Love the sound design. The low bass note black screen scene transitions really add to the atmosphere - I actually really liked those hardcuts. I am completely into the mood of this episode. It started off kind of bland when I thought the newbie was going to be the main focus but from the moment they discovered that nasty bloodstained page, the episode was fantastic.
Nov 10, 2019 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
Holy shit. That ending.
Am I the only one who doesn't entirely understand what's going on, but is really interested anyway?
Nov 11, 2019 5:49 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, that ending was shocking. How and why? I don't understand why or the circumstances that led to it. Really intrigued.

I think the pace is a little fast, not so fast as in I can't figure out what's going on but I think I would've appreciated it more if they slowed down a bit to flesh things out a bit better.
Nov 12, 2019 12:26 AM
Jan 2019
This one looks full of potential. Great first episode.
Nov 23, 2019 8:07 PM

Nov 2015
Epstein Fumio didn't kill himself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2019 8:08 PM

Nov 2015
F8L-Fool said:
Really dislike the number of hard cuts to black they're doing. Especially because of how long they last. It's jarring and throws off the flow of the show. Hopefully future episodes tone it WAY down.
That's weird. It's actually helping set/establish the atmosphere for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2019 5:07 PM
Feb 2019
i didn't have any hype for this anime, but after watching the first episode i got addicted
Dec 28, 2019 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
I wasn't really very impressed until the ending.. it felt like something I've seen before, not saying it wasn't good, it was actually a good episode lol

I wish they translated the entire final message from Fumio
Jan 2, 2020 2:04 PM
Apr 2019
I didn't expect Fumio to be killed, it appears that this series will have no problems killing characters.

It seems interesting, but the pace was a little fast to assimilate all the information. I hope it slows down the pace in the next episodes.
Jan 27, 2020 11:26 AM
Apr 2016
Wait wha- why did he...clearly not a suicide, but then, doesn't make sense that the text said "2 years," no way they could've known that he worked with him only for two years. So did he like, see something so horrifying that he immediately urged to suicide? Nope, no way. I'm curious
Jan 31, 2020 8:48 AM

Jul 2015
Holy crap, didn't expect that end

Looks like this will become a good mystery anime which definitely isn't holding back on killing characters
UnkrownedJan 31, 2020 10:48 AM

Feb 6, 2020 3:36 AM

Aug 2011
I dont relly watch anime's like this a friend said it is good...and im at ep 3 and i have to say its to much talk about politics and crap like that pretty boring for me.....not saying it's not good but its one of them animes that you need to watch 3-4 times to actualy understand wtf is going on
Mar 14, 2020 6:39 PM

Apr 2016
Fumio's death came rather quick, yeah? I expected him to fight alongside Seizaki for the entirety of the series.
Mar 21, 2020 11:35 PM

Dec 2013
This is pretty impressive. The art and sceneries looks really cool and the background music were effectively played on the scenes. I just can't believe what happened to Fumio, it's unexpected but I guess more bad stuff will happen not only to Zen but his colleagues and family. They touched a pretty messed up and huge crime and I can't wait to see more.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 2, 2020 4:50 PM

May 2010
That was so boring.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 7, 2020 8:48 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Dark always be good for the thriller. Idk why this show had low scores. Let see how much i can get in this show, then? But honestly, i dont really get along with thriller and physchological genres, i might getting these a bad review, however again, let see....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 18, 2020 11:41 PM

Jul 2016
Well... that's a shame. I was starting to like Fumio.

Okay so... after all the disappointment regarding this series' last episodes, I finally decided to give it a chance and to be honest, this was a quite intriguing start overall. Seizaki's morals about justice are kinda stereotyped tho so I hope this current case offers some interesting elements that can mess with his ideals since I love seeing those aspects in political thrillers.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Babylon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2020

118 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 7, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2019

319 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 6, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2020

442 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2019

157 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2020

98 by VanniePon »»
Feb 16, 6:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.