Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 6, 2019 7:08 AM

Feb 2019
Irondragon said:
RayReynolds said:
The first episode is meant for established game players and does nothing to make itself accessible to newcomers, and is the problem in general with fate animes they do not care about being a self-contained show, you are obliged to read their visual novel or video game to understand the context completely, and this is the last straw.
I don't understand why they would start adapting a story from the end, it doesn't matter if it's the best part or the most epic these characters don't matter to me at all. No boy, you have not earned the public, you have not established anything, we do not know context, characters, or motivations, It is like adapting naruto starting with the arc of Pain, however epic that arc, you have not given any context it is simply empty action show and also unintelligible because you do not know how the powers work and try to explain in the middle of the fight only ruins the rhythm and enjoyment of these, but what else does it matter? There you have your waifu beloved Mash will not have any personality, but being cute is enough for them.

While I do get your frustration you need to understand that this series is for fans of the game first and foremost. You wouldn't go into Avengers Endgame with the expectation of them recapping all 21 previous movies during the movie would you? About the arcs the thing is that arc 1-5 wouldn't make good adaptations since the story in them was very thin and most missions in game where of the type "go there kill that" repeat about 20x. It would be terrible like the worst Naruto/Bleach filler arcs. The main story really starts picking up in Camelot and Babylonia. That said they should have released the Camelot movie first in my opinion to help newcomers some what. Still don't drop it just yet they will explain most important stuff in do time you just need to be patient...

before endgame there are more than 20 movies, the purpose is to see them in order, marvel studios developed this plot little by little for more than 10 years, instead here it is presented as the adaptation as such of video game to anime, but they start at the end of the story, without previous seasons that I can see, if you want me to play the video game I do tell you that I will not do it, it's a gacha game means that is the same a loot box I need to spend real money to move forward, which is a scam I've always hated that game system.

addioo12 said:
RayReynolds said:
The first episode is meant for established game players and does nothing to make itself accessible to newcomers, and is the problem in general with fate animes they do not care about being a self-contained show, you are obliged to read their visual novel or video game to understand the context completely, and this is the last straw.
I don't understand why they would start adapting a story from the end, it doesn't matter if it's the best part or the most epic these characters don't matter to me at all. No boy, you have not earned the public, you have not established anything, we do not know context, characters, or motivations, It is like adapting naruto starting with the arc of Pain, however epic that arc, you have not given any context it is simply empty action show and also unintelligible because you do not know how the powers work and try to explain in the middle of the fight only ruins the rhythm and enjoyment of these, but what else does it matter? There you have your waifu beloved Mash will not have any personality, but being cute is enough for them.

I suppose you're also against second seasons and such lel

wrong analogy, there is no season before this and those films do not explain anything of the development between the beginning until this part of the story
Oct 6, 2019 7:08 AM

Apr 2010
Mirai said:
Tekakurika said:
So...

-----

But
Oct 6, 2019 7:33 AM

May 2018
I think the term "Rin face" is a bit inappropriate.
Ishtar also has her personality, body, body language, hairstyle and even voice actress.
I understand why they are doing this - Rin is pretty popular but maybe Luvia would be more suitable for the whole "goddess of love" business?
Oct 6, 2019 7:35 AM

Aug 2009
RayReynolds said:
Irondragon said:

While I do get your frustration you need to understand that this series is for fans of the game first and foremost. You wouldn't go into Avengers Endgame with the expectation of them recapping all 21 previous movies during the movie would you? About the arcs the thing is that arc 1-5 wouldn't make good adaptations since the story in them was very thin and most missions in game where of the type "go there kill that" repeat about 20x. It would be terrible like the worst Naruto/Bleach filler arcs. The main story really starts picking up in Camelot and Babylonia. That said they should have released the Camelot movie first in my opinion to help newcomers some what. Still don't drop it just yet they will explain most important stuff in do time you just need to be patient...

before endgame there are more than 20 movies, the purpose is to see them in order, marvel studios developed this plot little by little for more than 10 years, instead here it is presented as the adaptation as such of video game to anime, but they start at the end of the story, without previous seasons that I can see, if you want me to play the video game I do tell you that I will not do it, it's a gacha game means that is the same a loot box I need to spend real money to move forward, which is a scam I've always hated that game system.

addioo12 said:

wrong analogy, there is no season before this and those films do not explain anything of the development between the beginning until this part of the story

All you need is Fate/Grand Order:First Order and ep0 of this.

That's it. Everything else, including the movies that will be released later, have nothing to do with Babylon.Hell even previous chapters that will NEVER get an adaptation arent needed to understand Camelot either.

They are so badly written and so irrelevant that you can easily remove them.They offer nothing for Babylonia's and Camelot's story. First Order and ep0 explain clearly what their mission is. What you claim is like saying that you need the Amazing Spiderman and Blade movies to watch Endgame.You dont.They are irrelevant.

We have an established threat, established motivations,established artifact to retrieve and even what powers Mash is using, even tho it spoils the twist in Camelot.

The powers works like in any other Fate series and Mash has enough personality thanks to ep0.

So what is your problem?I mean beyond failing to pay attention because if you are familiar with any Fate anime this is a pretty understandable series.
Oct 6, 2019 7:36 AM

Apr 2016
alshu said:
Ishtar also has her personality, body, body language, hairstyle and even voice actress.
I understand why they are doing this - Rin is pretty popular but maybe Luvia would be more suitable for the whole "goddess of love" business?

Nah man, Luvia is more suitable for the whole "goddess of virginity" business.

Tekakurika said:

But

Dude his body is literally made from mud, do you think they dont have a spare one lying around ?
Oct 6, 2019 7:39 AM

Aug 2009
Swagernator said:
alshu said:

Tekakurika said:

But

Dude his body is literally made from mud, do you think they dont have a spare one lying around ?

I am sure Tekakurika is trolling.There is no way he is asking if he knows that name.

alshu said:

If you moved those quote marks one word to the right then you would understand.
Oct 6, 2019 8:01 AM

Aug 2016
Damn Cloverworks really massacred Ritsuka.

Oct 6, 2019 8:07 AM

Jul 2009
Decent start, but wow I can't imagine understanding this without playing the game first (luckily this arc happens to be where I'm up to lol). Lord El-Melloi from last season had plenty of setup so that even Fate newcomers could enjoy it, but here they jumped right into the fray.

The animation and CGI were fairly wonky at times, but at least they nailed the sound design. Loved the SFX of Mash and Ishtar's attacks.

Looking forward to seeing more of the servants.
Oct 6, 2019 8:24 AM

Aug 2009
Skittles said:
Decent start, but wow I can't imagine understanding this without playing the game first (luckily this arc happens to be where I'm up to lol). Lord El-Melloi from last season had plenty of setup so that even Fate newcomers could enjoy it, but here they jumped right into the fray.

The animation and CGI were fairly wonky at times, but at least they nailed the sound design. Loved the SFX of Mash and Ishtar's attacks.

The first few eps will be the setup for this.

Camelot and Babylonia are written in such a way that they need their won build up, unlike previous arc that were fairly simple(one side good one bad).

Shit will hit the fan about half way through it(doesnt mean we wont have some serious shit before that).
Oct 6, 2019 8:48 AM

Apr 2010
ssjokg said:
Swagernator said:

I am sure Tekakurika is trolling.There is no way he is asking if he knows that name.

Not really trolling i just forgot half the stuff some i remember some nah thats why
Oct 6, 2019 9:06 AM

May 2018
Swagernator said:

There is a difference between both positions?

ssjokg said:

Hahaha...so funny!
I don't get it.
alshuOct 6, 2019 9:09 AM
Oct 6, 2019 9:27 AM
Jun 2016
RayReynolds said:
Irondragon said:

addioo12 said:

I really do hate to talk about the game too much in this thread, but I just want to say that how Fate/Grand Order makes its money has nothing to do with blocking player progression with a necessity for strong gacha characters. It makes its money because people who are fans of the Fate franchise spend ludicrous amounts on their favorite characters. There are definitely gameplay reasons involved as well but the game does not put you in a position to have to spend money to clear content by any means. I doubt this would at all change your mind on whether or not you play it, which is at your digression so frankly I don't care either way. I just want to clarify that when it's being compared to other gacha games which may or may not be more of a paywall for success.

And in relation to the anime while I think there are people who haven't been exposed to Fate/Grand Order who will enjoy this, I think you're right to be pissed at how difficult it is made to get into these adaptations because they're so clearly catered to the source material's audience. I would say that the anime so far has been done well, but only strictly as a translation of the source material into animation, not as an adaptation. Because when it can't largely stand alone the adaptation loses merit as such. It's a shame, but especially in this case when they're adapting a story near the end of the entire first arc of the game it's gonna be really hard if not impossible to make it approachable without background knowledge. And as you referenced this is being adapted because it was the most popular, literally decided by a poll. Which of course means that they probably had minimal intentions of making this accessible in the first place.
Oct 6, 2019 9:38 AM

Jul 2009
ssjokg said:
Skittles said:

Camelot and Babylonia are written in such a way that they need their won build up, unlike previous arc that were fairly simple(one side good one bad).

Shit will hit the fan about half way through it(doesnt mean we wont have some serious shit before that).

Yeah that's good to hear. I heard some stuff in Camelot is connected to Babylonia though so they might have to adapt in things from there.

I totally get where they're coming from though for not adapting the past singularities. The previous arcs had such paper-thin stories that there really isn't much to adapt in the first place. They were basically fetch quests with a tacked-on story lol.
Oct 6, 2019 9:43 AM
May 2015
It was okay, a decent introduction. (I admit though that it needs veteran knowledge of Fate to make it here and novices risk getting confused)

The animation was a bit obvious on the CGI.

Wish there was more of Gilgamesh himself, but this is the start after all. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Oct 6, 2019 9:59 AM

Apr 2015
When I see the comments I-
This is why you shouldn't go blindly in game adaptations, do at least some research on the plot. And this is why a lot of fate fans said to not watch it if you don't have any knowledge on the series, but anyway.
I hope this new studio won't use too much fanservice, okay Ishtar's outfit is revealing but useless fanservice is not needed at all. ( i'm tired already of people saying ass shots like it was the most important parts.) The first seconds made me sad but then Gil's intro was so powerful i love him so much.
I can't wait for the next episode but I'm sad that we will never get anime Gudako.
Oct 6, 2019 10:00 AM

Aug 2009
alshu said:
Swagernator said:

ssjokg said:

Hahaha...so funny!
I don't get it.

"Love business"

Rin/Isthar love money etc

ShizuFlame said:
RayReynolds said:

I really do hate to talk about the game too much in this thread, but I just want to say that how Fate/Grand Order makes its money has nothing to do with blocking player progression with a necessity for strong gacha characters. It makes its money because people who are fans of the Fate franchise spend ludicrous amounts on their favorite characters. There are definitely gameplay reasons involved as well but the game does not put you in a position to have to spend money to clear content by any means. I doubt this would at all change your mind on whether or not you play it, which is at your digression so frankly I don't care either way. I just want to clarify that when it's being compared to other gacha games which may or may not be more of a paywall for success.

And in relation to the anime while I think there are people who haven't been exposed to Fate/Grand Order who will enjoy this, I think you're right to be pissed at how difficult it is made to get into these adaptations because they're so clearly catered to the source material's audience. I would say that the anime so far has been done well, but only strictly as a translation of the source material into animation, not as an adaptation. Because when it can't largely stand alone the adaptation loses merit as such. It's a shame, but especially in this case when they're adapting a story near the end of the entire first arc of the game it's gonna be really hard if not impossible to make it approachable without background knowledge. And as you referenced this is being adapted because it was the most popular, literally decided by a poll. Which of course means that they probably had minimal intentions of making this accessible in the first place.

It is very easy to understand Babylonia. This isnt rocket science.You can call this the 1st singularity and nothing would change for the story.

Even the writers treated the first stories a jokes before they realized that they fans actually wanted and supported a serious story.
You watch the prologue ova, ep 0 and then this.Boon.Done.Then you wait for this series to set up its own story.

Skittles said:
ssjokg said:

Yeah that's good to hear. I heard some stuff in Camelot is connected to Babylonia though so they might have to adapt in things from there.

I totally get where they're coming from though for not adapting the past singularities. The previous arcs had such paper-thin stories that there really isn't much to adapt in the first place. They were basically fetch quests with a tacked-on story lol.

What Camelot would help with:
Some of Mashu's development which I assume is the reason why we got ep0 to help make up for that.
What Heroic Spirit is fuse with Mash.....ofc Mash goes and "spoils" it here.
A certain Heroic Spirit is present in both.But while his first appearance IS in Camelot, he has enough foreshadowing in Babylonia. It's just that the Babylonia story doesnt include his backstory(what little we learn through the story of Camelot) unless we get some on liners from Davinci or Romani or even Ritsuka/Mash recalling what they learned in Camelot. But in short, guy is OP AF and that is all you need to know when he appears.

Yeah.They were a joke.Somehow Liz and Kiyohime would pop up everywhere. And then that stopped when TM decided to take it even slightly seriously.

Oct 6, 2019 10:07 AM
Jun 2016
ssjokg said:
alshu said:

Hahaha...so funny!
I don't get it.

"Love business"

ShizuFlame said:

It is very easy to understand Babylonia. This isnt rocket science.You can call this the 1st singularity and nothing would change for the story.

Even the writers treated the first stories a jokes before they realized that they fans actually wanted and supported a serious story.
You watch the prologue ova, ep 0 and then this.Boon.Done.Then you wait for this series to set up its own story.

Skittles said:

What Camelot would help with:
Some of Mashu's development which I assume is the reason why we got ep0 to help make up for that.
What Heroic Spirit is fuse with Mash.....ofc Mash goes and "spoils" it here.
A certain Heroic Spirit is present in both.But while his first appearance IS in Camelot, he has enough foreshadowing in Babylonia. It's just that the Babylonia story doesnt include his backstory(what little we learn through the story of Camelot) unless we get some on liners from Davinci or Romani or even Ritsuka/Mash recalling what they learned in Camelot. But in short, guy is OP AF and that is all you need to know when he appears.

Yeah.They were a joke.Somehow Liz and Kiyohime would pop up everywhere. And then that stopped when TM decided to take it even slightly seriously.

I meant more that a lot of character development has already happened. I wouldn't say it's hard to understand what's happening because the story itself is pretty self-contained within t he singularity.
Oct 6, 2019 10:32 AM

Nov 2013
ShizuFlame said:
the story itself is pretty self-contained within t he singularity.
That's all that really matters, my dude.
Oct 6, 2019 10:49 AM

Dec 2016
Decent first episode, and I liked it. However, I can already tell that this is going to be a significantly worse experience for those who haven't played FGO. A good portion of the development for all the characters and the plot have already happened in previous singularities (especially Camelot) and anime-onlys will have no knowledge of any of this. I guess you could watch the Episode 0 that came out before this anime, but even that wasn't very helpful and didn't even make much sense itself without having prior knowledge of FGO. I think there is also another movie or something about the start of the singularities, but I heard it was terrible so I haven't watched it yet.

Also the MC looks incredibly generic and boring, though I guess that was to be expected since his original character in the game is a literal self-insert.

What's the difference?
Oct 6, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2018
ssjokg said:

Never noticed Rin being that much into money.
On the other hand Ishtar among other things is goddess of love, beauty, fertility, justice, and political power - which totally describes Luvia.

(By the way I am bigger fan of Rin, so I like seeing her here...in some form. It's like she is cosplaying...)

Or maybe you are talking about the in universe version of Ishtar and how different she is from the myth. Not what I am talking about tho...
Oct 6, 2019 10:58 AM

Jan 2013
Mythologically said:
God that animation is disgusting. It's almost like CloverWorks is trying to imitate ufotable animation but failing miserably at it lmao.
its comments like these that make me worry that people don't understand the difference between art and animation (honestly, just unsure if you were being serious or not). The animation is on a whole other level of good with obvious drops to the art in some frames to compensate. Plus, they're not trying to copy ufotable. Nobody in the studio is. After doing a lot of research, there is a lot of talent being thrown into this production and it really shows. Makes me sad there is a lot of comparisons being made between ufotable and Cloverworks despite the team's efforts.
Oct 6, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2009
alshu said:
ssjokg said:

Never noticed Rin being that much into money.
On the other hand Ishtar among other things is goddess of love, beauty, fertility, justice, and political power - which totally describes Luvia.

(By the way I am bigger fan of Rin, so I like seeing her here...in some form. It's like she is cosplaying...)

Or maybe you are talking about the in universe version of Ishtar and how different she is from the myth. Not what I am talking about tho...

Rin's jewel magic really drains her funds and it is an in-universe and fandom joke that she loves and needs money.

Isthar has all of those titles but she is pretty bad. Literally a spoiled, useless(at least as a Servant) brat goddess. Which is why people call her Fate's Aqua.

Servant Ishtar is affected by Rin's personality so you could say its Rin with no memories of FSN and you would be correct.
Oct 6, 2019 11:14 AM
Jan 2016
Mythologically said:
God that animation is disgusting. It's almost like CloverWorks is trying to imitate ufotable animation but failing miserably at it lmao.
Ahh... another elitist saying that every good animation should be "uFoTaBLe"
Oct 6, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2010
MyPen said:

why not just Finished the Movie first then the Babylonia Anime?

Because it's different studios doing different things, they care about what they have to do rather than the big picture. Take it as two entirely different animes.

Also the main motivation is for the Fate fans, so the order doesn't matter for them.
Oct 6, 2019 11:23 AM

May 2018
ssjokg said:

Rin's jewel magic really drains her funds and it is an in-universe and fandom joke that she loves and needs money.

She is forced. It's not a real attraction to money.

ssjokg said:

Isthar has all of those titles but she is pretty bad. Literally a spoiled, useless(at least as a Servant) brat goddess. Which is why people call her Fate's Aqua.

Servant Ishtar is affected by Rin's personality so you could say its Rin with no memories of FSN and you would be correct.

I think that you guys familiar with the games should stop spoiling the plot and the characters.

Like if some anime only dude is having a theory, observations or asks rhetorical questions...this doesn't automatically mean "Spoil me because I am too lazy to look in wikipedia!".
Oct 6, 2019 11:32 AM

Aug 2009
alshu said:
ssjokg said:

She is forced. It's not a real attraction to money.

ssjokg said:

I think that you guys familiar with the games should stop spoiling the plot and the characters.

Like if some anime only dude is having a theory, observations or asks rhetorical questions...this doesn't automatically mean "Spoil me because I am too lazy to look in wikipedia!".

Forced or not it is a joke both in story and outside it.

How Rin+Isthar works isnt part of the story tho. "Why is some Mesopotamian goddess acting like a japanese tsundere schoolgirl?" should be addressed I believe.

Oct 6, 2019 11:44 AM
Dec 2017
Da Vinci is a girl because Mona Lisa
Oct 6, 2019 11:56 AM
Jan 2017
LeloTheUnamused said:
HeroVladimir93 said:
Let me be clear about this: I don't hate the Fate saga, I just find it hard to get me emotionally invested in it because of the massive amounts of lore and content to keep track of. The Fate saga is big on alternate universes, parallel timelines and what-if scenarios, so you'd need an encyclopedia's worth of knowledge to understand what's going on. I watched Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Extra a few years ago, but they weren't really my cup of tea, so I hope this show can give me a more positive impression of the Fate saga.

I watched the movie and the OVAs, so I do have context of what's going on here, but I don't have the mobile game, which is said to be the source material of the Fate/Grand Order, so it looks like I'm missing a substantial amount of information about the characters and the setting. That's okay, I'm not here to learn about the mythology or the superpowers of the setting. I just came here to watch a good story unfold. I'm a casual fan and I'm just watching this show for the entertainment value.

The production values are nothing short of extraordinary, the fight scenes were exceptionally well-done, the vocal performances were amazing and the characters' movements look fluid and seamless. Still, this show will stand or fall by the strength of its narrative and characters. You can have innovative world-building and interesting concepts all you want, but those things won't matter if you don't have characters to care about, so I really hope Fujimaru and Mash can carry the story all by themselves. All in all, the newest incarnation of the Fate saga is off to a good start and I can't wait to see what happens next.

You may be having some difficulties in getting certain plot details explained in (unadapted) previous chapters of FGO, but you seem to already be keeping that in mind, and yours looks like the right attitude to watch this for an anime only.
So, I hope you can find it entertaining and stick with us until the end.

(if you have any doubt, you can always ask others for clarity, like game players and such. There are some nice ones even on MAL, if I can call myself one lol)

Btw did you watch the "classic" Fate series, other than Apocrypha and Extra? Like UBW, Zero etc? (honest question)

Well, I watched a few episodes of the original Fate/stay night a few years ago, but I dropped it. The first Fate anime I actually completed was the Grand Order movie back in 2016. I mostly guide myself through the Fate through the anime adaptations, so I watched the Grand Order OVAs after hearing that the Grand Order series would continue.

Apart from Apocrypha and Extra, I haven't followed other Fate anime. The problem with the Fate saga is that you can't just watch any anime and get immediately hooked in. You have to watch everything in the order of release and memorize even the smallest details just to make sense of what's going on. Sometimes, I feel that Type-Moon prioritizes the long-time fans over the newcomers, and that you need an encyclopedia's worth of knowledge about the Fate saga to understand the setting and characters.

I don't care that much about those things, since I just watch these shows for the entertainment value. I just hope this particular series can be enjoyable to both long-time fans and newcomers.
Oct 6, 2019 12:49 PM
Jan 2013
So they skipped 6 singularities and jump to end?

Can anyone link any source here for getting to know what happened in those six. I have watched the movie and ep 0 and all the fate series. Still it will be hard to know the characters.

Can someone also list out the characters in those flash backs the hero names.
Oct 6, 2019 2:17 PM

Sep 2010
gta0gagan said:

Singularity 6 is getting two movies. Latest cm. The prologue or tutorial was animated in First Order. There's also episode 0 which covers Mashu's backstory and some of Roman's and that's the only relevant as far as the main caracters are concerned (Ritsuka doesn't count as a real character).

Can anyone link any source here for getting to know what happened in those six. I have watched the movie and ep 0 and all the fate series. Still it will be hard to know the characters.

The characters who appear in those singularities aren't important to Babylonia aside of the First Hassan and Merlin cameo in Camelot. And this will be be covered in the Camelot movies. So don't worry.

Orleans: Jeanne (main helper), Jeanne Alter (antagonist), Mozart and Marie Antoniette (allies).
Septem: Nero (main helper), Romulus (antagonist), Altera/Attila (antagonist), Boudica and Jin Ke (allies).
Okeanus: Francis Drake (main helper).
London: Mordred (main helper), Tesla, Tamamo and Kintoki (technically antagonists but it's complicated because they don't do much and help in the end, weird selection).
E pluribus unum (USA): Florence Nightingale (main helper), Karna (ally), Arjuna, Queen Medb, Cu Chulainn Alter (antagonists).
Jerusalem (Camelot): Sir Bedivere (main helper), Artoria Pendragon Lancer (technically should be the Lion King but they messed up and used her non Rhon design for no reason), Sir Lancelot (Saber), Sir Tristan, Sir Mordred, Sir Gawain (all antagonists).

Also what's with the "Endgame" comparison? Grand Time Temple is "Endgame", not Babylonia or Camelot, those are just chapters that lead to the conclusion that reunites everything so you don't need to necessarily connect it with others aside of two things:
1) Roman finally trusting Da Vinci (which happens off-screen but his change in London is essential) and putting two and two together about the enemy.
2) Mashu's growth and lessons which got recapped (but I feel they did a disservice to cut Mordred's words to her) and most of this will happen in Singularity F (already adapted in FO) and Camelot which will be covered.

There is indeed a thematic lesson in each singularity that ties to them and the general plot but the chapter individual story is self-contained.

I'm curious though what they'll do with Mashu's dream beforehand (the reason why she's late) and to show her question to Roman and his answer which were cut in this episode and are indeed important for the overachieving plot.
ThessOct 6, 2019 2:28 PM
Oct 6, 2019 2:24 PM

May 2015
gta0gagan said:

You can just read summaries of each singularity on the wiki if you want. I'd reccomend watching this playthrough of Camelot though(singularity prior to Babylonia). There are several things revealed in that singularity that'll end up having a good payoff in Babylonia and it's a good read imo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2M65EQvUQnc

Oct 6, 2019 2:24 PM

Dec 2009
Hold on a second... These characters keep moving like they are 3d animated (if you watch any 3d anime with attentiveness you'll know what i mean by how they move), yet they don't look 3d at all in most frames (for example da vinci early in the ep has 3d motions but looks 2d)... Did they actually perfect 2d shaders? There are many cases that look like they might be 3d, and many more that are almost impossible to tell. This is a real head-scratcher. Some aspects stand out a bit much, for example the flowing water looks a bit odd because it's too photorealistic. That's a funny complaint to make, because the water looks fucking amazing, it's just not blended into the frame right.

Sound design is godly, holy shit.
That Rin fanservice.

I'm on board with this show more than i thought i would be.

I'm not sure how i feel about them skipping a crapload of stuff...
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 6, 2019 2:56 PM

Oct 2012
Seems like good start with no bullshit and probably the most promising Fate anime lately (not counting Heaven's Feel which is great). After bad Apocrypha and El Melloi, this may be the one. Let's hope they keep the quality up in the next episodes.

Felt like they were showing off at time but the animation was also pretty stellar.

Lore-wise I'm not sold yet because some things in FGO universe are big stretch but let's see how Cloverworks manages.
Oct 6, 2019 2:58 PM

Aug 2014
HeroVladimir93 said:
LeloTheUnamused said:

You may be having some difficulties in getting certain plot details explained in (unadapted) previous chapters of FGO, but you seem to already be keeping that in mind, and yours looks like the right attitude to watch this for an anime only.
So, I hope you can find it entertaining and stick with us until the end.

(if you have any doubt, you can always ask others for clarity, like game players and such. There are some nice ones even on MAL, if I can call myself one lol)

Btw did you watch the "classic" Fate series, other than Apocrypha and Extra? Like UBW, Zero etc? (honest question)

Well, I watched a few episodes of the original Fate/stay night a few years ago, but I dropped it. The first Fate anime I actually completed was the Grand Order movie back in 2016. I mostly guide myself through the Fate through the anime adaptations, so I watched the Grand Order OVAs after hearing that the Grand Order series would continue.

Apart from Apocrypha and Extra, I haven't followed other Fate anime. The problem with the Fate saga is that you can't just watch any anime and get immediately hooked in. You have to watch everything in the order of release and memorize even the smallest details just to make sense of what's going on. Sometimes, I feel that Type-Moon prioritizes the long-time fans over the newcomers, and that you need an encyclopedia's worth of knowledge about the Fate saga to understand the setting and characters.

I don't care that much about those things, since I just watch these shows for the entertainment value. I just hope this particular series can be enjoyable to both long-time fans and newcomers.

I see.

I'd argue that both Zero and stay night (the ufotable one) can be viewed without other inputs, since they are the first stories and are therefore the source of settings/info/etc other series like Extra and Apocrypha take from.
So, if you happen to enjoy Grand Order, which is way bigger in scale, you may want to try again those ones after that, since they are smaller and self-contained, and being the starter points for the whole franchise.

But I like your honesty and clarity in what you like and want to watch. I really hope you have a good time with Babylonia, and as I said, if you ever want to know more or even clarify details, feel free to ask in these threads.
Some good people are already here and will reply kindly.

(you can even PM me if you ever need/want to)

gta0gagan said:

It will take some time, but you can watch this playlist for the skipped chapters (it includes Camelot, that will have movies): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe1ZNJcqJpBFXm9DpnbGZILfJg7GPNmFv

Those in the video are actual in-game cutscenes, so you'll get the whole story (you can obviously skip ingame battles).
All chapters are self-contained but add some elements on the overall story, bit by bit. But I have to say, aside from the prologue (Fuyuki), the first chapters are pretty much skippable. From the fourth one (London) onwards the story gets more interesting, both in the self-contained Orders and in the overall mystery behind them.
So, if you want to skip something, you can avoid Orleans, Septem and Okeanos.

LeloTheUnamusedOct 6, 2019 3:10 PM
Oct 6, 2019 3:05 PM
Jan 2017
LeloTheUnamused said:
HeroVladimir93 said:

I see.

I'd argue that both Zero and stay night (the ufotable one) can be viewed without other inputs, since they are the first stories and are therefore the source of settings/info/etc other series like Extra and Apocrypha take from.
So, if you happen to enjoy Grand Order, which is way bigger in scale, you may want to try again those ones after that, since they are smaller and self-contained, and being the starter points for the whole franchise.

But I like your honesty and clarity in what you like and want to watch. I really hope you have a good time with Babylonia, and as I said, if you ever want to know more or even clarify details, feel free to ask in these threads.
Some good people are already here and will reply kindly.

(you can even PM me if you ever need to)

Thanks for your understanding. The Fate saga has one of the biggest fan communities in modern anime history, and I'm glad to be a part of it, even if I'm just a casual fan.

I may go back and watch the original Fate/stay night in the future. From what I've watched, Apocrypha and Extra aren't really good starting points for fans, and as standalone stories, they aren't good either. Apocrypha was… adequate. It had a fine concept but its execution was lacking. I found it really hard to get emotionally invested in the main characters. Extra was a surrealistic mess; too much style, not enough substance. Hopefully, Grand/Order can succeed where those two failed.
Oct 6, 2019 3:37 PM
May 2016
Tekakurika said:
Mirai said:

-----

But

[/quote]
Oct 6, 2019 3:48 PM

Aug 2014
HeroVladimir93 said:

Thanks for your understanding. The Fate saga has one of the biggest fan communities in modern anime history, and I'm glad to be a part of it, even if I'm just a casual fan.

I may go back and watch the original Fate/stay night in the future. From what I've watched, Apocrypha and Extra aren't really good starting points for fans, and as standalone stories, they aren't good either. Apocrypha was… adequate. It had a fine concept but its execution was lacking. I found it really hard to get emotionally invested in the main characters. Extra was a surrealistic mess; too much style, not enough substance. Hopefully, Grand/Order can succeed where those two failed.

Yeah, I understand perfectly.
Reffering to the source materials, both Apocrypha and Extra are two separate universes that would require your knowledge of the "original" timeline to either understand how they're related to it or how much far from it they are.
Apocrypha is probably the most accessible of the two tho.

In terms of anime-only, tho, Apocrypha cut out a lot of stuff that, aside from making clear where the timelines differ, is important for understanding some characters. Yet, it's still... decent, lets' say.

Last Encore, on the other hand, is not even a proper Extra adaptation. It's more like a what if continuation of a bad ending from Extra, let's say.
And even then, it was really poorly adapted from the original script. So it's like double the not-anime only friendly.

I too hope you will like Grand Order, and Babylonia to be specific.
Grand Order's strength is to change setting each time, and showing characters in either their original story/myth or in completely different ones, while at the same time expanding on the usual Fate lore and telling a story that's, in itself, both small and big in scale at the same time.
I have high hopes in this adaptation and, again, I hope you'll like it.
Oct 6, 2019 4:31 PM

Sep 2010
Tekakurika said:
Mirai said:

-----

But

Oct 6, 2019 5:17 PM

Mar 2009
Like it or hate it, they did really well adapting it. Can't wait for more!!
Oct 6, 2019 8:28 PM
Mar 2017
Well ... after seeing the adaptation of lord the Meloi II, I must admit that little by little I have begun to connect with the Fate franchise and seeing PV of this anime connect immediately with me, I really liked the character design and the soundtrack at the time I saw the PV and I must admit that after watching this first episode I was fascinated by the result, besides Mash is the sweetest girl and I really liked the sequence in which she fought against those lions (that Mash ass look nice), it was reassuring to see how Mash came to the control room where Ritsuka and Dr.Roman were, I loved that Rie Takahashi made the voice of Mash, the vast majority of the characters that she gave her voice captivate me.
It makes me laugh a little to see how energetic and enthusiastic Da Vinci is (I can imagine why she is a woman), even so Da Vinci is so beautiful it closely resembles her beloved masterpiece.
I recognized several Heroic spirits when Dr. Roman talked about events prior to Babylon, I would like to know more about those events, especially those in London and Orleans.

Ishtar also made her appearance and left me quite satisfied, her battle scene was nice, also she has a nice butt, Ritsuka is a lucky guy who had the privilege of cushioning Ishtar's fall.

Enkidu also made his/her appearance and proved to be a very powerful ally, although I still don't trust him/her, but for the moment he/she guided Mash and Ritsuka where they should go.

Anyway, my expectations were more than fulfilled with this first episode, I hope this continues like this and I can't stand waiting to see how the story progresses.

I only had two doubts at the end of this episode, first of all who were the wizard and the little girl who appeared at the end? and Enkidu is male or female? This last question won't let me sleep.
Oct 6, 2019 11:01 PM
Jul 2018
FGO Drinking Game: Take a shot every time Mash says "senpai".

Warning: This game can potentially kill you.
Oct 7, 2019 12:29 AM

Feb 2014
Finally the wait is over!! The crew is starting in action. WOW what a sight for the eyes. 1st episode and we already get Ishtar and Enkidnu. Can't wait for the others to show up too.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 7, 2019 12:48 AM

Jun 2016
It was so nostalgic. Haha. I already quit playing FGO months ago but i can still feel the hype. Specially when Ishtar but-dived Fujimaru and Merlin's appearance on the last second of the episode. Haha. It's slightly not newbie friendly to people who didn't played the game because i guess they'll be expecting that the plot is similar to F/Z and F/SN. Good thing is that the studio gave a slight flashback about the previews singularities to slightly clear confusions. Enkidu's entrance is amazing too.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Oct 7, 2019 1:10 AM

Aug 2015
I don't play Fate Grand Order but I'm a Fate fan and I like Mesopotamia and the legend of Gilgamesh. So here I am. Not sure why this gets 21 episodes while a mainline Fate entry gets 13, but whatever. Leonardo da Vinci surprised me as a character I didn't expect to have a positive feeling about, I ended up liking a lot...must be the desu wa.

I watched episode 00, which I thought might cover what happened after that first FGO special in 2017 or whenever. dame So, I guess I know everything I need to more or less, but it all feels fuzzy, like where this Mage King came from. Also, I have Horrible Subs and they really are Horrible Subs. Well, whatever, all I really care about is Tohsaka's Ishtar's defenseless, flat ass.

God, I wish that was me. It would be an honor to be Tohsaka Ishtar's cushion, would it kill you to show some more gratitude?

So, we get to the "Absolute Demon Front" and it's a big freaking wall...this scenario feels like a mashup of Shin Megami Tensei and Attack on Titan.

Will be looking forward to Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk.
But I'll be watching for more Ishtar really. If this is anything like legend, then I presume that Ishtar is one of the Triple Entente Goddess Alliance.

glassknucklesOct 7, 2019 1:21 AM
Oct 7, 2019 1:28 AM

Aug 2014
glassknuckles said:
where this Mage King came from.

Basically, King Solomon wanted to incinerate humanity for some reason, and disrupted human history with the singularities in order to do it.
Each singularity is made by a sort of Holy Grail made by Solomon and sent to a key point in the past, where someone used it to, long story short, fuck up everything in that era.
Why Solomon, who should've been a pacific human king, did this and why he's so crazy and demonic (and even summons his demon gods) is something the characters are still trying to figure out during Babylonia. He is the Mage King they're referring to.

These info + First Order (the OVA that adapts the prologue) should give you enough context for almost everything. Just a couple of things revealed during Camelot (the chapter before Babylonia, which is getting movies) may be a bit more fuzzy, but they're not insanely important, they're just helpful to recognize some characters and names.

Hope this helps

EDIT: also, horriblesubs take from funimation I think, so they're kinda the "best subs" we could have right now.
Not perfect, but not the worst we could have.
Oct 7, 2019 2:53 AM

Aug 2009
glassknuckles said:
I don't play Fate Grand Order but I'm a Fate fan and I like Mesopotamia and the legend of Gilgamesh. So here I am. Not sure why this gets 21 episodes while a mainline Fate entry gets 13, but whatever.

Which main fate got 13 eps?
Oct 7, 2019 2:57 AM

Nov 2013
ssjokg said:
glassknuckles said:
I don't play Fate Grand Order but I'm a Fate fan and I like Mesopotamia and the legend of Gilgamesh. So here I am. Not sure why this gets 21 episodes while a mainline Fate entry gets 13, but whatever.

Which main fate got 13 eps?
Inb4 Case Files.

It's ok that's a common mistake.
Oct 7, 2019 5:07 AM

Jan 2013
Loving the "excessive" fanservice, hating the CG/3D? models. Not-Rin's ass could've looked better than that if it were 2D. I've been told it's 2D but that doesn't look 2D to me, everyone looks like they're wearing a 2D skin over a 3D/CG model, their movements look like it comes from a ps4 game.
sonictoryuiaiOct 7, 2019 5:10 AM
Oct 7, 2019 7:47 AM
Jan 2016
Masterful first episode!

Its cool to see some familiar faced characters!

And also the Rin entrace really impressed me, didn't expect that, now her name is Ishtar, but she as still the same vibe, her fight was epic, and her sliding move followed by brushing her hair was wonderfully good!

It is also nice to see Gilgamesh once again!

The design and art are really wonderful, and the animation is amusing to watch!

Curious to see more of it!
Oct 7, 2019 8:35 AM
Jul 2015
sonictoryuiai said:
Loving the "excessive" fanservice, hating the CG/3D? models. Not-Rin's ass could've looked better than that if it were 2D. I've been told it's 2D but that doesn't look 2D to me, everyone looks like they're wearing a 2D skin over a 3D/CG model, their movements look like it comes from a ps4 game.

Its 2D, there is no CG models for the characters other than the far away beasts
Here is some drawing from the episode
https://twitter.com/2940san/status/1180505277927309312
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

185 by keynutil »»
Apr 11, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2019

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

176 by keynutil »»
Apr 1, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

186 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

220 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.