Forum Settings
Forums

Vic Mignogna's Civil Case Against Funimation, Voice Actress Monica Rial, Ron Toye Dismissed

New
Oct 4, 2019 5:44 PM

Jan 2009
Court has dismissed all 17 of Mignogna's claims

Judge John P. Chupp dismissed all of voice actor Vic Mignogna's case against voice actress Monica Rial, Rial's fiance Ron Toye, and Funimation in Tarrant County District Court on Friday. The court dismissed Mignogna's five remaining claims against the defendants, for a total of 17 dismissed claims between Friday's ruling and a ruling on September 6. Mignogna's remaining case had alleged that Rial and Toye engaged in defamation and civil conspiracy against the Fullmetal Alchemist voice actor and that anime licensing company Funimation defamed him.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-10-04/vic-mignogna-civil-case-against-funimation-voice-actress-monica-rial-ron-toye-dismissed/.151881

its finally over lol the VICtims and conVICs have lost as the meme says
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 4, 2019 5:52 PM

Nov 2008
It's not a win for anyone, everyone loses especially with Funimation in the process of being cleaned up by Sony, then you still have Toei that has yet to make a decision about the Dragon Ball license and even then that's if no appeal happens. If you want to go deeper, most of the western side of the anime industry that isn't Netflix or Youtube (YT is getting into anime) is in deep shit.

Oct 4, 2019 6:03 PM

Aug 2018
I don't check ANN much, but damn did these people have no faith in the dude.
Wonder what'll happen now.
Oct 5, 2019 1:24 AM

Dec 2013
I can't say I'm too surprised...

Although we should remember this was only the case of Vic crying defamation. The main beef is still the case against him for improper sexual conduct, but it isn't looking good for him.
Oct 5, 2019 2:11 AM

Sep 2018
I wonder what the crying faboys who say "but, b-b-b-but Vic is innocent" will say now. Hopefully the creep gets banged up soon. His career is dead now as no one will work with him.
Oct 5, 2019 3:02 AM

Oct 2014
Hoppy said:
It's not a win for anyone, everyone loses especially with Funimation in the process of being cleaned up by Sony, then you still have Toei that has yet to make a decision about the Dragon Ball license and even then that's if no appeal happens. If you want to go deeper, most of the western side of the anime industry that isn't Netflix or Youtube (YT is getting into anime) is in deep shit.

Erm Netflix is facing hard times as well.

But would you like to elaborate about the western side being in trouble?
All I know is That Warner media is cleaning house, which will affect CR but that is all I know.
Oct 6, 2019 5:09 PM

May 2014
I believe he can still appeal if he wants to. Even if it ends here, at least all the evidence is out there for people to come to their own conclusions on. I don't really care for dubs, so i wasn't on anyone's side when i heard about this, but wow, there's some awful people involved in this case.
Oct 6, 2019 10:11 PM

May 2013
QPR said:
I wonder what the crying faboys who say "but, b-b-b-but Vic is innocent" will say now. Hopefully the creep gets banged up soon. His career is dead now as no one will work with him.

Dunno. The judge apparently acknowledges that there will almost certainly be appeals.

Oct 7, 2019 12:21 AM

Sep 2018
Pxi2 said:

Dunno. The judge apparently acknowledges that there will almost certainly be appeals.

I am not sure, his case wasn't just lost, it was destroyed.
Oct 8, 2019 1:06 AM

Aug 2007
QPR said:

Lol wanting Vic to get beat up for losing a lawsuit.
Oct 8, 2019 2:23 AM

Sep 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:

Lol thinking banged up means getting beat up.
Oct 9, 2019 12:12 PM

Aug 2007
QPR said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Lol thinking banged up means getting beat up.

It totally does..
Oct 9, 2019 12:55 PM

Sep 2019
Women ruining a man's life and getting away with it nothing knew in this clown world.
Oct 11, 2019 8:37 AM

Mar 2011
I think this a cultural difference on what banged up means--like fag--just making an observation..
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Oct 11, 2019 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
as lawtwitter said from the time they got involved until the end, it was destined to fail
no feeling sorry for lasagna at all he's a creep who dug his own grave and comes across as straight up remorseless for his actions, like i said he did it to himself, and he only further accelerated his downfall by being petty and suing his coworkers and funi instead of lying low. a lot of creeps who've been me too'd sadly were able to lie low or issue hamfisted apologies and at least pretend to be remorseful and come back, but vic was petty and ultimately both his own poor decision to sue and his stupid fans ensured that nobody will want to work with him again in the va industry. boo hoo too bad so sad he had the choice and he made the worst one

Mod Edit: Removed baiting
Fleeting_DreamOct 17, 2019 9:33 AM
Oct 14, 2019 4:05 PM

May 2015
It's hilarious how smug the KV losers are even though they're still in the wrong. xD

Oct 15, 2019 9:19 AM

Jul 2016
So ISWV is still trying to pretends they're in the right side and Vic is innocent?

Not surprising whatever. Their delusional level is insane.
Oct 16, 2019 12:24 PM

Aug 2007
nessarosie said:

as lawtwitter said from the time they got involved until the end, it was destined to fail
no feeling sorry for lasagna at all he's a creep who dug his own grave and comes across as straight up remorseless for his actions, like i said he did it to himself, and he only further accelerated his downfall by being petty and suing his coworkers and funi instead of lying low. a lot of creeps who've been me too'd sadly were able to lie low or issue hamfisted apologies and at least pretend to be remorseful and come back, but vic was petty and ultimately both his own poor decision to sue and his stupid fans ensured that nobody will want to work with him again in the va industry. boo hoo too bad so sad he had the choice and he made the worst one

How can he be remorseful for "actions" that were never revealed to have happened?
Fleeting_DreamOct 17, 2019 9:34 AM
Oct 16, 2019 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
nessarosie said:

How can he be remorseful for "actions" that were never revealed to have happened?

but did Vic and his lawyers proven they are being defamed though, they should have properly debunk the accusations against Vic with hard evidence from them but looks like they did not do that
Oct 16, 2019 3:57 PM

Aug 2007
deg said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

but did Vic and his lawyers proven they are being defamed though, they should have properly debunk the accusations against Vic with hard evidence from them but looks like they did not do that

So not proving something didn't happen means it happened?
Oct 16, 2019 5:23 PM

Jan 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
deg said:

whats the point of this defamation case that started by Vic then? isnt it to prove his innocence?
Oct 16, 2019 6:48 PM

Aug 2018
Did Monica actually do anything beyond a few tweets about the topic?
Oct 16, 2019 8:14 PM

Oct 2015
So is the whole debacle turning people off from these VAs?

I kinda stopped watching anime, but I still play DBFZ with the English voices.

"If you don’t believe in yourself, no one will do it for you."
Oct 17, 2019 11:46 PM

Aug 2016
j'accuse j'accuse j'accuse

Yep. You can make up any type of bullshit about someone and tarnish their reputation with zero consequences..
Oct 18, 2019 12:03 PM

Aug 2007
deg said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

whats the point of this defamation case that started by Vic then? isnt it to prove his innocence?

It would be if it was a criminal case. Since this is civil it was about getting his reputation back. He fought hard for it and lost but didn't lose entirely since he still gets invited to cons. We don't know if Viz fired him too yet.

IEatAnimeAss said:
Did Monica actually do anything beyond a few tweets about the topic?

She interfered with Vic's Kamehacon contract and also tried to threaten people on Twitter with Homeland Security which doesn't deal with anything other than actual terrorist threats.
Oct 19, 2019 3:16 AM

Sep 2018
JFuji said:

Yep. You can make up any type of bullshit about someone and tarnish their reputation with zero consequences..

The court found no evidence it was made up, the only consequences are for this creep who will probably never work again.

Hopefully a criminal case starts up soon.
Oct 19, 2019 11:59 PM

Aug 2007
QPR said:
JFuji said:

The court found no evidence it was made up, the only consequences are for this creep who will probably never work again.

Hopefully a criminal case starts up soon.

They're not going to have a criminal case because they know there wouldn't be any evidence to convict him.
Oct 20, 2019 8:16 PM

Dec 2008
All it did was reinforce my original opinion that Mignogna is a total douchebag.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 21, 2019 12:03 AM

Sep 2018
zrdb said:
All it did was reinforce my original opinion that Mignogna is a total douchebag.

Yup, no one who has been with him has said he is a nice guy, literally comment I have seen about him is that he is a creep.
Oct 21, 2019 9:26 AM

Aug 2007
QPR said:
zrdb said:

Yup, no one who has been with him has said he is a nice guy, literally comment I have seen about him is that he is a creep.

Then you clearly haven't been paying attention at all. There are plenty of people who know him who have defended him. Not just fans.
Oct 21, 2019 10:20 AM

Mar 2011
So is there going to be another case or how long till he gets an appeal heard?
Oct 21, 2019 12:50 PM

Aug 2007
Silverstorm said:

The judge has to rule on sanctions first then they can appeal.
Oct 21, 2019 3:17 PM

Mar 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
Silverstorm said:

ok, not so bad, this is more like a to be continued ending of dbz. Well, we can only see how this progresses. Was any of the case a labor dispute outside of the defamation and work environment? I didn't follow the case closely and most articles I'm finding, leave out alot of those kind of details. Not sure if labor could be challenged but atleast a new lawyer has that opening if it wasn't used in this case.
Oct 21, 2019 4:00 PM

Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
QPR said:

Then you clearly haven't been paying attention at all. There are plenty of people who know him who have defended him. Not just fans.

Maybe so but I'm not one of them, I saw him once at a convention and he seemed to be a total butt hole.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 22, 2019 10:32 AM

Aug 2007
Silverstorm said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

ok, not so bad, this is more like a to be continued ending of dbz. Well, we can only see how this progresses. Was any of the case a labor dispute outside of the defamation and work environment? I didn't follow the case closely and most articles I'm finding, leave out alot of those kind of details. Not sure if labor could be challenged but atleast a new lawyer has that opening if it wasn't used in this case.

They can't introduce new things in an appeal.
Oct 22, 2019 12:58 PM

Mar 2011
@Drunk_Samurai I meant if he made a new case outside this one
Oct 23, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2007
Silverstorm said:

I don't think he can.
Oct 23, 2019 11:18 AM

Mar 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
Silverstorm said:

I don't think he can.
Damn, that does suck--would have made for a interesting round 2--or 3?
Oct 24, 2019 12:01 PM

Aug 2007
Silverstorm said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I don't think he can.
Damn, that does suck--would have made for a interesting round 2--or 3?

I think they were planning on a round 2 if they got past the TCPA.
Dec 2, 2019 11:33 AM
Dec 2016
It would appear that the fees awarded by the court are minimal - meaning that the defendants are stuck paying for the bulk of their defense. Of course Vic plans on appealing his case. The judge has pretty much stated that he expects an appeal. I personally find most of the accusations against Mignogna to be questionable at best. They majority have been anonymous. The main defendants allegedly said that Mignogna would go to jail for his crimes and that there were over 100 women willing to testify. Of course, these 100+ women and their stories seem to have evaporated into thin air as well as the criminal charges that were supposed to be forthcoming.

The whole case stinks. I hope Mignogna prevails in his lawsuit.
Dec 2, 2019 11:36 AM

Jan 2009
Hei_in_FL said:
It would appear that the fees awarded by the court are minimal - meaning that the defendants are stuck paying for the bulk of their defense. Of course Vic plans on appealing his case. The judge has pretty much stated that he expects an appeal. I personally find most of the accusations against Mignogna to be questionable at best. They majority have been anonymous. The main defendants allegedly said that Mignogna would go to jail for his crimes and that there were over 100 women willing to testify. Of course, these 100+ women and their stories seem to have evaporated into thin air as well as the criminal charges that were supposed to be forthcoming.

The whole case stinks. I hope Mignogna prevails in his lawsuit.

you should have made a dedicated thread for the fees, i saw a news about it too but im too lazy to make a thread for it so do it instead
Dec 4, 2019 10:08 AM

Oct 2018
Thread Locked

As per board rules, please do not bump Current Event threads that are more than 2 weeks old.

Current Events Rule 3: Do not bump threads more than two weeks old.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.