Forum Settings
Forums

How Do You View Marriage/Divorce Desu?~☆♡

New
Oct 4, 2019 4:26 PM

Oct 2018
Most people I've met have used them for profits..

L0LlOct 4, 2019 7:29 PM

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 4, 2019 5:26 PM

Nov 2017
i mean if i was straight i definitely wouldn't want to get married since its insanely easy for men to get screwed over the majority of their money/stuff but since i would be marrying another man then i wouldn't mind getting a legal wedding if its someone i really think i can spend the rest of my life with. but i wouldn't have a ceremony, its a gigantic scam and i'd rather spend all that money traveling the world with my significant other instead of blowing it on a wedding full of my relatives and in-laws that i probably don't want to see anyways.

as for divorce, i think its fine if it turns into a toxic relationship, but i still think people (especially guys) should marry someone they know they can probably spend the rest of their life with. really against marriages between couples who have been together for 3 years or less, majority of the time it ends in divorce within a couple of years.
Oct 5, 2019 1:39 AM
Jul 2018
Of course for profit and advantage. Otherwise you could stay in your relationship as it is.
Oct 5, 2019 1:46 AM

Jul 2015
Marriages isn't necessary nowadays. I know some couples that have been together for 10+ years and by all means act like they're married but aren't. They're functionally identical to a married couple except for their status on paper.

Still makes sense to get married though. You wouldn't want to wind up in a situation where one of you gets injured and then the hospital mucks about because the other person isn't officially a familymember.

It's true that love doesn't need institutionalization, but making it [official] is smart for many reasons. If everything goes according to plan, I'll get married in a few years as well.

Got nothing much to say about divorce. Can happen for a multitude of reasons, so judging it is only possible on a case-by-case basis. It is what it is.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Oct 5, 2019 1:54 AM

Aug 2012
Passive. Getting married is just like having a long ass relationship. People who really complain about marriage being hell are just melodramatic individuals by default. There's no necessity for it to be either good or bad, and most of the time people misjudge a marriage situation that is neutral as 'bad'.
Oct 5, 2019 1:56 AM

Mar 2014
someone gave me a great answer when i asked the same question to her and i agree with her answer.

she said something like this: "the marriage is like a sanctuary, where one can be true to their partner. a place where there is nothing hidden for the people inside."

there are many profits from marriage. first, the surety feeling. you don't fall to guessing things or suspicious of your partner behavior when you're not around. second, the teamwork benefit. "2 minds are better than one", remember? it's easier to find a proper solution for a problem. third, the connection. marriage connects your circle with your partner's circle. as you know, in life, we have to live within a "circle" or group of people. so the combination of you and your partner's making your life bigger and wider.
Oct 5, 2019 2:07 AM

Jul 2015
nym_ said:
someone gave me a great answer when i asked the same question to her and i agree with her answer.

she said something like this: "the marriage is like a sanctuary, where one can be true to their partner. a place where there is nothing hidden for the people inside."

there are many profits from marriage. first, the surety feeling. you don't fall to guessing things or suspicious of your partner behavior when you're not around. second, the teamwork benefit. "2 minds are better than one", remember? it's easier to find a proper solution for a problem. third, the connection. marriage connects your circle with your partner's circle. as you know, in life, we have to live within a "circle" or group of people. so the combination of you and your partner's making your life bigger and wider.
What if your husband beats you and cheats on you with that younger woman from the office?
What if your wife emotionally abuses you and cheats on you with your neighbor?

Those things can still be part of a marriage, so is marriage really a sanctuary?
Imo all marriage is, is a cultural institution that some people attach a lot of meaning to while others don't. Apparently your friend is one of the people that attach all the meaning to it, kind of like some people attach a lot of meaning to Christmas while to others its just another day.

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Oct 5, 2019 2:16 AM

Jul 2007
It's only worth bothering with for the legal benefits. I've had a few friends get married recently and they've all spent obscene amounts of money on ceremonies and receptions etc. I don't get the appeal myself.
Oct 5, 2019 2:21 AM

May 2014
It's never been something i've wanted. I'd be happy enough just to be with someone, but if my partner wanted to get married i'd do it. I just wouldn't be upset if they didn't propose. If i did get married, i'd rather not have a big church wedding. Feels a bit wrong when i'm not religious, i felt that way at the weddings i went to as a kid.
Oct 5, 2019 2:23 AM

Mar 2014
Railey2 said:
nym_ said:

What if your husband beats you and cheats on you with that younger woman from the office?
if your partner did that, then he/she was not being true to you. and that's the importance of your close friends or family opinion about your partner before deciding to marry them. cuz your eyes might be blinded by your love of your partner that you overlooked something important about him/her. i think the problem is that many young people often neglect this. many of them don't consult to their close friends or family before holding a marriage.

someone cheat their partner cuz many reasons but the basic reason is the lack of trust. cuz you don't trust your partner can give you satisfaction more than that younger woman from the office or your neighbor might give to you, that's the reason why you cheat on your partner, right?

well, i just wanna say, if we compare between the benefits and the losses of marriage, there are more benefits than losses. and i already showed you 3 of the benefits of marriage.
Oct 5, 2019 2:26 AM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
nym_ said:

Those things can still be part of a marriage, so is marriage really a sanctuary?
Imo all marriage is, is a cultural institution that some people attach a lot of meaning to while others don't. Apparently your friend is one of the people that attach all the meaning to it, kind of like some people attach a lot of meaning to Christmas while to others its just another day.

You'd have to draw a line as to what type of people you choose to address. I think it's safe to say that most marriages come out either fine, or end up in a mutual civilised request for a divorce. People who abide by social morals (i.e marriage) and proceed to bastardize the relationship by cheating or abusing are just bad people overall, and you'd notice it almost immediately. The ones in the wrong are those who continue living with the false belief that "everything will be better" and keep complaining about how their life sucks.

An easy way to figure out if your significant other might be that type of person is ask a few open questions: What am I to you, what is this marriage to you, and what do you plan to sacrifice in your life (and mine) for this whole thing to work out? A cheesy reply would indicate melodrama. Not directly answering the question indicates weak-personality that can easily be molded (or trickery, but you wouldn't figure that out anyway). A straight forward answer is the one you're looking for. Then hope for the best to come out of your judgement.
Oct 5, 2019 2:27 AM

Jul 2015
nym_ said:
Railey2 said:
if your partner did that, then he/she was not being true to you. and that's the importance of your close friends or family opinion about your partner before decide to marry them. cuz your eyes might be blinded by your love of your partner that you overlooked something important about him/her. i think the problem is that many young people often neglect this. many of them don't consult to their close friends or family before holding a marriage.

someone cheat their partner cuz many reasons but the basic reason is the lack of trust. cuz you don't trust your partner can give you satisfaction more than that younger woman from the office or your neighbor might give to you, that's the reason why you cheat on your partner, right?

well, i just wanna say, if we compare between the benefits and the losses of marriage, there are more benefits than losses. and i already showed you 3 of the benefits of marriage.
All the 3 benefits you mentioned aren't exclusive or inherent to marriage.
It's perfectly possible to be paranoid in a marriage, it's perfectly possible to work against each other in a marriage, it's perfectly possible to be detached from your circle of friends even though you're married.

Dunno why you think why marriage inherently improves relationships/lives. The only thing that can improve relationships is empathy and a real desire to understand and respect the other person.
The only advantages that marriage inherently brings with it are the institutional benefits, like tax benefits etc.

Oct 5, 2019 2:28 AM

Mar 2019
Depends on one's jurisdiction — in some jurisdictions there are actual tangible benefits to getting married; this is a flaw of the law there and that should be repealed.

In the Netherlands the government has systemically removed those things over the decades and there's almost nothing left now, there are only disadvantages and the man who gets married is a fool and a labelfag.

Also: i.t.t.: bourgeois who are seriously debating the legals of marriage without specifying their jurisdiction.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Oct 5, 2019 2:33 AM

Aug 2012
Sphinxter said:
In the Netherlands the government has systemically removed those things over the decades and there's almost nothing left now, there are only disadvantages and the man who gets married is a fool and a labelfag.
Meaning, if you have a child out of wedlock, he still shall be given the name of his father, even though there is no legal obligation for that to happen? or is he be named after some famous Dutch footballer?
Oct 5, 2019 2:34 AM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:
Railey2 said:

You'd have to draw a line as to what type of people you choose to address. I think it's safe to say that most marriages come out either fine, or end up in a mutual civilised request for a divorce. People who abide by social morals (i.e marriage) and proceed to bastardize the relationship by cheating or abusing are just bad people overall, and you'd notice it almost immediately. The ones in the wrong are those who continue living with the false belief that "everything will be better" and keep complaining about how their life sucks.

An easy way to figure out if your significant other might be that type of person is ask a few open questions: What am I to you, what is this marriage to you, and what do you plan to sacrifice in your life (and mine) for this whole thing to work out? A cheesy reply would indicate melodrama. Not directly answering the question indicates weak-personality that can easily be molded. A straight forward answer is the one you're looking for. Then hope for the best to come out of your judgement.
Call me cynical, but in my eyes most marriages are pretty dysfunctional. Just because two people don't divorce doesn't mean they're happy, and the divorce rate is already at 50%, so go figure.

Divorces rarely are completely mutually felt, there's often one side that still wants to try while the other wants to get the fuck out, and if BOTH sides want to get the fuck out then chances are that it was absolutely awful before they got to that point.

I dunno man. Marriage as a sanctuary? I really wish I could see it that way, but it's not happening.

But what you said is good advice for people that try to make it work. Communication is the most important thing.

Oct 5, 2019 2:42 AM

Mar 2019
Yarub said:
Sphinxter said:
Meaning, if you have a child out of wedlock, he still shall be given the name of his father, even though there is no legal obligation for that to happen? or is he be named after some famous Dutch footballer?
Depends on how one arranged it.

When no arrangements are made, a child born out wedlock shall have the last name of the person that delivered the child by default; the parties that are the legal parent of this child (a maximum of 4) may come to an agreement to change this default to that of any of the other three; if they cannot come to such an agreement unanimously then the default wins.

However these parties may also enter into a contract at any point that stipulates this which is legally binding.

In the case of a child being born in wedlock, by default it shall have the last name of whomever the one giving birth to it is married to, regardless of biological relationship to the child; this again can similarly be altered by either unanimous decision or similar contracts established beforehand.

The major thing of Dutch marriage is that all o the advantages thereof can already be arranged by contract law, but it still carries some inescapable disadvantages that cannot be avoided by contract law.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Oct 5, 2019 2:43 AM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
Yarub said:

An easy way to figure out if your significant other might be that type of person is ask a few open questions: What am I to you, what is this marriage to you, and what do you plan to sacrifice in your life (and mine) for this whole thing to work out? A cheesy reply would indicate melodrama. Not directly answering the question indicates weak-personality that can easily be molded. A straight forward answer is the one you're looking for. Then hope for the best to come out of your judgement.
Call me cynical, but in my eyes most marriages are pretty dysfunctional. Just because two people don't divorce doesn't mean they're happy, and the divorce rate is already at 50%, so go figure.

Divorces rarely are completely mutually felt, there's often one side that still wants to try while the other wants to get the fuck out, and if BOTH sides want to get the fuck out then chances are that it was absolutely awful before they got to that point.

I dunno man. Marriage as a sanctuary? I really wish I could see it that way, but it's not happening.

But what you said is good advice for people that try to make it work. Communication is the most important thing.
And you see, that's the beauty of religion; it brings non-concordant people together. I cannot name one single person I know that married and ended his marriage in a divorce before he met his end, even though both parties can greatly benefit from having one if they were dissatisfied. But I am not one to speak of the general population - one that is hungry for frivolous pursuits. But unknowingly, I'd wager the average divorce rate in the ME is less than in Europe.

Marriage is a sanctuary if you make it to be. Religion, habits, and demeanor are all huge factors for it to work or not. I myself do not really care about such ideas but will participate if need be.

Sphinxter said:
Depends on how one arranged it.

When no arrangements are made, a child born out wedlock shall have the last name of the person that delivered the child by default; the parties that are the legal parent of this child (a maximum of 4) may come to an agreement to change this default to that of any of the other three; if they cannot come to such an agreement unanimously then the default wins.

However these parties may also enter into a contract at any point that stipulates this which is legally binding.

In the case of a child being born in wedlock, by default it shall have the last name of whomever the one giving birth to it is married to, regardless of biological relationship to the child; this again can similarly be altered by either unanimous decision or similar contracts established beforehand.
So, you go by the least invasive route? That's respectable. If you're born out of wedlock here, you're pretty much fucked naming wise, because nobody wants to admit that you're his patrilineal.

Also, props to the last sentence. "it shall have the last name of whomever the one giving birth to it is married to", so, a male that is characteristic of having higher density of muscle to fat ratio, has a penis, generally has higher stature, and higher portion of the body presents hair follicles. A polar opposite of a female that generally gives birth to the child.
YarubOct 5, 2019 2:49 AM
Oct 5, 2019 2:49 AM

Mar 2014
Railey2 said:
nym_ said:
if your partner did that, then he/she was not being true to you. and that's the importance of your close friends or family opinion about your partner before decide to marry them. cuz your eyes might be blinded by your love of your partner that you overlooked something important about him/her. i think the problem is that many young people often neglect this. many of them don't consult to their close friends or family before holding a marriage.

All the 3 benefits you mentioned aren't exclusive or inherent to marriage.
It's perfectly possible to be paranoid in a marriage, it's perfectly possible to work against each other in a marriage, it's perfectly possible to be detached from your circle of friends even though you're married.

1. if one is still paranoid even after marrying someone she/he love, then the love isn't true. love should conform things, not the otherwise.

2. i can't even find a logical reason why you would marry someone who's against you tbh. you love someone because you find your half on them. cuz you think that they have something that you want to be part of your life. so, i really honestly don't understand your argument. look, for me, marriage should be based on love by being true to your partner. you tell them what you want from them and you also know what they want from you.

3. this depend on personal preference. and i don't see anything wrong with being detached with your friends to focus on maintaining your marriage. cuz when you married someone your priority will be moved to you and your partner life, not the life of your friends. but of course that doesn't mean you don't care about your friends anymore. your friends has just become the second or third or fourth or even fifth, seventh, eighth, ninth or whatever priority in your life. it's all about which thing you prioritize more.
Oct 5, 2019 3:07 AM

Jul 2015
@nym_

1. Yes that's the point. Love very frequently "isn't true", whatever exactly that means to you. Also it's possible to be in love and paranoid at the same time. Some (dsyfunctional) people just can't help it.

2. Maybe you don't work against each other the second you get married, but enmities usually develop over time so there you go. Also theres this crowd of people that get married because they think it'll save their relationship.

3. so you conceded that I'm right and that it has nothing to do with marriage. Cool. Also you're wrong, marriage isn't automatically the #1 priority in your life.

Seriously nym, all the benefits of marriage that you mentioned are completely contingent on the details of the relationship. Jealousy/Paranoia, being a team, having nice friendships next to the relationships.

Marriage isn't magical dude, it's just a cultural contract/promise sort of thingie that two people can conclude, but promises and contracts are broken all the time. Especially marriages.

Oct 5, 2019 3:10 AM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:

And you see, that's the beauty of religion; it brings non-concordant people together. I cannot name one single person I know that married and ended his marriage in a divorce before he met his end, even though both parties can greatly benefit from having one if they were dissatisfied.
That's a bad thing, you realize that right? Quite a terrible thing actually, lol.

And yeah, no shit people aren't gonna get divorced if society punishes you for it. I wouldn't divorce either. I'd have fun with the rest of my miserable life and a wife that I hate, I guess.

Oct 5, 2019 3:27 AM

Mar 2014
@railey2

1. well, if you use "some dysfunctional people did this, some dysfunctional people did that" excuse, then everything in this world is a bad thing. discussion is bad because "some dysfunctional people" just trolling stuff. socialization is bad because "some dysfunctional people" do that to make stigma about other people. you see, if we see things from "some dysfunctional people" perspective, every single thing in this world would be a bad thing. i just wanna ask you to see marriage from a "normal people" perspective, not "some dysfunctional people" perspective for the sake of neutrality of our argument.

2. i say it again, "love should conform things". if a love lose to enmities, then it's not love, it's "lust". people that get married just to save their relationship are just desperate people.

3. yep, you're right cuz there's nothing wrong with what you said. like i said, it's all about personal preference/choice and priority. you can't blame someone for choosing their own path in life right? nor you can force them to choose a path that you like for them.

i never said marriage is something magical. i also never said a marriage is always a smooth sailing. i just said that marriage is like a sanctuary, a place where you can be true to your partner and there are benefits from marriage that an non-married relationship can't guarantee.

why do i feel that youre so oppose of marriage? what's so bad about it though?
Oct 5, 2019 3:28 AM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
Yarub said:

And you see, that's the beauty of religion; it brings non-concordant people together. I cannot name one single person I know that married and ended his marriage in a divorce before he met his end, even though both parties can greatly benefit from having one if they were dissatisfied.
That's a bad thing, you realize that right? Quite a terrible thing actually, lol.

And yeah, no shit people aren't gonna get divorced if society punishes you for it. I wouldn't divorce either. I'd have fun with the rest of my miserable life and a wife that I hate, I guess.
It can be both bad and beautiful. Love is dispensable, hate is not. this is not from the new Joker movie I swear. But anyway, I don't really see a specific scenario where x and y are two normal people who don't fancy each other that much, want to really REALLY get away from each other. Like I said, frivolous pursuits.

Actually, if you divorce, you get a shit ton of benefits that outweigh the possible "societal rampage" (even though there isn't much of that). If you're a woman, you get a shit ton of money and can marry another person freely. If you're a man, well, tough luck, you don't really gain much except for freedom of acquaintance. People stay in miserable lives because they don't know how to solve their problems, not because marriage or society is bad
Oct 5, 2019 3:37 AM

Feb 2019
Well, the closest experience I've had with marriage, the one with my mother and father, was a complete and utter failure. Not gonna go into details, but it was shit and they kept it until my mother's death because 'think of the kids'. I'd wager growing up in a dysfunctional home is much worse than having their parents divorce. My father, who is extremely catholic, married months after my mother passed away and he has been in that marriage, a normal, functional marriage, to this day.

What I mean is I don't see marriage as a sacred institution. I know, it's mainly religious, but nowadays how many people in Europe marry because of religious belief? I think marriage, a private contract in which the clauses are already dictated by the state, just like every other relationship, must be based on communication and mutual understanding, and be terminated if it doesn't work for both parties. I don't have a particular view on divorce, neither good or bad, it's something necessary for relationships to stay healthy.

Will I marry someone? Probably not, don't see the point. Will I have a long-term relationship with someone and maybe establish a registered partnership or apply for cohabitation? Yes, that's what I'd prefer.
KosmonautOct 5, 2019 3:49 AM
Oct 5, 2019 3:57 AM

Apr 2016
waste of time money and effort for nothing
Oct 5, 2019 4:08 AM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:
Railey2 said:

It can be both bad and beautiful. Love is dispensable, hate is not. this is not from the new Joker movie I swear. But anyway, I don't really see a specific scenario where x and y are two normal people who don't fancy each other that much, want to really REALLY get away from each other. Like I said, frivolous pursuits.

Actually, if you divorce, you get a shit ton of benefits that outweigh the possible "societal rampage" (even though there isn't much of that). If you're a woman, you get a shit ton of money and can marry another person freely. If you're a man, well, tough luck, you don't really gain much except for freedom of acquaintance. People stay in miserable lives because they don't know how to solve their problems, not because marriage or society is bad
A society that keeps people trapped in marriages is absolutely bad on every conceivable level.

A society that calls normal sexual urges "frivolous" is another matter, but yeah.. Anyway, normal people have fights, and fights can escalate. Badly. If you can't see that happening, I'd say you need more experience :p

@nym_ you don't get it, I'm saying that "dysfunctional" IS the norm. Married or not, doesn't matter. People are awful at being honest with themselves about their feelings, awful at being honest about them towards others, awful at communicating, and so on. The divorce rates are pushing 50% in many countries and in some countries they are significantly over 50%, which absolutely fits the picture I have of the average person, who doesn't have the skills to permanently keep a relationship healthy and fulfilling. You say that marriage brings all these benefits, but that's really just empty talk. None of the things you listed are exclusive to marriage or inherent qualities of marriage.

I'm not opposed to marriage. I'm opposed to the idea that marriage is some sort of ideal that improves relationships and makes them safer, or a "sanctuary" as you said. Because that's not true. Millions of people are stuck in shitty marriages and can't end them because their minds are poisoned by these aforementioned ideas. As always, it's best to stay realistic. Equating marriage with love isn't romantic, it's dangerous. At the end of the day, a marriage is a communion of two people, and at the end of the day little stops these two people from being awful to each other.

Oct 5, 2019 4:18 AM

Feb 2019
nym_ said:

there are many profits from marriage. first, the surety feeling. you don't fall to guessing things or suspicious of your partner behavior when you're not around.
When one marries, does one suddenly stop being jealous? I seriously can't see from where you concluded that there's no jealousy or insecurity in marriages. If someone is jealous, controlling or insecure, it won't be a piece of paper that will stop them from being so.

And as Railey said, the things you listed as profits of marriage aren't exclusive to marriage, or even guaranteed to happen in marriages.
Oct 5, 2019 4:22 AM
May 2018
I see it as lot of problems finally being solved.
Oct 5, 2019 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
Kosmonaut said:
nym_ said:

there are many profits from marriage. first, the surety feeling. you don't fall to guessing things or suspicious of your partner behavior when you're not around.
When one marries, does one suddenly stop being jealous? I seriously can't see from where you concluded that there's no jealousy or insecurity in marriages. If someone is jealous, controlling or insecure, it won't be a piece of paper that will stop them from being so.
yes, you magically become better because marriage is a sanctuary.

Thats how it works. Totally not a dangerous idea to have in your head at all, brb teaching this to my daughter.

Oct 5, 2019 4:28 AM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
A society that keeps people trapped in marriages is absolutely bad on every conceivable level.

A society that calls normal sexual urges "frivolous" is another matter, but yeah.. Anyway, normal people have fights, and fights can escalate. Badly. If you can't see that happening, I'd say you need more experience :p
Only one thing is to be said: if you wish to conform from the beginning, might as well conform till the end.

These are not particularly the saying of any society. This is what I'm saying. Sexual gratification is frivolous as in if you allow it to hinder your life and control you, then you are a slave to your superfluity, i.e, if you leave your wife and kids just because you aren't satisfied by the outcomes of your own doings is wrong.
Oct 5, 2019 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:
Railey2 said:

Only one thing is to be said: if you wish to conform from the beginning, might as well conform till the end.

These are not particularly the saying of any society. This is what I'm saying. Sexual gratification is frivolous as in if you allow it to hinder your life and control you, then you are a slave to your superfluity, i.e, if you leave your wife and kids just because you aren't satisfied by the outcomes of your own doings is wrong.
bro, circumstances can change, especially with something as complicated as a relationship. It's fine to change your mind, whats the point in forcing yourself to be with someone you dislike until you die of old age? "because you might as well"? rip rip rip

Also don't think you can pull a quick one on me here, you called two normal people growing apart and pursuing other sexual interests "frivolous". Never did you mention children.
I agree that stable relationships are better, and that you should definitely put the work to make it last, but man just calling it all frivolous is a bit much don't you think? There are many reasons why someone could choose to exit a relationship/marriage, and not all of them are frivolous. What's frivolous is when you're doing it behind someones back.

And yeah, sexual gratification is just a normal biologically programmed bodily function. Just be responsible about it and you're golden.

Oct 5, 2019 4:41 AM

Mar 2014
Railey2 said:
Yarub said:

@nym_ you don't get it, I'm saying that "dysfunctional" IS the norm. Married or not, doesn't matter. People are awful at being honest with themselves about their feelings, awful at being honest about them towards others, awful at communicating, and so on. The divorce rates are pushing 50% in many countries and in some countries they are significantly over 50%, which absolutely fits the picture I have of the average person, who doesn't have the skills to permanently keep a relationship healthy and fulfilling. You say that marriage brings all these benefits, but that's really just empty talk. None of the things you listed are exclusive to marriage or inherent qualities of marriage.

I'm not opposed to marriage. I'm opposed to the idea that marriage is some sort of ideal that improves relationships and makes them safer, or a "sanctuary" as you said. Because that's not true. Millions of people are stuck in shitty marriages and can't end them because their minds are poisoned by these aforementioned ideas. As always, it's best to stay realistic. Equating marriage with love isn't romantic, it's dangerous. At the end of the day, a marriage is a communion of two people, and at the end of the day little stops these two people from being awful to each other.
so you're saying that because the people, the humans itself are so incompetent at communicating their feeling to each other, because we are so bad at understanding other's feeling, so the marriage idea should be abandoned? if so, then it's a misplaced blame. marriage is a means, not destination. how could you blame the tool for a human error accident?

but it does, in a realistic way, improve your relationship and make the party involved feel safer than the one with non-married relationship. again, you can't blame the marriage for a person's weakness. and that's also why i said, a couple who want to marry should consult to their close friends or family first as a "safety belt" about their decision. this is one thing often neglected nowadays and that's why many marriages today ended in divorce cuz they married based on "lust" and status of "married", not "love".

i didn't equating marriage with love but love is required for a marriage to be an everlasting one. that's why, both party have to think throughfully before taking this move on their relationship.
Oct 5, 2019 4:47 AM

Jul 2015
I don't think my words are reaching you Nym but thats okay.

Your opinion is changing faster than I can keep up with anyway, first marriage was a sanctuary that you said would bring inherent benefits with it, now it's only a tool.

We'll figure it out someday, I'm sure.

Oct 5, 2019 4:50 AM

Mar 2014
Kosmonaut said:
nym_ said:

And as Railey said, the things you listed as profits of marriage aren't exclusive to marriage, or even guaranteed to happen in marriages.
one doesn't "suddenly" stop being jealous, the jealousy become less destructive and less violent than when you're unmarried. about insecure feeling, i had answered it before. if your marriage based on love, not some hidden treacherous intention like wealth or popularity, then "love should conform things".
Oct 5, 2019 4:57 AM

Mar 2018
nym_ said:
Kosmonaut said:

one doesn't "suddenly" stop being jealous, the jealousy become less destructive and less violent than when you're unmarried. about insecure feeling, i had answered it before.
I disagree. Mariage is naught but a placebo effect for this.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 5, 2019 4:57 AM

Nov 2016
i'm getting triggered by growing acceptance of gay marriage because now I feel obliged to meet such commitments ahahaha.

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
Oct 5, 2019 4:58 AM

Aug 2012
Railey2 said:
bro, circumstances can change, especially with something as complicated as a relationship. It's fine to change your mind, whats the point in forcing yourself to be with someone you dislike until you die of old age? "because you might as well"? rip rip rip

Also don't think you can pull a quick one on me here, you called two normal people growing apart and pursuing other sexual interests "frivolous". Never did you mention children.
I agree that stable relationships are better, and that you should definitely put the work to make it last, but man just calling it all frivolous is a bit much don't you think? There are many reasons why someone could choose to exit a relationship/marriage, and not all of them are frivolous. What's frivolous is when you're doing it behind someones back.

And yeah, sexual gratification is just a normal biologically programmed bodily function. Just be responsible about it and you're golden.
That isn't my point. In my first post, I said "The ones in the wrong are those who continue living with the false belief that "everything will be better" and keep complaining about how their life sucks." as in a purely individually driven thought process, but since you brought societal pressure into the equation, I brushed it off with: if you bothered once, you can bother all the time. Circumstances can change, but society stays pretty much the same in a lifetime.

If you grow apart in mutual agreement to disagree, then it's fine. You argued that most people don't, which is why I replied with the frivolous nature. X and Y can only grow apart if one is melodramatic or the other is a lustful person. If you choose to marry each other, and things go normally, then what even is the nature of the divorce? Certainly nothing normal, if it happens.

Touche to that.

One can touch oneself as a measure of precaution if he be weak-willed enough to cause unnecessary drama by marrying mindlessly. Or just hire a prostitute. Or just don't marry at all.
Oct 5, 2019 5:03 AM

Mar 2014
Railey2 said:
I don't think my words are reaching you Nym but thats okay.

Your opinion is changing faster than I can keep up with anyway, first marriage was a sanctuary that you said would bring inherent benefits with it, now it's only a tool.

We'll figure it out someday, I'm sure.
please read my first post.

i said, "the marriage is like a sanctuary, where one can be true to their partner. a place where there is nothing hidden for the people inside."

what do you feel if there is a place where you can be true? a place where you don't have to put up fronts and masking all your motives? you'll feel calm and comfortable whenever you're in that place right? and by being in that place make you happy being you. you don't have to seek acceptance or attention from another place anymore, cuz that one place has already accept you for what you are and give you all the attention you need. so this can also be seen this sanctuary is a tool to make you happy.

well, of course we will :)
Oct 5, 2019 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
Yarub said:
Railey2 said:

That isn't my point. In my first post, I said "The ones in the wrong are those who continue living with the false belief that "everything will be better" and keep complaining about how their life sucks." as in a purely individually driven thought process, but since you brought societal pressure into the equation, I brushed it off with: if you bothered once, you can bother all the time. Circumstances can change, but society stays pretty much the same in a lifetime.

If you grow apart in mutual agreement to disagree, then it's fine. You argued that most people don't, which is why I replied with the frivolous nature. X and Y can only grow apart if one is melodramatic or the other is a lustful person. If you choose to marry each other, and things go normally, then what even is the nature of the divorce? Certainly nothing normal, if it happens.

Touche to that.

One can touch oneself as a measure of precaution if he be weak-willed enough to cause unnecessary drama by marrying mindlessly. Or just hire a prostitute. Or just don't marry at all.
If you think that marriages in which one partner cheats are happy and just "got destroyed" by the cheater, you're REALLY off. Usually these marriages are broken to begin with and cheating is the final nail in the coffin, but yeah.

Like what sort of simplistic model is this, the only two ways for people to grow apart are melodrama and lust, if you keep those two out your marriage will be fine? Where did you get that idea, the Quran? I can think of like 10 other reasons why people grow apart, you can do better than this.

And yeah, societal pressure keeping people stuck in dysfunctional marriages sucks. Sure you COULD suck it up for all of your life, but I'm saying that this is a bad thing, and every factor that pushes you towards that is likewise bad.

Also the last thing you said was pretty funny. "One can touch oneself as a measure of precaution". The way you said that was N i c e, gonna pin that one on my wall

lets play some Apex I'm bored. They got a new map go check it out

Oct 5, 2019 5:13 AM
Aug 2016
The real problem here is why people still use ''desu'' after something they say. Am I the only one who finds that super cringy?
Oct 5, 2019 6:08 AM

Oct 2018
My mother actually got divorced 5 times, it saddens me to be told by her that after all that she never claimed not one of my father's many rich properties out of spite for him. I suppose she really felt something..It also taught me a lot of values later on such as don't do things expecting to gain back earnings from it all the time and what not. I had no idea that you can nowadays get divorced even if one partner is absent so long as a required amount of time has passed and you show that you've been legaly been living alone such as having bills only under your name etc desu.~☆

Edit: I scrolled up to see your post after I typed up this paragraph @Kuroko-chan and my answer is that (I use it as a love tribute to Japan's lovely language imo) it's a nack of habbit, at least this whole desu thing has gotten bigger cause of me using it within this site, gomenasai desu ne.~☆♡
L0LlOct 5, 2019 6:16 AM

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Oct 5, 2019 7:29 AM

May 2017
Kuroko-chan said:
The real problem here is why people still use ''desu'' after something they say. Am I the only one who finds that super cringy?

You're definitely not the only one who cringes at that.
Oct 5, 2019 7:34 AM

May 2017
I personally don't really enjoy the thought of getting married, it's just not my thing. I don't believe love needs to be "official" to confirm that you want to stay with someone the rest of your life. As long as me and my significant other trust and know we truly love each other that's enough for me, I don't feel traded vows are necessary.

Plus divorce is a hassle, just talking it out and breaking up is a much easier feat.
Oct 5, 2019 7:53 AM

Oct 2018
My parents got divorced when I was 6, so I have a lot of mixed feelings on the matter of marriage and divorce. I don't personally see myself getting married (at least in the near future) but who knows what will happen.
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Oct 5, 2019 8:06 AM

Nov 2017
Personally, I'd be fine either way when it comes to me getting married
Oct 5, 2019 9:55 AM

Jun 2013
I would love to get married. For me it's to make it official and to get one unit. Sounds kinda dumb, but it brings more benefits in my eyes. Especially in a financial perspective. As a married couple in Germany you can save some euro in taxes.

Besides all the legal stuff it's for me important cause you promised to spend the rest of your life with your significant other. I mean, I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 8 years now. It really works well, we are moving in our first flat together and even have plans for getting children. Why not make it permanent to be together? And it would be way better for our kid, both our family names are pretty long.
Oct 5, 2019 10:05 AM
Feb 2017
I think marriage is meant for those who are emotionally ready and not just in it because “muh feelings”. That’s why I see people who divorce as weak and stupid for not thinking of the implications that might ensue. Not counting situations where adultery occurs, because in that case the person is an ungrateful waste of time.
Oct 5, 2019 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
nym_ said:
2. i say it again, "love should conform things". if a love lose to enmities, then it's not love, it's "lust". people that get married just to save their relationship are just desperate people.

So, if you get divorced after a few years, it's still just "lust"? Come on, that's just pink glasses you wear there.

Railey2 said:

This, although I don't think a certain amount of being dsyfunctional isn't a problem or bad. It's just normal and the reality.
The not so normal ideal is that two people meet and everything will work out fine without any complicated situations and some dsyfunctional behaviors. That's more like a bedtime romance for kids.
Also the idea that "back then" everything had been better and idealistic, although it was hell for many in reality.
Oct 5, 2019 11:39 AM

Mar 2014
Maneki-Mew said:
nym_ said:

So, if you get divorced after a few years, it's still just "lust"? Come on, that's just pink glasses you wear there.
you meant if there's still a feeling left between the two after divorced is this feeling a lust or what? i don't understand.

i criticized the people who often blames marriage for a failure marriage which is a hypocrisy. this no different with you blaming the car you're driving when your car crashed into the wall. what do you think if i say, "conversation is bad and shouldn't happen cuz talking to others might lead to different opinions and conflict might rise up from having such differences." you might think me hypocrite, right? cuz i blame conversation for causing something that the conversation itself doesn't have any control about it, which is the output/end result of conversation. the result vary between people. some conversation may lead to conflict and some others lead to cooperation. the same thing with marriage.

you can't say marriage is bad cuz you see many failure marriages around you. you have to learn about the marriage itself, what's the marriage or why it was "invented" by people and for what reason. what thing people want to get from their marriage? now after you understand the reason why such thing was "created", "socially constructed", "invented" (or any term you want to use) in the past, then you have to see to those failure marriages around you and compare it to get an answer.

but you're too lazy to do that, right? you accept things in society based on your society perspective. so, no matter how good a thing is, if people around you says it's bad thing, you wouldn't do it cuz you maybe afraid you might be excluded as a part of society if you do something bad in your society.

look, i can understand if you use argument, "the reality on my society today, there are more failure marriages than the successful ones." but this argument doesn't explicitly means marriage is a failure. cuz like i said, marriage itself is like a sanctuary, a place. what you two want to make the place to be, a bad one, a good one, it all depend on you two. and if the place turn out to be a bad place, you have to introspect yourself, not blaming the place for turning into something bad. cuz you yourself are the one who's responsible to design the place yourself.

that's why i said this here again, before getting married, the couple should consult to their close friends or family first about each partner. to observe things from neutral and logical side, to know whether your partner really love you or not. cuz your eyes and mind might be blinded by your love for your partner that's why a third party perspective is necessary in this matter.
Oct 5, 2019 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
civil union is enough if you just want to get the legal benefits of marriage without the religious and expensive wedding ceremonies

divorce is like high right now last time i check the news and one of the factors for divorce is financial problems (due to bad world economy) so be sure to be financially stable first before going to marriage
Oct 5, 2019 11:55 AM

Dec 2016
In the US the benefits are very low compared to the risks.

Some new data about divorce and non-marital breakups contains an unexpected finding, and I think it underscores the fact that we're in the midst of an ongoing evolution in what people want and seek in their romantic relationships. The study, based on a survey of over 2000 heterosexual couples, found that women initiated nearly 70 percent of all divorces. Yet there was no significant difference between the percentage of breakups initiated by women and men in non-marriage relationships.

How to explain the data? I find that these data are consistent with what I and others have seen clinically. When men and women seek couples therapy and then subsequently divorce; or, when either partner seeks individual therapy about a marriage conflict that ends in divorce, it’s often the woman who expresses more overt conflict and dissatisfaction about the state of the marriage. On the other hand, the man is more likely to report feeling troubled by his wife’s dissatisfaction, but pretty much “OK” with the way things are; he's content to just lope along as time passes.

In contrast, I find that younger couples—who are more likely to form non-marital but committed relationships—experience more egalitarian partnerships to begin with. When their relationships crumble beyond repair, both partners experience that disintegration. Both are equally likely to address it; and part, if it can’t be healed.

These clinical observations are consistent with what the study’s lead author, Michael Rosenfeld, suggests: that women may be more likely to initiate divorces because the married women reported lower levels of relationship quality than married men. In contrast, women and men in non-marital relationships reported equal levels of relationship quality. Rosenfeld said his results support the feminist assertion that some women experience heterosexual marriage as oppressive or uncomfortable.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-new-resilience/201508/women-initiate-divorce-much-more-men-heres-why

Abstaining from marriage as the societal bludgeon and financial resource redistribution tool that it is, is however no excuse to abandon and not provide support for your offspring.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

9 by Meusnier »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

18 by UncreatedSong »»
26 minutes ago

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - Yesterday

17 by Lucifrost »»
49 minutes ago

» do you like the fandom of your fave musical artists ??

ame - Apr 17

14 by Zayvex »»
53 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 7 hours ago

22 by Zayvex »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.