Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2019 5:44 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

---
Vimeo (Gendai): https://vimeo.com/137440671 /
Vimeo (Yoshiko Misumi): https://vimeo.com/58616639
---
A really cute short. It was fun seeing that Taku Furukawa voiced the grandfather.
Oct 22, 2019 5:20 PM

Oct 2015
I felt that daughter/grandfather relationship wasn't that innocent at all, a bit unsettling if you ask me.

But I liked the art though, truly magical.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 10, 2020 11:58 AM

Apr 2019
To be accessible, abstract, artistic, entertaining and moving at the same time is hard. This short manages it. Fantastic student project from 2010. Story about a girl, her grandpa, fantasy, love, and death. An absolutely brilliant and beautiful short.

lihle808 said:
I felt that daughter/grandfather relationship wasn't that innocent at all, a bit unsettling if you ask me.
Trust an old geezer like myself, at some age you stop thinking of stuff like you imply. When my sister's kids behaved similarily, I was flabbergasted and had pedo-noia. I overcame that impulse, why allow my unfounded fears spoil the fun a kid has. And as you easily see, that grandpa is aroused to the point he falls asleep. Don't be overly uptight, lol.

Jan 19, 2020 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
I know I shouldn't care but the rating just baffles me. How does everyone here have such little appreciation for this?
Jan 20, 2020 11:49 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
HungryForQuality said:
I know I shouldn't care but the rating just baffles me. How does everyone here have such little appreciation for this?

Unfortunately, all shorts in the database are ranked low. Is it really fair to score an 8-minute independent short film against a big-budget TV series made by a team of professionals? I don't think so, but unless more people choose to score works as representatives of their medium, everything with a short duration will be automatically be placed lower. TV series with a <6.00 rating are rare to come across; for shorts, this is all too often commonplace.

It's also likely that people watching these shorts have had more exposure to the industry and are therefore more critical with their ratings across the board. This is why the mainstream music videos and series-related shorts have comparatively higher ratings, regardless if there is any noteworthy animation (that, and some people choose to rate entirely based on the music).

[/rant]
Jan 20, 2020 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
Kwanthemaster said:
HungryForQuality said:

Unfortunately, all shorts in the database are ranked low. Is it really fair to score an 8-minute independent short film against a big-budget TV series made by a team of professionals? I don't think so, but unless more people choose to score works as representatives of their medium, everything with a short duration will be automatically be placed lower. TV series with a <6.00 rating are rare to come across; for shorts, this is all too often commonplace.

It's also likely that people watching these shorts have had more exposure to the industry and are therefore more critical with their ratings across the board. This is why the mainstream music videos and series-related shorts have comparatively higher ratings, regardless if there is any noteworthy animation (that, and some people choose to rate entirely based on the music).

[/rant]

I understand the apprehension about not rating shorts the same as full length series or movies but I mean isn't this at least above average as a 6? I can't really get why someone can watch this and give it a 5 or less unless they just don't like surrealism. There is something special this short brings compared to many many other shorts.

I guess that's my rant. I do understand why it's like this to a certain extent but it's still a little baffling. This is how I felt about the music short Timeless too. That one was less surreal but I thought beautiful in how it showed the passage of time with its visuals and lyrics.
Jan 20, 2022 7:37 AM

Jul 2019
That's a pretty good movie. I liked the animation style and it helps draw that almost sleepy but comfy colourful world that was really trying to come to light here. Good stuff overall.
Feb 16, 2022 12:19 PM

Feb 2020
That was something different.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.