Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 3, 2019 4:48 PM

Mar 2019
It started good ... hopefully it stays the same way
Oct 3, 2019 5:54 PM

Nov 2009
That was interesting.

Cute and funny girls.

And learning about European boardgames... never even know these existed, LOL

___ ___ ___

BTW, I think the twintailed girl is still in noPan mode the entire episode... and no one else noticed
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Oct 3, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2011
while it's nothing amazing it was cute and nice to see a club anime based around board games , i know you can count lion and saki and what not as board games anime's but i mean more in the sense of hey were gonna sit down and role play this new game kind of stuff.

it's neat since they look like actual games so fans might notice some
Oct 3, 2019 8:26 PM

Dec 2018
live posting:

oh no, another vaguely-autistic MC, unsure of what's fun and not wanting to find out by themselves

hello new girl... annd she's already stripping. glad it isn't a male MC

her hair is super weird too. Like she split her twin tails in half and have one half of each of them over her shoulders? that would just cause a lot of readjustment in real life...

pfft, that bumper of the manager at a host club

geez, she's really just crying over not knowing how to play?

grabbing onto her arm in the middle of a crossroad? o no

the aesthetics in the ED is so weird...

oh wow, even the boy have side-eyelashes in this style, huh?
~~
not sure what to think of this anime yet, might watch a few more episodes. I usually wind up dragging myself through "cute girls doing cute things" animes, anyway
Oct 3, 2019 10:00 PM

Oct 2012
Board games are my first hobby so hyped about this show. While not amazing it was enjoyable.
Oct 4, 2019 4:20 AM

Jul 2017
@Gabisu Man, is it very obvious to see that the original character design wasn't taken well to context.

What's important for this first episode is to setup the characters, but same as per the manga, it is set-up this way, and I don't think that anyone will enjoy a tad bit of Iyashikei, if it exists in the same reigns as Yuru Camp (or rather, it didn't felt that way).

It will feel boring (and which to say I did get it), but I think this pilot episode was fine, nothing remarkable. Good on you Liden Films, finally you got your substance back.
Oct 4, 2019 4:49 AM
Sep 2019
Pretty good start. It's cute and it will be cool to see them play more board games
Oct 4, 2019 5:31 AM

May 2015
Pretty cute. I'm not impressed with the characters yet but I'll watch for the games, this could be interesting and maybe it'll help discover something I can potentially play at myself.
Oct 4, 2019 5:39 AM

Oct 2010
Looks cute and the kind of show I will grow to love, but it was not a very good start. The jokes didn't land very well and I'm still not used to the characters, not enough to find them endearing regardless. Still, slow starts are not rare in slice of life shows, so I'm in.
Oct 4, 2019 12:37 PM

Jan 2008
I'm only watching it for the board games, since I'm a huge fan.

I hope to see some of my favorite ones being played.
Oct 4, 2019 1:29 PM
Jun 2015
KANLen09 said:
@Gabisu Man, is it very obvious to see that the original character design wasn't taken well to context.

What's important for this first episode is to setup the characters, but same as per the manga, it is set-up this way, and I don't think that anyone will enjoy a tad bit of Iyashikei, if it exists in the same reigns as Yuru Camp (or rather, it didn't felt that way).

It will feel boring (and which to say I did get it), but I think this pilot episode was fine, nothing remarkable. Good on you Liden Films, finally you got your substance back.

The feeling is the same, but honestly the girls look so badly characterized, now in a moment of happiness will be the same studip moe (not that I do not like it, but I accept Moe when he is sincere since he was created, here was a disrespect for the author's trait) and it distances me from these characters compared to the manga
Oct 4, 2019 1:39 PM

Jan 2009
Pretty basic CGDCT, but I'm all for board games. So yay!
Oct 4, 2019 4:31 PM

Jul 2019
Pretty generic copypaste slice-of-life school girl light comedy anime. Basically the K-ON template, except this time instead of 軽音楽 it's board games. So far none of the characters have really any sort of personality and the gimmick (board games) isn't enough to really redeem it much (although it could be interesting). It's just not very good.
Oct 4, 2019 6:46 PM

Jan 2016
This was a pretty cute first episode.
Oct 4, 2019 11:05 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
They should play monopoly for the last ep so it ends on a table flip.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Oct 5, 2019 7:35 AM

Aug 2018
I spent more time looking at all of the different board games than I did actually watching what was going on! I can't wait to see what more games they play throughout future episodes, and how they will help Miki develop her interpersonal relationships with her classmates. 1st episode was Moroccan Monopoly, looking forward to what we get to see them play next.
Oct 5, 2019 7:38 AM

Jun 2013
that was kinda boring
Oct 5, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2018
I really liked it! All the girls are so cute and have K-ON! vibes :)
Oct 5, 2019 4:57 PM

Oct 2008
Analog board games huh...why not!?
3/5.

Oct 5, 2019 11:35 PM
Feb 2015
Leo said:
It seems like a cute show. I'm liking the characters so far.

I would love to see what type of board games they will play in future episodes.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/257673/board-games-featured-hkago-saikoro-club?fbclid=IwAR3-ZEXAQks68REsCSMC_E9Tuk4E-U7W-DNsy9q_JXZ9jYENw10aP68Oa5s

Here's a link of the featured board games from the manga.
Oct 6, 2019 4:57 AM

Aug 2018
Board games are always good to play with others, even if our current society tends to prefer video games or electronic entertainement (my case, my case...). But still, it is always refreshing to learn & play these types of games !
Oct 6, 2019 7:29 AM

Nov 2014
That was ok, I guess? Nothing special but will work as a time filler.
Oct 6, 2019 7:39 PM

Oct 2017
CHC said:
I'm interested in the subject matter but the execution of this show irritates me a lot. Again, we have the trite and generic pair of an energetic airhead and a timid shy. But unlike Yuru Camp (which was great), the shy one is completely devoid of positive personality. It is designed to be a pathetic person who doesn't have her own world so that the show can push her around to do anything it wants her to get involved into as a self-insert placeholder for the viewer.

Seriously, I'm not exactly shy myself but I did spend a lot of time alone during high school, because I know how to discover my own world through books and internet. An introvert is not necessarily an empty person who is just waiting something to happen to her. That completely bland introvert trope in anime has to end. Burst into tears just because you're losing in a game you hardly even cared just a minute ago? That's not shy. That's simply pathetic. I know people who has no life exist, but they're not interesting people and there are much more interesting stories can be told about other type of interesting people.

Also, I don't like how preachy the show is. Who needs to be told that you may discover new things if you take risk and be adventurous? I would be much more sympathetic to the heroine if she were 6 years old instead of 16 yo. How about showing us some more strategic gameplay rather than some cheesy moral lessons?

I agree the main pair didn't have much character. And doing a long cliche sequence like they did here with them "losing themselves" was forced and just ineffective. But I'm kind of hoping that was just a throwaway bit at the start to try and get some quick bonding between the main pair. When they entered the club and started playing the game this really worked for me. There's a really solid cozy factor this show could pull off if it focuses on a group of friends palying board games and does it well. Hell, if the author really has skill, then he'll tell stories about the characters and develop them through playing the board games.

There's huge potential here. So while I think your criticisms are fair, I'd be more optimistic.

I have to disagree with your complaint about the hopelessly shy characters though. It's an exagerration done for effect. I wasn't even particularly shy in school and even I can relate to chracters like that. I think it's unfair to compare them to 6 year olds. Some people are sensitive and we should be empathetic towards them... when they're girls. To be honest I can't stand male characters like that lol... probably some kind of ingrained sexism that sees girls as children but I don't really know and I don't care.

[EDIT: 6/10 first ep from me btw - cozy feel and the potential for something original form the premise gets me somewhat excited]
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Oct 7, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2009
I'm only watching this for the board games really.
As it is one of my favorite hobbies I just want them to play the boardgames I know and maybe get to know about some of the newer ones. lmao
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 7, 2019 5:37 AM

Nov 2013
I love board games. But this is just a very mediocre start.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 7, 2019 6:37 AM
Jan 2019
I expected more comedy, but not bad. I love board games. I used to go to play every weekend with my cousins ​​and friends, I still do it from time to time. At first I thought that board games were not so exciting, but when I started playing I changed my mind quickly. This anime will bring me memories. Another one to the list 😁.

If you don't risk, you don't win xD
Oct 8, 2019 12:31 AM

Sep 2017
YossaRedMage said:
CHC said:
I'm interested in the subject matter but the execution of this show irritates me a lot. Again, we have the trite and generic pair of an energetic airhead and a timid shy. But unlike Yuru Camp (which was great), the shy one is completely devoid of positive personality. It is designed to be a pathetic person who doesn't have her own world so that the show can push her around to do anything it wants her to get involved into as a self-insert placeholder for the viewer.

Seriously, I'm not exactly shy myself but I did spend a lot of time alone during high school, because I know how to discover my own world through books and internet. An introvert is not necessarily an empty person who is just waiting something to happen to her. That completely bland introvert trope in anime has to end. Burst into tears just because you're losing in a game you hardly even cared just a minute ago? That's not shy. That's simply pathetic. I know people who has no life exist, but they're not interesting people and there are much more interesting stories can be told about other type of interesting people.

Also, I don't like how preachy the show is. Who needs to be told that you may discover new things if you take risk and be adventurous? I would be much more sympathetic to the heroine if she were 6 years old instead of 16 yo. How about showing us some more strategic gameplay rather than some cheesy moral lessons?

I agree the main pair didn't have much character. And doing a long cliche sequence like they did here with them "losing themselves" was forced and just ineffective. But I'm kind of hoping that was just a throwaway bit at the start to try and get some quick bonding between the main pair. When they entered the club and started playing the game this really worked for me. There's a really solid cozy factor this show could pull off if it focuses on a group of friends palying board games and does it well. Hell, if the author really has skill, then he'll tell stories about the characters and develop them through playing the board games.

There's huge potential here. So while I think your criticisms are fair, I'd be more optimistic.

I have to disagree with your complaint about the hopelessly shy characters though. It's an exagerration done for effect. I wasn't even particularly shy in school and even I can relate to chracters like that. I think it's unfair to compare them to 6 year olds. Some people are sensitive and we should be empathetic towards them... when they're girls. To be honest I can't stand male characters like that lol... probably some kind of ingrained sexism that sees girls as children but I don't really know and I don't care.

[EDIT: 6/10 first ep from me btw - cozy feel and the potential for something original form the premise gets me somewhat excited]

Yeah, if it turns out to be more strategy/comedy-focused rather than forcing some exaggerated emotions, I guess I may come back to this show because a cozy cute girl show about board game seems to be a pretty nice concept for me.

I guess I would have more empathy with the main girl if she was shy in a unique way. I'm irritated by this anime trope mostly because it is an easy set up for character growth: she will make friends, she will open up, she will overcome fear and past traumas etc. It's always the same with this kind of anime. On the other hand, I actually enjoyed WataMote because even though the main girl is extremely shy, she is shy in a unique way and she does a lot of interesting things because of her shyness, instead of using shyness as an excuse for a completely bland personality. Whereas I can only see the main girl of this show as a cheap narrative device.
Oct 8, 2019 5:25 AM
May 2016
Me as soon as Manager started speaking.

"Hang on, I know that voice..."

https://youtu.be/envC-DZpp3s?t=8s
Oct 8, 2019 12:17 PM

Jul 2016
Uhm... this might be just me but I'm a bit curious about why they made emphasis on Aya not wearing panties just for it to be ignored in the end. I mean, why bother in the first place?

Anyways, OK start for this anime. Both Miki and Aya seem to be decent characters but honestly, Ono and the Manager were the highlight of this first episode if you ask me.
Things being said, I wasn't expecting Miki to be this fearful and shy. I found her personality more annoying that cute but hopefully, after this episode, she will stop being so pessimistic about "having fun" and start developing a better relationship with the rest of her classmates.
Oct 9, 2019 12:29 AM
Mar 2012
Is that twintail actually a quadtail?
Can relate to Miki, but slightly weak & annoying as main mc.
Sol with minimal comedy so far, not sure what show wants to be yet. Not too interested in that topic and they barely showed the board so we can't really follow the game.
Oct 9, 2019 3:16 PM

Jun 2013
so boring i struggled to even finish
Oct 12, 2019 4:59 AM

Oct 2007
entertained by the first episode. This is the first time I saw a rug selling board game. :)
Oct 14, 2019 3:42 AM

Dec 2010
As someone who still plays board games, this anime hits home so much.
Especially since I know some of the games that they showed this episode esp. CODENAMES!!
I hope they show a game that I know how to play.

The manager reminds me of that Russian Sushi guy at Durarara lol.

Really nice episode.
Oct 20, 2019 4:07 AM

Jun 2013
It was a really nice start. I was super irriteaded when I saw the german title.
I love the character combo, even tho its a set pair for almost everykind of anime if this kind. And the manger ha a D.Va like personalty, I play to win. He's funny tho.
Oct 20, 2019 4:59 AM

Jun 2013
Umibozu (City Hunter), is you?
Oct 28, 2019 7:02 PM

Sep 2017
good first episode!
Nov 10, 2019 4:57 PM
Jan 2017
To be honest, I wasn't that interested in this show back when it was first announced but after a few weeks, I decided to give it a chance and I gotta say, I was a bit impressed by the character dynamics and the game scenes. I really liked the chemistry between the main girls, and Marika Kouno delivered an amazing performance as the bright and cheerful Aya. I'm not the biggest fan of tabletop games, but I did find the game scene fairly entertaining. It was easy to understand and I liked that the girls had fun playing it. Afterschool Dice Club is off to a good start, and if it can avoid making the tabletop game aspect too complicated, or at least take steps to make it more accessible to casual viewers, then it might become one of the finest shows in the season.
Dec 13, 2019 9:05 PM

Oct 2010
I love the opening of this anime, it has a nice tune to it.

I love a typical SoL anime so ill continue to watch this :)
Apr 13, 2020 8:48 AM

Jul 2015
Slice of life serie about schoolgirls playing boardgames, doesn't sound very interesting on paper but maybe enjoyable to watch

Aug 26, 2020 11:00 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing really stands out, but I enjoyed it.
Apr 3, 2021 5:21 PM

Mar 2016
I'm falling in love with Aya. Rather than cute, the character designs are rather beautiful, especially her. Seems like a fluffy, cozy show with a competitive yet playful dynamic.
Sep 6, 2021 9:15 PM

May 2021
Pretty good first episode.
Jul 2, 2022 3:16 AM

Aug 2018
Main heroine Miki is quite not relating to others, it seems.. Also not shares interests with usual things.. Well, I can relate partially.. I don't like karaoke myself, really.. Though, in my place it's not a common thing.. But common some other activities I don't enjoy myself..
But there are other activities, yeah.. Other interesting things.. ;P
I haven't played this game.. But anime made this time fun, I think.. ;P
Overall, enjoyable first episode.. But also no idea, how anime will be next.. As it'll be anime about games, maybe?.. Probably will depend on how they'll manage to show games.. Or not sure.. Either way, will see.. ;P
Oct 14, 2022 1:57 PM

Nov 2013
"If you don't have a destination, you can't get lost" That's on par with "to be poisoned, you have to find poison".

It's interesting to see German board games in anime. Good start overall.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 24, 2023 3:56 PM

Dec 2022
A good first episode. Didn't even know there was an anime about this topic
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Sep 4, 2023 5:56 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Oh man, it feels good to be watching this show again. I watched this one weekly back in Fall 2019, but this was before I started doing MAL posts so you won’t find me from back then lol, very good times tho, i remember I’d come home from college classes and one of the first things I’d do is watch the newest episode of this show and “Cautious Hero” because they were on the same day, this is the first time I’ve watched it since then and it’s still a damn good time.

I always loved learning about board games in this anime and seeing them in action, the game they played at the end of this one called “Marrakech” was an interesting one and I love how intense they made the final moves of the game with the music and atmosphere lol, it also reminds me of a Crosby, Stills and Nash song called “Marrakesh Express” but that might be a different thing based on spelling, great song tho. And of course I love the girls, Miki, Aya and Midori, they’re a fun group of gals if my memory serves me correctly and so far they have been, I especially loved Aya’s little universal truth about not being lost if you have no goal, I feel like that can be used in more than just having fun or going places, also she went commando for pretty much the whole episode which you kinda forget about lol.

And the OP and ED are damn good, I have revisited them since I first watched the show because I really love them, the OP is especially catchy and the VAs singing the ED is very nice. This is sure to be a great rewatch!
TheColonel76Sep 4, 2023 6:00 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2019

67 by alexw1020 »»
Apr 3, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2019

74 by alexw1020 »»
Mar 13, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

31 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 25, 2023 4:46 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2019

47 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 24, 2023 2:42 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

43 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 19, 2023 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.