Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Ahiru no Sora Episode 1 Discussion


Oct 4, 2019 8:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4121
Finally a decent basketball anime after decades. XD
 
Oct 4, 2019 9:27 AM

Online
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 1618
Looks great so far!

I like the unusual cast of characters, it'll be interesting to see how they'll get motivated after all and how this quandary will typically turn out into strong bonds of friendship, lol. Seriously though, I'm really glad there's a decent looking sports anime coming out this season.
 
Oct 4, 2019 9:40 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 26
A nice, cute first episode. KnB was my first sports anime and I’m looking forward to enjoying another basketball show. Chiaki is incredibly entertaining so far.
 
Oct 4, 2019 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1090
I hated it until towards the end, hopefully it gets better.
 
Oct 4, 2019 2:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 316
I like MC's determination.
"If it's about basketball, I can be equal to anyone"
He DOES feel insecure about his short stature, but he can speak through his basketball. Neat!
 
Oct 4, 2019 2:44 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 491
Pretty good start, looks like this will be a longer anime. The mc Kurumatani is like Hinata from Haikyuu who want to fly too even with the height it seems possible. This episode is full of bullying, glad Kurumatani got revenged and even defeated the girl's basketball idol Madoka. I will stop watching this, I will be back after 10 episdoes wa already aired.
 
Oct 4, 2019 3:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 250
As someone who isn't even into basketball and was expecting to drop this - colour me impressed. This was a great first episode and it really surprised me too.
 
Oct 4, 2019 8:02 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 314
Not a bad start! It gives me a feeling that the good kinds of sports anime give me, so I'll trust in it. Interesting how it's apparently going to be 4 cours too. Look forward to more.

I will admit that I keep getting this and Hoshiai no Sora mixed up considering they're both sports anime, both airing this season and they have very similar names lol.

๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ช๐“ถ๐“พ ๐”‚๐“พ๐“ถ๐“ฎ๐“ถ๐“ฒ
โ™ก haa, i'm super ill! on the outside, i might look crazy healthy, but the truth is i'm a late teenager with a heart of glass! filled with the desire to give up on school! that's me, riamu-chan!! if i become an idol, it'd be my chance to do that!? right!? โ™ก
 
Oct 4, 2019 8:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 2338
Quite decent start for an spokon. Nothing too innovative since it's, more or less, the same way how "Hinomaruzumou" started but that said, it was still quite entertaining overall.

So far, I'm really liking Sora's attitude and Chiaki seems to be an interesting guy as well. Really looking forward to see more of this pair and the rest of the cast.
 
Oct 4, 2019 8:49 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 7
I'm feeling that this anime will be awesome :3 exciting to next episode uhuhu
also laughed a lot when the big guy says "you must have fast reflexive" then he is hit by a mini hericopter xD
 
Oct 4, 2019 9:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12898
CHC said:
I mean, nothing is terribly executed in this episode, but how is it different from all the other shounen sport anime? I guess it's gonna be decent if it's your first few shounen sport, but it's hard to imagine you would enjoy it if you have already seen more than 10 other similar shows.
I've seen a lot of the available sports anime and is still excited for this one since I've read the manga. Granted, I am a huge basketball/NBA fan and always wanted something like that, not Slam Dunk / Kuroko no Basket. The art is also amazingly well drawn in the manga.

Boltz said:
I love this kind of "coming of age" stuff so I'm definitely looking forward to more of it!
I highly recommend Hikaru no Go if you like coming of age story!

Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
I guess I hype myself too much for this. Because what a boring episode that was.....only shown the premise, didn't even let Sora finish his show off at all.

I mean the basic story telling structure is having the pilot episodes be the introductory episodes.. there's not gonna be a lot of action until the real matches begin.. that's the point lol.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
 
Oct 4, 2019 10:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2275
@ToG15thBaam I know, I realize that in hindsight that's why I've said "I hyped myself too much"... I've actually heard so many good things about its manga by my cousin who is boasting of it that its better than Slamdunk.

But my first impression of course is as you may guess that it didn't give me that " better" context............."yet" perhaps?
 
Oct 5, 2019 12:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12898
Zaphkiel_El_Rem said:
@ToG15thBaam I know, I realize that in hindsight that's why I've said "I hyped myself too much"... I've actually heard so many good things about its manga by my cousin who is boasting of it that its better than Slamdunk.

But my first impression of course is as you may guess that it didn't give me that " better" context............."yet" perhaps?
Haha yea I get that too when I got hyped for a show.. I have not read the manga for Slam Dunk yet but I've seen the anime and the anime was really underwhelming.. Ahiru no Sora is probably my favorite basketball manga of all time as of yet, so I understand why your cousin hypes it up so much, but there's not gonna be a lot of action for a little while.. there's gonna be a little bit here and there though like you saw at the end of this episode.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
 
Oct 5, 2019 1:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
Good start! I expect this anime to be one of the best this season
And the pillows with the opening theme! Really good start
 
Oct 5, 2019 1:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 8353
So that's why the ED vocalist seems to be familiar to me! they are non other than phatmans after school which is now named as Saji...nice!
a fine episode 1.
Since i did not watch Kuroko...this might fill the gap...sucks to be me i got no time marathoning Kuroko...
5/5.


 
Oct 5, 2019 3:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7298
Damn. This is a legit basketball anime. It's been a while. The MC is a good dude and it's cool that he looks up to his mom so much. She used to be a basketball star or something? I definitely want to know more about her.

Best 1st episode of the season so far.
 
Oct 5, 2019 3:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 55
Mormegil said:
Damn. This is a legit basketball anime. It's been a while. The MC is a good dude and it's cool that he looks up to his mom so much. She used to be a basketball star or something? I definitely want to know more about her.

Best 1st episode of the season so far.


The mom was a former ace of the national japan team. Sorry I don`t know how to put a spoiler tag. :(
 
Oct 5, 2019 3:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2133
That start-type is so old yet pretty good.
 
Oct 5, 2019 9:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1778
Nice start. Kinda disappointed that it took the cliche "short" guy route because Basketball is a sport to favor tall guys.
 
Oct 6, 2019 12:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 271
As a fan of the manga, I'm not really into the character redesigns, compared to the source material. Unsure how i feel, hopefully, the series becomes popular considering the English translation is like 30-40 volumes behind or something like that.
 
Oct 6, 2019 5:41 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 371
Soundtrack and pacing were great. The ending scene was beautifully crafted, with the added emotional foreshadowing of Sora's mother's hospitalisation and maybe death peppered throughout.

A strong debut episode.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?


------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
 
Oct 6, 2019 7:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 124
dc22 said:
Oh so it's another haikyuu with the short guy being OP. Hopefully it gets better.
Watch Chihayafuru or 3-gatsu no Lion if you want a good MC in sports type series.
 
Oct 6, 2019 11:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 236
Ok I did not hate it but what I really dislike is the whole MC goes to a school to play a certain sport only to find out its run by delinquents,out of the all the scenarios to start a sport anime they had to go with the worst one,say what you want about shows like kuroko no basket/prince of tennis yes they are over the top and yes I do prefer a more down to earth sport anime but at least in those shows it had an official team with official members now instead of getting down to business we have to spend time (wasted time) building a club and being a psychiatrist to emotionally dysfunctional team members.Question if the MC like basketball so much why did he not chose a better school or do reach on the school he would of been attending? Maybe I am just overthinking it and it would be explained later on.I guess its just the first episode so maybe they wont spend too much time on the whole building a club thing.
 
Oct 6, 2019 12:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 572
hack5 said:
Ok I did not hate it but what I really dislike is the whole MC goes to a school to play a certain sport only to find out its run by delinquents,out of the all the scenarios to start a sport anime they had to go with the worst one,say what you want about shows like kuroko no basket/prince of tennis yes they are over the top and yes I do prefer a more down to earth sport anime but at least in those shows it had an official team with official members now instead of getting down to business we have to spend time (wasted time) building a club and being a psychiatrist to emotionally dysfunctional team members.Question if the MC like basketball so much why did he not chose a better school or do reach on the school he would of been attending? Maybe I am just overthinking it and it would be explained later on.I guess its just the first episode so maybe they wont spend too much time on the whole building a club thing.
i actually like the premise and think it's a great start cause unlike the other two examples you gave they actually have to inherently develope the characters in order to get to the traditional basketball stuff.
 
Oct 6, 2019 2:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 236
Black_Sheep97 said:
hack5 said:
Ok I did not hate it but what I really dislike is the whole MC goes to a school to play a certain sport only to find out its run by delinquents,out of the all the scenarios to start a sport anime they had to go with the worst one,say what you want about shows like kuroko no basket/prince of tennis yes they are over the top and yes I do prefer a more down to earth sport anime but at least in those shows it had an official team with official members now instead of getting down to business we have to spend time (wasted time) building a club and being a psychiatrist to emotionally dysfunctional team members.Question if the MC like basketball so much why did he not chose a better school or do reach on the school he would of been attending? Maybe I am just overthinking it and it would be explained later on.I guess its just the first episode so maybe they wont spend too much time on the whole building a club thing.
i actually like the premise and think it's a great start cause unlike the other two examples you gave they actually have to inherently develope the characters in order to get to the traditional basketball stuff.


I still see it as wasted time but I understand where u are coming from,the thing is they could of done it much better like eg.the school has a small boys team that needs work right and the delinquents was a part of the team that dropped out for whatever reason and the MC helps them to get back on their feet,something like that would of work,that way we would of gotten the best of both scenarios,you see I only used the example of prince of tennis and kuroko no basket cause people seem to dump on it a lot for having power elements which gets over the top but I was trying to prove a point that even those shows know to just get down to business,shows like haikyu,ace no diamond,baby steps,major,touch and big windup they all did the scenario better.
 
Oct 8, 2019 9:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 1303
 
Oct 11, 2019 11:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 239
All of the characters look like they're 45 years old. I want ikemen. Could have done without the peeping/pervert/etc in the beginning. But will probably still keep watching this anyway bc I'm weak for sports anime.
 
Oct 16, 2019 7:24 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 81
I havent watched Slam Dunk, but I watched 2 seasons of Kuroko no Basuke. So I just compare this show with KnB. This episode was fine, I think it will not be as intense as Kutoko's Basketball, I will watch it anyway. The only thing I do not like is this character design with large lips...
 
Oct 18, 2019 12:46 PM

Online
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1271
I loved this!

Damn didn't know pillows were doing the OP. Amazing!

When I first saw the delinquents I thought they would be some type of 'kind' delinquents, but I guess not. They really are delinquents.

Also didn't expect MC to actually be an already good basketball player.

Seems like the story in the beginning will be about him teaching others to like basketball and thus making them better people which I think sports are all about. I love this kinds of stories so I am definitely going to be following this. The show definitely has potential.
 
Oct 23, 2019 3:18 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
I guess double dribbles are allowed in this anime’s world.... he totally used one to get past the blonde guy
 
Oct 26, 2019 9:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2865
I enjoyed it a lot. I'm into shows with yankees or delinquents, especially stereotypical ones which is why I loved Beelzebub since it was over the top.

I think it was a great start and I'm looking forward to the next episode!
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.
 
Oct 27, 2019 12:11 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 67
Really good first episode. That peeping hole was really unnecessary and bought the mood down but still a really good start none the less.

The Character designs could use some work but it's nice.
 
Oct 27, 2019 11:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Isnt this just like kurokos basket?
Kinda thing where youve seen one shounen sports anime and youve seen em all kinda thing?
 
Oct 29, 2019 3:44 PM
Case is closed!

Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 58
I didn't expect it was good. But I like it. It's kinda ็Ž‹้“ shonen manga!!
 
Nov 1, 2019 4:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 2500
It was a really great first episode, looks very promising for a 50 episodes anime
 
Nov 1, 2019 5:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 293
I did'nt want to watch it because basket anime such as kuroko no basket or haikyu look like dhit but that first episode was awesome
Very good animztion and good characters

 
Nov 12, 2019 12:55 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
This looks promising, and it did the short protagonist trope way before Haikyuu, All Out, and Hinomaruzumou, which is good because this is starting to become a cliché in sports anime nowadays.
 
Nov 25, 2019 12:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5548
If he's lost 200 times in a row, then why does he still carry cash? Most places take electronic payment, and bullies are less likely to steal cards and phones since its much easier and much likely to get punished for it.

So, why did he show up to practice without changing into gym clothes?

Aren't clubs normally required to have advisors? Why does the advisor not care about the players physically assaulting and chasing away new members and actively avoiding anything resembling effort or success? This is just a great way to get fired for incompetence, not to mention the serious legal repercussions for the school and the severe negative impact on the school's reputation.

I'll be shocked if they don't foul him.
 
Nov 28, 2019 7:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 95
I was a bit dissapointed. I had heard from somehwhere, i don't remember where but they said, if you enjoyed kuruko's basketball then this anime is a must watch. But so far it wasn't that good imo. It wasn't bad, it was just okayliy good imo. same with the openings and endings.
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]