Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 2, 2019 2:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We got the main guy Kurumatani Sora introduced in the first episode with a short height but loves to play basketball. He doesn't look impressive as a player so far so I think there's a lot of room for improvement. The guy seems to have a determined attitude so I like that part about him. Also got to see a little bit about his past.

Madoka and Chiaki also makes an appearance! I find the scenes with Chiaki rather amusing tbh.

A solid start so far imo. Sora has a lot of potential. The anime seems to have a balanced humor with bits of drama.
Stark700Oct 2, 2019 3:53 AM
Oct 2, 2019 4:51 AM
Sep 2016
Ill admit, Diomedea did a really solid job with this episode. I kinda don't expect much from the first show in a season, but this one isn interesting. If anything I will be watching this because the pillows are doing the music and I love them.
It really do be like that though.

Oct 2, 2019 5:00 AM
Dec 2015
I've been looking forward to the anime coming out for a bit now, like most shows it'll probably ramp up after the first 3 episodes.

I really enjoyed the opening as well as the art style, I didn't realize how stacked the voice cast was going to be and everyone seems to sound really good

I find Chiaki very entertaining lmao
Oct 2, 2019 5:27 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic start, this is the type of show that I love watching. From the very opening sequence when Sora says "They're my wings" and the OST kicks in, you know it's gonna be a treat.

The episode was more or less a classic Shounen start, Sora meets delinquents who have turned the club into their hangout spot and have stopped playing the sport, however we all know that these guys are gonna come around and I can't wait to see it when they do.

That Madoka changing scene, damn. Give us more. She seems like waifu already. XD

The final sequence with Sora going against the 4 delinquents + Madoka was awesome.
Art is nice, animation felt a little off during the basketball sequences but I do hope they animate the matches properly. After watching this episode, I feel this totally is a Production I.G. type of anime but I hope Diomedea do a good job. Finally, the soundtrack is fire! Loving it.

Can't wait for more.
Oct 2, 2019 5:31 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Pretty alright episode. Character designs look nice and I like the characters for now. Hope to see some more of the Madoka chick as well. I would like to see some good quality and animation during the games.
Oct 2, 2019 5:32 AM

Apr 2010
Loving the adaptation so far.

It will be a treat to watch.
Oct 2, 2019 5:34 AM

Aug 2013
I decided to watch this out of curiosity and it seems decent so far.

I like the main character, Sora, so far and his determination. Despite his short height, he still wants to play basketball.

Oct 2, 2019 5:37 AM
Jan 2019
The character view from the sides is strange.
Oct 2, 2019 5:47 AM

May 2017
As someone who loves sports anime I instantly got hype during the 5v1 match. It’s just the first episode but I already have pretty high hopes, I like what we’ve got so far.
Oct 2, 2019 5:50 AM

Feb 2011
the pillows doing the OP is a beautiful treat I was not expecting <3
Oct 2, 2019 5:55 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interesting start! I've been looking forward to this show for a while and I can say for certain that I'm hooked already.

Sora is quite the determined and confident basketball player, I like that. To boot, he's a really strong person mentally and it was nice to see him motivated despite the dire state. Good thing Chiaki just about made it in time to prevent some chaos though, things were definitely not looking bright for Sora there.

And then, that 5-on-1 matchup was awesome! Animation was slightly lacking to give that punch to the scene but it was just about enough to sate that buildup. Can't wait to see how the match will end.

Chiaki is quite the lively character so far and some of his antics were hilarious, looking forward to more of him. I was shocked that his twin brother is the gang leader though, they don't look anything alike xD. Anyway, curious to know about why he was "running away" there, to quote his brother that. I'm guessing this team suffered a big loss sometime in the past crushing their morales or something of that sort.

Lol, Sora's "I'll just say I'm 165 cm, even though I'm actually 149 cm." really hit home. Height and Genetics really is unfair :(

Definitely looking forward to more! As @Lelouch0202 pointed out earlier, it does indeed ideally feel like a Production I.G. show but here's to hoping Diomedia's got the talent to pull this off.

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 2, 2019 5:58 AM

Dec 2018
Awesome start!!!
Sora is way more interesting than Hinata (and I love Haikyuu!!)
Oct 2, 2019 6:40 AM

Sep 2018
That was a great first episode! The first scene already had me digging the MC, they built him a clear persona in the first ep. Very curious to see where this one'll go.
Oct 2, 2019 6:46 AM

Jul 2012
Rather interesting. I like the attitude of MC.

Also, he actually seems to be rather talented at basketball.

Still, I assume he's gonna get dunked real hard at the start of the next episode.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2019 6:53 AM

Jan 2013
Anime is saved, AoTS.
Oct 2, 2019 6:55 AM

Mar 2010
Meh. Not liking any characters so far
Oct 2, 2019 7:03 AM

Nov 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Fantastic start, this is the type of show that I love watching. From the very opening sequence when Sora says "They're my wings" and the OST kicks in, you know it's gonna be a treat.

The episode was more or less a classic Shounen start, Sora meets delinquents who have turned the club into their hangout spot and have stopped playing the sport, however we all know that these guys are gonna come around and I can't wait to see it when they do.

That Madoka changing scene, damn. Give us more. She seems like waifu already. XD

The final sequence with Sora going against the 4 delinquents + Madoka was awesome.
Art is nice, animation felt a little off during the basketball sequences but I do hope they animate the matches properly. After watching this episode, I feel this totally is a Production I.G. type of anime but I hope Diomedea do a good job. Finally, the soundtrack is fire! Loving it.

Can't wait for more.

So much this. I totally dig these kind of beginnings too. And overall it was a really, really good episode.

The set up is pretty nice and all the delinquents hanging around is reminding me a lot of Slam Dunk. The scene under the bridge a bit of Ippo xD. It will surely be great to see Sora winning the team over and he surely is off to a great start with his attitude and skills, so is this series as well. I expected the production not to be good when it comes to animation, but here it was fine. I still think they did the best job with the sound and directing, feels like someone knew how to properly introduce a shounen sports story. In particular the hype factor was surprisingly well done and effective, couldn't help but smile like a fool when Sora challenged everyone for a 5 on 1 and showed what he got. Fire!

Comedy worked too and it proabably will only get better once you're more familiar with the characters and their quirks. Speaking of which, the cast also seems appealing for this kind of series and there's a ton of potential for interesting dynamics and developemnts.

Very promising start, I consider myself already hooked and I'm looking forward to more.
FMmatronOct 2, 2019 9:17 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2019 7:19 AM

Feb 2011
That was a really promising first episode. Enjoyed it a lot and hopefully the quality of the animation will be consistent and not degrade over time.
Oct 2, 2019 7:29 AM
Apr 2017
Awesome episode. I liked first episode. Hope anime will be good for entire four cours...
Oct 2, 2019 7:39 AM

Mar 2016
I missed Kaji Yuuki's voice so much! I'm glad I get to hear him again.

The art is generally quite nice, but the hairstyles and the mouths are distractingly ugly.

The story seems like it can be enjoyable enough, but I don't like the characters because it is kind of hard to like peeping toms.
Oct 2, 2019 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
Here we go again. MC is new one at school and some bullies beat him.

I bet animation of games will be top notch.
Oct 2, 2019 8:07 AM

Oct 2017
Sora is a shorty but seems to be a cool guy and a good B-bal player. I really like his type, kinda reminded me of Hinata from Haikyuu. So far the start seemed really promising, the animation was great and the ost's were spot on. Expecting a lot from this and I'm hooked already.
MegamiRemOct 2, 2019 9:45 AM
Oct 2, 2019 8:37 AM
Sep 2015
Yesterday I've strange phenomenon happen to me, everything old seems new to me, and thanks to that, I'm gonna enjoy this sports anime to its heart content. And hopefully I can enjoy heterosexual anime at some point in the future.
Oct 2, 2019 9:12 AM

Jun 2011
Just realized the episode came out! Watched the last few minute to see how the action was animated and I wasn't disappointed! As a huge fan of the NBA and basketball in general, it looked so much smoother compared to Kuroko no Basket, movement wise. The behind the back move, the crossover, they look so good! If anyone's a huge fan of fancy passing moves, or Steph Curry's long deep 3's, I highly suggest staying with this series for a bit. edit: that shot fake looked so much like Curry's, where he'd look at the rim pretending he's gonna shoot and drive by the defenders.

Gonna save this one for binge-watching later on. Hopefully we get more than 2 cours for this series. It's unfortunate that I heard there's about 500 chapters out for the manga but only 100+ were translated, so you really can't even read the manga even if you want to unless you understand Japanese.
ToG25thBaamOct 2, 2019 9:16 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 2, 2019 9:14 AM
May 2018
I think this is gonna be a very decent sports anime by the looks of it. It looks decent, The characters a decently interesting and likeable and the execution of everything was decent.
I think I'm gonna enjoy it.
Oct 2, 2019 9:17 AM
Jan 2017
So far so good. See you next week episode 2.
Oct 2, 2019 9:17 AM

Feb 2009
Good start. My expectations were pretty low before watching this and I was entertained, interesting characters too. Hope they continue this flow and it doesn't become another generic show.
it has some Slam Dunk elements, but i'm also seeing some of Kuroko, so it's kinda like a mix between both.*
Zero_samaOct 2, 2019 9:45 AM
Oct 2, 2019 9:24 AM

May 2012
I did not watch it yet. But I have question for people who read the manga

Does this anime have a lot of intense match like Kuroko basketball ?? I don't like sport anime that has a lot of slice of life shit and spend like full cour on training and long boring dialog and shit. If it similar to Days or Baby Steps then this show is not for me.

I love sport anime like Kuroko basketbal, captain tsubasa, Hinomaruzumou, baki. I like something give you the feeling of suspense (if you know what I mean).

Sorry if my English is bad.
Oct 2, 2019 9:36 AM

Dec 2018
Really good episode, my expectations weren't high and it surely surprised me.

If Diomedea continues with the quality this can be the best basketball anime since Slam Dunk.
Oct 2, 2019 9:42 AM

Aug 2018
A bit cliched, but it was pretty good and I'm looking forward to it.
Oct 2, 2019 9:57 AM

Sep 2017
I mean, nothing is terribly executed in this episode, but how is it different from all the other shounen sport anime? I guess it's gonna be decent if it's your first few shounen sport, but it's hard to imagine you would enjoy it if you have already seen more than 10 other similar shows.

Also Diomedea has a pretty bad production track record so I'm dropping it. I'll give a couple more episodes if it were Production I. G. or something, but not Diomedea..
Oct 2, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2015
lol the manga has 600+ chapters why no one adapted this earlier,this is from 2003
Oct 2, 2019 10:08 AM

Jul 2019
A sports (basketball) anime with a twist, the school team the MC tries to join are actually bullies. Like actual bullies. Oh yeah and they don't even play basketball. The MC just seems to take it and doesn't really seem to care about things like getting locked in a storage closet for the entire first day of school missing all of his classes. I'm sure at some point we, the audience, are supposed to sympathize with these ヤンキー characters and just ignore everything that happened in this episode. It just seems a bit too much though, even if it is kind of a slap-stick comedy at times, it seems for the most part trying to be a serious sports anime. Chiaki is the only one at a redeemable level of "bully" and as a result he's the only bearable character. Oh and maybe Madoka. All that being said, I don't actually hate it.
Oct 2, 2019 10:14 AM

Oct 2015
Looking at the cast and saw someone who looked like AI. Can't wait to see him in action, it's gonna be fun. The MC is so damn short though
Oct 2, 2019 10:21 AM
Sep 2018
A while back I read a news article saying this is the next big basketball anime and I couldn't agree more .
Oct 2, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2017
Essentially your generic shounen sports anime with delinquents. If all goes right it will definitely be an enjoyable watch. Then again, Hanebado also started off pretty good and then completely face planted halfway through

Also Diomedia continues to surprise me. I used to regard them as completely terrible, but lately they haven't been too bad
Oct 2, 2019 10:47 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I enjoyed it quite a lot.
Granted, its nothing special but... idk, it just hits right for me ?
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 2, 2019 10:48 AM
Jan 2018
looks promising.I really hope it come some what near to haikyuu or it will a disappointing
Oct 2, 2019 11:22 AM

Mar 2019
I hope it's a normal basketball anime.
Oct 2, 2019 11:36 AM
Mar 2019
Well nothing of note but a pretty nice one for beginners...
FanBoii
Oct 2, 2019 11:43 AM

Aug 2019
I'm liking it so far.

The comedy is there.

Also, it's quite different in a way.
Oct 2, 2019 11:46 AM

Jan 2017
Quite decent first episode, it's actually way better than I was expecting.

Also mmmm that OP/ED/OST this gonna be GOOOD!
Oct 2, 2019 12:17 PM

Mar 2019
I have a policy of watching all or almost all the first episodes of new anime series.

I thought I would see this and drop, and I'm late in some animes so I thought I wouldn't commit to many this season, specially since there are some obligatory for me ahead...

BUT then I hear Kouichi Hirose's voice -- not just the voice actor but his voice itself since the actor can do other voice types. Doing a protagonist the same size as Kouichi.

This would be sufficient for me, but the other characters and the animation style strike me as charming. Also the whole idea seems cool. So here am I going to be late with lots of anime this season again...
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Oct 2, 2019 12:26 PM

Jul 2014
T'was a pretty good start! loved every moment of it and I like the MC! seems like the point guard type of the team.
Few questions tho.... don't spoil me but I just wanna get this cleared up before getting invested in this show.
1. Will there be gay shit in here? it seems like the MC might be into the female basketball player gal so I think he's safe but like... will there be any gay signs here?
2. Will this be like Slam Dunk who's more grounded and closer to reality or will this be like Kuroko where there's magic ball techniques involved?
Oct 2, 2019 12:27 PM

May 2018
I have high hopes for this show, it's so nice to be watching a good modern basketball anime. Kuroko was a shitshow after Season 1 with the lack of strategy and tactics, emphasis on super abilities and ridiculous sequences. This show has Haikyuu vibes, it's funny, i'm liking the protagonist so far and seeing the characters develop and build chemistry over time should be really satisfying. Additionally the animation looks nice, Sora's handle looks so smooth. Great first episode, 8/10.

Oct 2, 2019 12:39 PM

Feb 2019
This episode, the opening and ending, in combination making me tear up. Giving me the awesome vibes with the sports genre. His mother from the National Japanese Women's team and becoming hospitalized while Kurumatani was a kid. Looking forward to how Chiaki and the other members of the school grow. Also, Madoka waifu but also the fact the members Peeping Tom on Kurumatani's assumed crush at the same time... oya
ファラオ
Oct 2, 2019 12:43 PM
May 2019
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda hyped.
Oct 2, 2019 12:47 PM

Mar 2018
-Stray said:
T'was a pretty good start! loved every moment of it and I like the MC! seems like the point guard type of the team.
Few questions tho.... don't spoil me but I just wanna get this cleared up before getting invested in this show.
1. Will there be gay shit in here? it seems like the MC might be into the female basketball player gal so I think he's safe but like... will there be any gay signs here?
2. Will this be like Slam Dunk who's more grounded and closer to reality or will this be like Kuroko where there's magic ball techniques involved?
there are no real gay stuff and it’s very realistic
Oct 2, 2019 1:01 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a good first episode, I think this could be a good series.
Oct 2, 2019 1:28 PM

Jan 2016
The comedy segments at the start didn't catch me but as soon as they started focusing on Basketball it good sooooo good! Man those last 2 minutes were so hype!

Solid first episode. Finally, we have a normal Basketball anime
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2020

77 by Henk-Devries »»
Feb 13, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

45 by Hinata22525 »»
Nov 21, 2023 10:54 PM

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2020

37 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 12, 2023 1:51 AM

Poll: » Ahiru no Sora Episode 49 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

38 by mirco99 »»
Oct 8, 2023 2:57 PM

» Will there be a season 2 of Ahiru no Sora?

TheCryBabyHero - Jul 10, 2023

7 by DemiDaCactus »»
Aug 27, 2023 9:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.