Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2019 7:07 AM

Jun 2019
I get that she's the first antagonist of the series (second if you include Magiaconatus and its battle royale) and because of this she has to come off as evil to contrast the good characters, but her one-note behaviour really hindered the overall series. The show gets better when it's not around and the other characters finally get some screen time, but that just made it more disheartening because Anna had potential.

Magiaconatus drives people crazy, but we see Anna's struggles through the lens of Shingetsu's eyes and never her own. Shingetsu is sad due to the role she played in making Anna crazy, but it just made me wonder why the one loved by magic ghosted her first friend so badly?

Why couldn't she have a heart to heart with her friend and then Anna could continue to try her best and if she wins, then great, if she didn't then at least she tried. Instead Shingetsu pitied her friend, manipulated her feelings towards magic and then ghosted. Not to mention Anna's entire family put her down and made her feel second best.

Instead of giving us this depth and showing that Anna misses the friendship and wanted Shingetsu to just talk to her instead of running away, Anna was just the crazy psycho and remained that way until the end. Not only that, but her entire existence has been erased. Shingetsu found a better friend in Mangetsu and her family found a better daughter in the girl who lost first.

The entire thing is just depressing and makes me wish the show did better with Anna. I'm find with her being erased, but don't make her so one-note that it ruins the story.

HiddenSilentMeOct 1, 2019 7:13 AM
Oct 1, 2019 10:04 AM

May 2017
Highly disagree.

Magiaconatus isn't what drove her crazy. What drove her crazy is believing that she had this amazing level of power, yet still being told by everyone around her that she was weak.

If you thought you had this immense power and then people just looked at you with sad eyes, telling you you weren't good enough, you'd probably go mad, too. She could never understand why she "wasn't strong enough" when she could perform all these crazy techniques. In her eyes, her family was probably just jealous, or trying to tear her down for some stupid reason that she didn't know about.

That's why it absolutely broke her permanently when she found out she never had the power in the first place.

And to answer your question, Shingetsu ghosted Anna because she wanted Anna to realize on her own that her power was a lie, rather than telling her directly. Obviously that didn't work out, because Anna fueled by her anger ignored the fact that her 'power' wasn't working anymore. In fact, she probably blamed her struggles on Shingetsu throwing off her life by leaving her, adding more fuel to the fire.

All in all it makes perfect sense why Anna was so angry right from the start and not willing to listen to reason. Shingetsu and Anna's family were the direct cause of what Anna turned into. It's super depressing, but it fits very well with the show's themes (i.e. why magic should be destroyed - it leads to conflict, corruption, and evil) and does make plenty of sense.
Oct 1, 2019 11:55 AM

Jun 2019
ycleped said:
Highly disagree.

Magiaconatus isn't what drove her crazy. What drove her crazy is believing that she had this amazing level of power, yet still being told by everyone around her that she was weak.

The theme of the show was how magic can drive people to conflict and how they can go crazy with power. But Anna's issues had nothing to do with the power or magic. Shingetsu wanted to destroy magic due to how it made people like Anna feel and what happened before. But Anna's issues all stemmed from people treating her like garbage.

Magic didn't cause Shingetsu to ghost Anna. Magic didn't cause her family from treating her like she's weak and how Ernesta is and will always be better than her. Magic didn't cause Shingetsu to manipulate Anna's feelings in order to feel liked. Those issues were human based and blaming magic makes no sense here.

In any case, her reasons for going crazy makes sense and I understand her viewpoint. However, the show didn't do a good job in making her anything other than crazy. For the first few episodes, she screams "Ernesta" and when we see her alone she only speaks about how Ernesta will pay. The only reason why we know she got screwed over by Shingetsu and her family is because we see all of the conflict through Shingetsu's eyes.

Anna is a compelling character and shows that sometimes it's not magic that can ruin people, it's the humans around them. I just don't think she was written in a way that played to her strengths. And it's a shame too, because once she disappeared the show got better and started to understand how to fully flesh out their characters.

I also didn't like how Shingetsu's guilt over Anna was making Anna believe that she could have power when she should feel guilty for ghosting her and running away from her friend.
Oct 5, 2019 8:19 PM

Oct 2017
Hmm. Mostly disagree.

I loved her character, as you might be able to tell by my choosing her as my current signature girl. I actually thought the show was worse (maybe I should say 'less good' as I loved it overall) after Anna is no longer in the picture. She had a great design. The fire/ice thing and the red in her clothing and hair and the blue of her eyes, plus every else about her... Asthetically, she might be the best character design that I've seen all year. Beautfiul figure too. It's a pet peeve of mine that anime tends to have small cute girls with no breasts or big breasted she-beasts and nothing in between. Anna had an elegance about her figure, and refreshing normal sized breasts. Might seem like a minor thing for most people but I appreciated it.

But on a personality level, I can see why you'd say she was a little 'one-note'. She was all about the rage. But I think it worked quite well. The artists did a great job bringing out her anger with the facial expressions and the voice work was great too. Also, I'm with the other poster saying how her character made perfect sense. And it's not as if she didn't develop in small ways.

The only way in which I'd say I disliked how her character was handled was that she just kind of went away. I thought she was a fantastic villain and they could have really ramped up how crazy she got and explored the dynamic between her and Ernestia as the main focus of the show. The Mangetsu/Shingetsu connection stuff was great, but I felt Siushou was a lackluster villain compared to Anna.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Nov 10, 2019 8:09 AM

Jan 2015
Even though your profile is probably fake, if it makes you feel better i totally agree with you.
Nov 11, 2019 7:22 PM

Jun 2019
MicheleCostOwna said:
Even though your profile is probably fake, if it makes you feel better i totally agree with you.

:(

Why does this feel like you don't really agree with me, but you're just saying this to make me feel better.
Nov 12, 2019 2:11 AM

Jan 2015
HiddenSilentMe said:
MicheleCostOwna said:

:(

Why does this feel like you don't really agree with me, but you're just saying this to make me feel better.

i do do agree, Anna is my favorite character. I understood where she's coming from and she was somewhat relatable. It sucks to try something over and over again, dedicate your life to it, only to learn you aren't destined to succeed in it.

In general, i don't really like when anime separates white and black, good and evil. As people are more complex than that, and noone is clear positive or clear negative. We all have our own reasons and circumstances for doing evil or good things.

If Anna met a nice group that accepted her as the mage and helped her improve and gave her that kindness and warmth that she wanted from her family that instead went to Shingetsu, she might have changed her way. (but that's not this kind of anime unfortunately)
Or what even better, for her family to stop mentioning Shingetsu and start believing in Anna and for Shingetsu to at least treat her as a rival and not: "You cant defeat me" you know how bad it feels to hear that over and over :v
But honestly, who can keep her sanity with Suishou around, run away lol.

I feel like its a good time to shamefully promote my favorite. Bungou Stray Dogs... there aren't actually any good or bad characters, just characters whose views oppose, hence they clash.But no character is fundamentally good or evil.
And characters like Kyouka actually switch sides when surrounded by a different group (surroundings and environment matter lol, who woulda known)
Nov 13, 2019 2:59 AM

Nov 2015
When I read your first post, I was about to say that it's not entirely Anna's fault, but it's more about the people around her. But then you said exactly the same thing on your next post.

Now I'm confused. If we have such a similar opinion, then why you are still upset about this? I mean, it's not such a big deal for me.

After giving it some thought, I think I've found the answer. Maybe you already realized this. I think that, rather than disliking Anna's character (or any character in particular), it seems that you're the most upset that Anna was just a side character in this story.

In other words, you dislike how Anna's character was given a bad treatment in this show. But that's exactly the title of this discussion. I'm just repeating what you said. Why do I even say this? I don't know.
AshenWishNov 13, 2019 3:08 AM
Nov 13, 2019 6:10 PM

Jun 2019
FlyingEgg said:
When I read your first post, I was about to say that it's not entirely Anna's fault, but it's more about the people around her. But then you said exactly the same thing on your next post.

Now I'm confused. If we have such a similar opinion, then why you are still upset about this? I mean, it's not such a big deal for me.

After giving it some thought, I think I've found the answer. Maybe you already realized this. I think that, rather than disliking Anna's character (or any character in particular), it seems that you're the most upset that Anna was just a side character in this story.

In other words, you dislike how Anna's character was given a bad treatment in this show. But that's exactly the title of this discussion. I'm just repeating what you said. Why do I even say this? I don't know.

I'm not angry about this or upset about it. lol I enjoyed the show, but I just have a criticism about it and wanted to use the forum to talk about it.

The story was about Shingetsu and Mangetsu, so I'm fine with Anna being a side character. I also understood why Anna was the way she was and why she was so angry with the world. My issue isn't even her treatment, it's the way that she was written. Granbelm had a lot of fairly nuanced characters throughout the series, but I feel like they dropped the ball when it came to Anna. We saw how she was through Shingetsu's eyes and learned her motivations through that, but whenever we saw Anna through her lens (just glimpses here and there) she was just angry and that's it. Even though I understood why Anna was the way she was, due to how she was written she hindered the story more than anything else. When she finally died, the story ended up getting better and the other characters were fleshed out in ways that Anna wasn't.

Does that make better sense?

Nov 14, 2019 12:53 AM

Nov 2015
HiddenSilentMe said:
FlyingEgg said:

I'm not angry about this or upset about it. lol I enjoyed the show, but I just have a criticism about it and wanted to use the forum to talk about it.

The story was about Shingetsu and Mangetsu, so I'm fine with Anna being a side character. I also understood why Anna was the way she was and why she was so angry with the world. My issue isn't even her treatment, it's the way that she was written. Granbelm had a lot of fairly nuanced characters throughout the series, but I feel like they dropped the ball when it came to Anna. We saw how she was through Shingetsu's eyes and learned her motivations through that, but whenever we saw Anna through her lens (just glimpses here and there) she was just angry and that's it. Even though I understood why Anna was the way she was, due to how she was written she hindered the story more than anything else. When she finally died, the story ended up getting better and the other characters were fleshed out in ways that Anna wasn't.

I see. So, basically you're not satisfied that Anna was simply "I'M ANGRY AND I WANT ERNESTA TO DIE!" all the time, when she could be something more. Is that correct?

However, I think that it is quite an effective strategy to get Anna to have an multiple epic fights with Shingetsu and later remove her from the story. Do you have another suggestion on how we can achieve that? I think other alternatives requires the anime to have less intense or less frequent mech battles, and that's a tough decision.
Nov 15, 2019 9:16 PM

Jun 2019
FlyingEgg said:
HiddenSilentMe said:

I see. So, basically you're not satisfied that Anna was simply "I'M ANGRY AND I WANT ERNESTA TO DIE!" all the time, when she could be something more. Is that correct?

However, I think that it is quite an effective strategy to get Anna to have an multiple epic fights with Shingetsu and later remove her from the story. Do you have another suggestion on how we can achieve that? I think other alternatives requires the anime to have less intense or less frequent mech battles, and that's a tough decision.

I suppose that's true, I just found it boring after while. Anna's anger was her only characteristic. I'm fine with her not forgiving or being friends with Shingestsu, but maybe if we had a couple of scenes with her by herself just thinking about the past and how she has to get stronger to prove everyone wrong.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

77 by 5hadow17 »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:57 AM

» Beauty..... so undderated.........

Ghefira - May 5, 2023

1 by NerdyMemer »»
May 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

79 by Ten »»
Dec 28, 2022 8:42 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2019

87 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:57 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

47 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.