Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2019 1:15 PM

Jul 2019
Very enjoyable episode. I could have never guessed they would travel through Wales. Carnute choosing to remain silent is pretty annoying but still better than him being one of those arrogant, spoiled successors. Also the Jomsvikings are getting ready for another operation.
Sep 29, 2019 1:18 PM

Sep 2014
That ending sequence was epic
Sep 29, 2019 1:27 PM
Jul 2019
Zenek said:
Weeb-King said:

My theory is that that's Thorfinns sister who got captured and sold as a slave when that village got raided. But i could be wrong.

His sister was much older though, and bigger. That was a kid.

yeah apparently it was just a guy who looks like thorfinn. my bad
Sep 29, 2019 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
The last couple of minutes were pure awesomeness.
We're about to witness a tragedy soon, aren't we?
I'm all nervous and worried for Askeladd, his men and the prince.
Sep 29, 2019 1:39 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

So the prince is actually a boy. Traps are becoming harder and harder to figure out over the years. xD
Anyway, I'm curious as to how Askeladd knows the Welsh people and what his story with them is. There's no way they helped him out of just goodwill.

I'm interested in how the prince will grow as a character and what his influence on the way will be. A person completely disinterested in war and glory in an era packed to the brim with nothing but war.

Can't stress enough just how beautiful the art is. Those scenic shots are very pretty.
Sep 29, 2019 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
Very good episode in terms of atmosphere supported by great melancholic visuals, they really managed to capture the spirit and the bleakness of that age this time.

Also, are they going to pull Artorius's legend now? It seems Canute's pretty much descendant of roman rulers so is he going to achieve the feat of the old myths? But they are some few centuries late I guess, the legend originately mostly in 5th and 6th century where there were Saxons around. Still wonder what's in store for him.

And it seems like Thorfinn will remove the archer threat yet again.

Sep 29, 2019 1:48 PM

Mar 2018
Damn what a phenomenal episode like always, two armies chasing each other, both with connections to other kingdoms, this is why it's regarded as an epic. Loved the attention to details while they were marching and how it kept building up to the meeting point with reinforcements, so dreadful and tense

Again with funny conversations, the concept of love doesn't mean anything to them, but it's not surprising that some want to hear more about it when it's regarded as something that transcends material wealth. fuking christians

Askeladd continues to be an amazing character, will be interesting to see how he'll use Canute and what impact it'll have on Thorfinn

edit: I think this episode proved again that VS does have some great soundtracks, they just don't use them often lol.
EsquirtitSep 29, 2019 2:11 PM
poop
Sep 29, 2019 1:51 PM
Sep 2019
This episode ended with hype for next episode , Next week is gonna be fun ...
Sep 29, 2019 1:58 PM

May 2018
feels like a nice buildup episode ;)
Sep 29, 2019 2:17 PM

Feb 2019
Easily the most underrated gem of the decade. Being on prime probably really hurts its potential numbers. I'm so glad WIT has done the manga justice
Sep 29, 2019 2:50 PM

Oct 2017
I get the feeling we will see askeladd’s backstory soon. It’s interesting how he has high hopes for the prince.
Sep 29, 2019 2:53 PM
Jun 2016
This anime has been getting lukewarm lately. My only joy from this episode was seeing the prince's beautiful face and hair.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2019 3:20 PM

Mar 2018
Very nice episode once again, I really liked the world building.

Also, since Wales have been introduced, allow me to say this : PAYS DE GALLES INDÉPENDAAAANT !!!
Sep 29, 2019 3:29 PM

Sep 2019
Weeb-King said:
Zenek said:
What was that scene with a slave with striking resemblance to Thorfinn? Am I to believe it was Askeladd as a kid?

My theory is that that's Thorfinns sister who got captured and sold as a slave when that village got raided. But i could be wrong.

This seems to be the most probable, he/she looks way younger than Thorfinn imo.

Edit: Nvm, he only had an older sister, it's been a while since those early episodes lol.
FantyyySep 29, 2019 3:36 PM
Sep 29, 2019 3:32 PM

Sep 2017
Some really interesting dialogue this episode. I have a really hard time getting in Askeladd's head. Like when he was having that conversation on the horse with the general and has a flashback to Thors. I just can't get a read on what he's thinking. I really wanna learn more about him.
Sep 29, 2019 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
Holy. Shit. I really liked the scene where the priest talks about the importance of love. It added a sense of hopefulness in such a dark series. The scene near the end where they're betrayed, and the way the dramatic music plays...goosebumps. I love this show.

ProofByColor said:
Some really interesting dialogue this episode. I have a really hard time getting in Askeladd's head. Like when he was having that conversation on the horse with the general and has a flashback to Thors. I just can't get a read on what he's thinking. I really wanna learn more about him.

That's what I love about this series: the way it's subtle at times as to what the characters are thinking. It's never entirely clear what Askeladd's mental state of mind is, which makes him such a great character. It would've been so much cheaper if he was written to speak in a bunch of monologues.

Zenek said:
What was that scene with a slave with striking resemblance to Thorfinn? Am I to believe it was Askeladd as a kid?

No, it was just some random kid.
removed-userSep 29, 2019 3:51 PM
Sep 29, 2019 4:07 PM

Jun 2012
ProofByColor said:

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I didn't quite get it either... What I theorize is that he saw how benevolent Thors turned after so much violence which made him intrigued/interested in it, and now thinks that Canute has that quality too? Something along those lines perhaps
Sep 29, 2019 4:12 PM

Sep 2017
Snaita said:
ProofByColor said:

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I didn't quite get it either... What I theorize is that he saw how benevolent Thors turned after so much violence which made him intrigued/interested in it, and now thinks that Canute has that quality too? Something along those lines perhaps

Hmm, yeah I could see something like that. It was like he was comparing the two. Like he's thinking having a leader who isn't obsessed with violence and what not might be a good thing.
Sep 29, 2019 4:22 PM

Dec 2015
Short_Circut said:
damn, pretty slow ep but the ending was mad. Thought Canute was gonna be the silent yet badass type but seems like he's more the scared type

If you want to know what Canute will likely be like but don't want to be spoiled by looking up the source material, just google the real Canute and read a couple paragraphs on Wikipedia. I think Canute will end up being an interesting character (I haven't read the source material but this show has been fairly faithful to the little we know historically).
Sep 29, 2019 4:49 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode. Build up episode. The group is ambushed, Thorfinn is ready to fight. To the next episode

Sep 29, 2019 5:03 PM
Aug 2019
Snaita said:
ProofByColor said:

Maybe some liberties were taken with the translation, but in the manga in this scene Askeladd says "the greater the man, the more unpredictable his actions are" when reminiscing about Thors. He then follows with "maybe, someone more timid is the leader we need".

So essentially, Askeladd says "well, great men and leaders are hard to predict/manipulate, maybe it's for the best he's so timid since he will be easy to control or we can raise him and shape him in the way we want".
Sep 29, 2019 5:10 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I found this to be a bit of a weak episode, not a lot going on. I usually enjoy the talk-y episodes, but I found this mostly dull. That is, until the last sequence. It was a great build up. It really felt like a new chapter was beginning.

As I'm still completely blind on what's going to happen next, I have a plethora of questions. How many men of Askeladd's will survive? Will Thorfinn and Canute pair up after escaping this trap? Will Thorfinn get separated from Askeladd, making his goal of revenge unattainable for a time?

Great symbolism occurred with Thorkell and the dead leaf, but how will he play into all of this?

We FINALLY got a chance to see Leif again. I've been wondering for the longest time when he would appear again after explicitly stating he would find Thorfinn.

This makes me really excited to see what's going to happen next.
Sep 29, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2014
im shipping Thorfinn and Canute so hard right now

Wonder who's that boy/girl in the end.. A secret twin of Thorfinn?? I also really want to know what his sister is doing right now

Should be about 4-5 more episodes until Canute becomes badass
Sep 29, 2019 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
good build up episode the music used this week was great , made me pumped up for the show down
Sep 29, 2019 6:59 PM

Apr 2018
Another great episode. And god i love that ost.
Sep 29, 2019 7:10 PM
Jan 2019
The end of the episode left me excited. A damn ambush, but at least we'll see action in the next episode.
What will be the relationship that Askeladd has with the Welsh.
In the end, the prince turned out to be another one of those characters with a woman's face, like Inosuke from Kimetsu no Yaiba, hahaha.

The Vikings didn't know love?
Sep 29, 2019 7:11 PM

Dec 2013
Looks like they managed to escape Thorkell for now.

It’s hard to believe that Thorfinn and the prince are the same age considering how different they are.
Sep 29, 2019 7:31 PM

Jan 2019
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Elucid said:

Oh man, I don't think @A_Sad_Dust_Cloud is gonna be happy lmao

Considering it's the exact same shite edit as last week, then yeah.

Apparently I have a reputation now for saying that err... having out of place looking fanservice shots in serious historical dramas is a bad idea. Who knew that was a radical stance?

Aight look, that's the last scene if you wanna know in the entirety of the manga. I don't see your opinion as a radical stance, it just reminded me of you.
Sep 29, 2019 7:45 PM

May 2013
phantomfandom said:
This episode is quite a road trip, but with language limitation it's hard to convey the difference between culture.
Also viking's foot soldier are always portrayed as unsophisticated men that love gold and woman and alcohol, it is a view from ego commander which is the one who write history. I think they already know what love is and how it works. Of course the author choose to give intellectual to only focused characters for convenience.
I'm wondering if they'll take a bath after this arc is over, I look forward to it.

this is a problem of language. See, the love we speak of, the love Vikings speaks of and the love the father speaks of is diffrent. to vikings they are more familiar with the idea of affection, attracted, sex but the "love" the father speaks of is more of love for family, be nice to others, forgive their mistake and other concepts, which is a different word to the vikings.

you can see it as:
the father:" I seek ^&*%"
vikings:" what is ^&*%?"
they do have the concept, and they do know to love their family, but they may not have a word for the love in christianity.
Sep 29, 2019 8:01 PM

Sep 2019
Imagine gaining the nickname; "Ears". Honestly, a really good ability, but is it me or do titles relating to awesome hearing never sound cool?

Either way, it isn't sad; that belongs to the fact that those poor guys don't even know the concept of "love". It's nice to see the Priest having a role though, 'cause I thought he was just going to be the staple drunk.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Sep 29, 2019 8:09 PM

Jan 2013
Canute is an adorable little girly boy...(too bad i spoiled myself via research lol)
Sep 29, 2019 8:19 PM
Mar 2015
Both Askeladda and Thorkell have Welsh allies
Sep 29, 2019 9:03 PM

Jul 2009
I realize now that I wait every episode just for the chance to see Thorfinn wreck shit. Stupid cliffhanger. All those archers are dead next episode though.
Sep 30, 2019 12:11 AM

Sep 2018
I really love the OST of this episode
I keep moving forward
Sep 30, 2019 12:24 AM

May 2018
I loved this episode a lot. Even though there weren't any action, it still felt impactful and like they're setting up a lot of things. I feel bad for Leif though, still searching for Thorfinn all this time
Sep 30, 2019 2:08 AM
Jul 2019
I'm curious about that slave that looks like Thorfinn. Will Leif do something about it? Also, I love me some priest screentime. I'm like a kid and he's a teacher about to tell a story.
Sep 30, 2019 2:24 AM

Jul 2017
A bit slow moving, but each to his own pace at outwitting each other if it means an advantage.

And this episode went educationally tutorial, that was quite a nice surprise, knowing that Askeladd needs reinforcements to defeat Thorkell. Using a small nation such as Wales can still change the tides of battle.

The victories and glories of old, the legends still stands. In the midst of war, everything can change within a split second.

The cliffhanger shows a lot of context into the 2nd half of the show, and bringing Thorkell's fight (without the main guy himself) to Askeladd.

Great episode, really wanting to notice what's next for this series.
Sep 30, 2019 4:12 AM
Feb 2009
dang looks like something big is gonna happen next week episode
Sep 30, 2019 4:15 AM

May 2018
Good episode, another fight has been awaken and it excites me to watch the 13th episode. Glad to hear Canute's voice here, and their discussion about love was a funny one. I am starting to loved the show, I'm glad they are focusing on characters. I feel sad for Leif, after seeing the Thorfinn lookalike slave.
EsieEyenSep 30, 2019 4:21 AM

Sep 30, 2019 5:16 AM

Jun 2016
shietttt.. i hope canute gender is a female !!!!

Sep 30, 2019 5:19 AM

Jan 2018
Tension's been building up all over again. Even if they're safe for a while from Thorkell's wrath. Another one rises. Pacing's all right as well.

> That priest talking about love, yeah.
> The Prince looking up to Thorfinn, amazing.

That cliffhanger moment. Damn, cannot wait for more.
Sep 30, 2019 5:44 AM

May 2009
Fantyyy said:
Weeb-King said:

This seems to be the most probable, he/she looks way younger than Thorfinn imo.

Edit: Nvm, he only had an older sister, it's been a while since those early episodes lol.

I'm pretty sure that shot was meant for the trade guy (Leif Erikson) that promised Thorfinn's mom and sister to bring him back no matter how long it will take him. He doesn't know what happened to Thorfinn, only that he was taken. So he could've thought for a split second that it was Thorfinn as a slave. Then the shot ended in him having regrets of not yet finding him (I think).
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Sep 30, 2019 6:13 AM

Apr 2018
Still can't believe that inside the really cool helmet is a girlish guy. They got into a sticky situation in the end but they'll surely get through it somehow
Sep 30, 2019 6:14 AM

Jan 2015
Surprised that no one pointed out how Artorius has been mentioned multiple times by Askeladd as being his ancestor!

A lot of stuff happened this episode, it's really a calm before the storm. We also got more confirmation that Askeladd is doing stuff that his crew thinks is somewhat out of character for him, so that's also helping build up towards a climax.

And yes, the thing with Leif at the end just shows that the guy is still looking for Thorfinn after all these years. He regrets having lost sight of the boy and still hopes he's alive, and probably realizes that if Thorfinn isn't dead, he's most likely not living a great life.
Sep 30, 2019 7:33 AM

Feb 2014
The episode felt slower than the ones beforehand, but in terms of world-building, this episode was excellent. =)

It must've been one long and tiresome chase between Askeladd and Thorkell's armies towards the Severn river, but Askeladd's tactics did pay off in the end as they got help from an ally based in across the river in Wales, which got them away from Thorkell for now.

I thought the priest would continue to drink his precious alcohol as always and say nothing, but I do like how he talked to Askeladd's crew about the concept of love for money and women in general. Although most of the crew weren't convinced at all, the priest did get a few guys interested and they wanted to hear from him, which was nice. =)

However, things weren't going to go as smoothly as when they got to the border of the next region deep within the Welsh mountains, Askeladd's group was ambushed by archers. Whether he likes it or not, I'm sure Thorfinn will protected Canute from any attacks with ease.

We also got to see Leif again, as he's was still trying to find Thorfinn after all these years. The poor guy thought he found Thorfinn, but it turned out to be a slave that looks similar. I'm still hoping that Leif does find Thorfinn again...
Sep 30, 2019 7:45 AM

Apr 2019
Another great episode. Askeladd is starting to become even more interesting.

Canute is so cute lol. I wonder what will happen to him that will make him be known as Cnut the Great.
Sep 30, 2019 9:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Good episode, Canute does not looks like a prince at all lol
Sep 30, 2019 9:39 AM

Mar 2017
Prince Canute is quite different from what I had imagined. I thought he was a badass character or something.

Thorfinn and the others got surrounded. Those guys are probably helping Thorkell. I guess Askeladd wasn't the only one who has connections with the Wales.
Sep 30, 2019 9:59 AM

Mar 2017
deg said:
kater_tot said:

Am i wrong in thinking that at the end there, that was Leif looking for Thorfinn?

ye thats my guess too and it cannot be iceland since that place is snowy

Yeah i thought maybe i was wrong about it being Iceland but because Leif looked so devastated i wasn't too sure...
Sep 30, 2019 10:37 AM
Aug 2019
I'm surprised EP12 is rated lower than EP7. To me, EP7 is the weakest episode.

EP7's wall sequenced packs a punch. And there's a nod to vikings transporting ships over land, bypassing unnavigable stretches of rivers. The french commander is memorable, however, I'd be surprised if there's a positive impression of him; he has the most off-kilter character design & mannerisms we've seen in the show.

EP7 introduces France, but EP12's world-building with Wales is more detailed, directly tied to plot, & part of overarching themes. We're introduced to & more acquainted with another main character, Canute. There's a more prominent influence of politics in the narrative. We get a better picture of gulf between vikings & the English people: the concept of 'love' is completely foreign to vikings. There's no corollary for them to latch onto, like likening 'End Times' to Ragnorok, or comparing Jesus to Thor. And we see subtle differences between members of Askeladd's crew; some mock the priest but others want to hear what he has to say, possibly giving us a taste of how vikings are converted to Christianity.

EP12's plot progression is slowed, but I'd say EP7 pauses it. Maybe people see Ear as too over the top, but he doesn't significantly influence the plot. And his supposed ability to hear warriors marching miles away is doubted by Bjorn.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Yesterday, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.