Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Which one do you rely on?

Oct 1, 3:22 AM

I normally use the score as more of a guideline than anything else to see what is the general opinion on the show I want to watch. It gives some expectations on the quality of the show and formulate my own opinion from there. I only read reviews after I finished watching a show to see if people share the same opinion as me or they think of this anime differently.

Oct 1, 5:27 AM
UwU

Neither. I don't pay much attention to them, I generally have a good idea on whether or not I want to see an Anime based on my own personal interest in it after seeing a PV or by following certain directors. Also word of mouth and general buzz and if something gets compared to something I already like~

"I wish there was a way to know
you're in the good old days before you've actually left them"
-Andy Bernard

Oct 1, 5:30 AM

I mainly rely on its cover. If the cover doesn't convince me, i skip it, otherwise i much likely watch it.
Bugs Bunny has already fucked your waifu. Just FYI.

Oct 1, 6:43 AM

Tista said:
I mainly rely on its cover. If the cover doesn't convince me, i skip it, otherwise i much likely watch it.

I would say it's a dumb thing to do, but I do it myself too.

You know what, I'll say it anyway.
What a dumb thing to do!!!!
But I still do it myself
People on MAL in a nutshell

Oct 1, 6:48 AM

-Aincrad- said:
Tista said:

I would say it's a dumb thing to do, but I do it myself too. You know what, I'll say it anyway. What a dumb thing to do. But I still do it myself.
It's not necessarily a dumb thing, however, this mainly works on people whose taste have evolved. If a new anime fan follows this example of mine, it would prove fatal since he or she may like stuff i wouldn't in a million years from now. Basically, I already know what i may like and whatnot.

Look at this for instance - https://myanimelist.net/anime/39030/Hataage_Kemono_Michi - Do you really think i'm gonna watch this piece of garbage? It's the same stuff that i've seen dozens of time and I'll skip it without thinking twice.
Modified by ryougine, Oct 1, 6:54 AM

Oct 1, 6:51 AM
If I had to pick on it would be score. But in reality neither, no point in bothering with the review of someone that I have 12% affinity with

Oct 1, 7:14 AM

Tista said:
-Aincrad- said:

I would say it's a dumb thing to do, but I do it myself too. You know what, I'll say it anyway. What a dumb thing to do. But I still do it myself.
It's not necessarily a dumb thing, however, this mainly works on people whose taste have evolved. If a new anime fan follows this example of mine, it would prove fatal since he or she may like stuff i wouldn't in a million years from now. Basically, I already know what i may like and whatnot.

That's true actually.

After a while one learns to judge an anime based on the cover and will know whether it's something they would like or not.
In that case it really isn't a dumb thing.

But there are always pleasant surprises, so I'm trying not to entirely judge an anime by its cover.

"Don't judge a book by its cover" - they say.
People on MAL in a nutshell

Oct 1, 7:35 AM

Reviews are written by some elitisits who think they have the best taste in the world, so no I prefer to rely on scores. A lot of animes I liked had bad reviews

Oct 1, 7:40 AM

Screenshots never fails me. If i like the art it's a match.

Oct 1, 7:45 AM

I just watching and see if I like it. I don't care about the opinion of others. ;)

Oct 1, 7:59 AM

Sometimes I see what others write but usually just go in and see if I like it

Oct 1, 8:25 AM

-Aincrad- said:
Tista said:

That's true actually.

After a while one learns to judge an anime based on the cover and will know whether it's something they would like or not.
In that case it really isn't a dumb thing.

But there are always pleasant surprises, so I'm trying not to entirely judge an anime by its cover.

"Don't judge a book by its cover" - they say.
Sure, that's a cool sentence and it's meaning it's true, however to a certain point tho. With enough knowledge you can judge something based from it's cover only.

Oct 1, 9:36 AM

i dont give score or reviews any consideration. my opinion of things often isnt the most popular one or the ones my friends have so i have to just watch/read it for myself.

Oct 1, 9:38 AM

I rely more on recommendations from people with the same taste as me that watched a lot of anime.

Oct 1, 10:30 AM

I don't care about the score or reviews...i liked School Days even though it has such a low score and terrible reviews.

Oct 1, 10:47 AM
Neither. My taste is superior to everyone else's.

Oct 1, 10:55 AM
Hidden gems are to be found by reviews,
scores doesn’t matter actually.
If an anime gets popularity definitely the scores won't be showing the true worth,

Oct 1, 10:57 AM
Tbh both are bullshit as u can see the top scores are really shit anime like gintama and Jojo and some other animes people wouldnt even enjoy watching. I would say that "Most popular" category is much more better in terms of anime ratings. As u cant see shit anime's being in the top 100 "gintama and jojo"

Oct 1, 11:40 AM

I just watch or read what seems interesting and see if I like it or not, I don't care about score...

Oct 1, 12:12 PM

I don't really rely on either and prefer to go in blind and form my own opinion from the ground up with no prior expectations.

But to be on topic, If I had to choose on which one to rely, I'd pick reviews in a heartbeat.
For starters, you can handpick reviews and just focus on the ones with proper grammar and structured sentences, you'll know who actually gives some thought to the anime they watch and how they perceive it after consuming in in that manner.
In general, people who write reviews are people that are at least able to put their thoughts into words, no matter how simplistic they may be.
Meanwhile scores are often unreliable as hell because there are a lot of people that slap on high ratings just 'cause.

There's the argument that some reviews are made ''just 'cause'' as well, but those reviews can easily be skimmed over and ignored, meanwhile troll scores remain ingrained within the overall score.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963

Oct 1, 12:58 PM

I don't rely on either.
I've watched plenty of highly rated shows that I found to be terrible, and I've watched plenty of lower rated shows that I found thoroughly enjoyable, so scores just aren't reliable.
Reviewers tend to prattle on, and it's essentially just a score with an added amount of text placed on it explaining said score. It's still another person's opinion, and I find that my tastes tend to vary from the vast majority of anime viewers nowadays. This is apparent any time I make a post in the recommendations thread and get a good chunk of moe/loli stuff, despite often saying upfront that I'm not interested in that artstyle.

Anyway, the main thing I look for when looking for a new show to watch is exactly that... the artstyle. Impressive art and animation is the main reason I started watching anime to begin with, and it's still the reason I watch it today. I'll usually watch the PV, if there is one, and if not, I'll go and watch the opening on YouTube. This can sometimes be a good way to get a sense of the story, but for me, it's mostly to see if it's got a cool visual style.
If it does, that's usually enough to get me to start watching, and I can judge the show on it's story, myself, as I progress through it, and if it gets bad, I'll just drop it. No harm, no foul.

However, if I'm still not completely sold on the show just by it's visuals, I'll still give it a chance sometimes if the story sounds interesting enough. So at this point I would read the synopsis, skim through some reviews and see what people are saying. Not really reading any one review super thoroughly, but just seeing the main points people are making about the show. I'll also glance at the average score, not really taking it to heart, mostly just to see if it's scored a 6.00 or higher. This is basically my own barometer of shows I've enjoyed in the past. Most, if not all, of them have an average rating between 6.00 and 10.00. Of course, I've also found shows to be watchable that have been rated between 5.00 and 6.00, but usually no lower than 5.

Anyway, I hope this helps the OP understand how I discover new shows.
::End of Transmission::

Oct 1, 1:04 PM

When I find an anime or manga that gains my interest I’ll generally check the score just to make sure that it’s not a total mess and that I won’t be wasting my time if I decide to watch or read it.
You’re loved

Oct 1, 1:12 PM
Chocobo

Neither.

Reviews / Score never are a factor in my decision for deciding to add a series to my PTW.

I read the Synopsis, decide if it sounds interesting/something I'd watch, and that's it.

Oct 1, 4:35 PM

When adding to my 'PTW' queue, I rely on the recommendations. I find them to be more objective and they tell you straight up what the anime is like; especially when being compared to other anime you've already seen and enjoyed/hated.

(I don't consider scores or reviews).

Oct 2, 12:32 AM
I don't read reviews, scores can help me decide, but sometimes I'll just pick whatever, especially if it's recommended by someone I trust.

Oct 2, 4:18 AM

I don't care about either of them. I watched only fmab for it's score.

Oct 2, 4:34 AM
I've recently been looking for the worst animes with like a 4 rating, to my surprise they are some of my favourite anime to watch. So I don't go based off score or reviews, I just watch the anime and determine if I like it. But genre does make a difference if I see mecha, game, school, sports, romance, harem, etc..in the genre's high chance I won't watch it
~AnimeDownUnder~

Oct 2, 12:04 PM

Usually, i rely on score (For my taste)

6 below - trash
6 ~ 7 - poor
7 ~ 7.5 - bad
7.5 ~ 8 - average
8 ~ 8.5 - good
8.5 ~ 9 - great
9+ superb

Obviosly, there is some exceptions, both for low ratings and high ratings

Oct 2, 2:14 PM

I don't rely on either. I rely on the plot. If the story sounds interesting then I watch it. It if doesn't then I don't watch it.

Oct 2, 2:22 PM

The way I do things is just look at the score, if it's below a 7, that's an immediate yeet, unless it is still airing and it's early on. Anything else is fair game.
If a show has a high score, it's got higher priority with me, wanting to see what the fuss is about, unless the genres/themes don't mesh with me.
OFC there's scores I disregard/de-prioritize like sequel effects, meme votes or just anime that have been recommended by someone with more reliability than the score system.

That said, reviews are helpful for when I want to narrow down which ones I wanna watch.
Like when I'm going into an anime that's uncharted territory, with lower scores and familiar genres or higher scores and unfamiliar genres, I typically read the most and least positive reviews among the most helpful reviews to decide whether or not to watch them.

Without scores, navigating what anime I want to watch, on the macro, would be an absolute pain, whereas without reviews, choosing anime, on the micro, is somewhat harder.

Oct 2, 4:41 PM

10 years back, yeah. But not now. I let my intuition/experience pick my anime.
<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

Oct 2, 4:42 PM

i reply on score more rather than reviews. reviews are just individuals opinions and scores are like overall yknow sooooo

Oct 2, 10:52 PM

I couldn't imagine anyone relying on either one of them (yes, we are using the word rely). But as for trust if you might ask, it would be reviews for me, because scores on MAL are equivalent to that of IMDb, which means absolute distrust.
. . .

Oct 2, 11:11 PM

i usually look at scores. mal users inflate their ratings so much that when an anime is below a 7, it's probably pretty bad. reviewers like to talk at length about audio or art or other stuff i don't care about as if they're masters on each subject.

i like looking at recommendations or seeing scenes/openings. it's how i get into most anime i watch

Oct 3, 2:53 AM

Neither, except the score is ridiculously low (like <~6.30). Most times I only read reviews after watching, so they can't influence me. It's insane to base your opinion on four, five people you don't even know.

Oct 3, 3:40 AM

Not reviews per se but it's helpful to know why people who like a show like it.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but it's probably going to involve frogs. I freakin' hate those things."
- Albert Einstein

Oct 6, 5:32 AM

Most times I read the synopsis, and go ahead if I like the look of it, and I quickly glance at the score / review which helps me get more excited if it all.. but they never made a huge difference in my choice of watching.

Oct 6, 7:23 AM

Relying on reviews or score is stupid , because everyone have different taste. In my opinion the most important is synopsis or trailer of a given anime.

For example Ping Pong the Animation has high score 8.62 a lot of good reviews so it should be ''good'' but unfortunately for anime which it has such a high score I expected better art and story and more expressive characters. Of course this is only my opinion with which you can agree with me or not.

Oct 6, 7:45 AM

MAL reviews are generally horrendous. It's common knowledge at this point. Relying on scores to decide what to watch isn't perfect either, because while many of our opinions may line with the majority (including mine), it's generally better than reviews, because they reflect the majority opinion, rather than a few individuals' opinions.

LordPonczek said:
Relying on reviews or score is stupid , because everyone have different taste. In my opinion the most important is synopsis or trailer of a given anime.

For example Ping Pong the Animation has high score 8.62 a lot of good reviews so it should be ''good'' but unfortunately for anime which it has such a high score I expected better art and story and more expressive characters. Of course this is only my opinion with which you can agree with me or not.

Not everybody has different tastes. Many people like mecha, many people like romance, etc. Sure, the people who like romance more than mecha obviously have different tastes than the ones who like mecha more than romance, but there are trends in our tastes, if that makes sense.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Oct 9, 1:32 PM
@Platypus7:

Hey there, let's start with the most important point which is actually out of subject (my bad xD) :

"Statistics are literally the basis of science"

Absolutely not. Any serious statistical study ends up with "This study is not enough to prove anything".
Statistics are used to define a direction for more serious studies based on actual facts. Only the media use statistics to try and prove things like, in our case, public opinion. It's pure marketing.

As to answer your question "where I got this idea": I literally live of science. Have a scientific background coupled with engineering studies. I've read studies on a daily basis and have worked on a bunch of projects.
Statistics are never used to prove anything, mate. Most of the time, they're used only to convince investors that they're not wasting their money on us.

Anyway, back to the subject:

1) ... You literally pointed out the same issue as I did: "people who rate and people who don't will have significantly different opinions"
Scores only count people who rated it (obviously xD). That's the exact same issue with every statistics: they imply that the values not taken into account won't matter in the balance. It's pure speculations, buddy.

There's also the fact that from one person to another, the meaning of a certain rating changes. Someone can consider 10/10 is still mediocre (for example, someone who doesn't like the anime industry).
There are no defined rules behind those numbers, for the very reason that those numbers aren't actually defined themselves.

"you can just learn the meaning of the scores relative to your scoring system"
Hum... no? This meaning simply does not exist. Just because 2 animes are rated the same doesn't mean anybody will equally like them.

2) Again, you point out the issue yourself ^^'. The sample size is almost always incredibly small.

3) I agree it may not be that significant, but at least we agree it does exist.

4) "as extreme ratings go both ways they balance each other out to an extent."
That's the thing: we can't know to what extent they balance each other out.
Maybe for a certain anime there were only haters who rated it.
Maybe for another there were only fanboys.
Every possibility is... well... possible ^^'. Which is why it does break the significance of the number: you have to speculate that these extreme ratings do balance each other out, but it's reall just that: speculations.
If there was only one hater for 100 fanboys, the score is unbalanced. If there was 30 haters for 1 fanboy, the score is unbalanced.

With all that said, I actually agree with you about reviews ^^. Personally I don't mind all the trouble, but I can see how that would be annoying.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.

Oct 9, 2:33 PM

@Dante012

I'm a zoologist, if you're scientific background is in engineering it makes sense you'd see statistics so differently. In biology statistics are vital, they're also highly relevant in the other sciences but don't actually prove anything as you said. Zoology and related sciences are built upon theories backed by statistically significant evidence. Things are rarely considered "proven" if ever. Whatever theories the current data supports best is accepted as "true". Statistics are how biology functions as there are far too many potential confounding variables to definitively understand the natural world. My statement that "statistics are literally the basis of science" was a bit too general and probably a little patronising, sorry.

Just to be clear before I address your counterpoints, my main problem is that your statement that scores are totally worthless. Not that your points were meaningless, although I do think they're misdirected.

1 - I said if you somehow believe that. You're basing your argument on the assumption that that statement is true, but you have no evidence to suggest that it is. Unless there's a reason to believe non-raters have significantly different opinions to raters it's reasonable to accept that a large sample size will account for differences in rating systems and opinions.
If we do assume the statement to be true for all cases then scores can still be related to your own, it's only significant differences in biases between scores that cause scores to be worthless, so although your point is a useful one it doesn't hold any merit for your original argument.

"you can just learn the meaning of the scores relative to your scoring system"
I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your criticism of this. What I mean by this statement is that you can learn whether a MAL score of below 6 is something you're likely to consider bad, or whether a MAL score of above 8 is something your likely to consider good etc. You make inferences on your likelihood of scoring an anime above or below a certain level based on its MAL score. You can't prove anything, this is just statistics. You can also adjust for genres. Harems might generally be rated relatively low on MAL for example but if your a big fan of harems you can tell that a harem with a 7.xx score is closer to the equivalent of an 8.xx MAL score for you.

2 - That really depends on what you consider a small sample size. Most scores are based on 10s of thousands of ratings. I wouldn't consider them small. Many are in the 100s of thousands, that's as good a sample size as you could hope to get. Of course, there are many unreliable scores as there are many shows with very small sample sizes, however these are the shows next to no one watches so it's not a big problem that their scores aren't useful. Either that or they're movies that haven't been screened or been released outside of Japan yet so their scores tend to be unreliable and fluctuate a lot as more people get access until stabilising.

3 - Nothing to say here.

4 - That's true, my point was that if it's a problem all scores have it doesn't remove any meaning from the scores and it shouldn't be a problem if the haters/boosters aren't a significant fraction of the raters. The score will be unbalanced if there's any haters, but that doesn't matter if the imbalance isn't significant. If haters/boosters alter the score at any point after the second decimal place they're effectively irrelevant as the change in score is so minor it doesn't disrupt it in any meaningful way.

TL;DR - Your main issue seems to be how reliable you consider the statistics to be, I personally think samples are generally large enough to make informed decisions. You're also criticising intra-score bias, not inter-score bias which is the relevant issue for determining whether scores can be useful or not.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]