Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Did Noble Red redeem themselves?
Sep 28, 2019 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
Since Noble Red trio already bid their farewell and and 5th season is about to conclude, I doubt they will return, so let's start the discussion.

Did Noble Red redeem themselves?

There is recurring theme in this show, that couple of antagonists turns out to be just a pawns, are being f*cked over by Big Bad and eventually are teaming up to take Big Bad one way or the other. For me, this is getting annoying, because as the series goes it becomes expectable and kind of works as a spoiler.

But were writers right to pull this off as well? Did they redeem themselves?
I'll go with BIG NO.
I don't think, that executing one of the most overused cliche in anime redeems them from murdering almost 100000 innocent people, children even, for pure amusement and later on taking whole hospital hostage.

PiromyslSep 28, 2019 8:24 AM

Sep 28, 2019 8:31 AM

May 2016
Probably since is the last season, also, i just want to end todays review on brigher note~
Sep 28, 2019 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
Considering the fact that they've been put aside by the bigger picture that is the culmination of everything that was happened and why it did, I'll say that while they didn't fully redeem themselves like most of the previous antagonists, they did enough to make me not hate them anymore like I did earlier on.
Sep 29, 2019 8:35 AM
Dec 2013
I do not think your perception of them is in line with what is shown, especially the amusement part.

For NR redemption. Well, Elsa was the easiest to be redeemed, so of course she was. Call me crazy, but I think its understandable for an abused 14 years old girl to not have a perfect sense of morality. And even then, she is one of the most tame Symphogear villains, never mocking anyone or laughing at them, something all other villains do. The moment she said "I don't want to do this anymore", she was redeemed.

Vanessa I actually place under villains like Fine and Ver in terms of how bad she was. Yeah she was ruthless, but only when there was an objective gain from it, she held a hospital hostage because she wanted to escape, not because she was a sore loser or just to see what would happen, something other villains did. On the other side, she was the leader of NR and the adult mother figure to Elsa and Millaarc, this places the crimes and pains of the other two as her responsibility. I think the sacrifice was enough for to be redeemed.

Millaarc, well, I was really thinking she wouldn't get redeemed, the show to me seemed to not be building up to that. Then someone pointed to me some scenes, some reactions and some backstory, and I think I understood what makes her not Adam/Fudo tier bad and irredeemable, in the sense she can love other people, she can be selfless, but the mix of torture, vampirism and the pressure from others broke her, still deep down there was a light that Adam/Fudo lacked, a sense of 'in a better world she would have been normal'. That said, I do not think the show handled this well, so I am waiting for the blu-rays to see if they change anything or if the OVAs add more context, for now, it really felt odd she was redeemed.
Sep 29, 2019 9:31 AM
Jul 2013
They were trash from the beginning to their end. Their motivation was fine, the way Kaneko was handling them was atrocious, and having them suffer from the usual Symphogear villain fate of "self suicide" alongside stupid glitter made me annoyed, but what can I expect from the formula man...
Sep 29, 2019 9:54 AM

Mar 2016
Armados said:
They were trash from the beginning to their end. Their motivation was fine, the way Kaneko was handling them was atrocious, and having them suffer from the usual Symphogear villain fate of "self suicide" alongside stupid glitter made me annoyed, but what can I expect from the formula man...

Well it's not easy to try to utilize their villain roles as effectively as they could've, when the bigger encompassing culmination of the entire story was also going on.
Sep 29, 2019 10:12 AM
Jul 2013
Ryuseishun said:
Armados said:

Well it's not easy to try to utilize their villain roles as effectively as they could've, when the bigger encompassing culmination of the entire story was also going on.

Uh... they just lasted for way too long, and they felt completely stupid. They were offered several times to create bonds with others but insisted that they can't just because "they aren't human beings". I understand that needing blood to survive is something they can't simply ignore, but they never acted logically according to everything they were saying throughout the season.

The fact they took 12 freaking episodes of this season didn't help them, as Fudou and Shem Ha fell short because of that.
Sep 29, 2019 11:09 AM

Mar 2016
Armados said:
Ryuseishun said:

Uh... they just lasted for way too long, and they felt completely stupid. They were offered several times to create bonds with others but insisted that they can't just because "they aren't human beings". I understand that needing blood to survive is something they can't simply ignore, but they never acted logically according to everything they were saying throughout the season.

The fact they took 12 freaking episodes of this season didn't help them, as Fudou and Shem Ha fell short because of that.

I mean, I guess I can somewhat understand your point, though there was also the decision whether or not to just dispose of them early in favor of the later, too. Symphogear isn't actually the best with the villain setup and format, but then again, a majority of other "great" anime series aren't good at that, either.
Sep 29, 2019 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
Wanting no redemption in Symphogear is like not wanting anyone to score goals in a soccer themed anime, its like the spirit of the show itself and one of its main themes, something you seem to misjudge as hard as the NR scenes if you reaction in the episode discussion thread is anything to go by.
Jan 15, 2022 12:33 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Late but yes, they get redeemed. But that's not the issue. My problem with them is that they're weak and forgettable villains aside from Fudo Kazanari (unpopular opinion but I like how the writers had him rot in jail than be killed by Tsubasa). I wouldn't call the previous villains the best antagonists I've seen, but they had something going for them and had some charisma. And I found Milaarc to be kind of annoying so it's good that she's gone. In fact, I forgot about Shem-ha existing lmao. This is one of those cases where I like the main cast way more than the antagonists. After reading Armado's post, it would be best if they removed Noble Red and focused solely on Shem-Ha and Fudo.

More topics from this board

» New Symphogear project announced

Monkiesmata - Nov 20, 2022

12 by AxiaG »»
Apr 9, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

42 by rsc-pl »»
Dec 10, 2023 5:02 AM

Poll: » Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2019

85 by MxS7HGS »»
Sep 17, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2019

52 by MxS7HGS »»
Sep 17, 2023 7:51 PM

Poll: » Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2019

41 by MxS7HGS »»
Sep 17, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.